Da Condi Quaggan Burst

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Ismael.6074

Ismael.6074

Abstract:

With the most recent patch and the subsequent restructuring of the functionality of both traits and runes I attempted to re-envision the condition meta. Through trial and error I have created a build that I believe will change the way condition thief is played. The build I propose today requires no prerequisite skills and can deal far more burst damage than any condition spec to date.

Usage:

This spec works by using tonics to simulate weapon swaps and heals. The game registers entering a tonic as a weapon swap and leaving it as a heal skill. This build uses a geomancy sigil, a hydromancy sigil and Balthazar Runes to deal AoE condition damage when you enter and leave a tonic. The internal cool down on weapon swap and heal effects are 9 and 10 seconds respectively so every 10 seconds you can enter and leave a tonic to give 4.5 seconds of AoE burning, 3 seconds of AoE chill and 3 stacks of AoE bleed.

Edit: If you bring another p/d set with 2 more weapon swap sigils ( I like leeching and doom personally) you can switch weapons after you activate the hydromancy and geomancy sigils with your tonic to activate 2 more weapon swap sigils. This lets you activate 4 weapon swap sigils every 10 seconds as well as Balthazar runes.

Note: I will refrain from referring to a tonic swap as an “exploit” in this text as whether this build uses an exploit must be defined by ArenaNet and not us. If this is build does use an exploit I assume ArenaNet to patch it promptly so any argument about it is moot. I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO ADVERTISE AN EXPLOIT.

Build:

With 1 Set of P/D only:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQJAqYlsMp8plOx7J8PNBNRxdNsCzg3hxXshaFAA-T1hHABCcCAoY/h20DAwDAYR1fsTJoRK/CAgAMzyMAeuzduzduzZmzcmzcmzsUAwMNC-w

With 2 Sets of P/D:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQJAqYlsMp8plOx7J8PNBNRxdNsCzg3hxXshaFAA-T1hHABCcCAoY/h20DAwDAYR1fsTJoRK/CAgAMzyMAeuzduzduzZmzcmzcmzsUAwMNC-w

Burst Combo:

The cookie cutter burst combo is executed as follows:
Steal + Cloak and Dagger + Sneak Attack + Enter Tonic + Leave Tonic + Shadow Strike

I have demonstrated it in the video below (excuse the poor video quality):

If you are using a second set of P/D as well to activate 4 weapon swap sigils the burst is as follows:

Steal + Cloak and Dagger + Sneak Attack + Enter Tonic + Leave Tonic + Change Weapons + Shadow Strike

FAQ:
Do you click on the tonic mid fight?
Yes. Double click on it and quickly exit it afterwards.

Why not just use the traditional weapon swap?
Many thieves, including myself, like to run either D/P or SB backup when roaming in order to escape or be more mobile. Running two sets of P/D to do a traditional weapon swap would preclude the use of both those weapons. Additionally, Balthazar Runes can only be used offensively if you use a tonic.

<Some insult about me being a noob or an exploiter> (Not a question really)

Since I began dueling with this spec in OBS I have received overwhelmingly negative responses from people I’ve fought who claim that I am an exploiter. I personally do not consider this an exploit as everything it does can be accomplished by other legitimate means. If ArenaNet claims it is an exploit I hope everyone promptly cease using it until a patch is implemented. Until then I view it as another overpowered spec just like D/P with 30 SA or P/D perplexity. Enjoy

Written by,

Babylonian Assassin

Maguuma

(edited by Ismael.6074)

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

I lol’d.

Nice discovery, maybe all my quaggan tonics will sell off for a good amount of gold now.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Emi.4152

Emi.4152

Hey baby!

After dueling with you last week stephie figured out your trick haha (the S/P thief that dueled you before me). Thats just way too cute, you’ve just made quaggans a viable fighting force in WvW (all of us from the Quaggan Patrols thank you!)

btw, do you have like… 3 hands? O_o you were dueling with someone, using this trick, AND chatting with people at the same time… 3 hands playing exploit! OP! Nerf! xP

Emi Smacks
TC

Yak’s Bend – Hello Kitty and Friends (aFK)
Lv 80 Thief – Emi Smacks / Lv 80 Ele – Emi Casts / Lv 80 Necro – Emi Nox

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Sadly, they’re probably going to “fix” this by simply disabling tonics instead of coding it correctly.

RIP tonics 3rd-quarter 2018.

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

The tonic effect has been known for a long time. In the past, they’ve been especially popular when used in conjunction with centaur runes to maintain permaswiftness. I’m sure it’s been brought to Anet’s attention many times.

However, now that runes like balthazar runes received these buffs, Anet will probably fix it.

Second Child

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Bret.6940

Bret.6940

lol nice find babs, also good duels when our paths crossed, and yay for Quaggan patrol!

Order of Grenth ~ P/P Thief~ [OGs] TC

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Ismael.6074

Hey baby!

After dueling with you last week stephie figured out your trick haha (the S/P thief that dueled you before me). Thats just way too cute, you’ve just made quaggans a viable fighting force in WvW (all of us from the Quaggan Patrols thank you!)

btw, do you have like… 3 hands? O_o you were dueling with someone, using this trick, AND chatting with people at the same time… 3 hands playing exploit! OP! Nerf! xP

Emi Smacks
TC

Thanks Emi, I had some really fun fights versus you Quaggan Patrol guys too. See you guys around next time Maguuma plays TC

Sadly, they’re probably going to “fix” this by simply disabling tonics instead of coding it correctly.

Yeah I agree that they will probably just ban tonics from WvW. It would suck though because I love running around as a Quaggan. I’d hate to be the reason why tonics got banned but it is just so fun to run this build :/

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Pautik.9751

Pautik.9751

How in the…. Do you use the tonic and exit it so fast? :P

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Yeah I agree that they will probably just ban tonics from WvW. It would suck though because I love running around as a Quaggan. I’d hate to be the reason why tonics got banned but it is just so fun to run this build :/

I feel your pain. I switched over to tonic-stomping people after the no-fun police banned my fireworks in WvW. If they take that away, I don’t know what I’d do.

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

how did you apply burning?!

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Ismael.6074

how did you apply burning?!

The game registers leaving constume brawl capable tonics as using a heal skill. Therefore I can activate the burning on heal effect of Balthazar runes by using a Quaggan tonic. With the condition duration buffs I have I usually give about 6 seconds of burning per tonic swap.

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Ismael.6074

Although I haven’t played in 3 months, due to the current state of teefs I thought I’d stop by and do the community a service/disservice by bumping my build.

Up up and away!!!!

IT STILL WORKS AND ITS NOT A GLITCH/EXPLOIT!

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Yeah, this is totally an exploit. Using a transformation tonic to do insane aoe condi burst? Complete and utter shenanigans.

(p.s. this is still being used..)

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yeah, it’s an exploit~ not a very fun one to perform unless you really wanna be a try-hard that badly though. =/

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

I mean its pretty funny to be hit by the quaggan burst tbh. On the scale of exploits its pretty small anyways, probably more along the line of creative use of game mechanics than exploit really.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Starlightmagus.8654

Starlightmagus.8654

I’m going to have to try this now…

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Oh no…please don’t ‘fix’ this by disabling tonics in combat ANet. I need my cat tonic on my Ranger so I can stop my stupid pet from aggro-ing while we are stealth skipping

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

Oh no…please don’t ‘fix’ this by disabling tonics in combat ANet. I need my cat tonic on my Ranger so I can stop my stupid pet from aggro-ing while we are stealth skipping

You know you can stow pets right?

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

You know that when you take damage they come out right?

However, if I use my cat tonic, the pet is GONE. Like completely so if I take damage while stealth running (IE in Arah before Lupi when you jump down in stealth, the kitten pet pops out and screws everything up)…I stay a cat and the pet doesn’t pop ruining things.

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

You know that when you take damage they come out right?

However, if I use my cat tonic, the pet is GONE. Like completely so if I take damage while stealth running (IE in Arah before Lupi when you jump down in stealth, the kitten pet pops out and screws everything up)…I stay a cat and the pet doesn’t pop ruining things.

Awesome tip for my ranger! ty!

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Da Condi Quaggan Burst

in Thief

Ismael.6074

It has been around since launch and I have never heard a developer call it a glitch/exploit so I expect we will all be able to prosper from tonics for a long time to come.