in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Fixing the forum.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Yo, how are you landing the traps on moving targets with the delay? Or are you laying the trap and kiting someone to hit it prior to your weapon burst.

DX nailed it. I start Skale Venom, Needle Trap, Steal, Dodge (for Lotus) and then Shadow Strike. If they clear or pop Resist, wait 25s and take another run. Basically dump 4 stacks Bleed, 7 stacks Torment, 5 stacks Confusion, 5 stacks Poison, Vulnerability, Immobilize, Weakness, Cripple.

A good chunk of it is unblockable. I can also stay outside of melee range most of a fight. It is stupid good DPS even against solid condi clear builds because just getting that load off will often cost a player 5k plus. Even better most classes don’t have a clear so they end up knocking off the non-damaging cover condi leaving that 5 stacks of confusion and a couple others untouched.

Chasing the build makes the situation worse since poison fields, more traps/venom, more Lotus is just sitting there waiting for application. If they get close, poof the build is gone since it has a ton of initiative left.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Xtinct.7031

Xtinct.7031

yea, im gonna need to see vid of this combo done one someone actually “on the run” cus precasting needle trap and stealing to someone in motion is not the same since the added activation delay.
I believe that you land it, but only on players that remain motionless for atleast over 1 sec after they notice you stole to them.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Xtinct.7031

I have been playing with a Venom/Trap build with high stealth and it is nuking most players right now. The ability to condi up a player passively is very strong and unblockable. Its rotational condi is stronger than Ghost Thief as well. Not as annoying to fight against but more deadly.

Yo, how are you landing the traps on moving targets with the delay? Or are you laying the trap and kiting someone to hit it prior to your weapon burst.

Use teleports during the trap-laying animation. Shortbow 5 at max distance can also be used since the projectile has a flight time and the trap can be casted during the arrow’s flight and laid on impact (which has no animation since the arrow has already been shot), which if it’s on a player, will trigger the trap. Then kite using P/D’s powerful disengage via Shadow Strike, etc.

yea man, that is how it used to work before the activation delay. Now, 1 sec must pass after the trap has been layed down for it to trigger. So even at a max range SB 5, 1 sec still must pass after you reach your target. Thus making it unlikely for you to have the trap instantly land and activate at location of the target’s feet, unless you teleport ahead and plus 1 sec of the moving enemies path….that is the only way I can see it working.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I have been trying again and switching up the timing from what I was used to. I do use trapper runes with p/d so it a matter of getting that port timed correctly wherein you either drop the trap just as it triggers (thus revealing you) or you do a instant port and trap preload, arrive stealthed, do your sneak attack and port away with shadowstrike. The trap should trigger just as you do your port and you should have had enough stealth to allow that sneak attack before that trap triggered.

Its getting better. The trap direct in combat does not work as well.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

I have been playing with a Venom/Trap build with high stealth and it is nuking most players right now. The ability to condi up a player passively is very strong and unblockable. Its rotational condi is stronger than Ghost Thief as well. Not as annoying to fight against but more deadly.

Use teleports during the trap-laying animation. Shortbow 5 at max distance can also be used since the projectile has a flight time and the trap can be casted during the arrow’s flight and laid on impact (which has no animation since the arrow has already been shot), which if it’s on a player, will trigger the trap. Then kite using P/D’s powerful disengage via Shadow Strike, etc.

yea man, that is how it used to work before the activation delay. Now, 1 sec must pass after the trap has been layed down for it to trigger. So even at a max range SB 5, 1 sec still must pass after you reach your target. Thus making it unlikely for you to have the trap instantly land and activate at location of the target’s feet, unless you teleport ahead and plus 1 sec of the moving enemies path….that is the only way I can see it working.

Forgot that they made this change. Still likely doable given it at least plants at their feet and you can likely kite them into it without much issue.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Steal / drop trap and wait half a second. Burst attack and hope they don’t dodge immediately so the trap finishes arming. Wait too long and you won’t get a stealth attack.

The traps might work better on D//D build that stealths, traps, then starts a DB rotation. That way losing stealth doesn’t matter and you mainly just use it to lay the trap down. Still not as effective as it used to be with arming time.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Saw someone try a “ghost thief” today. I actually didnt see any trap delay (I did see them drop it and it triggered right away on me). Been seeing a ton of “perma evade condi teefs” lately gross right?

Meanwhile im sticking to my “ow it hurts now they ded” build. A friend moved to the perma evade and he stated (was funny actually) that he feels dirty and noobish.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

A friend moved to the perma evade and he stated (was funny actually) that he feels dirty and noobish.

So it’s working as intended given the design of the Daredevil. At least until someone solos a raid.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

A friend moved to the perma evade and he stated (was funny actually) that he feels dirty and noobish.

So it’s working as intended given the design of the Daredevil. At least until someone solos a raid.

I tried it myself (to learn its evade frames as I have been seeing so many lately…especially in BG) and I even felt gross. Major counter is ranged pressure tho but get one in a team fight and watch everyone drop, kinda reminds me of someone playing meta zerkers.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

And it’s not that it’s intrinsically overpowered so much as it is anti-fun.
There’s a reason the PvP community in this game shrunk so much after HoT. Elites like the Daredevil simply aren’t as fun to play as or against for a majority of competitive-minded players. Most people do so out of necessity rather than personal preference.

The design is poor. It’s that simple.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

It’s not OP especiallys since all the punish frames are highlighted by either glowing blue or not onnall staff evade attacks……

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Xtinct.7031

Saw someone try a “ghost thief” today. I actually didnt see any trap delay (I did see them drop it and it triggered right away on me). Been seeing a ton of “perma evade condi teefs” lately gross right?

Meanwhile im sticking to my “ow it hurts now they ded” build. A friend moved to the perma evade and he stated (was funny actually) that he feels dirty and noobish.

ur couldnt be more right, everyone and there mom running d/d lotus acro in t1/t2. Anet needs to require 1-2 more ini to be used on death blossom in order to stop that madness.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

ur couldnt be more right, everyone and there mom running d/d lotus acro in t1/t2. Anet needs to require 1-2 more ini to be used on death blossom in order to stop that madness.

Sad when people need to run to a “press 1 button and spam dodge” build instead of an actual skilled one. I got ganked by a group of 3 of these and couldn’t figure out their evade frames so I played 1 for a week (broke down the gear after) and i rekt soooooo many ppl (esp trapper DH’s which admittingly was kinda fun). My friend was right tho….did feel gross but got boring so I fail to see why anyone sticks to it. I did learn the evade frames, however haven’t seen as many of them lately to really test. The trick is to kite as much init out of them as blossom only has so much “leap” range. Once they are out of init and CD’s on init regenerating utilities, they have nothing (also if they miss their Steal that will hurt them).

Kinda reminds me of GT in the way its more of an “i can’t teef right so I will play this instead”….reminds me of the meta berserker players,lol.

Death of Ghost Thief

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Nothing has to be DONE about the DB build. It is a rather weak build with a low top end and easily countered through its predictability and one dimensional nature.

What bothers me most is everytime one of these types of builds comes around (which happens across every class) the purity police decide “something must be done” . It rather ironic given in complaining about its lack of skill , all that is needed is a bit of the same to beat it.

I have not seen one of these in WvW for months. It is not a problem. Kill it and people stop playing it.