Cheese: Let's get one thing straight!

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

I’m not sure about the rest of you, but I’m sick and tired of hearing that X tactic is cheese but Y tactic is perfectly viable and based on “skillz”.

So let’s just get one thing straight here:

There is no such thing as cheese, only players willing to use whatever means are at their disposal to win.

You don’t like D/P? Good, don’t use it.
You don’t like CnD chaining? Good, don’t do it.
You don’t like cheese spec X? Good, don’t use it.

Here’s a bit of a read for those of you who are about to scream and cry and moan about how only bad players use cheese specs because they’re obviously addicted to dairy products:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

/end

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

Edit for clarity:

Just because players will use everything in their means to win, doesn’t mean that something can’t be cheesy. Obviously people will play to win, why do you even need to tell us this?

(edited by Sunflowers.1729)

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

Because the term cheese is ridiculous.. ppl should get over it.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

its over now get over getting over it

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

The issue is the “lawl-I-so-good-you-so-bad” from the people running these “cheese” builds after they defeat an opponent using a build that’s more difficult to play. Feeling proud about a kill when it was 100% their googled build and had nothing to do with their own skill.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

i feel good about my build. all the sudden s/d started popping up alot. nobody ever used it bc it was so confusing to play.... now peopl are trying. :P 0 30 20 20 0 wierd choices tho

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

The issue is the “lawl-I-so-good-you-so-bad” from the people running these “cheese” builds after they defeat an opponent using a build that’s more difficult to play. Feeling proud about a kill when it was 100% their googled build and had nothing to do with their own skill.

Read my comment, get over it.. ppl trash talk.. that is nothing new.

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

“Trash talk” goes both ways lol. What do you think the “cheese build” retort is exactly? That term is simply a way of verbalizing an absolute lack of respect for anyone requiring builds like that to feel successful.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

“Trash talk” goes both ways lol. What do you think the “cheese build” retort is exactly? That term is simply a way of verbalizing an absolute lack of respect for anyone requiring builds like that to feel successful.

Referring to the fact that ppl are making an “issue” out of it..

just to be clear.. im telling everyone to get over it.. the ppl who says its cheese and the ppl defending it..

in Thief

Posted by: purgatoryz.6038

purgatoryz.6038

These builds always existed. Just because someone knew about it before it became fotm and now decides to call it cheese doesn’t make it any less viable.

Don’t be a hipster. “I knew about S/D before it was cool”. No one cares.

in Thief

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

If every build is a google build… who puts the builds on google?

Oh that’s right, “hard” to play builds are “better” because they require more “skill” to use than the so called google builds. Then again, if you think about the way that builds are structured in GW2, all the “good” and “interesting” builds will be on google (and are thus google builds) and most of the “average or bad” builds will also be on google.

Hell, if the build is on google then the counter will also be on google, but it’s too difficult to search for a counter right?

In terms of builds; harder != better, not does using a harder build make you a better player, especially if you complain about the people using the so called “easy mode” builds killing you and your “harder and obviously superior” build.

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

I would say that that article is from the stone age, but it seems to be 2000.

I stopped taking anyone on GW2 seriously when spvp heroes started taking the leaderboards seriously, d/d eles whined about other specs and people claimed that a ranger cant use his pet in 1v1s because it wouldn’t be a 1v1. Dumb individuals have to exist for there to be intelligent ones.

in Thief

Posted by: multani.1452

multani.1452

Yeah let’s get one thing straight::…..Sharp cheddar is superior!

Attachments:

“I got ten voices in my head and NONE of them like you.”
~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

in Thief

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

I mean… I love the cheese… its no bacon, but its still really good…

Some cheese stinks… just saying…

in Thief

multani.1452

I mean… I love the cheese… its no bacon, but its still really good…

Some cheese stinks… just saying…

Gouda lover! >:T

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

If every build is a google build… who puts the builds on google?

Oh that’s right, “hard” to play builds are “better” because they require more “skill” to use than the so called google builds. Then again, if you think about the way that builds are structured in GW2, all the “good” and “interesting” builds will be on google (and are thus google builds) and most of the “average or bad” builds will also be on google.

Hell, if the build is on google then the counter will also be on google, but it’s too difficult to search for a counter right?

In terms of builds; harder != better, not does using a harder build make you a better player, especially if you complain about the people using the so called “easy mode” builds killing you and your “harder and obviously superior” build.

I don’t care what build a person plays, I’m simply pointing out the error in logic of those players assuming they are so “pr0” and using slurs like “you suck” after they win some 1v1 with a build that requires half the effort to play of their opponents.

I don’t speak to them like that even when their build falls to my handicapped support build. Why on EARTH would I have respect for them when they have this false sense of “skill” combined with the audacity to claim they are somehow a “superior” player by belittling another player?

TLDR: I’ll stop calling people out on their cheesy builds when they cease to insult players attempting to break out of the mold.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

Be proud of your cheese. I’ve read about ‘guilt’ and ‘sensitivity’ and stuff… sounds exhausting. Just play what works best if that is what makes you most happy.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

SO any build that is actually viable is called cheese right ? LOL.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

The fact that there are “good builds” and “bad builds” speaks volumes. I’m not talking someone wearing a blue set versus someone wearing an exotic set here, but rather two people wearing the top gear for their spec.

Offense vs Offense.

If these two are balanced right, two people who are maxed out for damage output (doesn’t matter if it’s though conditions, direct damage, crit, etc.) stepping toe to toe and trading blows should result in the winner having no more than 5% health left. In short, they should be just one or two shots away from death.

Defensive vs Defensive.

If these two are balanced right, then they would end up with a stalemate. Neither one can break the others tank. I had this happen between me and a mesmer. He couldn’t get me down past half hp and while he was alway under half hp, he just wouldn’t go down. I ended up dying because I was careless and got too close to those defender npc’s.

Offensive vs Defensive.

While the tank doesn’t deal a lot of damage, the dps’er doesn’t have a strong tank and while the tank can negate a lot of damage, the dps’er deals out a lot of damage. Basically, the tank’s damage – dps’ defense should equal the dps’ damage – the tank’s defense. It may end up in a stalemate or it may end up with the winner being just one or two shots away from death.

“Perfect Imbalance” is a myth. It’s nothing more than a lame excuse from Dev’s to justify their inability to approach the issue with balance with an analytical mind.

Min/Maxing is a symptom of poor balancing.

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Any build is viable, some just take more effort to get the same reward. Most people won’t call ya out on a build so long as you aren’t a kitteny prick.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

Any build is viable, some just take more effort to get the same reward. Most people won’t call ya out on a build so long as you aren’t a kitteny prick.

How are you going to do more with your p/p build to get the same utility and damage as someone else?

in Thief

multani.1452

well if pretty much any build is considered cheese, I declare my build the “Sharp bacon cheddar eliminator”

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

well if pretty much any build is considered cheese, I declare my build the “Sharp bacon cheddar eliminator”

Sounds yummy!

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

How dare people not just randomly assign trait points and use bad weapon sets.

22/24/18/6 P/P ftw

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Thief

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Sounds yummy!

How about…

Bacon flavored cheese, wrapped in bacon, dipped in bacon and cheese flavored batter and deep fried.

I call it, “The Heart Attack”.

It’s a breakfast food item that is to be eaten with coffee flavored coffee and followed up with a brand cigarettes called “Tumors”.

Gotta love Denis Leary.

in Thief

multani.1452

Sounds yummy!

How about…

Bacon flavored cheese, wrapped in bacon, dipped in bacon and cheese flavored batter and deep fried.

I call it, “The Heart Attack”.

It’s a breakfast food item that is to be eaten with coffee flavored coffee and followed up with a brand cigarettes called “Tumors”.

Gotta love Denis Leary.

Sounds like something you can get on the Denny’s menu :T

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Of course there is cheese, especially in games that are aimed towards casual players. Believing otherwise is just plain naive. :P

From hardcore games its generally more difficult to find cheese since it’s not intentionally build in, but it tends to exist there too.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

pfft attacking is cheap and cheesy!

Real players use only heal skills to win the fight! everyone else are “n00b cheesers”

in Thief

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I think the issue is that 2222222222 is neither skill nor is it effective.
So if you manage to catch a 20% hp enemy in the middle of a fight with 6 heartseekers in a row, chances are they’re gonna be rolling their eyes at you/

in Thief

Posted by: Miserymachine.7512

Miserymachine.7512

All other types of cheese make a yearly pilgrimage to worship at the altar of Brie, the one true cheese.

Attachments: