Daredevil underwheliming in PvP?

in Thief

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

I love the playstyle, but can´t kill anyone as a DD.

A warrior kills me within two hits with his auto attack while I have to hit him with vault atleast 7 times before he goes down. I´m a decent thief player when when using D/P, but I can´t kill anyone when I´m running a DD build.

Is there something I´m missing?

in Thief

Posted by: Glissan.3245

Glissan.3245

Yeah, a revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Weakening charge plus steal is your friend.
You also have other weapon sets. Don’t forget about that. It also takes some getting used to with daredevil and staff, you can still deal a lot of damage but you need to know how. Utilize your CC to land vaults and weakening charge. Target your vault where they are going. Step back before using weakening charge to get all three hits. Etc.

in Thief

Posted by: Luranni.9470

Luranni.9470

I like it a lot and what alchemyst said is also correct. However the staff isn’t quite.. it doesn’t quite work as it is.

I’d love to see a Dark field put on dusk strike – not a smoke field – for added sustain with life leech and a bit more group synergy.

Luranni
Perish [FLEE]
Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Been using d/d staff in the next new pve. It’s much better then other weapon sets. Not tried it in pvp by I think s/d is still a better weapon set then staff. Seen a few staff thieves in pvp but none were too much of a problem but I blame lack of experience on using staff.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: GodSaw.2675

GodSaw.2675

Tried out DD a few games and gor wrecked it wasent even funny.
However, then I tried out celestial P/d with daredevil and had a lot of success. Maybe I just got lucky Anyone tried it out too?

Oh and I tried out staff too/ also got wrecked

in Thief

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

What’s your cele p/d build look like? That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

in Thief

Posted by: Luranni.9470

Luranni.9470

I played around with celestial p/p with both interrupt traits, not bad actually.

Luranni
Perish [FLEE]
Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

yeah thief and daredevil still need considerable buffing but it’s usable at least

in Thief

Posted by: Revengeance.8956

Revengeance.8956

I find staff daredevil very enjoyable so far. It has access to a few of the things I’ve been looking for when I’ve first picked up the class. The possibility to have a bit of stunlock and it still keeps a good deal of mobility coupled with incredibly good dodging.

For those of you that feel underwhelmed by it I suggest you try to do what the daredevil rune silently says, forget about zerker meta for a minute. You will be pleasantly surprised !

Most importantly… I feel like I have a very good chance against any profession without dying in one second….while also leaving a lot of space for personal improvement !

in Thief

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

yeah having a 5 move knockdown spam perma invis to reset fights and 3 dodges is underwealming……k…. would u like a move that insta wins the game for you?

in Thief

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

yeah having a 5 move knockdown spam perma invis to reset fights and 3 dodges is underwealming……k…. would u like a move that insta wins the game for you?

English please? Don’t know what knockdown spam you talk of, the staff stealth attack? Doesn’t have any ways to stealth without utilities http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smoke_Screen will give you 2 knockdowns in 7 seconds maybe or using pistol off hand and using it before swapping but that has a 10 second cooldown of not being able to use staff. 3rd dodge doesn’t increase regen speed and is only affected by a single trait, Hard to Catch so it’s .75 second invulnerability once a fight and DH gets 5 second projectile destruction with Aegis spam for free.

in Thief

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

Grats.. You look like an idiot. 5 does not knockdown and daredevil does not sync with stealth well. Learn class mechanics before trying to talk smack.

in Thief

Posted by: AlCojester.4316

AlCojester.4316

Typical ranger

in Thief

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

you are an idiot! Thats for sure..
I bet you never even tried the class or skills.. just heard a friend who fails at this game complaining and took what he said as true story..
Guess what.. it is not.. DD is far from being viable..and thief is not really in a good poaition either now.. but DD? Not even worth going after the hero points.
Just for the fun? You can have fun with rev too…since it is new class and is useful. That is anet master plan. Thieves will think:
What should i do: gp after hero points to unlock a weak spec or play the shiny new class that is useful and fun??

in Thief

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I still haven`t lost a game on my thief since the expansion. I`ve only won 3 times though…. Either way unless there was an MMR reset, Daredevil seems strong. I’ve been player a zerker build (13k hp with wurm runes) and barely die. It is very fast paced and fun. I actually won my last game paired with another thief. We only won by 8 points and kills at the end, it was beautiful come back (we decapped everything and killed our way from a 30 points behind).

I think if you like Thief, you will probably enjoy the daredevil. If you felt Thief was underwhelming, you probably won’t feel very different now. The Daredevil is every bit as twitch focused as the Thief. You need to be on the ball all the time and one mistake can kill you. But it feels a little like playing old school Vindictus at times on my old Lann.

Fast paced and has strengths. I think the daredevil elite spec is wonderfully done; one of the more balanced elites. It doesn’t feel stronger per se than normal traitlines, but it is specialized and works really well for what it does. I am so excited for the sniper elite spec coming next (fingers crossed)

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

I still haven`t lost a game on my thief since the expansion. I`ve only won 3 times though…. Either way unless there was an MMR reset, Daredevil seems strong. I’ve been player a zerker build (13k hp with wurm runes) and barely die. It is very fast paced and fun. I actually won my last game paired with another thief. We only won by 8 points and kills at the end, it was beautiful come back (we decapped everything and killed our way from a 30 points behind).

I think if you like Thief, you will probably enjoy the daredevil. If you felt Thief was underwhelming, you probably won’t feel very different now. The Daredevil is every bit as twitch focused as the Thief. You need to be on the ball all the time and one mistake can kill you. But it feels a little like playing old school Vindictus at times on my old Lann.

Fast paced and has strengths. I think the daredevil elite spec is wonderfully done; one of the more balanced elites. It doesn’t feel stronger per se than normal traitlines, but it is specialized and works really well for what it does. I am so excited for the sniper elite spec coming next (fingers crossed)

this is the problem ppl facing now with DD compare to others elite spec.
DD seem balance. with good condi cleanse while attacking so can go without SA, nice dodges abilities so can go without ACRO,
but what unique it brings to the thief?. none. as other saud befoe just another dodge (or 2 with steal)
necro got great dmg in melee and nice soft cc aoe. can play condi with burning, minions master with rise etc…
mesmer can play now bunker support and powerblock and the bect concept for elite IMO
ranger – havent play it but i heard ppl like it alot both power spec and support spec
ele – also nice conpet which is bugged atm but can go without water line with shouts and rune which cleanse condi etc..

also every other class got dmg buffed while thief stay the same. why? cause of stealth
d/p will be the meta for long time
you wont see much interupt builds like s/p in pvp

i love the thief and hope anet will adress its problems soon or else all thief will go revenant….

in Thief

Posted by: Strategist.6132

Strategist.6132

To be really honest, I have been playing thief since launch, but I dropped it 6 months ago because I just felt underpowered. I still occasionally play it though, but that feeling does not go away.

I believe this ‘underpowered’ feeling results from a few things:

- Thieves do not have a lot of armor or condition cleanse making them very unforgiving when mistakes are made. While a warrior or engineer can tank quite a lot of damage, for a thief getting hit by a small burst we almost have no choice but to retreat, since our healing/tank capabilities are not as good.

- Thieves are generally more power based then condition based, expecially since we don’t have access to burn. Because the current meta (necro’s, engineers, warriors, revenants, D/D elementalist) in general are quite tanky, it is hard to do a lot of damage without having to retreat because you got hit a few times.

- Thieves probably need more skill / experience to be played well. I still believe thief has some potential sometimes I just ask myself the question: “Why should I work so hard to be successful, while I can also choose another class and work less hard to be successful?”

Lately I hear a lot of people say that they find thief quite underpowered. I wonder if the Developers of Anet feel this way too, or if they think it is in a good spot. Its hard to find a good solution though.

Small comparison between Scrapper Hammer and Backstab

Thief:
Backstab damage coefficient: 2.4 (when hit from behind)

Scrapper:
#2: Electrowhirl (6s CD) damage coefficient: 2.2
#3: Rocket Charge (10s CD) damage coefficient: 3.0
#4: Shock Shield (20s CD) damage coefficient: 2.5
#5: Thunderclap (25s CD) damage coefficient: 3.6

I understand that Anet wants to put the Elite specializations in a good spot, but I just think that the damage of some classes really make thief unplayable. We die so fast now in group fights, that thieves are kind of forces to take all kind of utility skills that help them survive, instead of focussing on damage as opposed to for example Engineer.

in Thief

The one to Rule.2593

Grats.. You look like an idiot. 5 does not knockdown and daredevil does not sync with stealth well. Learn class mechanics before trying to talk smack.

I never said skill 5 was a knockdown, I said they can knockdown spam about 5 times til someone is just dead cuz they cant get up to use stability. Reading comprehension is hard I know.

in Thief

The one to Rule.2593

Typical ranger

I don’t play ranger whatsoever.

in Thief

The one to Rule.2593

you are an idiot! Thats for sure..
I bet you never even tried the class or skills.. just heard a friend who fails at this game complaining and took what he said as true story..
Guess what.. it is not.. DD is far from being viable..and thief is not really in a good poaition either now.. but DD? Not even worth going after the hero points.
Just for the fun? You can have fun with rev too…since it is new class and is useful. That is anet master plan. Thieves will think:
What should i do: gp after hero points to unlock a weak spec or play the shiny new class that is useful and fun??

You don’t need hero points in spvp, I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not. I’ve played the game since release and theif has always been the most broken class. All they do is stealth and run away when they start to lose then come back 5 seconds later spamming heartseeker. They one shot kill just about any light armor class, and now classes with weak access to stability get wrecked by them too. theives are far from being in a bad place in pvp. Pve? sure i’d agree there, but not even close to bad in pvp Possibly the most broken, overpowered class i’ve ever seen for pvp.

in Thief

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Was playing with an anet guy earlier in stronghold and he was running some evade spam condi spec and was largely unkillable.

Think it was lotus and trickery line. Pretty trollish, just annoying people by dumping condis everywhere lol.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Thief

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

Staff is fun for the first few minutes but I find the weapon very underwhelming. Its not very powerful, it doesn’t offer stealth, and it gets outclassed by sword or dagger in most cases.

The dodges are fun, and the utility skills are okay-ish.

I dunno, I find the whole spec to be really disappointing.

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I’m running Staff with great success. Only thing I really have a problem with are Trapper Dragonhunters but I’m sure that’s universal with Thieves.