Deception, Distraction and Destruction.

in Thief

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

Hello all! Just wanted to get a post going that can include some nifty tricks and tips for our wonderful community!

I noticed that hardly any boards have any stickies aside from the ones that were there when I started playing (right after release). Being an adamant thief player, I thought we might try and get something useful stickied here.

I am one person, and I am certainly not the best thief. I will try and put in things I can think of, and I hope that the rest of the thief community can help as well. I know a bunch of names around here that I am sure would just love to hop on in and throw some secrets and spoilers of the trade, so please do! All that said, let’s get down to what the thief can do!

General tricks!

Stomping downed players:

-Begin stomp, shadowstep away during stomp, shadow return right before completion.
if you aren’t obviously on top of a lot of people trying to stomp, they don’t know they’re being stomped.

-CnD>stomp. works well, and with trait points to increase time in stealth, you’ll pop out of stealth right after a flagpole appears in their head.

-Ever (finally) downed an ele, just to begin a stomp(stealth or not) and the bugger turns into a vaporous cloud of broken limbs and floats a few hundred yards to the left?
Begin stomp>(ele, thief, even mesmer – but you have to be quick targetting in mesmer’s case – generally lucky mouse location when they reappear – used their downed #2 skill to move out from under the stomp)>Steal when they stop moving(mesmer’s case; reacquired target) before the stomp finishes and you shadowstep/finish the stomp.
So: Begin stomp>steal once target’s #2 downed skill used up midstomp>completed stomp.

Signet of shadows. You forgot to unequip it before engaging didn’t you? Nah, it’s legit. This one is really dandy for guardians with their aoe push from their downed state. Just pop the signet before they pop their aoe. A blind push, is a missed push, some clear it with an autoattack, but that’s the effectiveness of timing.

Sword tricks!

-Infiltrator’s Strike doesn’t require a target! You can lay your cirlce down with no
target and you have ~14 seconds to utilize shadow return.

-You can use Infiltrator’s Strike with an enemy target out of range to shadowstep 600 units in their direction! This combined with steal (900 range, 1200 range traited for ‘long reach’ in trickery) can net you 1500-1800 range gap closer (and you’ll still have shadow return available, and even well past that distance, it will return you). (please note to get the full distance, infiltrator’s strike must put you in your respective steal range, otherwise steal will gain a 4s cooldown and you’ll just stand there)

-Pistol Whip (s/p#3) is a stationary attack with a small stun and evade component. Most players will move out of pistol whip range right after the stun fades (because it supposedly hurts them, go figure). Once they get right to the edge of it’s range you can steal mid-pistolwhip and land the rest of the chain on them.

-Infiltrator’s Strike seems to have a height barrier. Don’t expect to make your circle atop a keep, jump down and then shadow return when things get sticky!

Shadow return doesn’t have a height barrier. The general rule of thumb for all the teleportation skills is this: if you can get to the area (even if it’s on the z-axis) WITHOUT having to jump, you should be able to teleport on to it as well. This arises due to high the pathing is on the maps. However, there are some areas that have their pathing intentionally blocked – keeps, enemy base on foefire etc.

-Thanks Rome!

-Flanking strike has two hits for it to land. The first one will remove a boon, and is unblockable – on demand boon removal is not bad. The second strike is blockable, and affected by your odd pathing (though the evade built into the skill lines up with it’s animation nicely, as opposed to some other dual skill evades) when chilled/crippled or with swiftness. It’s a hard hit if both land.

Don’t underestimate the power of Infiltrator’s strike. If your circle is down away from you and your victim’s, erm, pursuers, drop a shadow refuge on yourself and shadow return out as soon as you see that temporal curtain, or feel they aren’t crowding where your circle was. Most will be too busy trying to pull you out of the refuge, or trying to blow it and the surrounding area up.

I love a dagger, and would go on about those for another 15 minutes, but I am about out of time for now, and want to see what other great things other people can contribute!

Attachments:

(edited by Selver.1307)

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Wah, don’t tell them our secrets! Now most of these tricks won’t be of any use in a month or so =(
Well whatever, I allways love to distract my enemies with empty shadow refuges, while running in the opposite direction.
And nothing is more stylish than a teleport finisher! I often end up using Shadowstep while finishing an enemy up just for the look of it….^^

in Thief

Selver.1307

If most people haven’t seen our secrets they’ve not been smashed by enough good thieves.

“How did you teleport so far? No way you could cover that much ground!”

“Come back and I’ll do it again.”

“Hacker.”

Shortbow -

Shortbow #5 has a blind in an aoe around where you appear after using it. A lot of people don’t even realize this because it’s their escape tool. This will also come into play saving people stomping friends, or ()ensuring a stomp (like signet of shadows). Just teleport onto who you want to stomp.
(
)

I’ve tried to blind the spike, several times, and finally someone said blind doesn’t stop the pole. Thank goodness the spike went through a teammate and not me. Well, not THAT thankful. The teammate sure wasn’t. Er. So my own conclusion is ya can’t blind the guy stomping.

But you can blind the guy on the ground to make a last ditch save self move whiffy miss.

-Thanks WyldKat!

Shortbow#3 is an evade, it’s one of our longer skill evades and adds a cripple to the enemy while throwing you backwards from the direction you are facing. Using this can nullify another thief trying to daggerstorm your projectiles (if you want to not switch out yet), and keep you out of his range.

Shortbow#2 Clusterbomb will ruin almost anyone in Shadow Refuge’s day. Most thieves will drop shadow refuge as a defensive measure to escape. If you are close enough to it when you see one just run in it and spam CB. You know they have to be in it for 4 seconds. They know they have to be in it for 4 seconds. Why not drop bombs on their face? If you can get a gas (#4) off beforehand, even better (you know we like to heal up in stealth with some specs).

Shortbow#4 (Choking Gas) will not break stealth.

Again all I have time for for now. Hopefully some people will chime in!

(edited by Selver.1307)

in Thief

Posted by: Elmuerto.9840

Elmuerto.9840

Nice thread, I used Shadowstep, infiltrators strike, PW, Steal Combo for ages in WvW allowing me to attack over huge distances instantly – plus two shadow returns if required. I play exclusively sPvP atm and there’s just not really the space for this nice chain.

in Thief

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Shortbow #5 has a blind in an aoe around where you appear after using it. A lot of people don’t even realize this because it’s their escape tool. This will also come into play saving people stomping friends, or ensuring a stomp (like signet of shadows). Just teleport onto who you want to stomp/save from getting stomped.

I’m pretty sure Blind has no effect on someone performing a stomp. But this is good for getting to someone, blinding their downed self, and getting your stomp on. Their stomp on. Your stomping on their stomped. You know what I mean, I hope.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Wah, don’t tell them our secrets! Now most of these tricks won’t be of any use in a month or so =(
Well whatever, I allways love to distract my enemies with empty shadow refuges, while running in the opposite direction.
And nothing is more stylish than a teleport finisher! I often end up using Shadowstep while finishing an enemy up just for the look of it….^^

Makes me giggle like a little girl whenever I use shadow refuge on a roamer just to scare the kitten out of him (while staying stealthed using blackpowder/clusterbomb combo).

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Selver.1307

Edited because I is a dummy. I love you guys!

Attachments:

(edited by Selver.1307)

in Thief

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I’ve tried to blind the spike, several times, and finally someone said blind doesn’t stop the pole. Thank goodness the spike went through a teammate and not me. Well, not THAT thankful. The teammate sure wasn’t. Er. So my own conclusion is ya can’t blind the guy stomping.

But you can blind the guy on the ground to make a last ditch save self move whiffy miss.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Selver.1307

Looking at sigs, seems a lot of vocal thieves are in t2(wvwvw). You guys are great fun to fight with/against. Keep up the fun guys

in Thief

Posted by: Rome.3192

Rome.3192

Shadow return doesn’t have a height barrier. The general rule of thumb for all the teleportation skills is this: if you can get to the area (even if it’s on the z-axis) WITHOUT having to jump, you should be able to teleport on to it as well. This arises due to high the pathing is on the maps. However, there are some areas that have their pathing intentionally blocked – keeps, enemy base on foefire etc.

Thief

in Thief

Selver.1307

Nice thread, I used Shadowstep, infiltrators strike, PW, Steal Combo for ages in WvW allowing me to attack over huge distances instantly – plus two shadow returns if required. I play exclusively sPvP atm and there’s just not really the space for this nice chain.

It’s one reason I don’t spvp as much. It holds a similar problem of maps ‘always being the same’, but wvwvw has the bigger ones. I don’t wanna turn this into one of those threads though.

Yah, I feel ya though.

in Thief

Posted by: Bassman.9245

Bassman.9245

don’t forget Black Powder, smoke someone’s face before stomping and they just can’t touch you