Cheesiest/most annoying thief build

in Thief

Posted by: mathras.2450

mathras.2450

Just out of innocent curiosity, what’s the cheesiest/most annoying thief build knocking around at the moment?

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

P/D Apothecary’s, probably. Hard as hell for anyone to kill.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

D/P
0/20/30/20/0

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

With perplexity.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

anything with sword mainhand acrobatics and trickery i say

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

mathras.2450

D/P
0/20/30/20/0

Do you know of a link to the specific spec? I haven’t thief’d for over 6 months, a little out of touch with the class :P

Also, what should I use offhand?

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

P/D + SB Dire Condition Bunker <—- most annoying

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

This thread is going to be filled with every single thief build there is, at one point or another. The thief class in general is annoying for people to fight against.

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

A dual-S/D evasion thief.

P/D only bothers me because of how stupid the people that play it are (presuming they’re using it as a serious weaponset as opposed to using it just for the fun of using a MH pistol).

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Any thief build it seems…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Mostly P/D. It’s annoying because it’s part of the condition meta, pretty tanky, has sustainability, and even if it’s predictable it’s hard to counter. You usually just end up either tying or running away, unless the P/D user really do suck a bit.

Sword users usually require a bit more skill, so it becomes really obvious if they aren’t experienced. And I’d say D/P is a bit too predictable and usually they end up running away if their initial burst fails.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

I’m not joking, but trust me when I say that the dual shortbow evasion thief with energy runes and the trait that gives initiative when you switch weapons is THE most annoying and even effective build there is. (pvp and wvw obviously) It’s the best troll build around and they will hate you for it.

Gotta love #3 skill on SB

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

D/P
0/20/30/20/0

Do you know of a link to the specific spec? I haven’t thief’d for over 6 months, a little out of touch with the class :P

Also, what should I use offhand?

Traits: 0/20/30/20/0
20-Practiced tolerance, and Furious retalliation
30-Shadows embrace, infusion of shadows or shadow protector, and shadows rejuvenation
20-For tier 1 adept trait use any of your preference. but for the master trait Hard to catch or pain response

Armor: PTV Gear w. Divinity, or Travelers runes.
Weapons: PTV or Zerker Dagger/Pistol—-Shortbow
Sigils- 1 being a bloodlust or perception any of your choosing, and the other what ever you’d like. Most likely Air sigil.
Trinkets- Cavaliers/Knights/PTV/or Zerker trinkets. -Any of your choosing.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

I’m not joking, but trust me when I say that the dual shortbow evasion thief with energy runes and the trait that gives initiative when you switch weapons is THE most annoying and even effective build there is. (pvp and wvw obviously) It’s the best troll build around and they will hate you for it.

+1 to this. I once combined this with Quick Pockets, Hastened Replenishment, Withdraw, RFI, Inf Signet, and Sig of Agility. Trolled on a half dozen guys at the edge of a big fight.

Still feel bad about it.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

+1 to this. I once combined this with Quick Pockets, Hastened Replenishment, Withdraw, RFI, Inf Signet, and Sig of Agility. Trolled on a half dozen guys at the edge of a big fight.

Still feel bad about it.

Yeah, the issue though is actually killing people with it. It just doesn’t happen, so the build isn’t necessarily OP.

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

^ Is it an issue, though? In WvW at least, consider the effect it has on the snowballing of a large group fight when one person can effectively remove X people from a fight.

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Lol, that’s true. Nothing more infuriating than seeing some idiot mindlessly spamming 3 on SB. It’s not like he’s doing anything useful, but there’s a burning hatred inside of you to kill him/her, and it’s ridiculously difficult to do so.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

^ Is it an issue, though? In WvW at least, consider the effect it has on the snowballing of a large group fight when one person can effectively remove X people from a fight.

I think that ArenaNet is perfectly okay with there being troll builds to effectively halt a server’s operations for a time. If you have one guy stopping a server from getting past their spawn, or at least the majority, for 10 minutes while you take Stonemist, that’s a tactically beneficial advantage and shouldn’t be nerfed.

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

Lol, that’s true. Nothing more infuriating than seeing some idiot mindlessly spamming 3 on SB. It’s not like he’s doing anything useful, but there’s a burning hatred inside of you to kill him/her, and it’s ridiculously difficult to do so.

Do you have some sort of mind-reading device, then? I’d say it’s a fair bet that someone pushing SB#3 knows exactly what it does.

in Thief

Posted by: Noliver.1475

Noliver.1475

Still feel bad about it.

can also stick in a d/d shortbow condi build..

using #3 on d/d and #3 on shortbow just make the theif dodge forever

I literatelly jumped into a zerg that was breaking down a gate with d/d

used 3,3,3,3 dodge, dodge, withdrawl, swap to sb, 3,3,3,3 dodge dodge, swap weapons 3, and cloak and dagger the nearest opponent to stealth away with hs….

it is a very effective troll build..

in Thief

Posted by: Puz.8529

Puz.8529

I’m currently running a ‘troll’ build. Seeing so many FOTM warriors out there I opted to go P/D + SB with Dire gear. Makes me tough, do very nasty condis and I can simply stay out of melee range with both nr 3 skills!

Do still get stuck in too deep being a toe-to-toe kinda person. But if you play this safely, you’ll whittle down any enemy you want.

In larger fights this obviously is less straight up dps. But the poison you can do from stealth is rather amazing!

It’s a great learning spec. First go more into defensive abilities until you are comfortable surviving. Then slowly respect into more output until you hit that sweet spot!

Puz – TDA

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Yep. My current WvW troll build. Condition bombing small gank squads with bleeds, poison, cripple and torment – just beautiful! Each bleed tick for 160, and with 10-20 stacks per person that adds up quite fast

Here is the build. I sometimes swap caltrops for shadow refuge, spider venom or skelk venom. If fighting 1v1 or smaller groups I go with thief guild. If you’re good at landing CnD you can go with withdraw for more might, dodges and bleeds with caltrops.

With this build you’re close to immortal. You can stealth a lot, stack conditions and let them do the job while you heal up in stealth. Condition bombing is fun too (activate caltrops and shadowstep inside a group, swap shortbow and drop poison field, shadowstep out). So much damage with so little effort.

Puz
You don’t need to power up later on. Your conditions are actually stronger with full dire set compared to carrion, because of food and crystals. The only thing you’ll lose is physical damage, but the survivability you get from dire is far more needed than extra damage from CnD.

Melder – Thief

(edited by Geiir.7603)

in Thief

Posted by: phaeris.7604

phaeris.7604

p/d with perp runes is thea easiet/cheese build.

It’s the equivalent of the hambow build, requires no skill to play but honetsly, after coming up against it (more and more it seems) I just don’t stay to fight, and there’s nothing they can do.

In zergs it does nothing as well. It relies on someone sticking around and trying to fight you.

in Thief

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

Can confirm. Running Dire Armor with apothecary trinkets. Dying optional. (Running venoms, not stealth. Runes of torment.)

… Also when i made this build I didn’t honestly know meta was about to be condition damage. Rest assured I cry myself to sleep every night knowing my beautiful baby is cheese as hell now.

(edited by ryan.6217)

in Thief

mathras.2450

It’s the equivalent of the hambow build, requires no skill to play but honetsly, after coming up against it (more and more it seems) I just don’t stay to fight, and there’s nothing they can do.

In zergs it does nothing as well. It relies on someone sticking around and trying to fight you.

How does P/D work with perplexity runes? There’s no interrupts in P/D, correct? Just curious as this has been intriguing me (confusion and torment are my favourite conditions in this game).

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

How does P/D work with perplexity runes? There’s no interrupts in P/D, correct? Just curious as this has been intriguing me (confusion and torment are my favourite conditions in this game).

They either trait into trickery or run D/P in ther offhand for alternative stealth access.

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Do you have some sort of mind-reading device, then? I’d say it’s a fair bet that someone pushing SB#3 knows exactly what it does.

What? Don’t twist my words, that’s not what I said at all. Look at the definition of “mindlessly”, I never stated or even implied that a player that spams SB #3 doesn’t know what the skill does.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: Puz.8529

Puz.8529

Puz
You don’t need to power up later on. Your conditions are actually stronger with full dire set compared to carrion, because of food and crystals. The only thing you’ll lose is physical damage, but the survivability you get from dire is far more needed than extra damage from CnD.

Aye, I meant that you can pick traits aimed for more stealth and healing in stealth while learning. To possibly swap to more condition / duration based.

I would stick to full dire indeed!

Puz – TDA

in Thief

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

SSoooo what i like about this thread is that it was forged by a thief, and then all of us thieves came here and dogged on thieves. We covered bunker condi thief, shortbow evade thief, D/P thief, and S/x Thief… what that means is that D/D backstab thief is the only build we have that is cheese. Careful gang, whats cheese to us is OP to everyone else. I’ma go make a post about top most difficult to perfect thieve builds. see yu guys there!

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Stealth caltrop condition builds, lol.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Can we not just generalize it to:
Thief Build
… I mean … there’s constant complaints about everything.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!