Do Racial Abilities Matter?

in Thief

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Hi all,

I rolled a Sylvari because I liked the look and their background/lore was pretty interesting. But now I’m wondering if I made the wrong choice, because my racial abilities don’t seem that useful when compared to the Norn speed boost, the Human chill/poison skill, or even some of the Asura abilities.

How useful are these abilities? Do you ever find a time where it’s worth replacing a profession elite in order to use one of these racial abilities?

in Thief

Posted by: Smo.6520

Smo.6520

I’ve never used racial abilities. Ever.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

sylvari has a really nice root. other than that no. charr also has a nice pistol ability. dont wrry about it too much honestly

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

All the racial skills are garbage, and deliberately so. The only purpose they serve is to demonstrate a spectacular lack of priorities and resource management.

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

The only time I use a racial is against lupi. Take root is good as a survival ability there.

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

The rooting the sylvari can do is pretty nice for thief. I have used radiation field (Asura) on a few stationary bosses in dungeons with my condition build. It’s pretty awesome there, but haven’t used any other.

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dimittri.3245

Dimittri.3245

I think Grasping Vines is one of the most useful racial skill available in the game. I have watch to a thief video roaming in WvW ganking so hard using this skill! I think this may be useful for many classes builds such as Elementalist or Ranger.

~Sanctum of Rall~

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The only time I’ve ever seen an elite really matter was Pain Inverter in WvW before confusion was nerfed.

Hounds of Balthazaar are the best way to min/max your dps on a particular boss fight, but the cooldown usually means you have no elite for the next boss fight, lol.

in Thief

Posted by: maladikt.2180

maladikt.2180

Don’t worry about it, racial skills are there just for the fluff factor. Most of them are either useless or have a better counterpart in a profession specific skill which has a lower cooldown or better effects. Or both.

in Thief

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

I’ve never used racial abilities. Ever.

This ^^

And not just on a thief, but on any toon