Feb 26, 2013 - Patch Notes

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

General

Using stealth no longer resets NPC aggression tables.

Thief

Basilisk Venom: Enemies affected by this ability will now indicate it in their boons and conditions bar.
Cloak and Dagger: The player can no longer use this ability stack stealth by attacking WvW walls.
Shadow Shot: This ability now allows the player to move while executing dagger strike portion of the ability.
Venomous Aura: Activating a venom skill with this trait equipped will now briefly display an indicator ring around the thief.
Withdraw: This ability now scales 20% better with healing power. Base healing per level has increased by 10%.
Ankle Shots: This trait now applies a full 3-second cripple.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

‘Using stealth no longer resets NPC aggression tables.’

I thought we were already quite squishy, how is this going to effect us in dungeons?

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Imagine that, more minor buffs.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Laika.8795

Laika.8795

I approve. First time I’ve actually been happy reading patch notes, but this stems from the fact that I already use Withdraw.

Shadow Shot, I assume it means it doesn’t root you anymore, so I expect the rise in D/P to be exponential.

You’ve surprised me, ANet. Not amazing, but a step in the right direction.

in Thief

Posted by: dmbucs.1367

dmbucs.1367

Looks good to me when I expected Thief to get minor nerfs.

Mandrake
<PINK>Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

One of the best patches to date.

- You can now SEE basilisk venom being put on you
- Cloak and daggering a door will no longer be viable
- Shadowshot, the most useful skill in the game has it’s animation tweaked
- You can now SEE that you’ve shared venoms with others, so that’s OP as kitten
- 10% more healing for the only heal skill that no one uses? kitten yea, priorities here!
- You can now apply 100% (instead of 60%) cipple on someone every 10 secs with one of the best minor traits ever. Cripple p/d build new meta.

Great job Anet!

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

You can now apply 100% (instead of 60%) cipple on someone every 10 secs with one of the best minor traits ever. Cripple p/d build new meta.

I think you may be misunderstanding.

Honestly, this patch did nothing to bring my interest back. In fact, I feel more inclined to continue playing some of my other classes now, especially ele.

P/P still got no love. Its auto attack is still garbage. Body Shot is still garbage.

(edited by Kurow.6973)

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

I thought we were already quite squishy, how is this going to effect us in dungeons?

Blood~

I’m hoping this means that as soon as you stealth the mobs don’t run away and start healing. Nothing as frustrating as trying to res someone in a dungeon in SR losing aggro completely while the boss heals to full when you had <10% left.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Tolfast.6289

Tolfast.6289

General

Shadow Shot: This ability now allows the player to move while executing dagger strike portion of the ability.

Finally!

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

General

Shadow Shot: This ability now allows the player to move while executing dagger strike portion of the ability. Finally. With this, it’s finally fluid.

Withdraw: This ability now scales 20% better with healing power. Base healing per level has increased by 10%. Sweet.
Ankle Shots: This trait now applies a full 3-second cripple. I’m not complaining

Everything else? Eh whatever. No problem with em regardless.
Tripwire and Needle trap still broke.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

As an indirect buff, flame and frost auras have also been improved (important if you group up with eles while using D/D + SB)

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

Blood~

I’m hoping this means that as soon as you stealth the mobs don’t run away and start healing. Nothing as frustrating as trying to res someone in a dungeon in SR losing aggro completely while the boss heals to full when you had <10% left.

Same. I’m really afraid it means that stealth doesn’t lose enemy aggro at all though now, and we’ll be attacked in stealth. Could be a nail in the coffin for thieves in dungeons.

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

As an indirect buff, flame and frost auras have also been improved (important if you group up with eles while using D/D + SB)

Yea…and as a direct buff, my ele is even more godlike now! OH YEA!!!!!!

in Thief

Laika.8795

Same. I’m really afraid it means that stealth doesn’t lose enemy aggro at all though now, and we’ll be attacked in stealth. Could be a nail in the coffin for thieves in dungeons.

I assure you, that’s not what it means at all.

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

I’m entirely certain that this did not buff D/D bunker eles in any way. Definitely not in any way. (way to find the dark cloud in the silver lining. :P)

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

I’m entirely certain that this did not buff D/D bunker eles in any way. Definitely not in any way. (way to find the dark cloud in the silver lining. :P)

Frost aura now reduces damage 10% but chills less.
In other words they now take less damage, but heal less.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

General

Thief

Cloak and Dagger: The player can no longer use this ability stack stealth by attacking WvW walls.

finaly

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Thief

Posted by: Air.6452

Air.6452

Blood~

Expect to get aggro more.

Chody – Leader of We Came To Dance GW2
Crystal Desert
We Came To Dance [WCTD]

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

So again, just a few fixes with no real changes.

This game has been stale for a while now and nothing is changing about that.

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

General

Thief

finaly

Well I gues im gratefull. This saved me some gold, couse i was planing in geting carrion gear to ninja solo towers.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Thief Changes:
S/P no longer Viable.
Pistol Pistol less Viable.
Nothing else changed.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: King of Stingers.5341

King of Stingers.5341

General

This is either bugged as it is or it just rendered my thief totally useless in pve. Some mobs seem to continue attacking you even if stealthed.. totally defeats the purpose.

in Thief

Posted by: Pentalic.5409

Pentalic.5409

I’ve been testing this out and it seems to be exactly as they state. When you gain the Stealth buff you are safe from being attacked just like before. Exiting stealth, however, you will have the same amount of aggro as before you gained Stealth.
It’s a good implementation without completely destroying Thief PvE.

Blackgate – Asuran Thief – Pentalic The Silent
“A wise man once said something. No one paid attention.”

in Thief

Posted by: Easlay.3297

Easlay.3297

my only question is: with this stealth change, what’s the point of our already useless skill #3 while downed?

[OSC] Easlay Koorst – Thief
Sfr

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

this means if i do HiS and boss is only on me, he won’t reset ?
best patch we ever had, and withdraw is even more useful than HiS, or at least on par
too bad most shadow arts skills are “on stealth”

i quited again the vennom build since 300 range is crap…

(edited by DanH.5879)

in Thief

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

As a thief, I welcome these changes.

I wouldn’t even call them changes, they’re more like bug fixes.

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

Trip wire and Needle trap no longer fail if there edges are touched instead of the center.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

I’ve been testing this out and it seems to be exactly as they state. When you gain the Stealth buff you are safe from being attacked just like before. Exiting stealth, however, you will have the same amount of aggro as before you gained Stealth.
It’s a good implementation without completely destroying Thief PvE.

The only issue with this, is if you’re getting focused in a group, stealth is a mechanic we can use to get out of a rough situation.

Additionally, when the Guardian we run with is in hot water, I throw down a Shadow Refuge for him to get back on his feat and maybe get the monsters off his back for a while.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro
Now, assuming that the High Toughness/Low Vitality causes more ‘threat’ – it would seem the Thief is naturally prone to being the focal point of attention general speaking as we are on the low end of the HP pools with Guardian & Elementalist.

This could be a potential issue for thieves being the focus of attention in dungeons when we run with Warriors, etc – as their high HP pool doesn’t always encourage toughness in their builds.

Yes, I’m probably reading too much into this… but I love to min/max my stats, and coordinate with the group I run with. Knowing I have to sacrifice some stats to beef up my vitality because of a stealth change is a bit disheartening. Although, I’ve yet to personally test this, and is just a theory at best at this point.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

so much for the BIG pvp patch.

wasn’t it a SURPRISE?

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

Blood~

Doesn’t mean mobs will attack you when stealthed. It does mean that stealthing your whole group won’t reset a boss……so a good thing.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

so much for the BIG pvp patch.

wasn’t it a SURPRISE?

That patch has been pushed to March. We knew this weeks ago.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: killimandros.5087

killimandros.5087

A question; Is it only me, or does ranger pets now follow you even though you are stealthed? Been playing only an hour, but had a fight 2v2 with a ranger against a thief and a warrior, the ranger put his pet initially on guard on the thief, and it followed the thief even though he/she stealthed, using all tricks to get away. Hell it even leaped after the poor guy when he used a teleport stunning him at trasmissions end. Looked a bit like Benny Hill show. Anyone else has any imput? Never seen this before though

in Thief

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

thieves got a buff. i almost can’t believe it (i’m lying i totally believe it after seeing anet employees rocking thief in wvwvw)

i guess we should all just bail and turn wvwv into tvt.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Thief

LOCO.1785

thieves got a buff. i almost can’t believe it (i’m lying i totally believe it after seeing anet employees rocking thief in wvwvw)

Because thieves got a slight buff to one of the healing skills no one uses?

Yeah, definite call to all roll thieves.

/sarcasm

in Thief

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

/sarcasm

the point is thieves needed a vast nerf and they got buffed instead regardless of how small the buff was (it also wasn’t just the healing).

if you don’t think thieves own wvwvw you’re living in a fantasy land.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Thief

LOCO.1785

You’re right, I’m living in fantasy land.

It’s crazy here, I see D/D eles tearing apart groups including thieves.

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

/sarcasm

the point is thieves needed a vast nerf and they got buffed instead regardless of how small the buff was (it also wasn’t just the healing).

There’s some much crap more pressing than thieves atm.
And increasing build diversity by putting more options out there?
You think I’m mad Ele’s focus got attention? No.
Because the focus Needed attention.
Complaining about buffs to things that are being undersold is stupid, straight up unless those buffs create further issues.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

A question; Is it only me, or does ranger pets now follow you even though you are stealthed? Been playing only an hour, but had a fight 2v2 with a ranger against a thief and a warrior, the ranger put his pet initially on guard on the thief, and it followed the thief even though he/she stealthed, using all tricks to get away. Hell it even leaped after the poor guy when he used a teleport stunning him at trasmissions end. Looked a bit like Benny Hill show. Anyone else has any imput? Never seen this before though

Stealth no longer resets aggro table.. so the pet will find you when you destealth.. this includes all pve mobs.. its a BS change.

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Stealth no longer resets aggro table.. so the pet will find you when you destealth.. this includes all pve mobs.. its a BS change.

It was to fix the bug that caused mobs to de-aggro thieves by accident. Can you imagine how annoying it is when a champion de-aggros and starts it’s out of combat heal when you’re trying to kill it?

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

It was to fix the bug that caused mobs to de-aggro thieves by accident. Can you imagine how annoying it is when a champion de-aggros and starts it’s out of combat heal when you’re trying to kill it?

I personally think the “champ will zone in and kill you through everyone in your group now, because you cant drop aggro” will be more annoying.. but, that is my opinion only.. only time will tell if other ppl feel the same way.

in Thief

Posted by: Pentalic.5409

Pentalic.5409

I went on some dungeon runs tonight to test the aggro changes and found that the change hasn’t affected aggro all that much. I deal a ton of damage and when I pulled aggro and stealthed, I found that the rest of my party generated enough to compensate me coming out of stealth to wail on the big baddy again. I stealth quite a bit during combat and have found that the boss only b-lines for you if you exit stealth an instant after entering (not very smart anyway).

Blackgate – Asuran Thief – Pentalic The Silent
“A wise man once said something. No one paid attention.”

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

I went on some dungeon runs tonight to test the aggro changes and found that the change hasn’t affected aggro all that much. I deal a ton of damage and when I pulled aggro and stealthed, I found that the rest of my party generated enough to compensate me coming out of stealth to wail on the big baddy again. I stealth quite a bit during combat and have found that the boss only b-lines for you if you exit stealth an instant after entering (not very smart anyway).

Sometimes i stealth purely to backstab.. and dropping aggro is nice or else after i backstab i get spanked.. min maxing thing.. i dont fancy waiting for a few seconds before backstabbing just makes it really slow..

Anyway ill test some more in dungeons.. i could be overreacting. but from initial impressions.. thats what i got.. so i hope you are right.

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

/sarcasm

If you expected thieves to get a nerf then your living in a fantasy world. Everyone that has been playing a thief for a while and follows patch notes knows that its more likely we get buffs instead of nerfs. Thieves havent been nerfed in almost 5 months wake up! Its always good to hold on to hope though I admire it lol.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

Laika.8795

You’re right, I’m living in fantasy land.

It’s crazy here, I see D/D eles tearing apart groups including thieves.

This is the best comment made in this entire subthread.

Thank you.

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

This is terrible. Their total inability to actually detect problems and apply appropriate solutions instead of just tinkering with random traits and skills arbitrarily month after month is ruining my desire to play this game.

Stealth needed a buff in PvE, not a nerf. Pistols are still terrible because of an obviously too-slow animation on Vital Shot and an overly-situational Body Shot. BS glass cannon is still the most optimal build by a good margin. These are much bigger and more glaring problems than the cripple on Ankle Shots.

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

This is terrible. Their total inability to actually detect problems and apply appropriate solutions instead of just tinkering with random traits and skills arbitrarily month after month is ruining my desire to play this game.

Stealth needed a buff in PvE, not a nerf. Pistols are still terrible because of an obviously too-slow animation on Vital Shot and an overly-situational Body Shot. BS glass cannon is still the most optimal build by a good margin. These are much bigger and more glaring problems than the cripple on Ankle Shots.

I am more concerned with their inability to prioritize, i dont know how the stealth PvE nerf was higher above than other issues plaguing this game.. .

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I am more concerned with their inability to prioritize, i dont know how the stealth PvE nerf was higher above than other issues plaguing this game.. .

That’s pretty much the exact same point I was making.

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

That’s pretty much the exact same point I was making.

oh ok..

in Thief

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

i dont get this “Shadow Shot: This ability now allows the player to move while executing dagger strike portion of the ability.”
what execly does it means, the skill still does the same thing

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

after the teleport you were rooted in place while swinging your dagger. noy you can move.
before when your target was running you were able to close the gap with teleport and then miss. now the skill will be more efficient.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara