Countering thief

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I’m simply raising awareness for ways to deal with thieves, many of these things are useful beyond the context of thief, but I’m focusing specifically on how to counter thief. The purpose of raising awareness is twofold, newer PvPers could always use help, and the more obvious it becomes on how to deal with a thief the more likely it is to see nerfs to certain things.

Assumption: hit and run playstyle for thief

Defensive autoprocs:

• Tempest Defense (Air Magic)
  • Eye for an Eye (Retribution)
  • Mirror of Anguish (Chaos)
  • Shared Anguish (Wilderness Survival)
  • Nightmare Rune (Tier 6).
    These hard counter Basilisk Venom and Steal burst attempts, which is where most of the opportunity for thief to impact a fight comes from. **Note that Share Anguish doesn’t counter a burst attempt while using basilisk venom.

Phase Traversal:
This Revenant skill combined with how revenant works in general makes thief less useful in filling a spot on a team, but it also hard counters the “run” part of hit and run.

Unrelenting Assault:
This Revenant skill removes most of you defensive options, you can’t stealth, teleport, bandit’s defense, or blind. You have to perform 3 skills with evade frames to counter it completely or land an interupt during its activation. The result of being targeted by unrelenting assault is that you often have lost so many defensive tools you must retreat to your team. You usually can’t retreat to OOC by yourself because of Phase Traversal.

Surge of the Mist:
This is a great skill to counter thieves with, because you can use it as a no tell heavy damaging CC from melee. Simply swap from sword immediately into staff and activate, if you’re in melee it becomes humanly impossible to react to a swap into this skill, a thief would have to predict the use of this. The main benefit of this skill vs thief is that it does heavy damage combined with CC and it happens very fast, by the time they can stun break they have taken half the skills damage. If they use shadow step they get minimum value out of it, because they already take the damage.

Team Fighting (3v3+):
This is a weak point for thief, if using staff or stealth you get some staying power, but you lack ways to support your allies beyond trying to throw out weakness, blinds, and maybe endurance if you use signet of agility. The longer a fight goes on the more the disadvantage to your team, because you as a thief lack sustain/healing, and have to play hit an run when pressured. This means your team is more likely to be attritioned down by the enemy playing slightly safe. Also once, shadow step has been used a thief essentially becomes a burden on a team fight, because of the risk of being CC locked to death.

Sustain Area Control Builds utilizing a 2 point strat:
Builds which were meant to hold points 1v1 do very well vs a thief, they outsustain the damage. That said, thieves can easily outrotate them usually. Playing a 2 point strat though only gives 2 options to fight at. The effectiveness of this strat partly falls back to the thief’s weakness in team fights, but this strategy is effective enough that it warrants it’s own attention. Using portal will help this stratgey, and mitigate a thief’s overall impact even more.

Watch thief with a Revenant:
Because Revenant has Phase Traversal and so many damage immunity options via blocks, evades, invulns, you can give Revenant the job of Thief hunting. In 2v2+ play normally, and keep an eye out for when a thief is pressured to the point they have few defensive options remaining. Dive in with phase traversal and pressure until he goes down, even if you’d be out of position in a team fight to accomplish this that probably only matters if your only defensive options are blocks and the enemy has unblockable CC available, but if you have the glint heal available you should be fine regardless of the situation. If you can’t kill the thief, remember to work your way back to your team while using your invulns/evades/blocks.

Combo Break Thief:
Much of thief’s damage comes in bursts, because they have to play hit and run. Because of this CC is more effective vs thief than other professions. You interrupt their burst combos and you relieve yourself of lots of pressure. You can also break their combo’s with purely defensive skills, but even a 1 second daze is enough to throw off their damage drastically. This is why the defensive autoprocs are listed above.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Avllos.7126

Avllos.7126

I don’t want to be “That guy” but… I don’t think you really have to even try to counter a Thief. It just happens. We’re so underwhelming currently that to win we either have to catch you off-guard while you’re occupied with another fight, or just completely outplay the opponent. Thieves have to work exceptionally hard in 1v1’s and a single mistake can end in a dirt nap, even against a lesser skilled player on a more balanced (or these days OP) class.

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Mfw a player comes to the thief forums post HoT like ‘countering thief’ requires strategy, foresight, or anything outside of general rotation

lmfao like, even warriors counter us with signet of might gunflame

Attachments:

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: BlackDeath.8106

BlackDeath.8106

TLDR version: Auto Attack to counter thieves.

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: VladR.9827

VladR.9827

Are you serious? Wrong forum lol

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

None of these “tips” will help you agaisnt the increasingly popular perma evasión d/d condi daredevil

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

thief is fine, i would take thief over warrior anytime in a team.
the problem with thief is dragon stance of herald that apply reveal make thief vulnerable in teamfights and dragonhunter. caed played evade build instead of DP so it’s better because less rely on stealth..in EU there’s no thief so no need to bring dragon stance, instead they bring corruption because a lot of ele and ranger and engi
thief still is the best ganking class, rev plays more like sword DH instead of thief.

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Funny how readers often mistaken the intention of the OP.

Just to be clear, the OP wants all these “Thief Counters” to be nerfed illustrating how unbalance these anti-Thief skills currently are.

I agree on most, but not all, especially about the 2 point strat — I’ve seen this too many times. When a team refused to rotate, thus 2 point strat, the Thief’s mobility becomes useless since there will be nothing to decap.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kaliny.8265

Kaliny.8265

None of these “tips” will help you agaisnt the increasingly popular perma evasión d/d condi daredevil

Well, if d/d + d/d, with energy sigils and agi signet+withdraw (or dd-heal+other stun break+acro traits) you can get something sort of perma evasion.

Still can countered by cleanse. Don’t need to be a very spammable strong cleanse either, just cleanse after he aplys the Spider Venon/Imparring Daggers and he will turn into a very friendly malabarist for at least 20 seconds.

Not saying it is weak build, just very easily counterable. (on wvw guards/dhs and “stone” eles/tempest sometimes just ignore me until I get tired of trying and go away)

I’m not always rude and sarcastic… Sometimes i’m asleep.

(edited by Kaliny.8265)

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Just to be clear, the OP wants all these “Thief Counters” to be nerfed illustrating how unbalance these anti-Thief skills currently are.

I agree on most, but not all, especially about the 2 point strat — I’ve seen this too many times. When a team refused to rotate, thus 2 point strat, the Thief’s mobility becomes useless since there will be nothing to decap.

disagree. if they keep one guy home, then you will be able to 4v5 mid

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Hogwash

We all know thief counters will never be nerfed, ever

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Countering thief

in Thief

Kaliny.8265

Also, most players have been successful on countering thief by using this strategy:

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Those ridiculous "punish them for landing a hard cc on me" traits can be avoided by triggering them in advance with headshot or an ally using cc.

I’m not sure on what you mean by "hit and run," since true hit and run is rarely effective and thus rarely done. It’s either spike and pressure, or spike or pressure followed by stealth to avoid getting targeted or directly counter pressured, then resume 3-4s later depending on whether you don’t want reveal.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

Well, if d/d + d/d, with energy sigils and agi signet+withdraw (or dd-heal+other stun break+acro traits) you can get something sort of perma evasion.

Still can countered by cleanse. Don’t need to be a very spammable strong cleanse either, just cleanse after he aplys the Spider Venon/Imparring Daggers and he will turn into a very friendly malabarist for at least 20 seconds.

Not saying it is weak build, just very easily counterable. (on wvw guards/dhs and “stone” eles/tempest sometimes just ignore me until I get tired of trying and go away)

spider venom and imparring daggers are just the top of the iceberg, the most dmg comes from the massive bleed spaming that “friendly malabarist” does while dodgeing at the same time, no cleanse can stop bleed stacks when they are re-applied so fast https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Impaling_Lotus https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Blossom

the only counters to this build has been ground targeted aoes attacks that still melts the thief on those brief vulnerable miliseconds when landing because of the lack of double defensive stats for conndi builds in spvp (no dire, you sacrifice either tough or vit) but any power range or melee build is pretty much screwed

(edited by Tora.7214)

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Hogwash

We all know thief counters will never be nerfed, ever

I never said it will. As I pointed out, the 2 point strat was developed to be an anti-rotation strategy where the main purpose is to eliminate the mobility advantage of the opposition – basically, anti-Thief — but more specifically, it’s the players’ way of telling to the Devs that making the Thief a mobility profession having a role of +1 and decapping is so foxing stupid.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Countering thief

in Thief

Kaliny.8265

….massive bleed spaming…. no cleanse can stop.

the only counters…. aoes attacks that still melts the thief …

Dora I run this build… (you can see on the thread ‘’better cond dd’’)

I was talking about the cond DD that runs deadly arts and focus on poison.

But if you said the higher dmg spells on cond thief are just top of iceberg (venon and imparring). I will assume you are facing a very oriented bleed build.

If thats the case, the bleeds stacks fast but they have sort of low dmg with very long duration, if you time well your cleanses you can remove a kitten ton of bleed stacks on one cleanse, and will take some time to build up again.

You could also try (as I said on my thread) to pay close atention and time your attacks and cc to force not optimal use of utility for stun break/immo cleanse.

Do not stay/run over calltrops. Most of the dps you are having trouble with could come from stepping on those tiny stars on the ground, while you are worring about the malabarism…

And finaly the most efficient and accessible way of shutting it down was already said by you, aoe.

If so, than you are right this build means you won`t get a free lootbag or points unless you have aoe, and if you do "that still mets the thief’’.

Keep in mind us Cond DD have to chose to kitten ourselves by one of those 3 ways and the choice will end up beeing a major flaw on our build :

1: Don`t have deadly arts : our poison is kitten, sacrifice a great portion of dps and pressure, also cond burst becomes a lot weaker.

2: Don`t have acro: so must use withdraw, so to have Endurance refill you will use signet, that and 1-2 stun break on utility that have literaly the longest cd on stunbreak on the entire game. This makes extended battles and team fights way harder.

3: Don`t have trickery: Less pressure on steal/dodge, Less initiative to deathblossom or whatever you would like to use it, also no acess to confusion to cover for more important cond.

Once you understand how those builds work it will become manageable even without aoe.

(edited by Kaliny.8265)

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

You forgot necros auto fear on CC trait. and some more

Countering thief

in Thief

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

Here’s the simple way to counter a thief.

1) Choose any other class.
2) Target the thief (or don’t… seriously, dragonhunter especially, don’t even need to look at the screen)
3) push “1” on your keyboard… or spill something on it. Or let a small child push buttons at random… anything really.
4) Thief is dead, congratulations…. Wait a few days and thief will be even easier to kill as Anet nerfs thief with every update.