Cloak and Dagger should blind as baseline

in Thief

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Thoughts?

I feel that X/D just has so little to offer. X/P has a blind field and daze, while we have a cripple that’s not worth the initiative unless there’s two enemies, and CnD which is easily blinded, blocked, or evaded due to the predictable cast time. With acro gutted as it is, there is just not enough defense available for dagger thieves compared to pistol blinds. Cloaked in Shadows as a GM trait is also just not a reasonable solution as it is not justifiable to take it over Rejuvenation.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

(edited by BeepBoopBop.5403)

in Thief

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

Drop the vuln from CnD add blind, done. X/D suddenly 100% more viable. buff /d #4 to deal 50% more damage and you just about fixed the whole off dagger thing.

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I’ll happily drop the vulnerability for blind.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Aye, +1.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Yessss i would love this

in Thief

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

I also concur as a D/D player.

in Thief

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Would make more sense too. You’re sweeping a cloak into their eyes or something.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

In order to get an on demand stealth on my d/d build along with the blind I have been starting to trait smoke screen. Now compared to black powder it covers a smaller area but you can still whirl (blinding bolts) , leap ( stealth) and use a projectile (blindness) through it. The INI cost is 0 and it lasts 7 seconds while blocking projectiles.

d/d has all three of these finishers. It a bit harder to use since the area it covers is smaller but lasts almost twice as long as black powder.

Now one thing I have been trying to do and I think I pulled it off a few times (I am talking here of the stealth stacking to 7 seconds ) is to smokescreen over a downed teammate (blinds enemies and blocks projectiles) then do a leap for stealth and immediately rez. Merciful ambush adds on top along with 25 percent less damge if they AOE the area.

I am finding I like this much more with d/d then the SR and it brings utility to the d/d set that d/p users take for granted.

Yes there the long cooldown but it no where near as long as blinding powder and SR and and has more of that utility. The old blind on stealth was certainly better as far as the blind goes in the D/d set but smokescreen is very functional.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I like this idea.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Posted by: Mattigan.6395

Mattigan.6395

+1!
Message Body length must at least be 15

in Thief

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

+1…. but wouldn’t it be too OP for PvE.

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

+1…. but wouldn’t it be too OP for PvE.

Not sure if trolling

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

babazhook.6805

Keep in mind the trait that blinds on stealth becomes all but useless and would need a redo.

in Thief

Posted by: DHawk.2687

DHawk.2687

Keep in mind the trait that blinds on stealth becomes all but useless and would need a redo.

you mean the trait that is now a gm (which it shouldn’t even be Anet!), the one noone uses since there is no sense in using it over SR, sadly.
i loved that trait, i needed it for DD, but well, SR is more important, so i have to go without it
and if you use CnD blind as argument, pistol #5 would also make CiS useless..

in Thief

babazhook.6805

you mean the trait that is now a gm (which it shouldn’t even be Anet!), the one noone uses since there is no sense in using it over SR, sadly.
i loved that trait, i needed it for DD, but well, SR is more important, so i have to go without it
and if you use CnD blind as argument, pistol #5 would also make CiS useless..

Oh I am not using it as an argument at all. I am just saying the trait would need to be redone. I like the idea of might stacks in stealth as some other suggested off it coupled with the falling damage trait

To add to this I do play d/d. I am doing pretty good with it and do not take SR all the time. It 50/50 with VA. While I see no reason to take CIS as a GM trait Venomous aura is a very good choice.

in Thief

DHawk.2687

I still play dd post patch as well and came up with a high damage high sustain build, I’m not really having any problems, the only thing i miss is CiS
because with my new build i run 2,85k power, with 21,5k health and 250% crit dmg
but i still prefer the old system, yes we had less dmg, but honestly, who needed more dmg on their thieves? xD
even tho i have more power and crit damage now i still feel weaker than pre patch ^^

in Thief

babazhook.6805

I actually wanted to see how well a condi build would work with d/d as i tend to scoff at those that suggest a given build MUST be power or condition. I do have a few thieves so like to play around.

It suprisingly effective and I was 1v4ing people , dropping them and not using stealth.
(using DB over top of a smokescreen can make you all but untouchable)

Now whether one plays power or condition , I think one of the keys is getting that vitality up. It not just the one shots of power that will get you with too low a health pool , it those new condition stacks that can tick so high and take you down before you have time to react. As such in SOME ways the change to SE helps here as you can not afford to cleanse a weakness or a cripple on stealth over a tick of burning thats hitting you at 3k per tick hoping that gets cleansed at the 4 second mark.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

DHawk.2687

I actually wanted to see how well a condi build would work with d/d as i tend to scoff at those that suggest a given build MUST be power or condition. I do have a few thieves so like to play around.

It suprisingly effective and I was 1v4ing people , dropping them and not using stealth.

Now whether one plays power or condition , I think one of the keys is getting that vitality up. It not just the one shots of power that will get you with too low a health pool , it those new condition stacks that can tick so high and take you down before you have time to react. As such in SOME ways the change to SE helps here as you can not afford to cleanse a weakness or a cripple on stealth over a tick of burning thats hitting you at 3k per tick hoping that gets cleansed at the 4 second mark.

i agree with that, so many thieves still go full zerk and maybe oneshot something if they are lucky and the enemy doesnt random dodge, blind, stun, cc, blink etc

I’ve pushed my health over 20k and still manage to oneshot or burst ppl down very fast
there is no need for zerk, not with the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

i agree with that, so many thieves still go full zerk and maybe oneshot something if they are lucky and the enemy doesnt random dodge, blind, stun, cc, blink etc

I’ve pushed my health over 20k and still manage to oneshot or burst ppl down very fast

Question: does this 20k include guard stacks?

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Reinn.7436

Reinn.7436

+1 can’t say anything much but yes, drop the vuln and add blind. As a d/d; s/d player this would make much sense. Not OP but quite useful.

“Even thieves have principles to follow.”

-Chinese Proverb.

in Thief

DHawk.2687

If I run full guard stacks I’m at 21.86k health
But no I’m not full ascended

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

So it’s pretty much Valkyrie’s Armor + Weapons, wurm runes and zerk trinkets?

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

DHawk.2687

So it’s pretty much Valkyrie’s Armor + Weapons, wurm runes and zerk trinkets?

Close but not quite

in Thief

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

Great idea, I have posted this idea somewhere earlier on some general thief change topic but it’s worth a topic of its own.

Smoke field+leap or +blast combo is way superior to CnD since u dont need a target, u cant be dodged, blinded, invulnd, outkited etc in order to stealth. smoke field offers aoe stealth capability and countless blinds. And when u finally land CnD you are still vulnerable because ppl can just cleave around them. CnD is way behind so if its this hard to land it should blind around you the very least.

(edited by Kicker.8203)

in Thief

Posted by: Doug.4930

Doug.4930

God I would love this.

Doug The Unseen Of Homefront Defenders [HD]

Jade Quarry’s dedicated Roaming/Havoc Squad Guild