D/D vs D/P

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Pwnzor.5682

Pwnzor.5682

which is better in different situations, wanne hear it from pro thiefs here on the forums.

situation 1: 1v1
situation 2: 1v2
situation 3: 1v3
situation 4: XvX (small and medium teams)
situation 5: Zergs

I love my D/D and use that in al 5 situations. but i wanne hear which is better in 1 of the 5 situations.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If I used d/d to its full extent I could give you some good info. Unfortunately, I only have experience with d/d condition. This setup is a weird but it has worked well for me in wvw and pve. This it the PvP version.

Notice that I don’t use stealth and understand that I don’t like stealth due to the amount of controversy it causes.

As for d/p, its good for stealthing but again I don’t like stealth and therefore can’t give you a solid opinion on it.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Black Cat.1024

Black Cat.1024

You can cross off situation 5 as these are single target DPS builds. Due to the higher damage output on D/D I’d say 1vs1 this would win. Situations 2-3 D/P would be better due to more survivability. Situation 4, I’d say D/P because of the AOE smoke field and combined with a blast in the field you would give your team stealth as well.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Quoting myself on this matter.

D/D is superior:
- When fighting Rangers, Mesmers and Necromancers with pet builds.
- When fighting in a team fight you don’t need to look out for other players combo fields.
- When you fight up on tower or keep walls.
- When you fight near mobs, critters or attackable objects.
- When you fight in 1v2 against a ranged and a melee player.
- When you get rushed by a zerg.
- When you need some extra burst, kill to survive.

D/P is superior:
- In open field.
- Against melee.
- When chasing highly mobile players.
- When hiding from zergs or escaping if the zerg has a good distance.
- Against other thieves.
- When you are in need of an interrupt.
- Also has easy access to stealth, but slow and you don’t always get off more than 1 – heartseeker through BP (7 ini for less active stealth while x/D is at 4 for a successful hit), not everyone can counter it, unlike x/D where everyone has a dodge button.
- Blind is also a powerful tool.

D/P is however more complete as a set, and every single weapon skill is useful.
While D/D has #3 which is rarely useful without being a waste and #4 which is slightly more useful than #3.

so.. 1v1, 1v2, 1v3 – depends a lot. Sometimes even 1v4+ is possible and sometimes 1v2 isn’t possible with both setups.
XvX – D/D is better, it’s quicker doesn’t rely on a combo field which can be overrided by other combo fields.

Zergs – none of them are really effective. D/D however has easy access to stealth while overrun by ppl, and is way much quicker. D/P is better at being passive around zergs and hunting and picking off players and escape before the zerg reaches the place.

I’m using D/D + D/P a lot and sometimes I’m even asking myself why I’m keeping D/P, because of the quick access to stealth and nice spike dmg. And sometimes while playing D/P + SB I wish I’d have a dagger offhand.

D/P is better for resetting fights too, also lets you open up with backstabs out of nowhere which I like most with it.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Pwnzor, Hey il do it short, but isnt really sitation that differs in this, its mostly prefered terrain, due to d/p being way better in tight spaces with limited area for movement, while d/d requires tons of positoning and such, but as a winback we do more damage, and can backstab more often. d/p got around 10 % MORE than d/d in survablity. personally i prefer d/d, due to d/d being mostly stronger in large 1 vs x, but d/p is more easy to play though. mostly diffrence of scout (d/p) and skirmisher D/D
situation 1: 1v1 = D/P
situation 2: 1v2 D/P
situation 3: 1v3 D/D
situation 4: XvX (small and medium teams) Variates
situation 5: Zergs D/D

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

D/D is also way more reactive, and way better at killing.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

There is NO way that a D/P thief should lose to a D/D thief.
Except if the first is really, REALLY, bad, or the latter is insanely good.

I believe D/D is only slightly better if you get caught by surprise by a bigger group of people. But if you are aware of your surroundings and constantly move the camera around when you are fighting (as you should do in WvW) D/P is vastly superior.
Moreover, there is a high chance that if the 3+ group of people you are fighting has some decent players, you will miss your CnD at least once and if they interrupt your heal with any form of cc you are pretty much done for.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

In D/P every skill is extremely useful. In D/D skills 3 and 4 are only occasionally useful. That should tell you all you need to know.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The way I see it, the more opponent you have the more useful Dancin’dags and CnD are.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Pwnzor.5682

well i made a d/p build, gone try it but is this a good 1? http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalUmaPHfy4E+5EymidqC5e4UGVT1pArsKA-jEyAYrAm8gSfEZsVtioxqWwUlLqW5C4NY0qFCI0EA-w i try’d it out and works pretty good for me

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

well i made a d/p build, gone try it but is this a good 1? http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalUmaPHfy4E+5EymidqC5e4UGVT1pArsKA-jEyAYrAm8gSfEZsVtioxqWwUlLqW5C4NY0qFCI0EA-w i try’d it out and works pretty good for me

With 0 Extra Toughness aside from the 60 provided by Divinities, the moment another FotM Zerk thief catches you by surprise you are dead. I’ve lost count of thieves I killed that way, as well as all those times a FotM Thief tried to kill me only to get badly beated up as soon as he realized I was still alive after that BS+BV combo.
To be “somewhat” safe from a Backstab, you need at least 2600 toughness.

Just my 2 cents

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Kiro.3164

Kiro.3164

I run d/d s/d roaming, d/p s/d when duo, s/p d/d when in 4-5, and d/d with sb if Im in a 10+.

Cant say what utilities I use, because honestly I use all of them depending on the situations.

0 30 30 10 0

Main: Lv80 Thief
Alts: Lv80 Necromancer, Lv80 Mesmer
[GoF] Blackgate

(edited by Kiro.3164)

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Depends who and what you’re fighting.

Cloak and Dagger is useful against NPC’s, bad players and pets.

Swap to a pistol on the offhand and you’re not only more valuable to the team with blind on demand but; you have a smoke field. DPS is slightly lower but your mobility, survivability and group support is much higher. You even have a ranged interrupt ability on zero cool down.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Meyrink.6792

Meyrink.6792

I’m not a pro thief, but for what it’s worth, I use D/P + shortbow because it just seems so much better in almost every situation. The only time I switch to my shortbow is for zergs and PvE when I’m fighting a group of enemies.

I’m sure D/D is useful in some specific circumstances that people have already mentioned, but like, just in general I find myself always swapping out that off-hand dagger for a pistol because stealth-on-demand and a gorillion blinds is just so kitten good. It brings my survivability up a lot.

Not to mention there is this really cheezy gimmick build going around right now using runes of perplexity (it will probably get nerfed) which makes pistol #4 spam insanely good. Easily countered by pros, but most people aren’t pros, so it’s really good most of the time.

Really I could just list so many reasons why D/P is freaking amazing, but I’m lazy, and my vote doesn’t count for much anyway because I’m kind of a newbie really. IDK, I just feel so lackluster using D/D. Like others have said, #3 is barely useful, and #4 is only just “okay.” On the other hand, every single skill for D/P is top. I would say it is probably one of the best weapon combos in the game hands down. Maybe not THE best, but definitely in the top 5 imo.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

D/p is superior in every way except a small amount of burst from cnd.

Wvw I run d/p + s/d and spvp d/p+sb.

Just another noob thief…

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I’m a P/D, and I’ll use D/D for supply camps, but I have to say that I believe that D/P is an awesome weapon set. On demand stealth with that blind field, an interrupt, a step in with blind, and Heartseeker. It’s beautifully focused on getting in, staying on target, and stopping whatever to finish them off.

In good hands, D/P is very good scary weapon set.

In goofy hands, D/D is a very good funny weapon set. Roll! Flip! Spin! Dizzy. Puke...

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Seeing everyone take the stealth side makes me a little depressed. I would like to see more thieves excelling without stealth.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

Seeing everyone take the stealth side makes me a little depressed. I would like to see more thieves excelling without stealth.

Why? What is the point to be a thief and do not use Stealth?
Because ppl says that’s OP?
Why do you care about those whiners, if they’re just incompetents who can’t see that there is other methods to counter it, or just leveling up a thief and play with him instead
(that would be my choice)

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

That’s because of the Backstab, no other reason really.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Why do you care about those whiners, if they’re just incompetents who can’t see that there is other methods to counter it, or just leveling up a thief and play with him instead

I main a thief. I am depressed because my people are not enlightened and im lonely as kitten.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Pwnzor.5682

well i now play d/p and yea i realy love it now. pretty fun to play tho, rune 0/30/30/10/0 and i’m runned by a zerg and still survived it :p gone keep the d/p

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

I main a thief. I am depressed because my people are not enlightened and im lonely as kitten.

Ohhh so choosing to not use a major profession mechanic because people complain about not liking it = enlightened? I learn something new every day……

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

D/D is never better in power builds. Unless it’s fun to you. Then it’s better

Ranger//Necro

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Ohhh so choosing to not use a major profession mechanic because people complain about not liking it = enlightened? I learn something new every day……

I do well without using stealth. I know how to play without using stealth. That is the enlightened part

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Meyrink.6792

Meyrink.6792

You’ve made the right choice, OP.

D/P or S/P are probably the best choices for thieves right now.

And of course, shortbow. Always shortbow. Erry day I’m shortbowan.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

To be that other guy, I find in sPvP and even WvW sometimes I carry DD and DP on me since DD actually does better than DP in some cases, best example is against a mesmer. Using their clones against them and re-stealthing until you find a better opening. Same with rangers and necromancers with minions. DP works well for warriors and guardians for the blinding factor, and a way to go stealth without putting your health at risk by needing to get close to them. But especially for other thieves.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

D/P is only better when your opponent is very low on HP and trying to use their heal skill. Other than that, whichever you are better at playing with is the superior set.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

id like to use D/D when im @ behind enemy lines of zerg! i can cast my cloak and dagger everywhere! + caltrops and caltrops on evade trait if you’re condition

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

D/D, 0 30 30 10 0 will be able to pull of higher 1 vs x if played right though. easyer to manuver, and if you are on the move, Chasing/fleeing d/d will be better due to easy backstabs precast c&nd, backstab. or cloaking at walls. and most imporant less timewindow used to stealth up, it takes 3/4 sec to stealth with d/d 1-2 secs with d/p. and makes d/d more dynamic. and higher timewindow free to use to positoning, dodging and such. however if you prefer easy mode go d/p.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

in WvW
D/D is good as an opener for CnD/Steal backstab burst (with basilisk) and when you’re at zerg’s behind enemy lines its easy to land your CnD and good for trolling 20man zerg w8ing for right moment to bacsktab but when you’re at the middle of small scale fights sometimes D/D will be a problem for landing CnD cuz of blocks, evades, blind so u cant stealth yourself anytime, unlike D/P “i can stealth anytime just gimme 8-9 initiatives!!” so u can prolly survive more when you use D/P

and D/D is the best choice for slaying 1 vs outnumbered squishy noobs in WvW or up leveled

(edited by Coloxeus.3480)

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

spvp or tpvp
D/D is a bit useless against semi tank or ya tanky skillful players in tPvP
D/P is better in sPvP, tPvP (but S/D still the best spvp, tpvp)

or why dnt you use D/D and D/P? some example

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Mindtrick.5190

Mindtrick.5190

I like this thread and post. From what I take out of it, d/p is easier then d/d. But that really does not matter, have fun and roll norn!

Got Ninja?
https://www.twitch.tv/mindtrick714
<3 and Hugs no Hate I Just Point Out Fail.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I like this thread and post. From what I take out of it, d/p is easier then d/d. But that really does not matter, have fun and roll norn!

Norns are so fat tho.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

I believe D/D is only slightly better if you get caught by surprise by a bigger group of people. But if you are aware of your surroundings and constantly move the camera around when you are fighting (as you should do in WvW) D/P is vastly superior.
Moreover, there is a high chance that if the 3+ group of people you are fighting has some decent players, you will miss your CnD at least once and if they interrupt your heal with any form of cc you are pretty much done for.

this comes a guy who plays mes and ele?

this i have to disagree, more skills available for use does not mean your more superior. it all comes down on the skill of the person using that thief.

Thief DD : DP : PD : SB
Elementalist S : DD
Blackgate

(edited by Zeke Azul Falcon.5176)

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

this comes a guy who plays mes and ele?

this i have to disagree, more skills available for use does not mean your more superior. it all comes down on the skill of the person using that thief.

heh, I like it when non-Thief makes up a very unlikely scenario to prove a weak point.

Every thief knows by now that it’s not just the build that makes the profession, it’s the skill of the players who controls them.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: DeNdReTiC.3481

DeNdReTiC.3481

i feel like your just saying this to feel original in someway when its really not. ofcourse stealth can be considered “op” but a thinking person would realize to compensate for our low natural defenses (a squishy melee) our abilities lie in evasion. Its easily countered with aoe. If you wanna just talk about pve thief sure u can play that without stealth have fun plz dont bring that into these kind of discussions though as its pretty meaningless since your not even a thief at that point. You signed up to be a “thief” a character who uses the shadows to his advantage. Anyway back to the original post, In my opinion d/p is a very solid choice for people starting out with lots of surviveability (mistakes can be made). In wvw people tend to run… A LOT, and so with your kit you have infinite chase potential without much need for positioning. However, d/d thief is what i’ve come to see as a true thiefs kit in terms of skill and damage and hope to master myself. Its strength is the ability to permanently stealth within multiple enemies without heavy reliance on initiative(about to get nerfed for dp) with tons of burst. I think both weapon sets are very strong but most people preffer d/p because d/d takes a lot more skill

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: capmasterflash.5690

capmasterflash.5690

D/P is the better set, but it’s not nearly as exciting to watch a d/p thief win outnumbereds as it is to see a d/d thief do it. I know this will foment anger, but d/d requires more skill to win in every situation. Pressing 5 and heartseekering out of it is the easiest of easy modes…it’s fun as hell, but it’s easy. I know everyone will say “OMG Headshot is supreme king!,” but, again, no. If you want to run the easiest weapon set go for it, but I have way more respect for skillful d/d thieves because not everyone and their mother can do it.

p.s. I run p/d build so I’m neutralish

[MU]- my name is red
Asura Thief/Ele
HoD

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Long story short, if you have the skill, d/p always out-preforms d/d no matter what the situation. I’m not talking perma-stealth cheese.

D/D vs D/P

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

i feel like your just saying this to feel original in someway when its really not. ofcourse stealth can be considered “op” but a thinking person would realize to compensate for our low natural defenses (a squishy melee) our abilities lie in evasion. Its easily countered with aoe. If you wanna just talk about pve thief sure u can play that without stealth have fun plz dont bring that into these kind of discussions though as its pretty meaningless since your not even a thief at that point. You signed up to be a “thief” a character who uses the shadows to his advantage. Anyway back to the original post, In my opinion d/p is a very solid choice for people starting out with lots of surviveability (mistakes can be made). In wvw people tend to run… A LOT, and so with your kit you have infinite chase potential without much need for positioning. However, d/d thief is what i’ve come to see as a true thiefs kit in terms of skill and damage and hope to master myself. Its strength is the ability to permanently stealth within multiple enemies without heavy reliance on initiative(about to get nerfed for dp) with tons of burst. I think both weapon sets are very strong but most people preffer d/p because d/d takes a lot more skill

I didn’t mean it to sound that way but during that time I was trying to get thief players away from using stealth all the time because at the time it was the only way for newer thieves to give any competition.

I have done well with d/d conditions, p/d and other builds that require very little to no reliance on stealth, however the meta changed into something that became harder to handle without resorting to more stealth. At which point, I just gave up.

I just wanted some more thieves weaned off stealth so all the baddies would die more to non-stealthing thieves than stealthed ones. Now thieves are going to have 0 viable set by the time dec 10th rolls around.