Dev Interaction with Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

I was wondering – how much real dev interaction is there where thief is concerned? I ask for three reasons:

• thief is, most people agree, in need of a fair number of serious changes, which don’t seem to have been addressed in what could be years.
  • I had to go back 20 pages to find a thread with a dev comment on it, and said comment was a clarification, not feedback, not acknowledgement.
  • after seeing the excellent work Roy Cronacher on the revenant – the discussions going on, the feedback from both players and developers, and the general speed with which concerns are addressed, I really think this sort of thing is exactly what the profession needs.

so how much interaction do we get? and what’s the chances of getting anything like the latter point above?

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

last time a dev dared to enter the thieves den he got Backstabed.
since then they only enter in stealth and leave before they get Reveled…

in Thief

Gray.9041

last time a dev dared to enter the thieves den he got Backstabed.
since then they only enter in stealth and leave before they get Reveled…

while I appreciate the references, I’m not liking the message. we don’t get any dev attention at all?

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Revenant is getting so much attention because it’s new give it 3 years and try to say that again look at ranger lol. It’s still not 6 months post patch so I’ll wait like we usually do.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Gray.9041

Revenant is getting so much attention because it’s new give it 3 years and try to say that again look at ranger lol. It’s still not 6 months post patch so I’ll wait like we usually do.

I realise that revenant’s not in the same place, but the whole communication they’ve got going, that’s what I’d like to see more of, and I was just hoping we might get it round here.

too much to hope for?

in Thief

Sagat.3285

I realise that revenant’s not in the same place, but the whole communication they’ve got going, that’s what I’d like to see more of, and I was just hoping we might get it round here.

too much to hope for?

At beta and fresh release it was probably like that and right now they are additionally working on HoT that reminds me revenant is also part of HoT so yeah it’s too much let’s hope the patches are satisfying. They don’t have to drop by and talk it seems they read forums it’s just matters how long it takes them to understand it.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

Gray.9041

it seems they read forums it’s just matters how long it takes them to understand it.

this is silly. if you can know _exactly_ what people want by talking to them, in a standard back and forth conversation for 10 minutes, why just try and figure out (and probably misunderstand) a few comments, make changes, and then not find out until the patch hits (likely weeks, if not months, later)

it just seems like a great way of dragging everything out, if not making things worse.

in Thief

Sagat.3285

1)They don’t see the class like we do
2)The “necro theme” is preferred by them over balance
3)They are always to keep necro “in line” before action/live (hello rest of the game)
4)They overestimate DS that starts at zero LF before every match
5)Like someone mentioned necro is very different from the rest of the classes
6)They use perfect scenarios for balance

Those are the rules I used when seeing them balance necro you can adjust a few for thief especially #6. It’s a team process at least that’s what they say and it has to get accepted by superiors and it might not be high on priority. There also trolls and doom bringers(I’m partially guilty of that) that can disrupt a perfect discussion which is impossible anyway.

I believed they had a CDI about ranger and look at them lol and it seems the pet was better at release. It’s not a downhill race but you have to expect nothing and avoid disappointment even if you did some things get through. Kitten I hate what they did with SA and Acro.

The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

Gray.9041

is there nothing we can do? is there no developer out there who wants to work on the thief? who wants to get involved, and try and fix things?

in Thief

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

I think anet will start looking more into thief once they release its specialization, and then they may pay even more attention to the class once its has been release in a beta weekend hopefully sometime down the road.

It may not solve the lack of dev involvement with the thief (if that is truly the case). However it would probably be our best opportunity to at least make them aware of the other problems outside the initial problems that our specialization may or may not bring.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Obviously one problem with the introduction of the Specialization line is how it will match up with other traitlines. There are issues with ACRO and SA in particular and a few weaponsets and utilities that need a look at and the danger is that if the SPEC is what we all HOPE it will be the other traitlines will pale in comparison.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Obviously one problem with the introduction of the Specialization line is how it will match up with other traitlines. There are issues with ACRO and SA in particular and a few weaponsets and utilities that need a look at and the danger is that if the SPEC is what we all HOPE it will be the other traitlines will pale in comparison.

Actually I hope it’s just on par with DA, CS, and TR. We don’t need any more necessary/obvious lines (looking at you DA/Tr). That said it needs to actually be on par, so I agree with the sentiment overall.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodyx.5946

Bloodyx.5946

I was wondering – how much real dev interaction is there where thief is concerned? I ask for three reasons:

• thief is, most people agree, in need of a fair number of serious changes, which don’t seem to have been addressed in what could be years.
  • I had to go back 20 pages to find a thread with a dev comment on it, and said comment was a clarification, not feedback, not acknowledgement.
  • after seeing the excellent work Roy Cronacher on the revenant – the discussions going on, the feedback from both players and developers, and the general speed with which concerns are addressed, I really think this sort of thing is exactly what the profession needs.

so how much interaction do we get? and what’s the chances of getting anything like the latter point above?

+1

this thread needs to be joined extremely quickly by the devs (i know they wont)
but thief is basically a handicapped mesmer/warrior/revenant.

I hope we get some attention, but we haven’t gotten any help in years. i am just waiting to see this specialization… rifle or staff… both seem terrible

in Thief

Posted by: Driften.8716

Driften.8716

I wouldn’t hold your breath on a response. I have played many MMOs over the years and no one knows how to balance a rogue/thief/assassin. Every time someone gets close some other main stream class cries foul and the class is set back. Being this no game dev wants to tarnish there name with this challenge. If they do it could be a 80% career suicide.

Being that I have been to the Revenent board and the Mesmer and see interactions and responses from the devs. In my personal opinion 70% of devs want nothing to do with our profession, the other 30% are too scared.

The one thing I loved about Rift was the fact for a while they actually had Devs that got on the forums/website and said who they were with BIOs and all saying they were here working for you and your class of choice. It would be awesome if someone at Anet stepped forward and said “Hey, my name is (fill in blank) and I am here to make sure the thief is heard, playable and well balanced. Please voice your concerns.”

I still play a thief, I do not agree with everything people are posting on the forums as most people only post when there unhappy. However I will agree the Thief needs some major work and the last patch only messed things up more. All we are asking is that the devs spend enough time and effort on the thief as they do the other classes. You would think this would not be a problem as they are being paid to do it.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

The last time I remember them coming to this board and talking with us (back and forth) was a long time ago during a balance patch preview when they were going to be nerfing the vigor duration of vigorous recovery and bountiful theft. While they didn’t change the nerf, they eventually nerfed vigor on crit on mesmers and guards to 50% uptime rather than 100%. I think our forum just isn’t very dev friendly because we basically jump down their throats about not getting the incoming nerfs.

Here

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Gray.9041

so the last time we spoke to them, they discussed splitting 1 skill into 2 parts, which – to my knowledge – didn’t happen?

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I’ve noticed over time that rogue classes in MMOs consistently receive a lack of developer attention. Unfortunately, it seems that the unwashed masses consider the rogue archetype infuriating to play against—even when stealth is as thoroughly limited and controlled as it is in GW2—and developers tend to prioritize those people’s satisfaction over that of those playing the actual class.

It’s really rather unfortunate, especially when you can’t even get attention on bugs that’ve been known about for months/years (let alone new skills or revamps).

The Thief Elite Specialization reveal is coming up in the foreseeable future, though. While they’ll presumably be focusing on feedback about the spec, I think it would be a good time to get all the general purpose Thief feedback in—ESPECIALLY if it involves low impact, low resource-intensive changes like fixes for known bugs.

in Thief

Posted by: KatanaPunk.1286

KatanaPunk.1286

Did you see how many dev´s replies on thief forum exist?

Me neither