Death Blossom should scale better with power

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfbrand.6523

Wolfbrand.6523

This way it would be a viable AOE ability for direct damage builds.

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

honestly D/D and P/P both are oddballs in the general thief weapon sets. for opposite reasons.

D/D all power based skills except deathblossom…why?!

P/P a bleed autoattack and a power scaling main damage ability…why?!

just dumb imo

in Thief

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

I generally agree with Wolfe on that one, though I want to toss a side of blame onto the nature of condition damage, as a stat. This wouldn’t be such a dilemma, if conditions weren’t so needy in terms of investment.

You give up universally useful stats (Pow, Pre, Vit and Tou) for a stat with a fairly niche benefit. Investing in conditions ends up meaning that your non-condition, non-utility attacks suffer, and so you simply do not use them. You end up building completely around the stat, so as not to feel like you’re wasting your gearing resources.

Add on things like condition stacking limits, and it’s no surprise that many players are turning to power/crit, even on what were thought of as condition weapons (warrior sword and mesmer staff come to mind as examples).

in Thief

Posted by: Demented Lemur.7861

Demented Lemur.7861

I like death blossom to stay the way it is it a great AOE bleed and has cripples and poison to support it as well a a gap closer to get in close I don’t consider it really needs any fixing that’s like saying I think that a back stab should have more conditions and less power just cause a skill doesn’t work for your build doesn’t mean its broken

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

I like death blossom to stay the way it is it a great AOE bleed and has cripples and poison to support it as well a a gap closer to get in close I don’t consider it really needs any fixing that’s like saying I think that a back stab should have more conditions and less power just cause a skill doesn’t work for your build doesn’t mean its broken

i read this as…i like deathblossom so i want to keep D/D as a incomplete set for my own benefits.

i know thats probably not it…but thats what it sounds like.

your last line is also completly rediculous simply because of the inherent nature of thieves weapon sets and there mechanics.

other classes, you dont see them using much in terms of condition weapon sets if they are focusing on power, and vice versa.

why do thiefs have to be the ones who are unfocused and weaker for it? because some people like deathblossom? please, make it scale with power and be done with it.

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

I don’t even know – from having rarely tried it. What kind of damage do you get out of a death blossom (all hits included) in a full zerker build?

Also, I sort of agree with the premise here, but I think the fix is not to make deathblossom more damaging, but to fix its evade – that is make it evade for a bigger portion of the animation. As it stands, it seems like it makes you safer, but in fact it locks you in a predictable location and leaves you a sitting duck for half a second. Vs a competent player, it is more of a liability than a safety-net. For a backstab focused d/d build, it should be a primarily defensive move, as well as a way to do some aoe damage. Having it be cheaper than CnD is a start in this direction, fixing the evade would be the next part.

in Thief

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I just wish Death Blossom’s evasion activated more quickly and it didn’t send you barreling off in a seemingly random direction. I think it’s ok for the damage to be low if it weren’t so much strictly worse than a dodge roll.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Thief

Posted by: DarkEagleFive.4825

DarkEagleFive.4825

As a condition thief I absolutely love DD and DeathBlossom the way it is. DD-Auto attack gives poison +(trait based) weakness for longer duration. More initiative keeps me spamming bleedings as an AoE-field. Additionally it utilizes strong evasion mechanics to stay near your enemies without being damaged too hard. Since the last update it is possible to stack 25 bleeds through death blossom and caltrops. AND heartseeker does deal a huge amount of damage in spite of my condition build.

Of course Death Blossom could deal more damage (thats always nice ) but in my opinion it is strong enough the way it is.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s useless on noncond builds, so yes I wish it scaled better with power. The lack of weapon variety causes them to cram too much diff stuff into one weapon w/o making it universal for all builds so every build ends up with a few useless weapon skills.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: Prodicus.6149

Prodicus.6149

It’s useless on noncond builds, so yes I wish it scaled better with power. The lack of weapon variety causes them to cram too much diff stuff into one weapon w/o making it universal for all builds so every build ends up with a few useless weapon skills.

Personally, I think the best way to address this would be to offer something in the Power (preferably) or Precision line that turns X% of power into condition damage. It would need to be pretty far down the line so that you can’t easily spec into it with a full condition damage spec, but this would help the scaling issues. And it would make you feel like you weren’t wasting your D/D 3 slot if you were specced for direct damage.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

yeah. d/d 3 DB only does like 1500 dmg total i think right for a zerk build. right about there i think? maybe 2k on an extreme high if u hit all 3 perfect crits? but all 3 dont hap[pen alot.

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I liked Death Blossom more the way it was in Guild Wars 1. A shame that awesome skill got such poor treatment.

I for sure would not cry at all if it became again a pure power spike AoE damage skill and lose the evasion it has.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I liked Death Blossom more the way it was in Guild Wars 1. A shame that awesome skill got such poor treatment.

I for sure would not cry at all if it became again a pure power spike AoE damage skill and lose the evasion it has.

I like it as it is. If they made variants, putting a high damage/low condition replacement would be nice.

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

My complaint with the skill is that the evade window does not synch up with the skill usage well, so it it difficult to time evades with it.

The damage on the skill is reasonable even for circlezerkers. Obviously you don’t want to spam it like crazy without condition damage, but if the evade was reliable that evasion + displacement + AoE damage is more than worth the costs of the skill.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

My complaint with the skill is that the evade window does not synch up with the skill usage well, so it it difficult to time evades with it.

The damage on the skill is reasonable even for circlezerkers. Obviously you don’t want to spam it like crazy without condition damage, but if the evade was reliable that evasion + displacement + AoE damage is more than worth the costs of the skill.

ive been saying this!!!! youa re soo right. the eavde time is too short. especially on DB.
this is what they should do: make stealth skills nonstackable and make all thief evades 1 second long….or atleast as long as the skill takes. 1/4 sec evade on 1.2seconds of death blossom is a risky skill. it doesnt help much…u take more dmg free than you avoid. ur better off staying back or using a real dmging skill if ur gonna take dmg anyway.