DE after today's Stress Test

in Thief

Posted by: Luclinraider.2317

Luclinraider.2317

I have to say after jumping in on today’s stress test, I feel like DE is one of the lowest damage spec’s in the game right now.

I play a bunch of PvE today and I found myself wondering why I would sacrifice ALL my mobility and a 3rd dodge for a weapon set that deals around the same damage as Shortbow.

I mean that literally, the #1 does about as much kitten #1 and the Double tap does about as much as the cluster explosion on SB. I understand that once we have full malice our DJ’s solo crits for about 10K…..but doing 20 seconds of horrible damage just to be able to hit for 10k isn’t worth it when I can just Dagger auto attack for 10k every 2 seconds, or unload spam for 8K each.

I can’t help but feel DE’s damage has been severely overestimated due to a malicious post of one hitting for 100k with every possible buff in the game against a naked target with every possible debuff in the game….an unobtainable scenario without setup.

The spec itself isn’t bad…but the weapon set does lieterally SB damage. Why would you ever DE with Rifle, when you could DE with P/P lol.

Hoping they maybe lower DJ’s damage a bit if it’s a concern but increase the overall DPS of the rifle’s other skills because right now they are trash in PvE, and the loss of mobility and dodges makes it trash in PvP……..new specialization is DOA it seems.

in Thief

Posted by: Warrost.4895

Warrost.4895

They even nerfed deadeye further?
Beside that unreachable theoretical numbers of #4 deadeye’s rifle brings nothing, just like the spec as a whole.
Good job by Anet.

in Thief

Posted by: ThrynDrakarian.3179

ThrynDrakarian.3179

Glad to see it wasn’t just me. So very clunky & fiddly, with UI that needs a massive overhaul and really underwhelming DPS wise given how much it gives up, and how little synergy it seems to have with other trait lines.

I was really hoping it’d have some pistol traits mixed in when it was first announced.

Have I missed something, or is there just no reason to take it over Daredevil and barely any for over base thief?

in Thief

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I mean that literally, the #1 does about as much kitten #1 and the Double tap does about as much as the cluster explosion on SB. I understand that once we have full malice our DJ’s solo crits for about 10K…..but doing 20 seconds of horrible damage just to be able to hit for 10k isn’t worth it when I can just Dagger auto attack for 10k every 2 seconds, or unload spam for 8K each.

Not that I necessarily disagree, but this seems like something easy to test if they let us back in the PvP lobby. Get a Deadeye at his max range and have him DPS down a golem as fast as possible, and compare that to a SB Thief doing the same. I suspect the Deadeye would be faster under practical conditions, but if not, there’s definitely work needed.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: Alwayshappy.2549

Alwayshappy.2549

They even nerfed deadeye further?

They mentioned they didn’t change a thing from the last PvP beta weekend, so it wasn’t nerfed even more. That’s all I can say about the subject tho. I’ve only played Daredevil for like a few hours (never got the hang of it) and only tried DeadEye during the last pvp preview weekend.

I did in fact try (on a golem, but ok) how fast you kill it with a rifle, compared to a shortbow. Rifle was a bit faster for me. Not much tho.

in Thief

Posted by: Jack Redline.5379

Jack Redline.5379

I will to be like i told you so but

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Ever since i saw thief is gonna get rifle i knew it will be bad. Well it is even worse then i anticipated. You all can see it for yourselves. I even saw some person mentioning that thieves wanted rifle. I was like WOT? I never wanted rifle and so did many more thieves. Imo thief could get mace. at least as second handed gun. (cuz daze etc.)
But we can’t change it now Anet did this and thief bought a bullet. We will have to find a way to equal other now way buffed classes with core+DD so gl everyone GUD LUCK.

in Thief

Posted by: Corwin.6397

Corwin.6397

First of all, there were no nerfs to Deadeye in this stresstest.

Then you say Double Tap does as much as cluster explosion. One, it’s not true. Two, you have a triple hit when kneeled. That does very high damage.

Not sure where you got just 10k crits from DJ – 15k+ is easily doable in full berserker, just stack up malice.

Single target damage of Deadeye is solid. It’s the lack of everything else that makes the spec very clunky and not fun. Pretty much no AoE, no mobility if you atually want to deliver max DPS, barely any utility.

I personally don’t see why would I ever play Deadeye over Daredevil in any game mode.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaitori.8564

Kaitori.8564

you don’t have to play DE with rifle fyi

Irish Koffee
bst thef zibabwe nd argentina

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Rifle is a burst weapon, not a DPS weapon and works fine for that. When it comes to PvE the spec is like a mix between DPS and support through the new Steal effects and Might sharing.

Saying that SB does the same damage is… what? Clusters hit hard, but they take a while to arrive. You can cluster shotgun and it works fine, but it’s a niche thing you do in PvP. You can’t single out and burn the target down with a Shortbow, certainly not from great range.

in Thief

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

Dude op doesnt know what he’s talking about… i had plenty of 40k+ DJs.

Had one point on the legendary bounty that i got off 3 djs in a single Signet pop by using roll for initiative after two Djs. Its extremely potent damage, and you dont have to camp ridle while building charges.

in Thief

Posted by: Elan.7523

Elan.7523

As burst damage, with “Be Quick Or Be Killed,” you can unload three Three Round Bursts in the space of what feels like a second. It’s kinda scary how quickly you can annihilate an HP bar like that at 1500. Further, you can chain spam skill 1, which inflicts vulnerability at no initiative cost, with skill 2, which, when kneeled, immobilizes at low initiative cost. 3k hits add up fast, especially when you are perma-rooted on demand. I certainly had no issues in making mobs vanish as I saw fit.

That being said, I have two large QOL issues with it, however.

First off, Deadeye Mark, for being so important for the class, is fairly clunky to use. It has a cast time to mark, but any stolen abilities are instacast. I can’t help but feel like the mechanic would feel a lot better if this was reversed, with the mark being instant and the stolen skill having a cast time. Further, the loss of stolen skills when it refreshes is extremely unfortunate.

The second is in relation to the rate of malice gain. It just feels to build too slowly. Most mobs could be burst down when at 2-3 stacks of malice, and then the whole thing resets at their death. This means big payoff skills and traits that work (or work best at) at full stacks don’t get to be fully utilized most of the time. For example, Death’s Judgement is barely touched against most mobs because the damage isn’t worth it for the initiative cost until you are at full stacks, but at the point you could use it the target is typically dead. Similarly, the trait Perfectionist, which triggers boons at full stacks, likewise fails to proc often due to a lack of malice.

If the malice was gained a bit faster by default, or if malice stacks degraded as opposed to totally being deleted upon the death of your target or reset of the Deadeye’s Mark, there would be far more utility in the malice system. As is, usually your targets die before you can capitalize on it and all stacks vanish.

in Thief

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

They never nerfed or changed the Deadeye class in anyway since the PvP beta. The deadeye isn’t made for DPS unless you take Dual pistols. Deadeye is all about his skills, and therefore dealing lots of Burst damage.

The Rifle is all burst. I’ve had no problem with killing groups of enemies using only the rifle. And Veteran Fire Hydras did not stand a chance against me. 40k damage wasn’t hard to hit either.

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

The second is in relation to the rate of malice gain. It just feels to build too slowly. Most mobs could be burst down when at 2-3 stacks of malice, and then the whole thing resets at their death. This means big payoff skills and traits that work (or work best at) at full stacks don’t get to be fully utilized most of the time.

I feel like this is intentional. I feel like they felt that the burst potential of this class was intended to be very high, that you could attack a mob/player at max range and whittle them down to almost nothing before they even reach you, so they balanced that with a mechanic that builds slowly over time, making it impossible to max out in a short bursty fight. You can benefit from one, or the other, not both. Now, were they right? Were the two factors balanced to a level that we find appropriate? That’s debatable, but I think that idea is sound enough, and the solution would be in tweaking the relative numbers a bit.

I do think they should drop the casting time though, just for convenience. I’m too used to just tapping Steal.

done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

due to a malicious post of one hitting for 100k…

You jumped off the soapbox and landed on your feels.
It hurt and you’re mad.

I get it.

However, putting blame on one specific post is foolhardy.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

in Thief

Posted by: Andwari.2978

Andwari.2978

Ppl need to understand that not every single specc is made for every game mode. They want to create a diversity of speccs so you can decide what you want to play (will be better if there are 4-5 speccs for every class)
For example the Warrior got the berserker specc → pretty good in PvE but not the best in PvP so they created a good PvP specc.
Imagine every specc can fit every game mode, you would always play the one with the most DPS in Pve and the most survivability with burst opportunity in pvp and so on.

All GW1 veterand cry for diversity, now we got it, slowly but it will be there!
JHust wait 3-4 years

in Thief

Posted by: Andwari.2978

Andwari.2978

(Maybe there will be content where high burst is needed?)
You never think about the new stuff coming, always think about the old content.

in Thief

Posted by: freeman.7315

freeman.7315

Ppl need to understand that not every single specc is made for every game mode.

That’s all fine and dandy, but the problem here is that the DE feels it wasn’t made for any game mode. Honestly, i can’t see any scenario where DE would be even remotely useful compared to the tools we already have. It’s different,sure. But should it not be viable as well?

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

Ppl need to understand that not every single specc is made for every game mode. They want to create a diversity of speccs so you can decide what you want to play (will be better if there are 4-5 speccs for every class)

I disagree with this mindset. I do believe that every spec should be for every game mode, because some players only enjoy one mode, and they should not have to wait 3-4 years with no new version for their class because this expansion’s spec was for “some other mode.”

Now, different traits can support specific modes, there can be certain builds within the spec that are only useful in a specific mode, but there should always be at least ONE trait loadout that is designed to be great for each game mode in the game.

done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: Elan.7523

Elan.7523

I do think they should drop the casting time though, just for convenience. I’m too used to just tapping Steal.

Considering that the mark is part and parcel to the new mechanic, and that normal steal already can inflict damage, poison, buff, steal buffs, gap closes, and heals instantly, its super strange that the mark isn’t instant. Even odder that the stolen skills from the mark are instant. It makes making targets clunky.

in Thief

Posted by: AlphaWolvesGamer.5790

AlphaWolvesGamer.5790

Something that I’ve noticed from a lot of feedback on the forums:
Core Thief/Daredevil: Steal = Instant + “Item” Stolen = Cast Time
Deadeye: Steal = Cast Time + “Item” Stolen = Instant

Who thought this was a good design idea?

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Something that was extremely frustrating when playing in the story demo as rifle thief was the single target dps lockdown, during stages where u had to kill 5 10+ mobs it got tedious real fast having to take em down one by one, instead of having a fancy aoe.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

You don’t have to stay on rifle if you need to AoE. Switch to SB or S/P or something. Not any different from P/P.

in Thief

Warrost.4895

You don’t have to stay on rifle if you need to AoE. Switch to SB or S/P or something. Not any different from P/P.

“Rifle can be useful in Pve if you don’t use it”

in Thief

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Something that was extremely frustrating when playing in the story demo as rifle thief was the single target dps lockdown, during stages where u had to kill 5 10+ mobs it got tedious real fast having to take em down one by one, instead of having a fancy aoe.

To be completely honest, if you thought it was tedious to take down each mob individually with the rifle then I don’t think you were doing enough damage.

I was able to just melt through mobs one by one pretty quickly and had no difficulties clearing packs. Little tip, though; use Sigil of Fire. If you’re building properly as a Deadeye you’re going to be getting crits frequently and it will proc so frequently after its icd is up that you’re going to think you’re firing explosive rounds.

in Thief

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

To be completely honest, if you thought it was tedious to take down each mob individually with the rifle then I don’t think you were doing enough damage.

I was able to just melt through mobs one by one pretty quickly and had no difficulties clearing packs. Little tip, though; use Sigil of Fire. If you’re building properly as a Deadeye you’re going to be getting crits frequently and it will proc so frequently after its icd is up that you’re going to think you’re firing explosive rounds.

I had this thought as well but decent aoe on a weapon should not have to come from a sigil.

in Thief

Warrost.4895

I had this thought as well but decent aoe on a weapon should not have to come from a sigil.

To be honest, with the rifle trait you can spare your sigil of accuracy, and sigil of force won’t have such a big impact on hard but slow hitting skills.
I can totally see sigil of fire being viable on rifle.
Not a smooth solution though, a built in AOE would be better, but I can see it working.

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

More that it’s situational. You use it for alpha strikes against single targets, and for DPSing Champs. If you’re cleaning up packs of small mobs you switch to something more AoE.

done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

More that it’s situational. You use it for alpha strikes against single targets, and for DPSing Champs. If you’re cleaning up packs of small mobs you switch to something more AoE.

If you’re using a staff you can use it for both of those things… I think rifle should be the same way.

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

I have the worst time trying to kill enemies with a staff from 1500 range.

done by now.”

in Thief

Warrost.4895

Hmm strange, why don’t all the rangers use their longbow in pvp and wvw? A weapon with higher burst capability, AOE, higher projectile velocity, CC and sustain than rifle, still being underused? Could it be, that all the projectile hate and denial makes projectile based weapons rather bad?

in Thief

Posted by: Imperadordf.2687

Imperadordf.2687

Every class has at least 798 billion projectile denial skills

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Necromancer has exactly 1 projectile hate skill. (reaper has a additional one)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

Necromancer has exactly 1 projectile hate skill. (reaper has a additional one)

It may be that way, but when you need to shoot a projectile, EVERYDUCKINGTIME they bring up 798 billion projectile denials.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

This sounds like a PvP issue.

done by now.”

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

It is. But I don’t think rifle has enough DPS - Not to be confused with burst - to do continuous damage. P/P is still a better option in my opinion.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

It is. But I don’t think rifle has enough DPS – Not to be confused with burst – to do continuous damage. P/P is still a better option in my opinion.

That may be true atm. I haven’t run the numbers, but to the theorycrafter in me, Malice was intended to be the balancing factor there, that against an enemy that stays alive for a while, the Deadeye might be lower DPS than Pistol over the first ten seconds, but that ramping Malice should lead to being higher DPS over the last twenty seconds, or something like that. Now maybe that’s not the balance they achieved, but it’s one that would make sense to me. I think that a kneeled Rifle DE should balance out to be higher DPS than a mobile P/P, and if it doesn’t right now, that’s just numbers.

done by now.”

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

It is. But I don’t think rifle has enough DPS – Not to be confused with burst – to do continuous damage. P/P is still a better option in my opinion.

That may be true atm. I haven’t run the numbers, but to the theorycrafter in me, Malice was intended to be the balancing factor there, that against an enemy that stays alive for a while, the Deadeye might be lower DPS than Pistol over the first ten seconds, but that ramping Malice should lead to being higher DPS over the last twenty seconds, or something like that. Now maybe that’s not the balance they achieved, but it’s one that would make sense to me. I think that a kneeled Rifle DE should balance out to be higher DPS than a mobile P/P, and if it doesn’t right now, that’s just numbers.

Yup. They need to lower Three Round Burst’s and Death’s Judgement’s damage and make malice regenerate faster.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

It is. But I don’t think rifle has enough DPS - Not to be confused with burst - to do continuous damage. P/P is still a better option in my opinion.

Burst is more valuable if you only have a tiny opportunity to do damage, and since there’s a kittenton of projectile hate in the game, you only have tiny opportunities most of the time.

P/P Still has more reliable burst than rifle though, in that it’s far easier to deliver, so there’s that…

in Thief

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

There is another stress test tomorrow – can we get some golem tests run and get some concrete info on whether there has been an actual damage nerf? If people are comparing rifle to longbow, that suggests something pretty freaky has gone on.

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

Burst is more valuable if you only have a tiny opportunity to do damage, and since there’s a kittenton of projectile hate in the game, you only have tiny opportunities most of the time.

P/P Still has more reliable burst than rifle though, in that it’s far easier to deliver, so there’s that…

Tiny, but almost useless because of Malice mechanic. Malice generates too slow that you might sleep, have breakfast, go to work, get back home, have dinner and whoops, you still don’t have enough Malice to do damage. It is so ridicolous.

They wanted to make a balance mechanic and they literally killed the spec.

Livia – Ring Of Fire