D/D thief for Spvp...still viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Shakya.6351

Shakya.6351

Hi guys, i need 2 advices!

I play a thief only for spvp (dont like exping and farming, im just lvl 28) and i play really casual (15/20 games/week)

the first one is about weapons…when i created my char i was planning to play with 2 daggers because is the kind of playstile i had in mind for this class, but in the last two months i only saw thieves with pistols or swords and on the forum too the d/d build is never citated
is it now unplayable at high levels?
i dont want to play with swords or pistols, they dont fit my idea of thief…

the second one is about build…the majority of thieves i saw with d/d play a full burst build…i dont like this playstyle…i’d prefer a bit less burst but with more surviving and mobility but maybe a thief not able to kill an enemy in 5 seconds is useless in spvp…what do u think?

thanks!!!!! <3

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

I don’t know what happened to Evasion-based Bleed builds, but I think you can still run something like that. Chain DBs into dodges into stealth into more DBs, throw Caltrops around and dodge permanently.

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

The only real benefit of D/D for a direct damage build is the slightly higher burst damage it offers, which is why most D/D are glass cannons. D/D simply doesn’t offer much in the way of mobility or skills to help you survive.

Since you’re only playing casually, and I assume in hotjoin, just run whatever you’re comfortable with. Going 10/30/30/0/0 for example will still give you decent dps with increased survivability from shadow arts. I would advise you to try D/P for example though; D/D is really just an inferior version of it in many cases.

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

D/D is only good for full glass cannon 30/30/… with mug+basilisk venom+c&d+backstab combo. Mug got seriously nerfed, but steal range in trickery got buffed. Don’t play with death blossom, it’s a waste of initiative even after buff, maybe in PvE it has any use.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Posted by: bryandres.6390

bryandres.6390

Im one the remaining d/d thieves, Rank 46, i left gw2 on January as rank 40, lets get to the point… the main advantage that d/ d offers u is the speed burst over the low iniciative that it costs, but right now theres so many other builds that can counter u easy with the new blind’s changes, u’ll get ownd by every d/p due smoke field or shadow shot, also the necro pulses , engi smoke field + auto=blinding bolts, so d/d its easy to neutralize, there’s the main reason, but u got another weap set that maybe u could try to patch that problems.

Itächî Spvp R5x.

in Thief

Posted by: pantsforbirds.9032

pantsforbirds.9032

I don’t know what happened to Evasion-based Bleed builds, but I think you can still run something like that. Chain DBs into dodges into stealth into more DBs, throw Caltrops around and dodge permanently.

Here is my condi build if you are interesting in checking it out:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/TPVP-Thief-Condi-Build/first#post2335424

Thief: Rand x Al Thor | Mesmer: Egwene x Alvere
Dragonbrand |Twitch: twitch.tv/pantsforbirds

in Thief

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

Even the current top thief builds: S/D and D/P have questionable viability in Tpvp ATM. D/D, it pains me to say, has been left in the dust— it is not viable.

Even if they revert the non-sensical 4 sec reveal change it prob wouldnt be viable, but it would be a start.

D/D generated so much QQ in low-skilled areas of the game like hot join and WvW that it always overshadowed the fact of how balanced and truly dynamic the spec was at higher levels of play. Consequently we see the power of the “QQ” in MMOs.