Elite Finishing Blow + PvE

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Is it possible to add a pulmonary impact to the finishing blow of impact strike in PvE (exclusively)?

Right now, finishing blow is amazing in PvP. But in PvE it’s totally useless since almost no mob has a downstate (I haven’t seen one yet in my progression in HoT).
The only thing it provides is raw damage, and even in that domain it’s weaker than the uppercut that comes before. The long cast time makes it so we just better stop the combo with the uppercut and let the skill go under cooldown (which is a shame, since the finisher blow is the one with the coolest visual effect in the combo).

I know that this skill is supposed to be aimed for PvP, but in PvP we have all the skills unlocked directly. It’s in PvE that we have to work into getting this skill that comes last in the mastery tree (In WvW it’s ok as it is obviously)

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

in Thief

Posted by: Singularity.1486

Singularity.1486

Impact strike is just bad in PvE imo…

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

Impact strike is just bad in PvE imo…

Impact strike is actually useful when you need to deplete break bars (with stun, and launch).
Adding pulmonary impact for the third strike would also help depleting the break bar more. It’s a good alternative to basilisk venom if you don’t want to lean toward venomshare but still want a CC build while focusing more on power.

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

So I guess no one even bothers using impact strike in PvE then :/

in Thief

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Impact Strike is our best skill to damage break bars. Yes, the last part of the chain isn’t very useful in PvE compared to PvP, but there’s nothing stopping us from just doing the first two hits.

In a lot of the new PvE content, where other players around you might not understand how break bars work, being able to punch above your weight using Impact Strike, Palm Strike and various Steals can be a big help when dealing with a lot of the new foes.

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

Impact Strike is our best skill to damage break bars. Yes, the last part of the chain isn’t very useful in PvE compared to PvP, but there’s nothing stopping us from just doing the first two hits.

In a lot of the new PvE content, where other players around you might not understand how break bars work, being able to punch above your weight using Impact Strike, Palm Strike and various Steals can be a big help when dealing with a lot of the new foes.

Yeah that’s exactly the point I’m trying to highlight with that skill.
It’s a great skill to break bar, but it’s a shame that we have to discard the last key of the chain since it’s the last, and thus hardest, skill to unlock in the Daredevil mastery tree.

I think that adding pulmonary impact to the third key in PvE would fix that problem while remaining in the theme of the Daredevil.
And since it would be a PvE exclusive attribute, I think no one would object against it.

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

So far, I’ve used Impact Strike → Uppercut → Fist Flurry → Palm Strike → Steal with Sleight of Hand, it completely breaks Mad King’s break bar. I think if you added a Pulmonary Impact to the end of the finisher it would be nice, but I’m not sure how you could balance this if you’re playing WvW or PvP, especially if you do this on someone who isn’t going to die from your combo alone. It sounds like it would make it deal a ton of damage.

Oh, you requested it as a PvE only trait. Hah. I can’t read :<

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

Yeah in WvW and PvP, this skill is really in a good place I don’t want any change in those modes.
It’s just about PvE.

in Thief

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

To be fair I think this skill is fine.
I’m using it all the time. And while not useful all the time i’m planning to keep it on my skillbar.
It’s really good against break bars and the damage isn’t terrible either (considering u only use it to break breakbars.)
Fist Flurry & Impact strike are both good at breaking bars. And if that’s not enough I always got my P/P #4 to spam some dazes.

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

Finishing Blow is still useless though and it’s the flashiest of the chain. It’s a shame that the best way to use the skill is to ditch that finisher.

It needs to have some use in PvE. I’m not saying that the skill in itself is bad, on the contrary. Impact strike hasn’t quit my skill bar since I’ve adopted it. The skill in its globality is not what I’m talking about. But it’s just I find it weird that the finisher shines the most in the only game mode where it’s unlocked from the start.

If it’s not possible to dissociate completely the effect between PvP and PvE, at least give it more damage so it’s not lackluster compared to Uppercut (in PvE).
Right now the conception for PvE is a bit off.

Uppercut : 3/4 second casting time, 1331 damage AND launch.
Finishing Blow : 1 second and a half casting time, 1183 damage.

They’ve already done that kind of dissociation for other skills. But I’d still prefer they add a pulmonary impact to the finisher. It would fit more.

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

So yeah, I do personally think that this topic needs attention from the devs (especially compared to those numerous troll threads that just serve to sink the useful ones)

in Thief

Posted by: Driften.8716

Driften.8716

I was trying to get them (Karl) to make Impact Strike more useful in PVE back in beta. I personally think a 20% damage increase to finishing blow if the enemy is below 15% health would be beneficial. It would fit the name and make it worth using in PvE especially against bosses. However this was one of the many feed backs ignored.

in Thief

Posted by: Tribunus.6237

Tribunus.6237

Less health more damage would work or make the final impact AoE/splash or even a small knockback as it does kinda break up the ground around its target.

in Thief

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve been playing around with this skill, and I’ve learned something. If left alone, the impact strike chain will take 4.5 seconds to execute fully. But, after the last hit the animation can be canceled nearly a full second early. I’m getting around 3.6 seconds for a full chain. At tooltip values, this is around 369 DPS for the full skill. Staff auto is around 447 tooltip damage.

It isn’t as bad as it used to be. Now, auto attacking is only only 21% higher instead of 45% higher. Could it still use a damage buff? Personally I would like to see one. I’m not sure how to classify the skill yet, though.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Thief

Posted by: Overworld.9613

Overworld.9613

You could make it work in line to how you’re all suggesting by changing the last part of the skill to deal a pulmonary impact if the target isn’t currently knocked down, a very common occurrence for champs and HoT mobs but in WvW and PvP where total resistance to knockdowns isn’t as prevalent it would still have it’s original function.

Secretly creative