D/D Thieves - How do you close gaps?

in Thief

Posted by: Lyndis.2584

Lyndis.2584

Other than steal and shadowstep, how do you stick to your targets? I find myself constantly having to use Heartseeker to keep on my targets who have a couple escapes…

.:: FaTe ~ [SoS] ::.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Um…cripple.
- If you really need to, you can use scorpion wire.
- Also you can use the Chill Venom and,
- Basilisk Venom
- swap weapon to D/P and use #3

If all else fail, play dead. In PvP it works since they want to stomp you. (of course I’m kidding)

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Adinay.2589

Adinay.2589

I almost always use acrobatics VI (fleet shadow) In WvW as a D/D+SB Thief with heavy burst potential with a little in acrobatics and/or shadow arts. If you can land a heart seeker and stay on top of them for a second land a CnD and keep up with them for a backstab and take a skill like blinding powder if you need it to stealth for that +50% move speed for 4 seconds.

Sometimes staying with the target isnt as important as the target not knowing where the heck you are.

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

You run D/P.

That answer isn’t intended to be dismissive, but it’s really the only answer, unless you want to sacrifice good utilities for those that might slow your target down a bit (though they’ll likely have escapes for those as well).

D/P is superior to D/D in every single way in the current meta.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Adinay.2589

Adinay.2589

You run D/P.

That answer isn’t intended to be dismissive, but it’s really the only answer, unless you want to sacrifice good utilities for those that might slow your target down a bit (though they’ll likely have escapes for those as well).

With my little WvW knowledge I would still agree with this. I just don’t WvW often enough to make my build optimal, and I still think if you go D/D (knowing it isn’t optimal) The other two above posts from us are still viable answers.

in Thief

Posted by: Forz.1725

Forz.1725

One way that I close a gap is by baiting the enemy to come at you. Pull away or break LoS, let your cooldowns/initiative regen, then watch what they do. If they push toward you and over commit then you can surprise them with a dancing dagger and keep them in melee range. If they run away, let them because it probably isn’t worth chasing.

Also, for gap closing, I’ve ditched shortbow all together and I use S/D or D/P as my secondary weapon set. Use D/D when you know you can burst the enemy down, then switch out to use the utilities that the other weapon sets provide.

Elementalist – Pancake Tragedy

(edited by Forz.1725)

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Let’s respect the weapon set of choice by the OP and give solution to the problem at hand.

We all know that D/P is superior to D/D, but that’s not what the OP is asking.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

You use movement speed through stealth or swiftness to stick on a target, chaining Cloak and Dagger on things until you’re on your target. If they’re too far, then you should have stuck closer to them.

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

I have included skills from other weapon sets with the idea of using a weapon swap and swapping back after you have caught up.

I don’t find it disrespectful.
We have access to weapon swaps and I think it’s fair to include this for potential solutions to a problem.

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

(edited by OIIIIIO.7825)

in Thief

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Weapon swaps should be the ideal choice for closing gaps. If you wish to ignore the disadvantages of D/D then you better be ok with eating dirt.

Keep a range option or pistol off-hand for gap closers.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Thief

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Weapon swaps should be the ideal choice for closing gaps. If you wish to ignore the disadvantages of D/D then you better be ok with eating dirt.

Keep a range option or pistol off-hand for gap closers.

this has nothing to do with the post im just replying because your name is artemis entreri lol. Im getting the Jeweled Dagger tattoo soon, prob on my arm. Artemis is my fav character of anything ever, shortly followed by Marcallo Deunnero

in Thief

Posted by: Nime.2089

Nime.2089

I can’t quite agree to this statement. Obviously D/P has a better variety and offers more diversity when it comes to adapting to a situation. But the initial Burst potential is higher with D/D than with D/P.

Weapon swaps should be the ideal choice for closing gaps.

Yes that might be true. But unfortunately then you have to wait for 9 seconds until you can go back to your burst set. And chances are that you either lose distance again within that time or your enemy heals completely.

With D/D it is very difficult to keep up with anyone but I think with 1 – 2 heartseeker, Signet of Shadows, Thrill of Crime etc. we do have some possibilities to match the speed of anyone else.

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

1. Go almost full glass cannon
2. Stack 25 Bloodlust + buffood
3. Trait for mug
4. Make sure your basi isn’t blocked or evaded
5. attack
6. ???
7. oneshotted
8. profit
9. put on your coolface

Retired GW2 Player

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Weapon swaps should be the ideal choice for closing gaps.

Yes that might be true. But unfortunately then you have to wait for 9 seconds until you can go back to your burst set. And chances are that you either lose distance again within that time or your enemy heals completely.

Running dual melee setup will partially solve that problem. Sure your second setup isn’t for bursting but it’ll still deal enough pressure damage. With S/P (yes, some ppl do run S/P) you can even keep him from healing. Scorpion wire works well too (beside the occasional bugging fall)

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

I can’t quite agree to this statement. Obviously D/P has a better variety and offers more diversity when it comes to adapting to a situation. But the initial Burst potential is higher with D/D than with D/P.

Not really.
D/D
BV→CnD precast→steal→bs→HS til dead

D/P
BP→BV→HS→Steal before HS animation is over→BS→HS til dead

If your target is over 50%, those do the exact same damage. If they’re under 50%, D/P does better damage.

The only caveat I can think of is Mug – Mug might trigger damage After the Leap effect grants stealth and screw it all up, I don’t really remember. If that’s the case, D/D can use mug for the combo and D/P cant (but Mug can no longer crit, so it’s not really that big a deal damage wise, more setup wise).

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

He’s talking about within the context of the “current meta”, whatever that is, so you can practically ignore it for the most part.

Other than D/P having the best gap closer, I also disagree that it is “superior that D/D in every single way.”

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

He’s talking about within the context of the “current meta”, whatever that is, so you can practically ignore it for the most part.

Other than D/P having the best gap closer, I also disagree that it is “superior that D/D in every single way.”

What does D/D offer that compares with a ranged interrupt and an AoE blind field?

What advantage does D/D have over D/P in a power/crit setup?

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

What does D/D offer that compares with a ranged interrupt and an AoE blind field?

Given that you have to ask those questions will only lead to an unproductive discussion.

But for you to claim that D/P is “superior to D/D in every single way” is enough to know that no matter what is presented that you already made up your mind in that regards. So what’s the point of asking me those questions when in fact that there are many things that D/D can do that D/P cannot, which proof that D/P IS NOT superior to D/D in every single way. In most situation, perhaps.

in Thief

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Is dagger #4 NOT crippling everyone around you?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Is dagger #4 NOT crippling everyone around you?

Dagger #4 do cripple, but not everyone around you — just your target and some random mob around that target.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I prefer to run D/D, and I can tell you that sticking on a target is a problem. Whenever someone chooses to flee there doesn’t seem to be a lot I can do about it.
Cripple on Dancing Dagger is nice, but no matter what I’m fighting or how much I spam it, the Cripple either gets cleansed instantly or just vanishes in a couple seconds from duration reductions.
Scorpion Wire only works if the enemy is fleeing in a straight line from you, and not watching behind them to see what you’re doing in order to dodge it or block it, and is not fleeing with Stability active which is so common.
I haven’t even found a reliable way to stay on people, myself.
Just switch to Shortbow or P/P and shoot them in the back.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

Given that you have to ask those questions will only lead to an unproductive discussion.

But for you to claim that D/P is “superior to D/D in every single way” is enough to know that no matter what is presented that you already made up your mind in that regards. So what’s the point of asking me those questions when in fact that there are many things that D/D can do that D/P cannot, which proof that D/P IS NOT superior to D/D in every single way. In most situation, perhaps.

I admit “every single way” was a bit of hyperbole, but the point of my post wasn’t to be argumentative. I’m honestly curious – I’m open to the fact that I might be wrong. Maybe I’m not seeing something about D/D that makes it worth running. As far as I can tell, in the vast majority of specs your likely to encounter in this game in the last 6 months, D/P has the better toolset – there’s the rare odd time where D/D would be better, but it doesn’t justify all the times its inferior IMO.

If Dancing Dagger worked more reliably, the story would be different – a reliable cripple at 3 init and 900 range is exactly what D/D needs – but it doesn’t work very reliably. I’ve literally seen “obstructed” pop up over a stationary player sitting in the middle of the graveyard – that’s just 1 extreme example, but the travel time is just too slow to be of any use on a target that isn’t already in HS range or charging directly at you. In addition, DB is just about useless for Power/crit. The evade time is so short that general latency and human reaction time makes timing an evade with the skill (the only thing I can think of doing with DB in a power/crit setup) almost impossible.

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Other than steal and shadowstep, how do you stick to your targets? I find myself constantly having to use Heartseeker to keep on my targets who have a couple escapes…

Whats wrong with Heart seeker? D/D thieves are not attrition types, we kill stuff with front load burst dmg then switch to sb for support wile our cooldowns are running. If you are in a situation where someone is kiting the mess out of you its time to hit SR and retreat, and find an opportunity to aoe with sb in a team fight / wait for cooldowns again.