D/D or D/P thief in PvP? o.O

in Thief

Posted by: oRx.9584

oRx.9584

Hi guys!

I was wondering about what the actual difference between a D/D and a D/P thief in PvP is?

I’m a somewhat new player, especially to the thief, but I can see everybody says how the “meta” is D/P, all build sites feature D/P builds, but I couldn’t find any D/D builds, even though it seems somewhat simillar?

I run a D/D build nevertheless, because I find the dagger off-hand more optimal due to the stealth gain from the skill 5, but I still wonder, what’s the real difference if I wore a pistol instead?

Also, can you provide me with any build suggestions / builds I should try if using D/P or D/D?

Thanks in advance, oRx.

“Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.”
- Tupac Amaru Shakur (1971-1996)

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

You can get stealth with DP by using Heartseeker (#2 skill) after having dropped a Black Powder (#5 skill). You can chain up to 4 Heartseekers in the Black Powder field so that’s a good 10s of stealth.
DP is superior because it has more utility in PvP: blinds, interrupts, gap closers, stealth on demand. The only good thing of DD is the burst, but in PvP the damage of Cloak and Dagger is way lower than in WvW, so the damage difference is not so high.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

D/D is outclassed by every other thief build. They will just hunt you down. Even in teamfights, you can’t gain stealth in a safe spot (D/P can use the Heartseeker + Blackpowder combo), you have to be in the fight to even set up burst. Makes it counterable and vulnerable. You lose access to blinds, teleports and on-demand dazes just by taking off-hand dagger and not pistol.

D/D’s more of a PvE/WvW set.

in Thief

Posted by: Gandrogh.1530

Gandrogh.1530

D/D is maybe outclassed but i am still playing this on spvp. My only defense is blind on stealth but i do tons of damage.
In my point of of view, i think all builds are viables, but there are some build who need more practice

/w Gandrogh Warlord
/w Gandrogh The Fallen
Vizunah’square

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

D/P is way more viable in sPvP due to lower damage numbers overall and the requirement of running more defensive builds for the format (blinds). D/D brings no skirmishing ability to the table, and nerfed skills/stats in sPvP prevents D/D assassination builds from working due to lower-than-needed damage outputs.

For WvW, D/D is plenty viable due to the lower player-defense stats and ratios on damage that don’t actually suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Jedy.9247

Jedy.9247

For WvW, D/D is plenty viable due to the lower player-defense stats and ratios on damage that don’t actually suck.

Da hell did i just read

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

D/D is outclassed by every other thief build. They will just hunt you down. Even in teamfights, you can’t gain stealth in a safe spot (D/P can use the Heartseeker + Blackpowder combo), you have to be in the fight to even set up burst. Makes it counterable and vulnerable. You lose access to blinds, teleports and on-demand dazes just by taking off-hand dagger and not pistol.

D/D’s more of a PvE/WvW set.

This is true but I still play D/D in sPvP because it’s fun and still blasts most people down in a few seconds. Play what you want.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

(…) Play what you want.

People tend to forget it’s a team game. It’s not only about you. I’m not saying you should always play the best build, but at least do’t be a griefer. If you do hotjoin and teamque (with 4 friends so no randoms) then sure, you play whetever you want But in soloque / solo teamque, respect your team.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Da hell did i just read

What, the fact that thief skills have been nerfed by an upwards of 30% damage reduction exclusively in sPvP, or that players are inherently squishier in WvW?

Because both are factually correct. I can assure you my CnD alone in WvW against even a PTV build hits harder than most berserker stabs in sPvP on glass cannons.

WvW damage numbers are MUCH higher and defenses are way lower on average.