Enough. The real problem with backstab builds is not Backstab.

in Thief

Posted by: Judas.5432

Judas.5432

I’ve said this in multiple ways in multiple threads but I’m really sick of reposting it so here it is in my own thread. I hope ANet takes a gander as I am generally very fair minded in my evaluations because I want this game to be awesome :-D

I’ll just jump right into it (and anyone can feel free to steal this explanation for any other thread that could really use it). The way it currently works is:

1. A Thief will activate Basilisk Venom, Skale Venom, and Assassin’s signet while out of combat.
2. When a target is spotted, the Thief triggers Cloak and Dagger.
3. While the animation is warming up the skill (but before the skill procs), the Thief triggers Steal, which instantly teleports them to the target and deals damage because they’ve traited it.
4. This is where things get shady. Rather than overriding Cloak and Dagger, the activation timer keeps ticking while the Thief is using another skill and the .5 second activation time of C&D essentially becomes less than .2 seconds, rendering it IMPOSSIBLE to avoid by any non-ninja human.
5. Target gets hit by Steal damage and is instantly and unavoidably smacked by Cloak and Dagger, which applies Basilisk Venom and Skale Venom, thus rendering them (a) surprised, (b) stoned, © vulnerable, (d) weakened, and (e) setup for the next stage, for which the Thief triggers Haste and doubles his or her action speed at the cost of, well, nothing really.
6. The surprised target now has about .25-.5 seconds at this point to react with a stun breaker if he was facing the Thief when this all started and .125 seconds if not. The Thief gets behind his or her stone target and triggers Backstab, which is very likely (and even possibly 100% reliable if traited with Hidden Killer instead of Executioner) to crit if the Thief is built properly.

Total time for this combo (not including Basilisk Venom)? About 1 second; maybe less. Total available reaction time? More often than not, about .125 seconds.

This is the problem non-Thieves are not understanding. Make Steal trigger like any other skill in this game (ie. One skill at a time) and the combo suddenly becomes: Venoms -> Steal -> Cloak & Dagger -> Positioning -> Backstab. The combo time would not increase much at all as the same skills are being used but the reaction time would increase about 6x to somewhere around .75 seconds with .5 of those devoted to avoiding the initial Cloak and Dagger attack, Skale Venom, and Basilisk Venom altogether. Half a second is an eternity to dodge, pop an invulnerability skill, block, or whatever. If the target couldn’t handle that, then he or she has other problems.

Now, granted, Haste is still and always will be a problem. ANet missed when they nerfed Pistol Whip instead of this skill. The Thief, even given this change to Steal, could trigger Haste at the same time and change the .5 second Cloak and Dagger into a .25 second skill with a .125 second Backstab, depending on target orientation.

This is still not a problem with Backstab!

The issue they need to fix is the setup. There definitely shouldn’t be a combo in this game that is unavoidable by natural human reaction speed. The way Haste works will unfortunately continue to create these types of scenarios where, because of the Thief’s hidden nature, will cause players to rage and scream about the class in general. A class who relies on stealth and instantaneous burst damage should not have a way to speed up their attacks.

So that’s basically it. Lay off of Backstab, everyone. It’s a red herring. The true targets of this fix should be Steal and Haste……and Haste should have been targeted long ago. It’s 4 seconds of canned OMG, if you ask me.

Also, ANet, in my opinion it’s ok to put Pistol Whip back the way it was and just change Haste into an entirely different skill. Give us an evade or an initiative builder instead…or something. I’ve just really thought, since day 1, Haste is generally just a bad idea for the Thief’s skill bar.

Sorry for the wall of text, all, but I hope it was informative.

ps – Here is a link to the build. You can see how it’s designed to just decimate 1 enemy every 45-60 seconds and that’s it.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

(edited by Moderator)

in Thief

Posted by: Sons.5493

Sons.5493

Haste should be deleted from the game.

in Thief

Posted by: RaCast.6510

RaCast.6510

Give us an evade or an initiative builder instead…or something. I’ve just really thought, since day 1, Haste is generally just a bad idea for the Thief’s skill bar.

You mean like…roll for initiative….?

in Thief

RaCast.6510

Thief triggers Haste and doubles his or her action speed at the cost of, well, nothing really.

I don’t like haste either as far as balance goes, but it does make you give up all of your endurance and stops your endurance regen for the entire duration. Meaning no dodges for at least 7-8 seconds after they activate haste meaning they’re a sitting duck. That is of course if you can get away which I’m not arguing here. Just saying it’s not technically costless

in Thief

RaCast.6510

last point is that everyone really should be carrying a stunbreaker. It always seems like it’s worthless cause it doesn’t increase your pretty numbers but it really will save your life and then let you kill the thief who just used every single cooldown and has no endurance to dodge. It will also get you out of a stunlocked 100b or pretty much any other sure death. Carry a stunbreaker guys. Shutting down an entire player for one utility skill is worth it and will make you feel awesome afterwards

in Thief

Judas.5432

I couldn’t agree more. It causes nothing but problems and promotes nothing but gimmicky 1-trick-pony builds. It and any counterparts it has among other classes are the most counter-innovative skills in the game.

You mean like…roll for initiative….?

Heh, yeah…..I haven’t put a lot of thought into what should replace it. Just saying that Haste is bad and it should feel bad.

I don’t like haste either as far as balance goes, but it does make you give up all of your endurance and stops your endurance regen for the entire duration. Meaning no dodges for at least 7-8 seconds after they activate haste meaning they’re a sitting duck. That is of course if you can get away which I’m not arguing here. Just saying it’s not technically costless

Yeah, I know it’s not nothing but the price is very small considering you don’t need dodge if you’ve properly picked your target.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

Posted by: Drtrider.6314

Drtrider.6314

In all honesty, the only time a backtab thief has killed me (I’m an 80 full exotic WvW fanatic thief) is if I give them the chance to.

It’s whoever jumps first is going to get murded. Most the time these super number backstabs/CnD’s only happen if when the victim is super-glass-cannon^10

But then again, any big burst build against another big burst build is going to die fast. People forget this. Not to mention 80% of those in PvP for some reason just run LOL-WTF Power/Precision builds. (I’m referring to WvW)

Also keep in mind those who run just super glass cannons in my opinion are doing it wrong any who.

Sylvioux 80 Thief
SWäG [Still Winning and Grinning]
Maguuma

in Thief

Posted by: bow.6179

bow.6179

I think this is a perfect fix and should make everyone happy. Great suggestion.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

“You mean like…roll for initiative….?”

very few people will get this lol

As much as I’m sure we’d all like this to just be an in-joke, “Roll for Initiative” is an actual thief skill in GW2 that evades and restores initiative, so I’m pretty sure 95 % of this forum population will get it.

in Thief

Posted by: SwickHobo.5096

SwickHobo.5096

True story, although your backstab build isn’t great. 10/30/0/0/30 is a much more effective backstab build in so many ways. Especially if you bring infiltrators signet. But this build actually requires a tiny bit of skill compared to the 30/30/x build as it has options and doesn’t rely on the steal combo except to finish people.

in Thief

Judas.5432

True story, although your backstab build isn’t great. 10/30/0/0/30 is a much more effective backstab build in so many ways. Especially if you bring infiltrators signet. But this build actually requires a tiny bit of skill compared to the 30/30/x build as it has options and doesn’t rely on the steal combo except to finish people.

I haven’t played a backstab build since Jinzu first posted his so I apologize if it’s out of date. Your spec loses 15% damage, 2 stacks of Might, and a stack of Weakness. While I can see it as a better survival build, it certainly isn’t maximized Backstabbiness….also, what would you remove for Infiltrator’s signet? Haste? It’s the only thing I could see being unnecessary but it’s also the only think keeping good players from reacting in time.

Ok, I’m curious, what’s the new and improved backstab build since my information is older :-)

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

Posted by: samkong.2719

samkong.2719

“You mean like…roll for initiative….?”

very few people will get this lol

As much as I’m sure we’d all like this to just be an in-joke, “Roll for Initiative” is an actual thief skill in GW2 that evades and restores initiative, so I’m pretty sure 95 % of this forum population will get it.

Ah, unfortunately getting tone from text can sometimes be hard. The way he used the periods I thought he was trying to make a D&D reference.

in Thief

Posted by: lotusedge.6743

lotusedge.6743

I agree with the removal of haste, it will always cause problems and I am a thief. Replace it with a condition removal + x ability (add whatever you want here, damage, condition, heal or boon).

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Since when does anyone use Haste in a backstab build? A simple dodge is 10x better at repositioning yourself in a short time and landing the crit. I’ve never even heard of using Haste before…

As for the comments about removing QUICKNESS from the game, I disagree. Quickness alone isn’t the issue, the speed at which it improves your attacks is. The speed increase should be reduced to 25-33%, much like the (usually) well balanced abilities in GW1 were.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

@SwickHobo, that build is awful for pretty much everything. I can’t see how you possibly think 30 points in trickery over 15 (the only good part of Trickery is the initiative regen for Backstab builds). I’m assuming you’d get increased range on Steal and Steal dazes for 1 second in the trickery build.

Basilisk Venom makes the steal daze completely moot, and the increased range on Steal is irrelevant since it’s already high enough, if not a bit too high. You also sacrifice 150 power for 150 condition damage and some CD reduction on Steal (which really won’t make much of a difference). That build would make 0 sense on a burst build. If you’re going to sacrifice burst for something, at least go through Shadow Arts. There’s far better things there than Trickery.

Also, to OP, your Backstab build is pretty off. Skale Venom is awful (3 Vulnerability stacks isn’t worth a utility slot), especially when you have 15 points in the Power trait (Weakness is already applied from Steal). Most builds also use 25/30/0/0/15 traits, since the 3 extra initiative is better than the traits you can get from 30 points in Power. They’re pretty useless most of the time. Dagger Training over Venomous Strength from 20 points in as well.

Yes, quote wasn’t working.

in Thief

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

Agree on the haste part, disagree on the CnD+steal combo. You can break off the basilisk poison anytime now with a stun breaker. If you change any mechanism of the burst backstab combo, it ends up useless for thieves as an assassin build. Other gimmicky builds end up as either annoying stealth thief, condition damage thief, glass cannon pistol thief.

In the first place such squish thieves can easily get killed after failing to do their combo, i.e get the enemy to 20% health, then they use heal and counter with their own chain damage, instantly killing the squishy 10-13K hp thief. This has happened many times in WvW to me.

It’s a one hit gimmick wonder, but are there any better builds that DOESN’T involve rendering build, or weak kitten condition damage?

in Thief

Posted by: FrozenLuv.6017

FrozenLuv.6017

I think they should either remove quickness from the game or lower the speed to maybe 50% faster instead of 100% faster.

in Thief

Posted by: Nihlus.9724

Nihlus.9724

More people need to be saying what you’re saying OP.

As I said in the suggestions thread, the way I see it, ANet can temper this setup in one of two ways:
1) Make it so you can’t use Steal while Cloak and Dagger is casting
2) Make it so Steal cancels the Cloak and Dagger cast

I think they would both get the job done, it would just be a matter of which is easier to implement.

Dear ANet, please don’t hurt PvE Backstab thieves that don’t do this.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Competitive thief here (pvp in general and alot of Tourneys) I support the OP 100%

Also agree that the Quickness boon should be toon down in speed percentage or remove the utilities that grant them from the game, let it just be a proc from traits/runes/sigils instead of a on demand boon.

for example a Ranger has access to quickness 3 times withing 1 min… due to gaining it every time he changes pets + a utility skill. put that together with rapid fire that hits 10 times for over 1k each. Not saying that rapid fire is OP but quickness definitely is in general for all professions.

in Thief

Posted by: Turimbar.2108

Turimbar.2108

I agree with OP here. The direct damage of Backstab is not as much of a problem as the apparent ease with which any thief can apply it.

I actually did not know that stealing DIDN’T cancel the induction on CnD. I assumed it did.

This is a definite thing that needs to be adjusted.

Also, I find it sad that steal has no animation… I want to see my character nab something from someone.

There is no Fate but what we make

in Thief

Posted by: Jinks.2057

Jinks.2057

You fix the being able to steal+CnD then EVERY class in this game looses that ability.

Trust me….other classes besides thief use this.

O and Judas in WvW where all these thief complaints are being generated from your build sucks. Your build will generate you getting killed more than your opponents.

in Thief

Judas.5432

You fix the being able to steal+CnD then EVERY class in this game looses that ability.

Trust me….other classes besides thief use this.

O and Judas in WvW where all these thief complaints are being generated from your build sucks. Your build will generate you getting killed more than your opponents.

First, yeah. Every class should lose the ability to cast 2 things at once, even if the second skill has zero casting time. Skills should queue up in the order they are activated no matter what, in my opinion. If we want to add some sort of cancellation mechanics, I’d be down to evaluate and review such a thing.

Second, it’s not my build and I’m not even saying I think it’s worthy of all the hype it’s getting. It’s Junzu’s from way back in Beta (at least I think it was still Beta). And it’s not a WvW build because I don’t really care who complains about what in WvW. WvW is not meant to be balanced. You can use boons, food, and up until recently, orbs. There is no balance there nor was there ever intended to be. It’s a 200v200v200 open combat war where you need to use team tactics and superior numbers in order to dominate your opponents.

sPvP is where balance should be determined as it is the “even playing field” and that is what the build was designed for.

But I agree with you. It’s not a WvW build and I would argue that there aren’t any actual backstab oriented builds that would excel in WvW….it’s too focused on one thing to be effective in such a scenario….heck, it never even stood a chance to be useful in tPvP once organized teams learned about it.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t think it’s necessary to remove Haste. What I seriously question is the wisdom of the person who decided the Quickness buff should be a 100% increase in speed instead of a 50% increase.

in Thief

Posted by: iSinner.4285

iSinner.4285

Nerfing steal would accomplish nothing, since there are plenty of skills that insta port you at target, like signet and shadowstep. Taking away all this is just unfair since all other professions have some sort of instaport to tager. I would not mind if they removed Mug tbh, just to stop the qq kids. It would take away a lot of damage from combo, about 25%-33%(yeah tested in mists, 4k mug 4k C&D 8k BS, all crits), and give us other good trait instead.

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

im going easy on those that want backstab nerfs. but i wont go easy on those who want to remove my ability to teleport-cast evil things into enemy zergs. Because its practically one of very few strong points of guild wars that actually made it to gw2.
Back to topic: i want to remind everyone AGAIN that range on untraited steal is 900. 900 means at least 2k range thief must walk in open to get in range of his steal, and 600 of them being easy and squishy target for long range attacks. I doubt any thief is capable of getting over 2k range faster than you can at least turn in his direction and place your finger on a stun breaker

in Thief

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Nice post Op.

I came here to investigate a thief I fought tonight that pretty much 100-0 me in seconds. I used a blink to get away but I was already at half health, they stealthed, and finished me off.

It was so incredibly fast that I wanted to read these forums and see what they’re doing. Just from leveling my lowbie thief what you posted made a lot of sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

Regardless though, I think your suggestion on steal is a great idea to balance out hat burst. As it stands now that burst is so intense and fast it’s really just too much my any mmo’s standard.

Thanks for the thoughtful approach.

in Thief

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

ps – Here is a link to the build. You can see how it’s designed to just decimate 1 enemy every 45-60 seconds and that’s it.

Please stop posting this horrible BS build; no sane Thief player will choose less than 5% more damage over a gab closer+stun break.

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yes, aside from the bad build the OP posted I share his assessment.

The problem is not Backstab…it’s the combo.

in Thief

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

You don’t even need to consume your bar with damage utilities. The backstab combo does absurd damage with just basilisk venom+the right traits. The problem with haste is that endurance regeneration is not required in the least for a thief to exit combat almost as quickly as he/she enters it.

Let’s put it this way. You trigger basilisk venom and haste as you begin the combo, but for some reason your spike fails. The target was expecting it and popped protection, a stunbreaker, stunned you, whatever. You need to get out? Roll for initiative and/or shadowstep, then swap to shortbow and hit 5. Either of those utilities will remove a stun, and get you out of their range even if you are immobilized, and SB5 is so strong for combat exiting that it should be consuming a utility slot just for existing on your bar.

in Thief

Ichishi.9613

basilisk venom? haste? roll? in a backstab burst build? Are you sure you see it right?

in Thief

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

You only need to be successful for the main part of your spike. Having damage utilities leaves you in a worse position if your spike fails than if you have evasive and escape utilities. The damage sacrifice is not that bad if you have a slightly different major trait setup. The large bulk of your damage is still there and is more than enough to make somebody blow their stun break.

After that, you can simply switch to shortbow. You will still do decent damage with it.

in Thief

Ichishi.9613

you will not be successful in main part of the spike if you dont bring devourer venom and assa signet at least.

in Thief

DesertRose.2031

you will not be successful in main part of the spike if you dont bring devourer venom and assa signet at least.

Cloak and Dagger, Steal and Backstab hit all within less than 1 second if executed well, so Basilisk Venom gives you is enough time for your combo. You can bring Devourer Venom instead of Basilisk Venom but I wouldn’t recommended it because no other elite complements a Backstab build as good as B Venom, and it frees one utility slot.

in Thief

Posted by: Webley.1295

Webley.1295

I put this in many other threads but this is the actual problem right here:

The spike and conditions when need to preq a backstab are fine

-Backstab (Have to be in stealth, and have to be behind the player)
-Upon doing the backstab your revealed for 3 seconds and can not go back to stealth

Seems fine to me

Whats not OK is C&D/MUG/STEAL/BASILISK Combo. When performing this combo this is what happens:

-You teleport to the player from 900range instantly (This is the strongest of all the things that happen in this combo and is vital to making it instagib)
-You steal an ability
-You gain 3 initive (usually) refilling the ini lost when casting C&D which then allows another 10% damage for having above 6 ini when traited
-You gain stealth for 3 secs
-You usually Crit with both MUG and C&D getting them below 50% health so Executioner applies another 20% damage
-MUG does good damage (To good for a 10 point trait)
-C&D does good damage on crit
-If MUG and C&D do both crit in that second upon landing, it does more damage than the backstab
-The player is immobilised for 1.5 secs instantly

This takes 1.5 sec to achieve setting you up for a super massive backstab

Fix the combo casting mechanic and you balance the thief without nerfing anything

Its clear that the strength to this build is the combo setup and not the backstab itself

Changing MUG to a burning condition would also work and not get buffed by any gear a thief normally uses and would not get effected by crit chance or crit damage gear

-Webley: Played Backstab thief long enough to give you good information on it

(edited by Webley.1295)

in Thief

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Maybe Anet needs to put a .5-1 second global cooldown on the whole action bar?

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Thief

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

Instant cast abilities designed to be outside the skill queue, so they can be cast in the middle of other skills. They can also be cast while stunned/knockedown.

Design decision from beta. Probably not going to change because all classes have instant cast spells (warrior shouts, ele arcane/some sir skills, many more)

However, steal could be changed to not be instant, but just have a very short cast time (ie, .01s). I think some warrior abilities are like this (warhorn maybe?). They have no cast time, but cannot be used during other skill’s charging.

in Thief

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

I really think this is one of the best things they could do to balance the game. At the very least make it a 33% increase, not 100%.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Quickness needs to be an intensity stacking boon. Current haste strength isn’t broken for the random 2/3 second procs, but on-demand longer-term quickness is insane. Make it 10 % speed stackable upto 10. The current procs would either grant 10 stacks to remain their current effectiveness, or less stacks but have their cooldown adjusted to go off more often. This makes quickness easier to balance and manipulate while also opening up ways to give out minor quickness boosts (10 – 20 %) cheaply without breaking things.

in Thief

Posted by: FrozenLuv.6017

FrozenLuv.6017

I really think this is one of the best things they could do to balance the game. At the very least make it a 33% increase, not 100%.

They should either remove or rebalance quickness, not just haste

in Thief

Posted by: Kuroin.1703

Kuroin.1703

I agree partly with OP, quickness is broken and needs to be nerfed if not preferably removed completely since it’s causing a lot of issues. On the other hand it would be unfair to nerf steal which imo is already quite boring and lacking for something that should help defining a class.

in Thief

Posted by: Jefzor.7145

Jefzor.7145

So true, CnD+Steal is the real problem that makes our burst OP. Haste should be nerfed for all classes.

in Thief

Posted by: kineticdamage.6279

kineticdamage.6279

@OP : what you don’t mention is that this overkill combo is only doable every …. minute.

So people are whining because Thieves can assassinate someone every … minute .. ?

/facepalm

/tactical_facepalm when we all know that all classes can align planets like that.

edit : people will always find a way to complain about litterally anything anyway, as long as they can’t win 100% of the time.

in Thief

Judas.5432

@OP : what you don’t mention is that this overkill combo is only doable every …. minute.

It’s not about how often they can do it. I agree that any build created around this whole “1 kill per minute” philosophy is bad and less than fun. The problem people have with it, and I can kind of understand why, is that it truly is instant, you can hit them 3 times and no untrained (I’m talking actual reflex training) human can react fast enough to avoid any of them. Where is the skill involved in that for the other player. There should be some chance for them but they should have to be aware to take advantage of it, imo, but at least give them a chance to dodge it if they are good enough.

Granted, this combo is often not the whole battle and good players can come back from getting hit by it to win the fight anyway, but I would like it to be that if a person is fast enough, they can break out of it before it finishes…

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

DesertRose.2031

It’s not like BS Thieves are useless while Basilisk Venom, Assassin’s Signet and Steal are recharging; with the Shortbow those BS Thieves are also strong in group fights.

in Thief

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

The issue they need to fix is the setup.

The quickness and two venoms are unnecessary to the combo for WvW. They are only relevant in sPvP because there are no non-stealth culling limitations and the damage levels are much lower overall, so it’s possible for players to actually survive the SigAss-CND-Mug-Backstab.

My recommendation from the other thread was to:

a) Nerf Mug damage directly (significantly) and add bleed stacks to it.
b) Increase the cast time on Backstab by 0.25s and enable the bonus damage from the sides as well as the back (not just the back).
c) Increase the cast time on CND by 0.5s and deal the CND damage at the beginning of the cast, with the damage still triggering the stealth, but the stealth occuring at the end of the cast. E.g. “damage – 1.0 – stealth”, rather than “0 – 1.0 – damage+stealth”.

This would space out the damage of the combo to an extent where the combo is essentially avoidable or counter-able similar to Bull’s Rush-HB, improve usability of sustained backstabs in a mobile fight, and improve the usability of CND as a stealth tool for multiple builds. It will also marginally help the stealth culling issue by placing the damage away from the stealth, so you cannot pre-cast some of the CND while in stealth.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

(edited by EasymodeX.4062)

in Thief

Judas.5432

The quickness and two venoms are unnecessary to the combo for WvW. They are only relevant in sPvP because there are no non-stealth culling limitations and the damage levels are much lower overall, so it’s possible for players to actually survive the SigAss-CND-Mug-Backstab.

Keep WvW out of this thread, please. Balance is and should be done in s/tPvP, not WvW. Period.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

EasymodeX.4062

Keep WvW out of this thread, please. Balance is and should be done in s/tPvP, not WvW. Period.

WvW is part of the game. No one expects perfect balance in WvW, but the Thief backstab combo is currently an extreme outlier.

Deal with it.

Or rather, wait till ANet deals with it. Hopefully they make reasonable changes along the lines that I listed, rather than something lame like nerfing Backstab damage to nil.

in Thief

Judas.5432

I’m just sick of people who really just don’t understand how to play this game and refuse to get better (aka. you).

Here’s the thing, if you can’t live through a single steal → C&D → Backstab combo, you are doing it wrong or complaining about a legitimate kill due to your glass connon build. Without the venoms, you are not vulnerable nor are you stone. There is no follow-up and you can escape further damage with many single skills and a heal.

In other words, if you think a single 3-hit combo done at any time that doesn’t kill you (and it shouldn’t, no matter what class you play, if you’ve built for WvW and are geared properly) is just showing your inability to play this game well.

No wonder your name is Easymode….it seems to be how you want this game to be for you.

Basically, I know WvW is part of this game but it’s a part of this game based on and supporting class, gear, skill, booster, and situational imbalance. I don’t see why that’s so difficult to understand. You don’t balance a class based on how people play in an area like that.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

Judas.5432

No.

1. WvW gear and damage means that a hybrid set of gear will still get instakilled by the backstab combo.

2. Glass cannon gear does not mean players should insta-die. There is still a game to be played. There’s no reason a thief should have instant kills. Kills within 1.5-3.0 seconds is fine. That’s still fast as hell. Kills within 0.3-0.5 seconds? Absurd.

Especially when Thieves STILL have insane survivability in the build.

No wonder your name is Easymode….it seems to be how you want this game to be for you.

Actually, it sounds to me like you want your class to remain as a macro 1 button autokill on almost every target in WvW.

Actually, I play a roaming survivability build in WvW (able to survive an extended fight rather than some useless “less than or equal to” 1-kill per minute flavor of the month) and condition builds in PvP/PvE. I kill backstab Thieves who jump me in WvW with my undergeared Guardian.

Whether you are killed in .5 seconds or 3 seconds is irrelevant. It’s whether or not you can do anything about it that matters. If you are undergeared or glass cannon built in WvW, any class has a chance to kill you before you have a chance to do anything. Every single class in this game has options for that if the fight is unfair from the start. Only skill and class knowledge can even that gap.

I’ll say it again; it doesn’t matter if you die in .5 seconds or 3 seconds. What matters is whether or not you have any chance to take action in an attempt to avoid your death. If you think some level 80 Elementalist in level 60 gear has any chance to avoid an exotically equipped warrior bullrushing and 100b’ing him from behind in WvW, you are dreaming.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in Thief

EasymodeX.4062

Whether you are killed in .5 seconds or 3 seconds is irrelevant. It’s whether or not you can do anything about it that matters.

Against all classes except a Thief, you can counter glass cannon via good gameplay.

Thief, no. Gameplay doesn’t enter into the equation with nearly instant combos from range.

If you think some level 80 Elementalist in level 60 gear has any chance to avoid an exotically equipped warrior bullrushing and 100b’ing him from behind in WvW, you are dreaming.

Mist form. Also they have almost a full 1.0 seconds to dodge the BR. Thus, you have two chances to counter and avoid all or most of the damage. Thief gives you 0.3 seconds to dodge the combo. Fail that and you insta-die.

And why are we talking about players in level 60 gear? Lolololol. Pretty sure a Thief could kill a level 80 in level 1 white gear from Mug alone.