Does Pulmonary Impact stack?

in Thief

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

Q:

Just as the title says. Does anyone know?

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

Posted by: Karl McLain

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

A:

Pulmonary Impact currently does stack in intensity. If your palm strike interrupts, you get a double-activation of Pulmonary.

in Thief

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

Not sure anyone knows. We will find out this weekend at the latest.

Pancakes
Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

It would be really OP if it did.

you only stack 4 of them and boom boom boom boom.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

It would be really OP if it did.

you only stack 4 of them and boom boom boom boom.

perhaps, but it’s stacking them that’s the trick

in Thief

supa suop.8026

perhaps, but it’s stacking them that’s the trick

One way of doing it is to have the Impacting Disruption Trait then make sure you interrupt your foe with palm strike.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

supa suop.8026

Pulmonary Impact currently does stack in intensity. If your palm strike interrupts, you get a double-activation of Pulmonary.

Ok, Thank you very much Karl

[SoS] PvX Thief,
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

Can you dodge pulmonary impact or will it interrupt your dodge like the gaurdian pull?

(edited by Gabriell.4856)

in Thief

supa suop.8026

Can you dodge pulmonary impact or will it interrupt your dodge like the gaurdian pull?

I don’t think that the pulmonary impact itself CCs , but its still a good question to ask because it would be good to know if you can dodge the damage from it or not

[SoS] PvX Thief,
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

Previous

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

Once Pulmonary is on your target, it will ignore blind, evade, block, even range. The ways to really not take the hit will be through invulnerability, damage inversion (ala Defiant Stance), or damage reduction (protection, Endure Pain).
You could technically land a Pulmonary and if you’re quick enough, activate Basilisk Venom for an unblockable/evadeable stun when it pops… Or use your dodge with Evasive Empowerment to increase the damage.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Once Pulmonary is on your target, it will ignore blind, evade, block, even range. The ways to really not take the hit will be through invulnerability, damage inversion (ala Defiant Stance), or damage reduction (protection, Endure Pain).
You could technically land a Pulmonary and if you’re quick enough, activate Basilisk Venom for an unblockable/evadeable stun when it pops… Or use your dodge with Evasive Empowerment to increase the damage.

So headshot will be pretty overpowered with this trait huh?

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Two red posts on the Thief forum. Pulmonary Impact has stuck me and stacked in intensity…

in Thief

Previous

Karl McLain

Game Designer

As always, things are open to change. If this playstyle is too strong, we’ll have to adjust it. There’s a possibility that it shouldn’t stack intensity, or maybe its damage is too high, or a variety of other ways that it could be adjusted. We want it to have strong play and also feel rewarding, while not being the ‘only’ thing that you seek to do in order to deal damage. We’re looking forward to seeing how it works for you during the beta weekend.

in Thief

supa suop.8026

Thanks for the Info Karl, and keep up the good work.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

Wow It stacks …. incoming boom boom boom booms

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

As always, things are open to change. If this playstyle is too strong, we’ll have to adjust it. There’s a possibility that it shouldn’t stack intensity, or maybe its damage is too high, or a variety of other ways that it could be adjusted. We want it to have strong play and also feel rewarding, while not being the ‘only’ thing that you seek to do in order to deal damage. We’re looking forward to seeing how it works for you during the beta weekend.

Lol, no offense karl. I know you guys wanna test and all and this is just beta. But i wonder what kind of reasoning it was used for this to be even remotely a good idea. Spamming interrupts with sword/pistol thief will make shatter mesmer burst right now look like a puppy compared to godzilla It has over 2000+ base for lord sake.

I can’t wait to break pvp this weekend.

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

in Thief

Posted by: IDICERI.4268

IDICERI.4268

kitten imagine if pulmonary impact finished of your foe and they would be left in a puddle of blood. The death animations I would pay for.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
Einstein

in Thief

Posted by: Maja.6372

Maja.6372

sorry but thief is already killing everyone in under 2 seconds from stealth when will we see a limit of crit dmg e.g. no crit should hit for more than 4k and no autoattack for more than 1k so we can actually fight and not be at half health in just under 1 second from start of fight ? and no I am not talking about cases where you are glass canon then its only one second I am talking about having 3k toughness and still getting hit by 8k crits … and please add an ingame report option to report overpowered highdmg builds

(edited by Maja.6372)

in Thief

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

sorry but thief is already killing everyone in under 2 seconds from stealth when will we see a limit of crit dmg e.g. no crit should hit for more than 4k and no autoattack for more than 1k so we can actually fight and not be at half health in just under 1 second from start of fight ? and no I am not talking about cases where you are glass canon then its only one second I am talking about having 3k toughness and still getting hit by 8k crits … and please add an ingame report option to report overpowered highdmg builds

Not sure if you’re trolling but sounds like you need to learn to play against thieves. Also I’ve heard toughness is not as effective post patch either way stop trying to face-tank damage, make the thief’s job harder by aoe-ing and moving around.

in Thief

Posted by: Pukc.6328

Pukc.6328

If you do decide change it instead of removing its ability to stack or reducing its damage, limit the number of stacks. Maybe 3 which I think would be around 7k. But please don’t change it. o.o

in Thief

Posted by: Waterseer.7089

Waterseer.7089

If you do decide change it instead of removing its ability to stack or reducing its damage, limit the number of stacks. Maybe 3 which I think would be around 7k. But please don’t change it. o.o

Or perhaps making successive PI strikes do less damage within a set amount of time.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Personally, I’d like to see a split. If Pulmonary Impact itself is nerfed, then Palm Strike is also nerfed and it takes up a utility slot, so it’s not fair on Palm Strike, especially when you need to land Fist Flurry.

I’d give Palm Strike its own version of Pulmonary Impact that is able to critically hit (with a fairly reduced base damage), and the traited version remain uncrittable with lower base damage.

My main concern is making Palm Strike rewarding to land. I suppose the flip side would be to make Palm Strike easier to land, which would mean speeding up Fist Flurry’s cast time, but I think that’s boring.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Thanks for the response

But all I can say is S/P meta will be strong
S/P Engagement:HeadShot> Black Powder>Bounding Dodge>Proc bassi venom within Stealth>Tactical strike> 2nd rotation: Black Powder> Bounding dodge> Steal+Tactical strike. By then your initiative pool would already be ready for another black powder dodge. So S/P new D/P.

But people need to remember it still does root you, so it’s not all that great.

But will the evades from pistol whip cleanse the 1 condi with escapist absolutionist Karl?

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

If 4 init for 2k damage is OP then I dunno wtf to tell ya

in Thief

Posted by: IDICERI.4268

IDICERI.4268

Where is this coming from? Is this spvp or WvW?

I had to read some of your previous post to understand where you are coming from. You seem to be a WvW player which is unbalanced as hell. Structured pvp which is somewhat more balanced around skill the thief only becomes viable around the top pvp teams which have a lot of coordination among themselves. Otherwise the thief is just a standard decap +1. An analogy of this would be like a pencil with an eraser(the thief being the eraser). They’re convenient but you don’t really need them if you’re careful.

Also, you’re writing about the wrong thing in the wrong thread. Pulmonary Impact is the topic here and it doesn’t crit. I don’t know where you going on about random crits and auto attacks but it seems like you’re really confused.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
Einstein

(edited by IDICERI.4268)

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Was just thinking. Trait improve for that double steal from a necro. You can now chain two fears that affect multiple enemy players with pulmonary impact being loaded up.

in Thief

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

Remember guys that PI-Trait only triggers if you INTERRUPT something. Spamming Headshot 5 times does not mean that every single shot interrupted something. So it is not Daze = PI it is INTERRUPT = PI

in Thief

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Mrrrr Distracting Daggers + Pulmonary Impact upon interrupt. Very like, much excite

“your heart will explode”

in Thief

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

Remember guys that PI-Trait only triggers if you INTERRUPT something. Spamming Headshot 5 times does not mean that every single shot interrupted something. So it is not Daze = PI it is INTERRUPT = PI

Yep, its like the new Feline grace, you have to successful evade or interrupt to gain benefits (which a lot of classes haven´t as a condition for their traits…), i think feline grace should have been 25% endurance gain on successful dodge but whatever. Of course there has to be some changings on numbers etc, nothing is perfect from the beginning, but please without making something usefull completely useless (acrobatic “cough”).
Lets see how a PvP build could possibly look like (in conclusion to the current meta):
D/P Daredevil on interrupt

I think every average pvp-player knows what the problm is, right? condiremove…
You have to sacrifice impacting disruption for a condiremove where you have to hope getting attacked while evading, otherwise there isn´t any condiremove. You could take trickster and flanking strike instead of course, but I wouldn´t consider it enough and loosing bountiful theft is huge. Generally you loose a lot when going for daredevil.
Lyssa-rune could be an option, but is very lackluster as well (was such a nice rune once >_<).

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

in Thief

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

Yep, its like the new Feline grace, you have to successful evade or interrupt to gain benefits (which a lot of classes haven´t as a condition for their traits…), i think feline grace should have been 25% endurance gain on successful dodge but whatever. Of course there has to be some changings on numbers etc, nothing is perfect from the beginning, but please without making something usefull completely useless (acrobatic “cough”).
Lets see how a PvP build could possibly look like (in conclusion to the current meta):
D/P Daredevil on interrupt

I think every average pvp-player knows what the problm is, right? condiremove…
You have to sacrifice impacting disruption for a condiremove where you have to hope getting attacked while evading, otherwise there isn´t any condiremove. You could take trickster and flanking strike instead of course, but I wouldn´t consider it enough and loosing bountiful theft is huge. Generally you loose a lot when going for daredevil.
Lyssa-rune could be an option, but is very lackluster as well (was such a nice rune once >_<).

I am happy that we have “On Evade” and “On Interrupt” Traits. It reduces the spamming and rewards you for actually using those things at the right time. It might be unfair that some Trait are “On Evade” and others are still “On Dodge” but it is great step in the right direction that we have at least some that reward Brain over Spam

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

On interrupt traits are fine given the relative damage they do. The fact such traits do not proc all the time and require timing makes it more fun then something that procs like a Sigil of Air based purely on some random number.

There enough Interrupts in the sets so as to allow one to miss a few and still get a decent number of procs. It also leads to a bit of counterplay where en enemy player delays casting a long cast time skill hoping you burn your interrupt on something else.

I think they are fun.

in Thief

Posted by: Strategist.6132

Strategist.6132

I don’t think this will be OP even if this does increase damage. It cannot crit, which is important to notice. Headshot costs 4 initiative, aside that we have Steal / Basilisk Venom and maybe some utilities. I wouldn’t mind a cap on the amount of stacks (like 3 or so) or no stacks at all, but please do not nerf the damage. I think thief is already a bit a worse of a group fighter compared to Ele. I mean thieves are nice for capping and stuff, but in team fights it just feels like there are better alternatives right now. So I am happy if we can deal some damage:P

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

hahahahaha you just made my day.

You must be one those dishonorable losers in WvW. When a thief calls you Dishonorable, it’s not a compliment.

God Bless the devs and the BWE cause there will be blood.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

As always, things are open to change. If this playstyle is too strong, we’ll have to adjust it. There’s a possibility that it shouldn’t We’re looking forward to seeing how it works for you during the beta weekend.

How it will play is pretty simple to intuit. The Thief will spam headshot to lock down and deal impressive damage to his enemy. When his initiative is low he’ll use Palm Strike or the new daggers interrupt skill, or Basilisk Venom or stealth + Staff #1.

And because Thieves are virtually immune to interrupts you can’t punish that kind of button smashing play style. It’s like playing Mortal Kombat or Street fighter back in the day where someone could win by spamming a single button once they got you stuck.

in Thief

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

As always, things are open to change. If this playstyle is too strong, we’ll have to adjust it. There’s a possibility that it shouldn’t We’re looking forward to seeing how it works for you during the beta weekend.

How it will play is pretty simple to intuit. The Thief will spam headshot to lock down and deal impressive damage to his enemy. When his initiative is low he’ll use Palm Strike or the new daggers interrupt skill, or Basilisk Venom or stealth + Staff #1.

And because Thieves are virtually immune to interrupts you can’t punish that kind of button smashing play style. It’s like playing Mortal Kombat or Street fighter back in the day where someone could win by spamming a single button once they got you stuck.

If the thief is spamming headshot and you get killed by that you should probably look for another game. Headshot does very low damage and he has to INTERRUPT you. That is skillfull play actually… The new dagger-skill could be usefull, not sure if its better than blinding powder (with SA) of course. Using Pulmonary impact the thief probably gonna have zero condiremove outside of shadowstep (which is a very important stunbreak). Immun to interrupt und stuns?!? Wuat? A thief normally just doesn´t engages 1vs1 in pvp when stunbreakers are on cd, so he has an option to escape. Hell, you shouldn´t even engage another thief or mesmer when no stunbreak or blind powder is ready.
Have you ever played thief? If not please stay out of that conversation.
Spamming skills like headshot itself punish the thief. Its a >global< cd for our weaponskills. Swapping weaponset doesn´t give us new initiative when not traited (which no one does).

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

in Thief

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Auto attacks even if interrupted don’t get +cd. So if someone spams headsot you can AA him to deaht ;p

Also blinds, dodges, baits etc.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I’m rather impressed that you managed to mischaracterize Thieves AND fighting games simultaneously. Bravo!