Entry-Level WvW Build?

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Posted by: sirrealist.1360

sirrealist.1360

Aloha from Hawaii!

I’m a regular PvE/Dungeoneer, and am starting to get some interest in trying out WvW. I don’t know much about it, but I take it my zerk D/D & S/P builds don’t work so well in WvW. So, I’ve been doing some reading, and it looks like this is an entry-level build:
P/D & SB

I know there have been some major changes to thief recently and I’m not new to thief, but I don’t know much about WvW. If there are other builds and/or you have any constructive advice, please feel free!

Mahalo

EDIT: Fixed bad link to build… thanks smithkt!

(edited by sirrealist.1360)

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Posted by: smithkt.8062

smithkt.8062

The link you posted goes to an Ele build, not thief.

Watching to see if you get good replies. I have no WvW experience with my thief either.

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

Check what Hunter wrote here, pretty much sums up a standard D/P build with good sustain through shadow arts:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/HunterXIV-s-Thief-Build

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

sirrealist.1360

Check what Hunter wrote here, pretty much sums up a standard D/P build with good sustain through shadow arts:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/HunterXIV-s-Thief-Build

Yeah, i just put what he said together into the build editor. Seems like that is a good entry-level build, but I don’t want to assume he’s right.

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

sirrealist.1360

Also, I currently have everything listed in the build EXCEPT traveler’s runes and valk set. My current setup is zerk for dungeons. What’s the best way to get a valk set? You can buy armor from a WvW vendor, right? Should I use my zerk set to save up for valk, or buy a rare valk set and use that to save up?

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Posted by: Mahkno.7593

Mahkno.7593

you won’t be able to buy valk from wvw armor vendor. you’ll need to get it with gold. you wouldn’t want to put expensive runes into wvw armor anyway since you can’t get them out.

use your zerk set until you can afford exotic valk if that’s what you’re going for. maybe get some +vitality and -condi food in the meantime.

dodge a lot. hope you don’t run into rangers running sic ’em… be prepared to die. a lot. have fun.

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Mahkno.7593

i should add that it (armor/runes) also totally depends on if you’re wanting to roam solo, roam with a group, or in a zerg.

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

sirrealist.1360

Roam solo or with a small PUG. I’m looking try and ask in map talk if anyone wants to roam with me and show me the ropes. It’d be fun to sort of scout and sneak into enemy territory, try to find someone(s) unawares, engage and kill them. Kind of like how air superiority fighter jets in WWII used to scout enemy lines and try to surprise and kill others.

Any changes to my build b/c of that?

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Mahkno.7593

well if you’re going p/d then full dire armor (krait, or balthazar, or perplexity runes) condition build will be the safest thing. you’ll be able to take a lot of damage and watch them bleed to death. people will hate you for it. since you haven’t bought your exotic set yet this might be the way to go. people will cry and call you cheese. whatever.

if you’re going for a faster power play style then d/p if probably the safest thing now. you can go full zerk or mix zerk with valk or cav. but you’re probably going to want power runes over traveller (strength, pack, ogre).

good luck.

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

sirrealist.1360

So if i want to try things out without dropping a ton of G (to see if i like it), then maybe I can try this with what I already have? Is the trait setup for D/P the same as P/D?
Would this work?

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Mahkno.7593

traits look fine for d/p.

i’d suggest putting shadow refuge on your bar (shadow refuge, infiltrator’s signet, shadow step is pretty standard for roaming), but that’s just a personal preference.

you have very low hp so you’ll just have to outplay all the bad guys. just get in there to get experience doing it. you’re gonna die often but you’ll learn and eventually get better/better gear (and guard stacks, etc).

backstab all the things. have fun.

Entry-Level WvW Build?

in Thief

Posted by: Grumpy.6027

Grumpy.6027

Um bro tbh try the thief but try all weapon sets and combos and see what is best for your playing style but atm thief is broken. Sword isnt the same and d/p is a little different but iam playing around with a pp, p/d power build which is doing well but it is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT playing style for a thief.