Daredevil named "Outlaw" in spanish game.

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

In the spanish version of the blog post, they refer to the Daredevil as “Forajido” which means “Outlaw” in english.

This is probably because in spanish the direct translation of the term daredevil would need many words and sound really lame.

Just letting all the “Daredevil change name” supporters know that he is already “Outlaw” in other languages.

PS: This isn’t the first case, our Ranger is called “Guardabosques” which means Forestal Guard.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

That’s great! Now if we only knew Spanish…

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

That’s great! Now if we only knew Spanish…

Well, just saying it to point that THERE IS an official alternative as the bame used a word that means Outlaw.

I don’t care much about the name (keeping or changing it) but just giving some info to those that are looking for alternatives to sugest as this is one a-net themselves used to describw the specialization.

in Thief

Posted by: damnwidget.9301

damnwidget.9301

Daredevil literal translation to Spanish is “Temerario” that means exactly what daredevil English word means in English :P

The reason that the Spanish localization team translated it as “Forajido” is the same that they had to translate “Tempest” to “Cataclista” (that is not even a real word in Spanish), just because they suck hard and fail high.

That is why I always play any game in English, including GW2, because they always end up translating cool things into kittenty and stupid names that lost all their meaning in the localized versions.

In my humble opinion, “Outlaw” doesn’t really fit the elite spec, probably Daredevil neither but Outlaw doesn’t for sure.

[SoW] Sông Of War – Baruch Bay

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

In French, Daredevil has bee translated as “Destroyer” or “Breaker” which is pretty corny I think.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

this name Daredevil, imo does not fit in the Gw2 theme at all, feels out of place.
i would love to hear the reason why this name was selected… I hope they explane this no the stream.

Note: have you searched for the meaning of Daredevil?
here u go:
A professional daredevil performs standalone stunts for their dramatic value. He or she usually has an organized performance in which a handful of challenging tasks are displayed for the public. Daredevils may broadcast their shows on television or sell tickets for monetary gain. Making a career as a daredevil is tough and dangerous work; it requires self promotion skills as well as stunt training.

Basically a Clown! tks Karl

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

In French, Daredevil has bee translated as “Destroyer” or “Breaker” which is pretty corny I think.

Fracasseur. That’s a pretty questionable name for the spec. I’d have gone on the lines of Téméraire or something.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Fracasseur. That’s a pretty questionable name for the spec. I’d have gone on the lines of Téméraire or something.

Everytime I hear fracasseur I keep thinking fracasado, which is like failure in Spanish lol

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Everytime I hear fracasseur I keep thinking fracasado, which is like failure in Spanish lol

Well I… didn’t see that one coming. ,_,

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

this name Daredevil, imo does not fit in the Gw2 theme at all, feels out of place.
i would love to hear the reason why this name was selected… I hope they explane this no the stream.

Note: have you searched for the meaning of Daredevil?
here u go:
A professional daredevil performs standalone stunts for their dramatic value. He or she usually has an organized performance in which a handful of challenging tasks are displayed for the public. Daredevils may broadcast their shows on television or sell tickets for monetary gain. Making a career as a daredevil is tough and dangerous work; it requires self promotion skills as well as stunt training.

Basically a Clown! tks Karl

Except you purposefully went out to get the worst definition you could. The very basic definition of a daredevil is a reckless thrill seeker. Daredevils as a hobby or act is just an extended definition, as the stunt people are, in fact, daredevils.

Attachments:

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Thief

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Repostign what got deleted, due to havign a quote in my postign from someone others postign that got deleted (seriously, don’t havde mods here tools to seperate posts, so that they dont have to chain delete multiples postings of different people for somethign liek that?

Here a multi language solution for how the Daredevil should be renamed for the localized languages, that would perfectly work for all languages, meaning exactly the SAME thing, without that it has any kind of different synonyms for other languages meanign something similr or different:

German: Scharmützler
English: Skirmisher
French: Escamoucheur
Spanish: Escaramuzer/a (Spanish is the only little problem, because the languuage doesn’t seem to know the word as like being calling that for a person/profession, only as general noun for a reckless battle, not for a reckless fighter, but it isnt really a big step by turning the generic noun into a word I think, that could count for Spaniosh for a reckless person and not as a general term for a reckless battle, like all the other localited european languages have a word for that also too)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside