Dueling guide vs DH w/ staff [clips]

in Thief

Posted by: tomwjd.8172

tomwjd.8172

Hello team, I just started my channel and will be posting content that encompass Daredevil 1v1s and roaming clips. Come check it out if you are interested.
I’m also new to producing videos and editing in general so please show mercy if you are somebody who likes seeing flashy/cool effects when watching fan content.

Depending on what build you are running and how proficient you are at it, daredevils have the potential to be the toughest 1v1 fighters currently, don’t let anyone tell you that daredevil suck at 1v1s.

Heres the dueling guide vs DH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC8LkOMUchg

You can use pulmonary impact trait or weapons like P/P to make the match up easier, but I really don’t like changing my traits or build for every different encounters. I rather stick with one thing that works universally for consistency, so I’m more interested in builds that are versatile and have no hard counters.

My build and some commentaries about roaming/1v1s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpo_yXO8dDU

If you want to see dueling guides vs any other builds/professions, please let me know and I’ll make one for you.

Please subscribe if you like, as I will be uploading more videos by next week.

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Min finally uploading videos!

Didn’t have time to watch each one fully but good stuff. You need to get to making montages :P

in Thief

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

Watched half of both videos because I thought you were going to suggest/commentary something else besides staff but I guess not.
This might sound rude even when I’m not trying to be, but you should edit your description. Some people simply don’t care about staff or bouncing dodger. I suck at staff, shortbow and s/d. I always panic and freeze.

Other than that, that was some fine dh butt kicking. Pretty close call but you got it!

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

(edited by darkaheart.4265)

in Thief

tomwjd.8172

Sure thing thx for letting me know

in Thief

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

high quality fights right there but doesnt it feel odd playing with such low mobility on thief?

especially when running DA instead of acrobatics you dont even have consistent swiftness while both spvp and wvw are more than just dueling and in both modes thief heavily relies on its mobility

also funny how you still end up having to run d/p all the while already having a melee weapon set and sacrificing a huge chunk of mobility, i guess thief just doesnt work without d/p anymore lol

regardless, that was some high skill staff play

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

high quality fights right there but doesnt it feel odd playing with such low mobility on thief?

especially when running DA instead of acrobatics you dont even have consistent swiftness while both spvp and wvw are more than just dueling and in both modes thief heavily relies on its mobility

also funny how you still end up having to run d/p all the while already having a melee weapon set and sacrificing a huge chunk of mobility, i guess thief just doesnt work without d/p anymore lol

I use p/p on secondary but I rarely find myself using the main hand range, most of us are built for closing the distance and I notice I rarely do much main hand ranged but I do get pistol 4 and 5 as utility. Sometimes I want to put d/p or staff on my secondary but I like the unload animation and it’s all about looking cool but the OP is actually being useful out there. I get near the same terrain mobility from staff 5 when I used that and staff 2 and three are great on the run, in wvw at least you might find you won’t miss shortbow 5 much.

Kash
NSP

(edited by kash.9213)

in Thief

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Min’s my guildie and I often duo thief roam with him with the acro build. Mobility has NEVER been an issue actually. We’re more than capable of 2 v X’ing and peeling away if we have to. You’ll probably see me in some of his upcoming videos. Did you not see him juke a zerg then win a 1 v 4 right after in one of the videos? The staff is our primary weapon. D/p is just used primarily as a recovery weapon and to juke zergs. That’s honestly what it’s used for or shadowshotting baddies or some match ups actually needs it.

So no, I disagree with you very heavily that thief doesn’t need “mobility” in wvw since it’s already very mobile with utilities and perma swiftness from acro. I sometimes even go zerg surfing with it just for the lulz. Bound is just too good to not take…Dash is just…a p****y build. I facepalm whenever I see one of those. Oh kitten , my burst failed…Let’s bail man! Whereas the build we use allows us to actually stay in the fight and make a difference.

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

all i could saw is nice duels but really not effective in pvp

spending 2 min fighting versus DH and see block block, evade ,block and immunity pops up you called it balance???
if you had 2 dodge like most classes you wouldnt be able to do that at all as thief.

the DH cooldowns are more shorter than thief. his healing abilities is much greater combine with the blocks and immunity.

as p/p i can take down DH in open field till he burn his cds but it will take some time does it mean its good one? NO

DH strong now – yes i get it . and no they hardly used in team fight as in team fight you need combine forces which DH lacks (mostly speed and rotation)

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

spending 2 min fighting versus DH and see block block, evade ,block and immunity pops up you called it balance???
if you had 2 dodge like most classes you wouldnt be able to do that at all as thief.

the DH cooldowns are more shorter than thief. his healing abilities is much greater combine with the blocks and immunity.

as p/p i can take down DH in open field till he burn his cds but it will take some time does it mean its good one? NO

DH strong now – yes i get it . and no they hardly used in team fight as in team fight you need combine forces which DH lacks (mostly speed and rotation)

He literally said it was a build for roaming lol.

in Thief

tomwjd.8172

If you are used to playing with dash but made the transition to play with bound, this video might show you some ways to make up for the loss of mobility:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d949Z_faQEQ

Vault still has some pros over infiltrator’s arrow:
-Cannot be interrupted
-Can jump over terrain configuration that would otherwise give you “no path” error.
-Will clear a condi as you evade attacks aimed at you

For pvp, I use Staff and shortbow (The video shows some Staff only duels). If you want to try staff in actual pvp game, you can use DA over Acro but I find that with acro, I can carry soloqs easier. In team fights, DA staff performs better if you have decent support. I haven’t really tested the viability of staff in actual inhouse against proleague teams but in duels against them on nodes (Both DA and Acro), it performs really well the more proficient you are at it.

The only unfavorable match up for you in a node fight would be dragon hunters, especially if they are paladin ammy. Anything else, you should be able to win the 1v1 with enough pressure to keep the node at least neutral until you win the fight or make them disengage.

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

He literally said it was a build for roaming lol.

you need to read more carefully
he state “1v1 and roaming”
in pvp arena its 1v1 .in wvw roaming
so in pvp useless most of the time . stick to +1

in Thief

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

weak example of a build because it was duel vs dh without zerk amul and bow.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in Thief

tomwjd.8172

weak example of a build because it was duel vs dh without zerk amul and bow.

Here are some matchups against diff DH builds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OIvVyujAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJnOLtlr_rM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiO0FZOAG-A

(edited by tomwjd.8172)