Current build meta? (D/D, D/P & S/D)

in Thief

Posted by: AkaXan.1096

AkaXan.1096

I’m fairly unaware of the current metagame, and I don’t find metabattle a very useful site, simply because it lacks detail and when i compare it to a guide, I rlly have no clue who to believe.

For wvw i’d like to know the runes that are being used. I’ve heard tons of people saying strength, ogre, traveler and pack are all strong options, however I’ve also had people telling me some of these aren’t really strong atm, so if possible i’d like to have that cleared up.

As for consumables, i’m still pondering whether to go oil or sharpening stones. I’ve already checked guides etc, and both of these are used. For food i’ve seen tons of stuff that works: seaweed salad, omnom ghost, orrian steak frittes, truffle steak, spicy butternut squash soup etc.

And lastly, What is the best option for gearing? I’ve seen builds ranging from full GC to nearly full valkyrie, both working fairly well.

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Well you want an answer that doesn’t exist… the bottom line is everything you said works

D/D or D/P or S/D are fine in WvW I like D/P

All of those runes are fine as well it depends on your playstyle I go for Strength Runes

All of those foods are viable as well since I use Strength Runes I like the might food

You want someone to give you a specific build that is the best? That’s impossible you will have to figure out which is best FOR YOU

Zerk/Cav/Valk are all viable options most people mix and match to find that balance that works for them

Try experimenting do not look for anyone to tell you what is best that is subjective

in Thief

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Opinions range because the options range especially in a PvP scenario. For exemple you can have a D/P thief using hidden killer and full valkyrie gear and focusing on landing its backstab.

But you can also have a D/P that prefer to slowly decrease the hp of its enemy and use executioner to burst down them. For him full valkyrie will be a bad idea.

Different build and different playstyle have different need and that’s why ppl have different opinion about that.

Rune of Strenght work if you give yourself might, traveler is less good in combat but give you movement speed with is nice in WvW, pack is a good dps boost if you are in the middle of the battle and get hits, but if you retreat each time you get hit you won’t use the strength of the rune. Again is depend on your playstyle.

Omnomberry ghost give you a good sustain but if you have low precision or just focus on backstab its useless. Spicy butternut squash soup is high dps but cost a lot. Truffly steak is a good compromise. Seasweed salad is good if you are moving while landing your shots. Orrian Steak frite is cheap a hybrid dps/vitality food.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Thief

Posted by: AkaXan.1096

AkaXan.1096

Well, tbh, i knew that there is no best thing. I was looking for a general build. The main problem is that i can’t experiment myself since i play with 28 FPS, graphics set at lowest. In order for me to be able to experiment in wvw i basically need to get a good graph card 1st. Just out of general curiosity though, but do you go panic strike, 2/6/0/0/6, 2/6/6/0/0 or 0/6/6/2/0?

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Well, tbh, i knew that there is no best thing. I was looking for a general build. The main problem is that i can’t experiment myself since i play with 28 FPS, graphics set at lowest. In order for me to be able to experiment in wvw i basically need to get a good graph card 1st. Just out of general curiosity though, but do you go panic strike, 2/6/0/0/6, 2/6/6/0/0 or 0/6/6/2/0?

Well you can experiment in PvP where the cost of runes/gear is nothing

You might also get better FPS in PvP without all the blobs and stuff

Builds with 6 in Shadow Arts are for WvW where you do not need to hold capture points and be hindered by stealth

PvP builds will mostly revolve around trickery due to superior utility

My fav build utilizes both 2/0/6/0/6

in Thief

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Keep in mind that GW2 use more of your CPU than your video card.

2/6/0/0/6 is less sustain but more interrupt/boon stealing, its better for small scale team play.
2/6/6/0/0 is more sustain, its better for longer fight or against several opponents.
0/6/6/2/0 is similar to the other on, but you sacrifice a big of dmg for either speed while stealth or blinding powder when fall. Those are two big advantage in WvW when you need to run after you target or use terrain at your advantage, but its useless in sPvP.
Panic strike is a specific gameplay. You like or dislike. Its great at securing a backstab, but useless against profession with a lot of quick condi removal (for example Shoutbow).

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Thief

Posted by: Kiro.3164

Kiro.3164

I play a P/D and SB condi bunker thief. I also swap out to a zerker thief D/D and S/P or SB..

Its preference/playstyle, imo the thief has a lot of useful traits and abilities… it would be a shame to not utilizes them. Experiment!

Main: Lv80 Thief
Alts: Lv80 Necromancer, Lv80 Mesmer
[GoF] Blackgate

in Thief

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I play P/D Condi cheese with SB as secondary. Basically it functions the same as a regular thief. Mobility, interrupts, rotating quickly, just uses condi pressure rather than damage. 2/0/6/0/6. People be dissing stealth in sPvP but it works ok if you know how to use it. Just don’t be an idiot and shadow refuge on point while the enemy player decaps haha.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.