Does anyone actually like Shadow Strike?

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Pistol/Dagger is a cool looking set but it feels so awkward overall. Condition build has always been the main reason to use it, but when I’m running that there’s never a time where I felt the need to use Shadow Strike.

If someone was close it was better to CnD them and Sneak Attack, which does the same DMG as it+bleed. Since condition DMG revolves around the Sneak Attack you would generally stay close to mid-range of enemy, not shadowstep away,
Body Shot lacking use makes the weapon set even worse.

Anyone ever try P/D differently or non cond, or is it just too flawed in design?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

immobilizes with spike damage incoming (provided you have a target to land it on). You aren’t always capable of being on the offensive.

P/D non condi is just as troll-esque as condi.
Instead of random bleed spikes, it’s just 1/2 unload spikes with some complimentary (43-52ish) bleeds.

(edit: with less survivability unless you put it in utilities, most condition specs are at least a little more durable than their burst counterparts)

(edit(again): I do like it.)

(edited by Selver.1307)

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Shadow strike itself is a pretty well designed skill – P/D should want to slip away and do decent direct damage for the init cost. Unfortunately, the set is currently nothing without sneak attack, which Prioritizes CnD over shadow strike 90% of the time – the only time you’re hitting shadow strike is a situation like what Selver described – you’re pinned down and have absolutely no other way to escape it other than Shadow strike.

If P/D was better designed and not so utterly reliant on stealth→Sneak attack for its DPS, shadow strike would be fine.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I like P/D but with Sneak attack as strong as it is, it’s mostly 5-1 play.
I’ve done it in berserkers way back and it was still eh, but was fun. Whether condi or power it’s mostly the same and it’s effectiveness is shoddy regardless.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

I’d love to see a bit more functionality put into it and believe it or not a tiny cast bar. In a panic situation i’ve eaten my entire initive bar because I was hitting it during a stun+root combo and while stunned it was Q’ing them up.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast