Daredevil s/p new meta?

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

The daredevil’s grandmaster traits all change its dodge in some way. One grandmaster, Bounding dodger, changes our dodge into a leap finisher that damages at the end. This is huge, as now a thief can use offhand pistol to stealth without the use of heartseeker. This means p/p and s/p now have access to a reliable means of stealth.

There is also a master trait, impacting disruption, that triggers a pulmonary impact every time you interrupt an opponent, which is something pistol whip, head shot, and sword’s stealth attack are awesome at.

So what do you guys think of this? Will s/p + impacting disruption become the new meta? Or do you think d/p is still superior?

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Endless Truth.3074

Endless Truth.3074

Considering it does damage even if used in the right field you will be reveled afterwards, so it a great way to proc reveled training other than pointless in smoke fields. (unless u hit no target).

Daredevil i believe seems focused on giving thieves a more active defense rather than passive (stealth) which is in this case evasion.

Sword energizes with the evasion and mobility aspect

and both sword and pistol benefit from the interrupt trait if the trait has no cooldown even better. but the weaknesses are still going to be there for s/p (stands still to pistol whip) & p/p (single target R.I.P ricochet)

d/p & d/d are trendy not superior to s/p i assume you were mostly talking about pvp when you made your statement.

the final numbers on damage since damage is meta atm will determine the mass viability particualrly on Impacting Disruption & Driven Fortitude.

the damage on dodge also gives a way to deal damage while waiting or initiative to recover

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Loki.8793

You have to consider that thieves who get stealth from heartseeker stay in stealth even if they hit with the attack. It could easily be the same for Bounding Dodger. But, even if it isn’t, having the ability to stealth with any offhand weapon is huge and adds a lot more options for any given scenario.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Endless Truth.3074

i accounted for it like i said you will only get revealed if you hit a target so it can be done. useful absolutely. but not ground breaking as thieves have an abundance of stealth or escape options already.

i do wonder about the elite though if players might start to favor that over basilisk poison

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Cornholio.1567

Cornholio.1567

Think its gonna be fun and a great change for pp and condi thiefs , but as you can now enter stealh without dagger l think there will be alot of whine and the trait gonna change within 3 or 5 months after exp.. cuz we cant have nice things..

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Endless Truth.3074

LOL haters are always gunna hate on stealth, mean while warriors stack invlu like it’s nothing and necros have 3x our hp

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Jesse.4631

Jesse.4631

i’ve mained s/p for a quite a while now and while i do think this buff will greatly help and bring more players to the weapon set i don’t see it surpassing d/p and s/d meta wise. The survival on this build is easily countered by range play so in 1v2s your usually at a huge disadvantage if anyone is ranging. honestly d/p will be able to proc the around the same amount of pulmonary impact as a s/p build

Pink Sylvari FTW!

(edited by Jesse.4631)

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

Sword pistol doesnt work because what u got? 3 useless skill 4 useless skill 5 useless skill

all these skills dont go with sword unless u wanna pistol whip in PvP be my guest on gettin wrecked on first person that dodges

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Sword pistol doesnt work because what u got? 3 useless skill 4 useless skill 5 useless skill

all these skills dont go with sword unless u wanna pistol whip in PvP be my guest on gettin wrecked on first person that dodges

What? #3 it erupt massive dmg and evade, Down side is it roots you and a long wind up

1. on demand interupt
  2. smoke feild wich can be used in defence and offence.

Very useless indeed. And just because it is not meta it dosnt mean it dosnt work because it does still kill people, good or bad people.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

S/P never used acrobatic when it was a better evade trait line and the build itself was never really that great. So I don’t see why it would suddently be good out of nowhere because of Daredevil.

S/D on the other end will most probably be a contender for meta with Daredevil. It was exchanging place with D/P for a long time before the nerf to acrobatics. It will probably won’t replace D/P because their role isn’t the same and the D/P role is more important. But the effectiveness of each build will probably be more similar.

@ Fat Disgrace. S/P is a one trick pony. It only kill bad players, unaware players, or when you caught player by surprise because it been several months since most people saw one of those.

Yep, it can kill people. But like I said, its a one trick pony. If someone know how to counter you #3, then you are completely useless. There is a reason why nobody even bother to update that build after the specialization update. It work wonder in low level matches, but otherwise…

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

People will use the new dodge and test it out. Will be fun until they unintentionally reveal themselves by dodging.

You going to sit in Shadow Refuge and eat all that aoe/cleave damage w/o dodging? GG

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Thaddeus.4891

People will use the new dodge and test it out. Will be fun until they unintentionally reveal themselves by dodging.

You going to sit in Shadow Refuge and eat all that aoe/cleave damage w/o dodging? GG

True, but it’s not like this happen a lot. I mean, using your SR and dodging in it, that’s the worst case scenario when you kittened up or got yourself into an bad fight. You usually want to keep your SR to rez your team.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Gabriell.4856

True, but it’s not like this happen a lot. I mean, using your SR and dodging in it, that’s the worst case scenario when you kittened up or got yourself into an bad fight. You usually want to keep your SR to rez your team.

Are you seriously going to argue that thieve don’t use SR often? Really?

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Loki.8793

I don’t see why people are assuming your dodge will reveal you if it hit someone, heartseeker does the same thing and doesn’t reveal you if it hits.

I only bring the question of s/p being meta because it has problems with survivability. It doesn’t have built in evades, so it needs shadow arts or acrobatics to survive. But with the nerf acrobatics and no inherent stealth on the set, you die really fast and makes the set really gimmicky.

Now, with daredevil, we have the ability to stealth and have a third endurance bar, which could solve the survivability problems with s/p. If it can survive, it can offer potentially more than d/p. It has an engager, just like d/p 3, as well as a condi clear. It cleaves and does weakness on auto. Pistolwhip does about as much as backstab, only is more spammable, hits 3 people, and interrupts often (which triggers pulminary impact for more damage).

Honestly, it does everything d/p does only with less blinds and more weakness, condi clear, and interrupts.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

Impacting Disruption trait is in the same category with Escapist’s Absolution.

While S/P offers interruptions along with Sleigh of Hand, I can’t seem do push away the skepticism that we will be kittened without Escapists Absolution.

I need more arguments in favor of Impacting Disruption and why a condi cleanse trait is not that important in WvW.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

No, not new meta. Why? Because changes to professions + new class and elite spec will fluctuate game a lot and meta will shape in time. You can’t just shout “meta” at something when you don’t know how will the game shape in coming months with new variables and strategies in play.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Gabriell.4856

I don’t see why people are assuming your dodge will reveal you if it hit someone, heartseeker does the same thing and doesn’t reveal you if it hits.

I only bring the question of s/p being meta because it has problems with survivability. It doesn’t have built in evades, so it needs shadow arts or acrobatics to survive. But with the nerf acrobatics and no inherent stealth on the set, you die really fast and makes the set really gimmicky.

Now, with daredevil, we have the ability to stealth and have a third endurance bar, which could solve the survivability problems with s/p. If it can survive, it can offer potentially more than d/p. It has an engager, just like d/p 3, as well as a condi clear. It cleaves and does weakness on auto. Pistolwhip does about as much as backstab, only is more spammable, hits 3 people, and interrupts often (which triggers pulminary impact for more damage).

Honestly, it does everything d/p does only with less blinds and more weakness, condi clear, and interrupts.

You will probably be able to stealth via P#5 then dodge even if you hit someone as long as you’re not in stealth. The problem is, what the hell are you going to do while in stealth when you need to dodge? Very clunky.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

You will probably be able to stealth via P#5 then dodge even if you hit someone as long as you’re not in stealth. The problem is, what the hell are you going to do while in stealth when you need to dodge? Very clunky.

It is a little clunky, but we can see stealth as a Daredevil stealth gives you access to precious Knock down. Clunky but still worth it imo.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Gabriell.4856

It is a little clunky, but we can see stealth as a Daredevil stealth gives you access to precious Knock down. Clunky but still worth it imo.

And how are you going to stealth with Staff w/o SA or utilties? He’s talking about x/P which doesnt have a KD.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

And how are you going to stealth with Staff w/o SA or utilties? He’s talking about x/P which doesnt have a KD.

well you use x/P #5, dodge a few times, switch to staff . Did I miss something here?

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Gabriell.4856

well you use x/P #5, dodge a few times, switch to staff . Did I miss something here?

LOL ok…..

Could of just used d/p then switch to staff but w/e.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

I’m all for build diversity but (I’m gonna generate some hate here) I want to keep the thief a class that relies on the skill of the player.

I’m sorry but let’s face it…S/P and P/P do not. I cringed every time I saw high level play with a S/P thief in it in the past.

S/P: Pistol whip is why this set requires minimal skill to play. Literally 1 PW can down a zerker class or get them to extremely low health. The fact you get a stun and evade frames is just icing on the cake. Before anyone says the wind up is an easy tell remember we are all thieves here and understand all the tricks used. Now we are adding on demand stealth which makes your PW’s even easier to land……

P/P: Again the 3 skill is the culprit, and all I really have to say is we can compare it to LB ranger skill level….

Now don’t get me wrong I’ve ran these sets and have enjoyed running these sets, but I do understand what they are. Heck I even have a my wardrobe set up picked out for running P/P gun slinging face stomper….but I realize that it needs to stay niche + not meta.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Thaddeus.4891

Are you seriously going to argue that thieve don’t use SR often? Really?

Read more carefully pls. I said that it’s not often that SR is used to keep you alive while you dodge AoE inside of it. In WvW ya, but in sPvP you want to avoid that situation as much as possible. I never ever said that thief don’t use SR often.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

I’m all for build diversity but (I’m gonna generate some hate here) I want to keep the thief a class that relies on the skill of the player.

I’m sorry but let’s face it…S/P and P/P do not. I cringed every time I saw high level play with a S/P thief in it in the past.

S/P: Pistol whip is why this set requires minimal skill to play. Literally 1 PW can down a zerker class or get them to extremely low health. The fact you get a stun and evade frames is just icing on the cake. Before anyone says the wind up is an easy tell remember we are all thieves here and understand all the tricks used. Now we are adding on demand stealth which makes your PW’s even easier to land……

P/P: Again the 3 skill is the culprit, and all I really have to say is we can compare it to LB ranger skill level….

Now don’t get me wrong I’ve ran these sets and have enjoyed running these sets, but I do understand what they are. Heck I even have a my wardrobe set up picked out for running P/P gun slinging face stomper….but I realize that it needs to stay niche + not meta.

Well, with the new leap trait both builds will require more skill than pressing 33333 non stop.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

LOL ok…..

Could of just used d/p then switch to staff but w/e.

I really don’t see your point mate. I was just saying to the OP that this method is clunky but it still works. What you are saying doesn’t really lead anywhere.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

What? #3 it erupt massive dmg and evade, Down side is it roots you and a long wind up

1. on demand interupt
  2. smoke feild wich can be used in defence and offence.

Very useless indeed. And just because it is not meta it dosnt mean it dosnt work because it does still kill people, good or bad people.

okay go interupt someone just when u want most skills in gw2 are insta cast have fun interupting on the right moment.
as for 5 yes its good but since 3/4 are pretty useless the whole weapon set becomes useless to me.

i use S/P when i cap camps i put malice and crit HP vamp from crit strikes and i just spam 3 yes works awesome beside that i feel hopeless when some enemy happend to come around the corner when im using these weapons.

S/D is far superior to S/P even tho S/D is not that good at the moment also so imagine.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

T raw.4658

Well, with the new leap trait both builds will require more skill than pressing 33333 non stop.

No they will require even less skill due to an easier disengage.

Now with a reliable disengage you can use the noob friendly bursting of these sets.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: MatthiasL.5346

MatthiasL.5346

Obviously s/d will get the most of dd trailine. S/d offers naturally evade playstyle which synergies well with proc on evade traits. Additionally s/d does not depend on stealth. Ppl say d/p will get much better with dd… I doubt it. D/p builds have to abandon SA, DA or CS. Trickery is essential so most will drop SA and therefore explode against condition builds. Also have fun if you have to dodge while in stealth. Proc traits don’t work either if the enemy is blinded …
S/p itself might work better due to possible stealth disengage and a bit more dmg spike. However still a one trick pony…

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Psymon.4750

Psymon.4750

I still use s/p. And I will still keep using it. S/p is still OK to use, yes it needs a buff and can be countered but as can any other weapon set. S/p, the way I use it is with acro trickery and deadly arts. Come hot release I will try acro daredevil and trickery. I usually use it as a tanky dodge type set but still pumping out the burst. And for all the people saying its not worth or no one uses s/p after update that’s something that a few believe. I have s/p builds for stealth and also nonstealth builds.( I look ve the non stealth one cause everyone thinks that a thief is suppose to stealth).

S/p rupts can be good if not god like at shutting down someone. And if you are having a bad time with it then guess what……… You are just bad at s/p thief, congratulations you need to practice it more and stop spewing non sense about how no one can rupt people with it. I can say I have caught a few people off guard with s/p but even still if they are pro or not they should be able to adapt and overcome my terrible weapon set yet I have seen many a “pro or skilled player” alike just die or get instant locked down to it and usually that playing the meta shadow arts regen perma stealth till full health build.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Impacting Disruption trait is in the same category with Escapist’s Absolution.

While S/P offers interruptions along with Sleigh of Hand, I can’t seem do push away the skepticism that we will be kittened without Escapists Absolution.

I need more arguments in favor of Impacting Disruption and why a condi cleanse trait is not that important in WvW.

In case you’re using S/P, you most probably won’t be running shadow arts for condi removal due to lack of stealthing. So not running escapist’s absolution will put you in the same situation as pre-expansion builds. In that perspective, if you’re able to pull S/P off pre-expansion, you could consider taking up Impacting Disruption.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Spurrlock.3219

Spurrlock.3219

@DarkSyze what does any of that have to do with this thread?

OP, don’t forget about distracting daggers and the block skill as well! Daredevil is really breathing life into s/p. With damage on interrupt s/p will no longer be a one trick pony press three to win (Thaddeus) and will reward skillful play (T raw).

I can’t wait to try this build. But new meta? Unlikely.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

I don’t see it. S/P is incredibly initiative hungry (especially in sPvP where Pistol Whip had its initiative cost increased). If you are even trying to make good use of Pistol Whip, you have very little room for anything else, particularly a 6 initiative blind field for a 3 second stealth.

If, on the other hand, you aren’t playing Pistol Whip heavy and making use of Head Shot and the Black Powder / Bound synergy, you’d be better off running D/P – as unlike sword builds, dagger primary gets its damage at 0 initiative cost provided you are entering stealth.

Sure it’s nice that it gets a new toy, but as D/P takes even better advantage of it – and D/P is already the superior PvP weapon set – I have trouble seeing it being more than a fun little niche build.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

^^ He has a point. That’s why I like DareD line so much. It not only makes bad setups very viable, but it also empowered the current meta. The dev truly outdone himself I think. With this line, almost everybody wins.

I am getting sick of D/P tbh. I have been running this for a few months now and i am sick and tired of seeing only D/P thieves friend or foe in WvW. So I will definitely train my S/P skill, and really get into the revealed combat the Daredevil is supposed to be.

For utilities, i’ ll be using 2 Physical skills but still hesitating on the last one.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I think that S/D will probably become the new meta in HoT, especially if there are no big changes to Thief between now and then. As is, S/D is already our second most viable spec (not that there’s a lot of competition)…

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Considering it does damage even if used in the right field you will be reveled afterwards, so it a great way to proc reveled training other than pointless in smoke fields. (unless u hit no target).

Daredevil i believe seems focused on giving thieves a more active defense rather than passive (stealth) which is in this case evasion.

and both sword and pistol benefit from the interrupt trait if the trait has no cooldown even better. but the weaknesses are still going to be there for s/p (stands still to pistol whip) & p/p (single target R.I.P ricochet)

d/p & d/d are trendy not superior to s/p i assume you were mostly talking about pvp when you made your statement.

the final numbers on damage since damage is meta atm will determine the mass viability particualrly on Impacting Disruption & Driven Fortitude.

the damage on dodge also gives a way to deal damage while waiting or initiative to recover

Wrong, Karl confirmed the staff and dodge leaps work like heartseeker so you deal damage then stealth.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: ZvolTx.3165

ZvolTx.3165

I think it’s funny how there are people saying s/p is easy or takes no skill. Against new players? Sure, but so is anything else. Against good players it’s easy? Lolno. Sorry but it’s far from “press 3 to win”, especially considering that 3 on d/p carries it just as significantly if not moreso. A thief playing s/p and doing well deserves far more props than a thief using d/p and doing well, d/p is by far the lowest skill requirement build thief has with incredibly high reward for the low amount of risk.

Zvolteh
One of 3 Base Thieves still playing the game

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

d/p is by far the lowest skill requirement build thief has with incredibly high reward for the low amount of risk.

Let’s not carry ourselves here. Lowest? D/P became a little overated because we were all almost forced into it. In June, a few month ago, I started a thread to help me get better with D/P cause I was sooo used to D/D and S/D.

So as you mentioned:

Is a kill from S/P more rewarding than a kill from a D/P?

I would say most definitely so. I would also add landing your #3 and hitting all 7-8 hits is a lot more challenging than landing a backstab or a D/P #3.

Is the skill cap of S/P higher than D/P? In other words, is it harder to master S/P than D/P?

With the current gameplay, I would say yes. S/P players are more ballsy and courageous. I don’t remember the last time i met a S/P thief in WvW and I swear If i get killed by one on a meta build, I would probably whisper him GG out of respect.

Then again, It all depends on your trait build. With HoT coming, it will be very favorable to play S/P (I will definitely use this set) but we still couldn’t say the skillcap of S/P > D/P.

It’s just hard to compare two builds, all else equal and claim it’s harder to master S/P over D/P.

idk that’s just me.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

(edited by Kocoff.7582)

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Luceid.3850

Luceid.3850

Wrong, Karl confirmed the staff and dodge leaps work like heartseeker so you deal damage then stealth.

Can you link where this was confirmed? I’d love to see that. I watched the POI and it was not mentioned AFAIK.

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Can you link where this was confirmed? I’d love to see that. I watched the POI and it was not mentioned AFAIK.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Thief-POI/first#post5427446

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Luceid.3850

Luceid.3850

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Thief-POI/first#post5427446

Thank you!

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

T raw.4658

I think it’s funny how there are people saying s/p is easy or takes no skill. Against new players? Sure, but so is anything else. Against good players it’s easy? Lolno. Sorry but it’s far from “press 3 to win”, especially considering that 3 on d/p carries it just as significantly if not moreso. A thief playing s/p and doing well deserves far more props than a thief using d/p and doing well, d/p is by far the lowest skill requirement build thief has with incredibly high reward for the low amount of risk.

What part of S/P requires skill?

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

What part of S/P requires skill?

I think S/x requires skill in general.

Sword is by far the most tactical weapon in the Thief’s kitten nal. If you say S/P requires 0 skill than it is only logical to say that neither does S/D, and we both know that cannot be true.

- One requires a serious commitment;
- The other requires a mastery of timing.

It’s a real amount of risk in both ends.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Daredevil s/p new meta?

in Thief

Posted by: Jesse.4631

Jesse.4631

This is my opinion on the weapon sets d/p and s/p

D/P is more versatile of the 2 weapon sets, what keeps it on top of the meta. It has great dmg with back stab and its dmg mitigation lies in blinds and easy access to stealth. The easy access to stealth is what gives it a huge edge to S/P imo, it gives the thief a few moments to breath and reset the fight if the thief chooses while staying in combat.

S/P has greater cleave and utility, what has kept it out of the meta is its poor sustainability. Its lack of stealth forces the player to play aggressive and try to end the fight before its drawn out.

I am probably Biased toward s/p since it is my main build for WvW but i feel its more rewarding then when i play d/p in pvp.

Oh and as for the 3333 comments the only thief weapon set that i haven’t seen spam 3 is D/D :p so i don’t think anyone else has much room to talk

Pink Sylvari FTW!