Fastest movement: Infiltrator's Arrow VS HS

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Running around the map, cutting trees and gathering metals.
Which one, and why?
Thank you.

in Thief

Posted by: Meryn.6875

Meryn.6875

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

wow, thank you sir

in Thief

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

Neither; the metabattle entry isn’t quite right. Repeatedly using infiltrator’s strike and cancelling infiltrator’s return is the fastest way to move around a map. Requires a target in the distance, but if you have one, it’s faster than both heartseekering repeatedly and using infiltrator’s arrow.

Second Child

in Thief

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

how do you cancel shadow return?

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Infiltrator’s arrow is faster to cast, and covers the range of 2 heartseekers with same cost. And you lose about 20-40% of the promised distance by its cast time and also dependent on latency or server lag

Heartseeker has longer cast time, halts movement and benefits from swiftness (but also is affected by slow and immobilize), it also doesn’t require precise targeting and has higher success rate since it isn’t a shadow step.

Normally they are both quite equal.
With swiftness heartseeker wins.
With haste infiltrator’s arrow wins, since the distance of HS is shortened by haste.
While in stealth infiltrator’s arrow wins.
While in stealth with “+50%” movement speed heartseeker wins.
While crippled/frozen/immobilized infiltrator’s arrow wins.

Max mobility and chaseability taking that there are targets available would be:
D/P + S/x, Withdrawal, Roll for Initiative, Infiltrator’s signet, Shadow Step, respective traits to reduce cooldowns, long range steal, long duration swiftness on demand.

how do you cancel shadow return?

Interesting. I suppose it can be canceled with a dodge or possibly by sheathing weapons mid cast.

^Can be canceled both ways but will however not remove the return spot nor reset the skill to the first in chain.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

in Thief

Posted by: Lygon.4896

Lygon.4896

Ghostwolf summed it up nicely. Basically if you have 25% movement signet just spam heartseeker. If you dont, then infiltrators arrow

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in Thief

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

Interesting. I suppose it can be canceled with a dodge or possibly by sheathing weapons mid cast.

^Can be canceled both ways but will however not remove the return spot nor reset the skill to the first in chain.

By cancel I mean return in place and reset to the first skill in the chain.

Second Child

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

If you swap weapons at the end of the HS animation, HS will result in faster movement speed than Infiltrator Arrow. Of course, this requires both Swiftness AND out of combat.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: Rome.3192

Rome.3192

I don’t know if this has been fixed since I’ve been away from the game for 3 months, but to cancel infiltrator’s return, you jump + infiltrator’s strike at the same time. The resulting infiltrator’s return will no longer send you back and you can keep chaining this infinitely. Requires some practice, but it used to be pretty doable.

Thief

in Thief

Posted by: OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

You have to have a hostile targeted. Jump immediately after starting sword2. There won’t be a return circle, you sword2.2 and you don’t go anywhere. (If you have no target or targeting friendly, the return circle will plop when your jump lands)

in Thief

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

IA is the clear winner because as people above said, it’s the same distance.
It’s shorter than 2 heartseekers(under swiftness) for the same cost, but because you also get to run(animation is shorter than 2 heartseekers) it evens out.
So why it makes it better?
Well, because it is ONLY EVEN when you have swiftness and are out of combat. Combat? No Swiftness? Even worse, movement speed reduction?
And that’s straight line distance. IA also helps with vertical movement.
And our 3rd contender which, however, requires a target: Loop InStrike.
Costs 5(3 with 15sec return timer) initiative(Heartseeker:3, IA:6) and covers 600 distance(heartseeker: almost 600 under swiftness, IA: 900), does not prevent standard movement(unlike the other two, I’m pretty sure both IA and heartseeker prevent normal movement for about 0.75 seconds – the heartseeker literally and IA is doing that by bringing you to the targeted point even if you move forward during 0.75 seconds)
That’s actually is slightly better than the other two assuming you always move where you want – makes it great for chasing down a target. But for simple movement, looping it on a single target is usually not possible. Looping it on multiple targets will make you move zig-zag at the very least, which is not good. Also can’t be reliably used to climb hills like IA can be.

(edited by Evalia.7103)

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

The problem with IA is aiming it. Any contours on the ground make it difficult to aim to best effect. Inclines and rocky terrain basically make it useless.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Posted by: Meryn.6875

Meryn.6875

Youre probably not going for recordspeed, just some speed for havesting/exploring.

I’d recommend heartseeker when ooc and with swiftness, and IA when youre in combat. Sword is too much of a hassle imo and you can’t spam it as much as heartseeker. Last time i did this all my jumps got misstimed and I got teleported back enough to pretty much stay on the same spot after 3 tries ^^

Just go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. Dont force anything

in Thief

Posted by: Exo.2965

Exo.2965

Running around the map, cutting trees and gathering metals.
Which one, and why?
Thank you.

I just leave this here http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQNAsYVl8MpwpdPx0J0PNBPBt9AaQA4cClozVsWA-TFCEAB2t/ABPAgEV/ZLlgMp8zgzAQH6bA4QAAA-w . . . no agro, no mob fights, just pure grinding