Dear Thief Community,

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

I feel sorry for you.

I have never seen so much blind hatred toward a single class until I got to these forums about a week ago. Before switching MMOs, I witnessed plenty of profession hate. The best example is WoW with Rouges and Hunters that were supposedly bad. Then I come here and it’s like almost as bad as a religious inquisition when I looked at the thief forums.

That is the main reason why I started thief in the first place. Some players were over-the-top complaining about it talking about some really far fetched characteristics that I just had to see. I figured that once I felt ready for pvp that I would already know something about this overpowered class enough to at least survive one.

So I make one and started off playing really poorly. The transition from cooldowns to a universal skill pool took a few days to adjust. So to speed up the process I got onto the thief forums and I come to find that thieves are kinda in a war against some of the other players. Regardless, I scanned the topics in search for some players who seemed like they have great experience with the thief. There were a few and all of them were just as aggressive as the next.

I managed to read one of their (really long) post lists and immediately decided to contact them in game. Now at first, I thought he was going to turn me away seeing as how most of his posts were harsh which told me he was an kitten . However when I told him I wanted to learn about thieves, he snatched me up and took me to an arena real quickly.

I spent the next few days with him talking about everything about the thief. He never gave me specific builds I should be using at certain points in the game but he did break down every trait, weapon set skill and utility down so well that I knew exactly what I wanted to run.

By the end of his lesson, I quickly came to realize that thief is broken but not the “super overpowered death machine” type of broke. He even let me test everything out and helped me with all the math I could possibly need. Just to list everything that happened within the past few days…

I learned that thief:

• s/p is best for tanking
  • SB is best for kiting followed closely by p/d
  • SB has best AoE for power builds (I actually like it above the rest of the weaponsets)
  • d/d is THE bread&butter for this class, good for pure spike damage and AoE bleeding (apparently the best in game)
  • d/d is the best chase weaponset thieves have next to SB (if you do it right).
  • Doesn’t have as much condition removal as it should. During our duels he used a condition based d/d build and pretty much killed me every time. The amount of bleeds and cripple were way too much to keep up with even with maxed condition cleanse and in the end he would just down me with a facestab.
  • There are alot of traits that could use a buff. For example, 5% is so-so. With a full glass build I calced it at ~50-500 across all attacks. That just seems like a waste to use unless you are literally trying to min/max.
  • Maxed out Critical Strikes is almost mandatory for power builds.
  • Venomshare is great with a coordinated group. Otherwise don’t go so heavy into the traits and use Ambush and Thieves’ Guild.
  • The original keybinds suck. (will be tweeking them later)
  • Initiative also sucks when you run out.
  • Hard To Catch will kill you (found that out myself) and is a waste of trait space.
  • Healing power doesn’t do a kitten thing.
  • Clicking skills is a nogo period. I am having WAY more control using skills with one hand and controlling movement and camera with the other.

But most importantly…

• Most of what other players are saying about thieves is misinformed (intentionally or not) or just plain ignorant.

So again, I feel sorry for you guys. Coming from a fresh newbie, everything that is happening to this community is complete bull and I hope it stops in the future.

Sincerely,
yolo

P.S. Also a special thanks to Red Spectrum and Zacchary for teaching me how thieves work. Never knew I would learn so much so quickly until they offered helped.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

how funny he didnt mention the unlimited stealth……although he did mention that they have the best damage in the game….so hes not completly off

but no overpowered death machine describes the theif pretty well….

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

I never said best damage. The only thing I found thief was best at besides the blatantly obvious was AoE Bleeding. Everything I listed was in comparison to the thief’s other weapon sets and not other professions.

Liaison for [Teef]

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: girien.1209

girien.1209

Repeat with me:

Permastealth in sPVP its a CRAP.

Thief has the best BURST in the game (warriors deals more dmg). And don’t forget, thief have 10k base hp. Against 18k Warrior HP.

If you are talking about WvW, WvW isn’t balanced, if u want balanced plays try sPvP or chess. But if you die against a 30SA permastealth build:

-That build its a trolling build, totally useless, and if u die its because you play his game, just go away (i play a s/d thief, and i totally ignore permastealths thief’s and they can’t kill me, with 15k HP and 917 To. If you engage with him you gonna lose. Same with PU mesmers (more annoying, they only sits in stealth while the clones do the job)
-Or if u dead instadeleted, probably you are running a full zerker build with no stunbreaks. So the problem its yours.

Main: Thief
Alter: Thief, Thief, Thief, Thief, and… Wait for it… Thief

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

how funny he didnt mention the unlimited stealth……although he did mention that they have the best damage in the game….so hes not completly off

but no overpowered death machine describes the theif pretty well….

Let’s approach it this way, how hard would you prefer thieves to hit?
And we don’t have perma stealth anymore
EDIT: I forgot my manners, you’re welcome swaggy you little criminal you

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

(edited by RedSpectrum.1975)

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Anzu.5702

Anzu.5702

It depends in which aspect of the game. Thiefs are gods in wvw (in stealth builds) thanks to lots of stealth and ability to disengage and re-engage. Stealth is a bit over the top in this game but that is what they were built for. In other aspects of the game they’re ok but do struggle a bit.

But a thief by itself is ok. The only time I dont personally like thiefs when in a 1vX and a thief comes and ruins or lots of thiefs >_>

Xarvacious: Guardian | Xarvo: Engineer | Achiles Augustus: Warrior
[HIRE]
TC

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Queen Kiearha.9873

Queen Kiearha.9873

Thief is the only class I play even though I have all classes at lvl
80 with gear. I find it fits my play style the best. But after this patch
we r screwed hard, why u ask? Because our back stabs have been destroyed
by Anet. We use fast attacks and kill quick to survive because we r so
squishy. But since our back stabs have drop 2 to 3k less damage it’s
upsetting. Now thiefs back stab and instead of our foe running for
their live now that turn around laugh the crush us.
I never lost to a gaurdianbefore, Never! Now in the last 2 days guards
Murder us all classes do. Anet hates thieves

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

:( I didn’t want this thread to turn into another thief/anti-thief thread.

Liaison for [Teef]

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

:( I didn’t want this thread to turn into another thief/anti-thief thread.

Welcome to being a thief!

Glad you’re enjoying it at least.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

You guys made yolo cry, congrats. Now I’m having a philosophical debate as to whether or not thieves are dark because of what we do….or because of what others do to us

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Best advice to people who don’t like/understand any profession (including thief), play them for a while and you will learn how to deal with them in a fight.

Playing a thief, and dueling thieves, has caused me to be pretty good against thieves. Heck, sometimes I can even anticipate where they go while stealthed and get them into down state

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Ryota.8539

Ryota.8539

when you say “d/d is the best chase weaponset” do you mean it’s the best for chasing other players running away ? if so i disagree, i played DD since the game first came out, then about 6 months ago switched to D/P, imo this is far superior for chasing other players who are trying to leg it!

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

Maybe. What I was told was that d/d > d/p because it was not as “initiative heavy” as d/p and the entire set was “overall better than the other weaponsets”. However, I might test this with him later on tonight.

Liaison for [Teef]

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

Maybe. What I was told was that d/d > d/p because it was not as “initiative heavy” as d/p and the entire set was “overall better than the other weaponsets”. However, I might test this with him later on tonight.

Well DP is better solo and I’d say better at chasing due to shadow shot, but DD is…. Better damage wise and if there are things to freely stealth off of, but yes I agree DP is ini hungry

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Ryota.8539

Ryota.8539

true it does burn initiative, but i still prefer it, easier to stealth as well, don’t need something to cnd off, can just use skill 5, and do 2-3 heart seekers, bang 3-5 seconds of stealth, can always use the initiative Regen signet, also works as another shadowstep, maybe give something like this a go http://intothemists.com/guides/307-daggerpistol_backstab_by_rand_x_al_thor it’s what i use pretty much for WvWvW. or for sPVP been using this, not sure if its any good post patch but still works well for me http://intothemists.com/guides/2389-2014_current_meta_thief_build

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

Welcome to the ranks!

Anytime anyone complains about your class, just point them out that you are a thief, not and assassin/rogue/whatever. That you have no honor apart from your own principles. That you are not obliged to anyone and anything.
And the only thing they are losing to when they face you are their own delusions.

Do make sure they are downed or dead before attempting the conversation though.
Don’t forget to screenshot replies and post them here.

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Yes… welcome to the thief….

Enjoy the sweet, delicious, tears on the forums….

Here’s a useful picture to use on the forums.

Attachments:

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Dear Thief Community,

in Thief

Posted by: Splatter Paw.7238

Splatter Paw.7238

YAY! welcome to the ranks yolo! Fun class, just started playing around with condition builds after a year straight as power. Have fun, were not liked much so you dont need to fight fair our AA is cheezy dont ya know?