Fighting stun locking zerker warrior?

in Thief

Posted by: Bud.5617

Bud.5617

How do you guys beat them (sPvP)?

They got stun, and then stun, and then stun again. Did I say stun?

Meanwhile catching even 1 of those 100 blades on the face pretty much seals the fight. Even a regular swing of the axe/gs hurts pretty badly.

Their health on the other hand is fairly high. High enough to take about 8 full dose of back stabs. Okay may be not 8, but definitely around 6.1 ish… if all of them hit from the back. Not to mention great mobility, block and innate regeneration.

Thoughts?

(edited by Bud.5617)

in Thief

Posted by: pantsforbirds.9032

pantsforbirds.9032

What kind of build are you running? The only way you are going to beat this buid is to abuse evades and blinds. I personally run s/p in tpvp so i strip their stability (if they even use it) with steal and then just pistolwhipping them (that stun is really kitten warriors), and if i see the warrior swap from greatsword to mace/shield dodge. They will usually shield bash or skull crack you as soon as they swap. Every time they are in mace/shield i fight them in blinding powder or i kite them with shortbow. I use lyssa runes, so when they are low i pop basi venom, giving myself stability and i go for the pistolwhip/autoattack down and stomp. If you use sword mainhand really make sure to have shadow return up the entire fight. If the warrior hits you with skullcrack let him start hundred blades and then use shadow return as soon as he does. Hundred blades will go on cooldown and he wont be able to do his burst on you (i have a 2 second daze on steal traited on my build so if i have to shadow step out i wait until the warrior gets close to me and i daze them with steal right before he attacks me. this will usually daze him long enough for my stun to wear off and allow me to continue the fight).

Some things to note:

If he has the reflect on block trait do not use p/x or shield on him while he is blocking, or you will kill yourself

If you are x/d take the blind on stealth trait and if you are x/p use blinding powder to destroy his ability to attack you (they dont have a ranged weapon)

ranged attacks can destroy this build

Thief: Rand x Al Thor | Mesmer: Egwene x Alvere
Dragonbrand |Twitch: twitch.tv/pantsforbirds

in Thief

Bud.5617

What kind of build are you running? The only way you are going to beat this buid is to abuse evades and blinds. I personally run s/p in tpvp so i strip their stability (if they even use it) with steal and then just pistolwhipping them (that stun is really kitten warriors), and if i see the warrior swap from greatsword to mace/shield dodge. They will usually shield bash or skull crack you as soon as they swap. Every time they are in mace/shield i fight them in blinding powder or i kite them with shortbow. I use lyssa runes, so when they are low i pop basi venom, giving myself stability and i go for the pistolwhip/autoattack down and stomp. If you use sword mainhand really make sure to have shadow return up the entire fight. If the warrior hits you with skullcrack let him start hundred blades and then use shadow return as soon as he does. Hundred blades will go on cooldown and he wont be able to do his burst on you (i have a 2 second daze on steal traited on my build so if i have to shadow step out i wait until the warrior gets close to me and i daze them with steal right before he attacks me. this will usually daze him long enough for my stun to wear off and allow me to continue the fight).

Some things to note:

If he has the reflect on block trait do not use p/x or shield on him while he is blocking, or you will kill yourself

If you are x/d take the blind on stealth trait and if you are x/p use blinding powder to destroy his ability to attack you (they dont have a ranged weapon)

Ha I guess I was using dagger/(dagger|pistol) combi, but even with blind their hit hurts bad. A random swing takes out almost 2-3k of my health or something close. And this being a thief there’s just a few way to regain that back. I also gotta watch the initiative as I said before, they just keep soaking hit after hit – and running away to regenerate health.

I think it might have been a mace/shield and GS combo.

in Thief

pantsforbirds.9032

Some things to note:

Ha I guess I was using dagger/(dagger|pistol) combi, but even with blind their hit hurts bad. A random swing takes out almost 2-3k of my health or something close. And this being a thief there’s just a few way to regain that back. I also gotta watch the initiative as I said before, they just keep soaking hit after hit – and running away to regenerate health.

I think it might have been a mace/shield and GS combo.

I guess ill just go ahead and make a video against a good greatsword mace/shield warrior. I’ll duel one with s/p, d/p, and d/d condi (maybe s/d) and throw it up on this thread. It’ll probably be up tomorrow sometime.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

yes but do not only put videos where you win in. if you fight him 10 times don’t post only the 1 time you win please. the build is a 1v1 build and should be quite strong so not suprised if the warrior wins you more.

All is vain.

in Thief

pantsforbirds.9032

yes but do not only put videos where you win in. if you fight him 10 times don’t post only the 1 time you win please. the build is a 1v1 build and should be quite strong so not suprised if the warrior wins you more.

Well, lucky for you i have absolutely 0 skills for editing video. I’m not even sure i can edit commentary over the clips, but ill definitely try. It’ll just be unedited clips put together into a short video. And i know for a fact i can win with d/p and s/p, but d/d condi and s/d are going to be much harder for me. So i guess we will just have to see how it goes.

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

the warrior MUST be using healing signet and adrenal health and also high toughness (3900 for WvW, maybe lower for sPvP)

They will still hit hard as a truck – 100% crit rate with unsuspecting foe and signet of rage. also if they’re using lemongrass – runes of melandru – dogged march…-98% condition duration which they should be using.

berserker stance should be used to nullify effects of the blindpowder and burst the thief through it.

if said warrior doesn’t use the optimal spec, it wouldn’t be a fair fight.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

If anyone has any advice on these guys it would be great because i face the same problem, they hit so hard

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Drop Black Powder. You’re now immune to Warrior. Other than that just hit him and dodge frantically when he gets close.

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

Drop Black Powder. You’re now immune to Warrior. Other than that just hit him and dodge frantically when he gets close.

AoE thief from outside the powder…berserker stance….there’s no rule stating the warrior must stand in the black powder.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Something to note is when you are standing in blackpowder the war 100b can still hit you with several hard hits as the blinds cannot be applied fast enough.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

S/P and stun them first/more often. They can’t stun you if they’re stunned. 10/30/0/0/30 with Sleight of Hand.

That’s one way to do it at least.

in Thief

pantsforbirds.9032

Something to note is when you are standing in blackpowder the war 100b can still hit you with several hard hits as the blinds cannot be applied fast enough.

I mainly use the blinding powder when the warrior swaps to mace/shield. I dont mind eating some auto attacks from gs and i can dodge a whirlwind or rush. I’m mainly trying to avoid a shield bash or that 4 second skull crack.

But you are completely right

in Thief

pantsforbirds.9032

S/P and stun them first/more often. They can’t stun you if they’re stunned. 10/30/0/0/30 with Sleight of Hand.

That’s one way to do it at least.

I run the same build in tpvp and its very easy to fight stunlock warriors with it.

in Thief

Bud.5617

I think S/P might work… hmmm but that’s another kinda lame build.

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

I think S/P might work… hmmm but that’s another kinda lame build.

No.
Pommel bash near instant cast. 2 block to prevent stun from pw.
PW cast time 3/4 sec. You cast only 1 pw.

Very hard fight.

Warrior
24k+ hp
3k+ armor
3k attack
35%+ crit damage
70%+ crit chance
500hps

1 Hundred blades – thief died.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNApeRjkOpwBPGPMxBAkCsq6oQJmUPs7u4A-TsAA1CnIqRVjrGTNyas1MIYZxEBA

in Thief

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

S/D. Keep Infiltrator’s Strike/Shadow Return up at all times. Dodge his stuns (if you can) with the high uptime of vigor and endurance regeneration. Use FS and LS as much as possible to avoid stuns and strip boons.

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Black Powder.

Proceed to win.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Yea the only way I can really beat a stunlock mace/shield & GS warrior is if i can place some blinding fields ontop of them before they try to skullcrack or if i have s/d I make sure that i have shadow return from infiltrators strike ready to get out of the 100b
Other then that i usually lose to them sadly enough, it’s a very strong build but I kinda like seeing warriors not garbage anymore, although the healing signet is a bit much and can really push up to the overpowered boundaries.

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Why not place down a field, right before they arrive?

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

My Sword/Dagger sustain build (10/0/30/30/0) with zerker gear has a pretty good win ratio against these Warriors. Good Shadow Return placement is vital especially now that it doesn’t break stun anymore.

Daze a few times with your sneak attack and watch for stability to pop, then steal it with Larcenous and proceed to face stomp. Save steal to shave 33% off their heals with poison if you don’t see a healing signet on them and then burst them down with whirling axe.

I imagine full zerker (traits + equip) will definitely have a difficult time against them.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Honestly, you don’t. Maybe try to permablind them with black powder, but if they have berserker stance, gg.

Stun Warriors are easily one of the most powerful builds in the game at the moment, and unfortunately thief builds aren’t exactly in the top-tier what so ever.

The S/D thief only works if it has other allies to peel for it when it is being focused.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in Thief

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

How do you guys beat them (sPvP)?

They got stun, and then stun, and then stun again. Did I say stun?

Meanwhile catching even 1 of those 100 blades on the face pretty much seals the fight. Even a regular swing of the axe/gs hurts pretty badly.

Their health on the other hand is fairly high. High enough to take about 8 full dose of back stabs. Okay may be not 8, but definitely around 6.1 ish… if all of them hit from the back. Not to mention great mobility, block and innate regeneration.

Thoughts?

I use a stun build on my war, but not power build. most thief’s that kill me usually use pistol and just keep range. a lot of running around and stealth.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

From fighting these builds for a few weeks now it sure feels like it is a hard counter to thieves. Stunbreaks can’t keep up and the build I had the most trouble with combo’d a stun with a 12k eviscerate… ouch. In a 1v1 fight it feels as strong as the pre-nerf phantasm mesmer.

I’m not calling for nerfs but it is pretty frustrating. At least the traditionally underpowered professions are getting some time at the top of the food chain. Both warriors and necros.

Running 10/30/0/0/30 d/p gives me a chance at least. Just can’t let them get the jump on you. It’s a dps race at that point. Basilisk venom + steal daze vs stuns and eviscerate or 100blades.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

(edited by Hype.8032)

in Thief

Posted by: Youkay.5294

Youkay.5294

I’m using a P/D build, that relies on dodge, venom and steal (you can find it here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Post-Your-Build-Thread/page/3#post2338090)

With this build, warriors in general are seldom a problem. The casting of warriors’ stuns are telegraphed noticably before the attack comes in, so it is no problem to dodge, and this build in particular has lots of dodges (I can dodge 6 times in a row without running out of endurance, use evade for dodge and then dodge 2 more times).

My strategy against stunning warriors is to dodge a lot, kite them and put condis on them. With a 20sec CD on steal, I can break stuns, stun them in return, damage and gain life. Very versatile indeed.

Tip against warrior: When I steal against warriors, I use the whirling axe immediately. Since they are dazed, I get quite a few hits on them.