Double Backstab?

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Kibbles.9813

Kibbles.9813

Heya! Just got hit by this, and am wondering how they pulled it off:

http://i.imgur.com/BwEda.png

Both hit within the span of one second of each other, so it wasn’t re-stealthing after Revealed wore off. It was a single Thief, and to the best of my awareness using Backstab triggers the Revealed debuff, which means you can’t instantly re-stealth and re-Backstab, so how do you chain two in a row?

Thanks for the heads up!

Kynn Snagtooth [TCFM] – Tarnished Coast

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

Honestly, I have no idea how he did that. Backstab does trigger the revealed debuff… so maybe he was hacking?

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: bettadenu.5483

bettadenu.5483

Is it possible you got hit by two Thieves?

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Shady C.5041

Shady C.5041

This is a glitch that has been going on for a long time now.

I don’t know details on how to do it because I don’t want to use it myself.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Eduardo.4675

Eduardo.4675

It was a ninja patch from anet: due to many ppl complaining that thieves have very little in the way of dmg, they made the thieves guild melee thief use backstab after scorpion wire.

Adapt or die. I never die.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

It was a ninja patch from anet: due to many ppl complaining that thieves have very little in the way of dmg, they made the thieves guild melee thief use backstab after scorpion wire.

For real?

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

For real?

really? thieves guild can now actually do that?

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Kibbles.9813

Even though I can’t tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not, there was no Thieve’s Guild elite skill in use, and it would’ve read Yak’s Bend Beast as a damage source instead.

Is it possible you got hit by two Thieves?

I never saw another enemy in the field neither when the Backstab(s) hit, nor when I was running away a few seconds later. I’m fairly certain both hits were from the same player.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Eduardo.4675

Eduardo.4675

ahahaha, omg, i cant believe u guys bite that… Anet, gimme a fishing rod, ive got the bait already!!
Now seriously,of course i was joking, “ppl complaining that thieves have very little in the way of damage”…

Adapt or die. I never die.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

ahahaha, omg, i cant believe u guys bite that… Anet, gimme a fishing rod, ive got the bait already!!
Now seriously,of course i was joking, “ppl complaining that thieves have very little in the way of damage”…

There was a glimmer of evil excitement followed by gtfo u gotta be kitten me

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Was this within the span of a second. Since combat log doesn’t track time it may have been a backstab ((Wait for revealed)) then an instant stealth like blinding powder or such, due to culling this may have looked like one stealth. Either way it looks buggy or hacky, been seeing more and more hacks in WVW found a speed-hacking ranger the other day, still killed him but the guy zipped around in laggy jump around fashion

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

The only logic reasoning to this, that I can think of, is you got hit by 2 thieves…and just didn’t see the other one because of culling issues.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

Was this within the span of a second. Since combat log doesn’t track time it may have been a backstab ((Wait for revealed)) then an instant stealth like blinding powder or such, due to culling this may have looked like one stealth.

This.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

Was this within the span of a second. Since combat log doesn’t track time it may have been a backstab ((Wait for revealed)) then an instant stealth like blinding powder or such, due to culling this may have looked like one stealth.

This.

In his OP he said it took place within 1 second.
He got hit by two Thieves or the Thief was hacking ( seen it happen before).

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: neclon.4510

neclon.4510

If the thief was hacking why did he do such little dmg? Why not 10k per backstab? If I were hacking I would be full glass cannon build at least =P.

More likely it was either 1. 2 thieves, or 2. there is a way to land backstab without getting revealed if the timing is perfect and you come out of stealth during the backstab animation. Then shadow powder and backstab for a 2nd. #1 is the most likely – some thief that used shadow refuge and hide in shadows to get close and help his friend.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

From what i can gather,there is 2 thieves.One has pulled you with Scorpion wire,then C&D,then BS.The other did classic Steal+C&D+BS.The confusion comes from the fact,that the game kinda posted it in scrambled order.

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

I’m actually kind of confused as to how your CnD only hit for 460. Are you a P/D build? Hell, even then, that’s kinda low.

Still, no idea how this person did it. Could be a hack, could be another invader you just didn’t see because of culling, etc. Since it’s WvW, there’s a ton of different variables that could come into play.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

Based on the image name (BwEda.png), it’s probably a bug from back in the BwE as GW2 release screenshots are default names as gwXXX.jpg eg. gw020.jpg which implies that it’s the 20th SS you have taken.

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Kibbles.9813

I’m actually kind of confused as to how your CnD only hit for 460. Are you a P/D build? Hell, even then, that’s kinda low.

I run a 0/0/30/30/10 Condition build with P/D for WvW. Toughness / Precision / Condition gear; my regular attacks do no damage but I can almost instantly stack up 15 Bleeds that tick for 115 each. It’s amusing to see enemies go “ha ha this Thief does no dama- OH WHAT”. Good fun.

Based on the image name (BwEda.png), it’s probably a bug from back in the BwE as GW2 release screenshots are default names as gwXXX.jpg eg. gw020.jpg which implies that it’s the 20th SS you have taken.

Imgur renames your files; the screenshot was from 10 minutes previous to the original posting date.

The only logic reasoning to this, that I can think of, is you got hit by 2 thieves…and just didn’t see the other one because of culling issues.

I think this is the most likely explanation. The proximity and timing of the two Backstabs with no additional follow-up attacks still puzzles me, but who knows!

(edited by Kibbles.9813)

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Pirhana.8935

Pirhana.8935

If the target is in STEALTH then attacks hit them but do not uncover them so they dont register to the attacker as an actual hit. So in this case you must have been stealthed and he was hitting the backstab key over and over trying to find you and 2 of them landed.

this was tested where 2 people stealthed next to each other and 1 was able to land 4 backstabs in the 4 seconds they were both stealthed. they were facing each other so he was able to live threw it.

(edited by Pirhana.8935)

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: GlockworK.2954

GlockworK.2954

We can use Backstab twice (due to the cast time) with perfect timing coming out of stealth. It’s rather hard to land a .5 second cast with latency, let alone WvW so I’d say you were just unlucky.

It doesn’t happen very often, I’ve been practicing on PvE mobs lately trying to get the timing down.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Cornholio.1567

Cornholio.1567

He might have had another stealth stolen from a thief.. In that case he probably used haste to execute it fast.. Only explanation comming to my mind atm

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

its hard to make a guess with just that pic

(edited by Ichishi.9613)

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

He might have had another stealth stolen from a thief.. In that case he probably used haste to execute it fast.. Only explanation comming to my mind atm

How can either of these be the case when the first backstab should give the revealed debuff and prevent stealthing again for 3 seconds?

I think it may just be a timing bug. I’ve managed to somehow do two attacks before being revealed before, the second being a backstab, so it might be possible for it to happen with two backstabs, though I’m not sure how. It seems that the revealing isn’t quite instant. I only did it once against a training golem and wasn’t able to reproduce it.

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Read Pirhana’s post. If you backstab someone who is in stealth you do not get the revealed debuff. OP were you in stealth by any chance?

Aurora Glade [EU]

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

That’s my thinking too. You can see he used steal right after the backstab(s) so it would make sense that he used whatever stolen ability he has just before.

But I’m not sure if the stealth debuff is quickened with haste? It would be hard to believe OP used no skills for 4-5 seconds.

RIP in peace Robert

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

backstab first time he hide second time could be cause by blinding powder recloak him right away with out attacking or shadow refuge or he had hide on steal just waiting. that only way that come to my mind he could do a double bs

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Imperator totius Sylvari.9164

Imperator totius Sylvari.9164

backstab first time he hide second time could be cause by blinding powder recloak him right away with out attacking or shadow refuge or he had hide on steal just waiting. that only way that come to my mind he could do a double bs

Revealed should stop this, shouldn’t it?

Founder of [CBA]/Former vE
No.2 Warrior NA/Irl behind Mr Kitten.7359

Double Backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Malicious.6742

Malicious.6742

We can use Backstab twice (due to the cast time) with perfect timing coming out of stealth. It’s rather hard to land a .5 second cast with latency, let alone WvW so I’d say you were just unlucky.

It doesn’t happen very often, I’ve been practicing on PvE mobs lately trying to get the timing down.

This.
In case this post didn’t make it clear here is some further explanation.

Backstab has a cast time of .25s and an animation time which add up to a ~.5s time frame. If you time your BS that the stealth buff wears off within that time frame the revealed debuff will not be triggert even though your BS landed. This actually gives you the chance to restealth and BS a second time. As GlockworK already pointed out, this is rather hard to pull off.