Finally decided to call it quits.

in Thief

Posted by: MyCondolences.8172

MyCondolences.8172

Forgot no one reads if its more then a line.

Balance sucks so taking a break.

(edited by MyCondolences.8172)

in Thief

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

This probably belongs in the general discussion section. While you have some valid points generally speaking farewell post do not do much good. Instead of posting about how your quitting remind Anet you paid for the game and what exactly you want. While it may seem no one is listening they do read some of the post.

As far as part compilation goes it has been said many times over. If you do not like what people are advertising build your own group. The “Heavy Only” is not the norm and you won’t see many players who have played a period longer than 3 months saying that.

Support is appreciated. It just so happens support stats on the other hand are garbage (scaling issues). support builds do have a place (boon spamming, reflects, cc) in PvE. In PvP support stats still have place when bunkering or in WvW when roaming in a small group or a zerg. PvE is not difficult enough for most pugs to care what stats you run.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Thief

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

So you’re complaining because of a game mode which was never meant to be taken in any manner of seriousness (WvW) doesn’t have an even playing field? Ughhh doh? I can take a lvl1 into wvw that handicaps me and my server to begin with.

If anything build variety has increased since launch with nerfs and buffs to every class. Warriors went from complete and utter trash in PvP to a force to be reckoned over the course of a year.

The casual PvP’er is going to complain and whine till healing signet gets nerfed and roams around WvW with a lvl30 staff necro and whines when a lvl80 warrior specced to WRECK condition based builds kills him in the open field.

Your hardcore PvP’er doesn’t have to worry about having the opponent having a slight armor advantage from ascended vs exotic because THEY AREN’T IN WVW, but playing out of Heart of the Mists in which everyone has a level playing field.

Anyone who is actually into hardcore PvP isn’t playing WvW.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

in Thief

Posted by: Herzblut.2864

Herzblut.2864

I can’t agree with him in most of the points…

You said that the gear gab is small but still noticeable, sure it is but not that much.
For me it doesn’t matter if I fight someone with ascended gear or not… I go so far to say that im pretty sure that a minimum of 90% of the players in pve and PvP who have ascended armor (in not talking over the rings and stuff), playing like utter bullkitten.
I like the groups with normals gear and ap more than those high equipped legendary bobs playing like the trashing first timers… And this is 90% of the time the sad case.

Also you say that the balancing is not that good in the game… All games getting patched to death, but that’s not because arena net want it to be like this, its because there is no way to balance a game to the max of 100%. If game mechanics change and ppl gotta think out of their build black box and start learning to play their class instead of smashing 1 or 2 keys over and over again, they all start to cry. We don’t need those faceroll fa***** which gives our classes the bad name. The best examples are warrior and more commonly thief… Warrior because of 100 blades and healing signed, and thief because of heartseeker. I won’t argue about it now I just leave 2 letters and 1 number here if you getting killed by spammed heartseekers and 100 blade regen warriors… L2P!!!
If you can’t handle the balaning patches your free to quit like a few did already, but in the end they try to make the game better. The balanceing gab is in a lot of games much much worse than in gw2.

There is no perfect game on the market and there will never be, still gw2 is one of the good examples of the gaming industry which proved to me, that a non standart game for its time can be a success! They keep to their standards and they stay to their roots of no gear grinding, because for me there is no grind tbh and not gapping the hardcore gamers from the casual. New ppl can equip their char to the teeth in only 2 weeks and that is not much time compared to other games. And they keep the fighting system interresting.
It plays alot more intuitive and arcade, like a old-school beat em up than an traditional mmorpg.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you good luck with other games which will turn out to be p2w if they are completly free or new games coming out and being patched to death for those complainers anyways in about the first 2 years…

in Thief

Herzblut.2864

And trevis, I’m playing only wvwvw because spvp is overcrowded by farming arenas.
I’m pretty much into hardcore pvping, but spvp doesn’t give me the kicks anymore… Its way more heroic to play the objective in a big scaled battleground than in a small one..

But comparing spvp with wvwvw is Luke comparing CoD and Battlefield… Both great games but no way to “compare” them…

A question of TASTE nothing else!

in Thief

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

And trevis, I’m playing only wvwvw because spvp is overcrowded by farming arenas.
I’m pretty much into hardcore pvping, but spvp doesn’t give me the kicks anymore… Its way more heroic to play the objective in a big scaled battleground than in a small one..

But comparing spvp with wvwvw is Luke comparing CoD and Battlefield… Both great games but no way to “compare” them…

A question of TASTE nothing else!

Then avoid the public lobbies and do team arenas and solo arenas. No farming in there granted it takes forever to get matches now that they messed with it but still. WvW was and never will be fair in any sense. It’s like getting yelled at for going into a 5v5 fight in WvW with 20 people in a zerg who then wipe the other people.

Also in what way shape or form does ascended gear pander to the hardcore players than the casuals? I’d put myself somewhere in between the middle of the 2 categories and I’m slowly working my way to my full set of ascended armor for my warrior (currently 4/6 waiting on laurels and materials to finish it out).

Yes the hardcore player is going to have it sooner than your casual player (seriously though this is always the case unless you’ve got this casual who is lucky to get 6 of the same armor type boxes to drop) but the stat-gain is so minimal that it’s more than negligible unless you’ve got 2 people of exactly even skill, same build and same playstyles WHICH YOU NEVER WILL than that minimal gain is going to be noticeable.

But comparing the 2 is actually doable other than the fact that its pretty much PvE but with kittens from other servers trying to kill you.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

in Thief

Herzblut.2864

Sure tournament is something else, but spvp has no value anymore. GW1 had no farm spots, and made those animations a great increase for your fame ingame, now its only the fact some players know you and your style, others dont and still claim to have the rank to play with the big ones. Im only rank 30 or somewhere around that, im pretty good in spvp, not claiming im the best, because im not attracted to it. Still in pug games (no random farm arenas) im playing the objective, not only for the kills.

It always differs from taste to taste, and WvW will never be as fair as Spvp is. When we talk about fair its the fact that most of the brainless soldier kittens following the blue lantern and steamrolling over the weak. But there are some fights which are actualy pretty fun and a single person and a single stimp can change the fight and its outcome. Theres to many variables in WvW compared to spvp which can make a difference over a large timescale, its imense.

im not judgeing the players which like Spvp over WvW, or PvE over SpvP or whatever combination you can imagine, for my taste theres just to many players, copy a build of the forum because someone can play it great because he is used to it and complain when they dont get any kills or feel weak just because they cant handle it.

Its not because his AP is 12k+, or he has reached ascended gear armor, its more the fact that i think he playes between casual and standart, not standart and hardcore.

For me it doesnt make a change if i go with all exotic gear into wvw or pve, or have my ascended gear on. Sure fights takes longer but the outcome is mostly the same. No big difference at all.

in Thief

MyCondolences.8172

I’m not complaining about the grind to get ascended gear, I’ve played alot more grinding/time consuming games then this. Its just the fact that their original philosophy was the exact opposite. Atleast how i remember it, they were opposed to forcing ppl to grind for any advantage in game play, those who had time to grind had the cooler looking armor and weapons but no advantage over the casual player.

And anyone who says there’s anything close to class balance in PvE has got to be kidding. During my numerous dungeon runs i have, not had 1 necro in my party, had the rare engi, ranger or ele, thiefs a bit more commonly and nearly 90% of them were either guardian, warrior or mesmer. Mesmer being at the bottom of the list but still quite common. There is a clear distinction if classes performance in pve and anyone trying to argue that point is just trolling.

in Thief

MyCondolences.8172

And personally i find sPvP to be boring. I feel no emotional attachment or excitement from playing it. In other games i could feel the adrenaline from an intense fight. Here i feel absolutely nothing. Maybe its because the matches are too quick, too random and too frequent for me to form any rivalries or respect for other players. I just dont find myself challenged like i was in other games and honestly i’m not even that good at pvp here so that leaves alot of room for improvement. I just dont feel any reason to.

in Thief

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Yes I think you should Quit. I also think you should upgrade your PC and pre-order Witcher 3. We can be witcher 3 friends, come walk with me.

in Thief

Herzblut.2864

Thats basicly because full berserker Warrior and Guardian groups worked well before it was tryed with other classes.

Im doin pug groups for Dungeons the last few Months and i got mixed groups all the time. Most of the time Something like (Thief/Mesm/[Warrior//Guard]/Hunter/Nekro), but yesterday i did Arah with (Thief/Thief/Mesm/Mesm/Warrior) and it worked awesome with a pug group. Same for Fractals or other Dungeons.

Its the same problem like it was with Divinity Runes… 75% of the noobs claim its the best rune ingame, but the real streanght it had was just a bug nothing else, it got fixed, its still good but not half as great or op like it was before.

And for the Gear grind, sure they will add up some new gear making it harder to aquire, but what makes the difference? the Higher amount of Defence? a Joke, the higher amount of Stats, not even noticeable.

The Buff food is way more noticeable than a whole set of Ascended armor ingame.
And nobody is forced to rush to it. All players which rush for the Ascended Gear make it because the want to do it like this. I have ascended Accecoirs, and the rest is still exotic. And i think we still need some even more hardmode for PvE… We could form a group out of green equipped or even blue and can still do WvW or Pve Dungeons and having no problems.

in Thief

MyCondolences.8172

@Herzblut, if your happy with the state of the game, then great. I personally think they have a lot of work to do with balancing. I’ll be keeping an eye out because this was my 2nd favourite game, after ragnarok online so if the make things more interesting again i’ll come back.

in Thief

Herzblut.2864

Ragnarok ^^ one of those games with alot of grinding ^^ hf brah !

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

their original philosophy was the exact opposite.

yes.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

I’m taking a brake atm. I cant play Gw2 for very long, I play to have fun and Gw2 only gets me frustrated. So I play Gw2 for a week or two then go back to SWTOR or DOTA2 and a couple of Betas I’m playing right now.

I agree that Gw2 use to be better that it is now and with every patch it only gets worse. In time ill probably stop playing it at all just like you.

See you around in some other game!

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

A former RO-player! =0

Well then, have fun with your break. Maybe you’ll miss GW2 soon and come back.

Oh and also, I’m not sure but… aren’t such topics against the forum rules?

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

This topic is against the rules, and tbh, no one really gives a kitten if you quit or not.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

A former RO-player! =0

yeah they are but the office is closed and ppl are at home, the last thing thay wanna do is log on the forum xD

It will probably be deleted next year though

in Thief

MyCondolences.8172

A former RO-player! =0

yeah they are but the office is closed and ppl are at home, the last thing thay wanna do is log on the forum xD

It will probably be deleted next year though

I honestly doubt they even read the thief forums. We are the red headed step childs of GW2 that they wish they kept locked up in the basement.

edit: I’m curious as to what rule i’m breaking? Skimmed through the code of conduct and didnt see anything.

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

OP, you are not alone.

Nor will you be the last.

As long….

Favoritism Prevails.

Injustice Reigns

Oppression are Enforced

Justice is Silenced

Freedom is Suppressed

There will be no change

“There is no greater tyranny
than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of the law
and in the name of justice.”

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Thief

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

Can I have your stuff?

in Thief

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

My condolences…

in Thief

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Honestly, from a outside perspective, thieves are not in a bad place. Just like rangers, they could use some buffs mainly in the team/group support area.

I think, seen from an objective POV, that the thief playerbase must look towards developing team/group support builds, and think less about slippery stealth and 3-hit-kill builds. Stop being negative, thieves are far from the only profession who gets nerfed. Happens to rangers in every patch there is thanks to rangers being strong in sPvP.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Thief

TheGuy.3568

Honestly, from a outside perspective, thieves are not in a bad place. Just like rangers, they could use some buffs mainly in the team/group support area.

I think, seen from an objective POV, that the thief playerbase must look towards developing team/group support builds, and think less about slippery stealth and 3-hit-kill builds. Stop being negative, thieves are far from the only profession who gets nerfed. Happens to rangers in every patch there is thanks to rangers being strong in sPvP.

Our situation is a bit different than rangers. For one in most dungeons we are perfectly fine with a slew of builds. We still do strong single target DPS and are coupled well with any class that drop fields often (SB #2). Smoke screen is good for blocking projectiles (with reflecting them being one of the best support in the game) Dagger Storm can work well too if the team is organized. Stealth to skip trash is still useful as are stealth rezes. Spamming weakness vs trash is also a plus.

Rangers generally think frost spirit, spotter, and healing spring are their best support (debatable as they do bring buffs to the table as well).

Warrior & guardian have been the top PvE class mostly due the their ease of play. Speaking personally i do not find another class as useful to the team as a well played guardian but that is fine. There are going to be classes that are better in PvE than other classes. The only thing that matter is that a class does not become useless in PvE. Group support slowly but surely has been upped little by little for each class. I imagine venom shares buff (not really useful in PvE) was their attempt to make us more group oriented. As we are no thieves are fine in dungeons.

Kor The Cold Heart War

in Thief

Prysin.8542

Our situation is a bit different than rangers. For one in most dungeons we are perfectly fine with a slew of builds. We still do strong single target DPS and are coupled well with any class that drop fields often (SB #2). Smoke screen is good for blocking projectiles (with reflecting them being one of the best support in the game) Dagger Storm can work well too if the team is organized. Stealth to skip trash is still useful as are stealth rezes. Spamming weakness vs trash is also a plus.

Rangers generally think frost spirit, spotter, and healing spring are their best support (debatable as they do bring buffs to the table as well).

Warrior & guardian have been the top PvE class mostly due the their ease of play. Speaking personally i do not find another class as useful to the team as a well played guardian but that is fine. There are going to be classes that are better in PvE than other classes. The only thing that matter is that a class does not become useless in PvE. Group support slowly but surely has been upped little by little for each class. I imagine venom shares buff (not really useful in PvE) was their attempt to make us more group oriented. As we are no thieves are fine in dungeons.

Personally, speaking from an outside view, i think thieves should get stronger effects, and possibly MORE effects added to the venom. Either through traits, or straight buff.

An indirect buff, which would help loads in making thieves viable is making their Signet of Assassination (correct me if im wrong) apply its +15% damage to a group of players. Increase the CD a bit.
If nothing else, this would open up thieves for speed-runs.

SB should bounce up to 5 times to compensate for the lack of proper AE.

Thieves should get a new off-hand weapon. A mace would not be a bad suggestion. As cut-throats all over the world has always had a thing for bashing peoples head in. If we were to give thieves a better balance between CC and DPS without forcing them into pidgeonholed builds or hybrid setups, they can slowly have their main damage slightly reduced (backstab maxing out at 8k and not 12k).
When you tune down the insane single target DPS, making it just crazy high single target DPS, you get rid of A LOT of whiners and other issues that stand between you, and future buffs/proper balancing.

in Thief

TheGuy.3568

Personally, speaking from an outside view, i think thieves should get stronger effects, and possibly MORE effects added to the venom. Either through traits, or straight buff.

An indirect buff, which would help loads in making thieves viable is making their Signet of Assassination (correct me if im wrong) apply its +15% damage to a group of players. Increase the CD a bit.
If nothing else, this would open up thieves for speed-runs.

SB should bounce up to 5 times to compensate for the lack of proper AE.

Thieves should get a new off-hand weapon. A mace would not be a bad suggestion. As cut-throats all over the world has always had a thing for bashing peoples head in. If we were to give thieves a better balance between CC and DPS without forcing them into pidgeonholed builds or hybrid setups, they can slowly have their main damage slightly reduced (backstab maxing out at 8k and not 12k).
When you tune down the insane single target DPS, making it just crazy high single target DPS, you get rid of A LOT of whiners and other issues that stand between you, and future buffs/proper balancing.

In speed runs we are already fine our single target DPS in buffed group falls in the top three along with LH ele and and full /s phant mesmer.

A 5 bounce is unlikely (given that it is an auto attack) and at near melee range cluster bomb is strong AoE even in power builds.

Nerfing thief DPS more than it has already been nerfed in the last year would hurt thief more in PvE than anything else. The whiners you speak of have had each skill on the DD set (save death blossom) nerfed either directly or indirectly already. In fact S/P pistol whip is still damage reduced after a full year. We already ate the damage reduction.

CC is nigh useless in PvE due to defiant stacks and even if they did up our CC it wouldn’t match or even compare to warrior (given that it is aoe and relatively easy to spam).

You seem to be under the assumption that thief is not a burst class. As it has been stated before the only way to lower backstab further is literally up our auto attack dps and that won’t happen as auto attack DPS across the board is too high as it is. Lowering our sustained for a small boost to venoms without even adding cleave is just nonsense and would reflect the nerfs we ate in PvE already for the sake of PvP.

Edit

As far as Mace as a cc weapon. Either the initiative cost would have to be insanely large or they would keep it cheap but the stun duration would be low. Either way hard cc & initiative or cc & no cd do not mix.

Kor The Cold Heart War

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

in Thief

Prysin.8542

Thief is a burst profession, but so is warrior. The thing is, what differentiates warrior and thief atm in this sense is…. nothing. If we look away from thieves being able to go invisible.

Now, how about redoing the whole system, so the thief, instead of being able to put out one massive strike, to put out 2-3-4 nearly as massive strikes, repeatedly?…

By changing how the weapons and combos work. To make it more brutal, but not as carefree and easy as it can be as it is. How about, instead of just 2 class mechanics (initiative and stealth), you gain a third?
That you can roll with a long CD multi strike “F2/F3” strike that varies between the weapon combos? The ability to just overpower, without much chance of resistance ,at the cost of having the “standard” max spike damage reduced by a mere 3-4k.

As for Mace… it could be made defensive by giving it some sort of parry ability. So instead of blocking you instantly retaliates with a KB/KD attack. And ofc, a massive burst on Nr 3, not spammable, but devastating, perhaps, a even more intriguing effect?! Medium damage, but unblockable?

EDIT:
Every profession can burst crazy high numbers. My ranger can put out nearly 22k if spec’d for it. However what discerns an annoying form of perma burst (current thief system) and a high amount of bursts (warrior) is that both kitten es off people because both professions, even in slightly tanky gear, does very high damage with normal strikes.

Aslong as you do high + super high damage, you will see no buffs in areas that need it because area X is so bursty and OP that if they buff area Y or Z everything with the profession will be borderline OP in some way.
This is what happened to warrior. They upped the CC on a profession with good CC. End result is a profession that performs too strong in too many ways at the same time, with practically no risk.
That is not a good place to be, as it will eventually get sudden and huge nerfs that completely turns things around, and as far as my knowledge of thieves goes, you guys have had enough “big changes” for a while. And i know some of them changes has been particularily negative.

(edited by Prysin.8542)

in Thief

TheGuy.3568

Thief is a burst profession, but so is warrior. The thing is, what differentiates warrior and thief atm in this sense is…. nothing. If we look away from thieves being able to go invisible.

Read the whole thing but that alone lets me know you really do not know what you are talking about. You didn’t read my post and I do not think you understand how thief is played especially in PvE. If you read the OP he literally complains about this BS pertaining to PvP balance (which we have been nerfed in repeatedly) spilling over to PvE. Your suggestions are the same.

Kor The Cold Heart War

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

in Thief

Prysin.8542

Read the whole thing but that alone lets me know you really do not know what you are talking about. You didn’t read my post and I do not think you understand how thief is played especially in PvE. If you read the OP he literally complains about this BS pertaining to PvP balance (which we have been nerfed in repeatedly) spilling over to PvE. Your suggestions are the same.

Ranger has almost been ran into the ground repeatedly over that same reason. Being too strong in PvP.
What you must find is a middle ground. Sacrifice the extremes, at the cost of getting an extreme overall DPS. That way you can retain high damage bursts, but you get more consistent high bursts.
Ok, so CnD + Backstab does 2-3k less damage? What should be done in such a case? Decrease ini cost, and or buff CnD.
Say, add 5 stacks of vulnerability for each “slice” of HP missing. Kinda like heartseeker. Punishing lower HP levels.
Warning, these numbers are only illustrative and subject to my own personal opinion
100-75% HP = 5 stacks
75-50% = 10 stacks
50-25% = 15 stacks

What does this mean?
It gives you group “support”, and DPS. While allowing for the direct skill damage to be reduced. In reality, you MAY still reach 10k+ against glassy targets. You are just not guarantied it.
What you are guarantied, is massively increasing the overall damage and efficiency you do in PvE.

Another effect that COULD be added, was a new Elite venom/GM trait that allows a form of “explosive damage gathering” to be done.
Please let me explain.
If you have seen the anime Bleach, you might have noticed a ninja with some funny pointy finger-blade that instakills people if it stabs people in the same place twice.
Now, adding that would be lame and plagiarism. However say a venom, in this case Basilisk Venom are altered in a shape that allows all damage done to the victim, while still in stone form, are accumulated and multiplied by 1.5-2 as a “stone shatter” effect. Naturally, cooldowns and the such and or ICD’s for a trait would have to take the strenght of such a system into effect.
However, in solo/small group play in open world against champs or veterans, or in dungeons. This would be a boon, as you could apply this “state” use haste and unleash as many strikes as possible, for a grand “explosion”. Naturally all your friends DPS counts in. Making it exceptionally strong, BUT ALSO, helping you defeat enemies that would normally take a long time, and a lot of dodging to survive.

I also believe, thieves need to be able to steal better stuff with F1. I do have a low level thief and it is indeed a pain to level in PvE. So i stick with karma trains in WvW.

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I didn’t take the time to read your post as a disclaimer. I skimmed it a bit.

These types of posts really shouldn’t exist, frankly. There are threads that discuss each of your points in the general discussion and honestly you haven’t contributed anything to the thief forums or community to the point where anyone would consider you an important loss. Not only that, but people like Jumper/Caed/Yishis/Mugi would simply put out a video and not bother with the thief forums, and only give a reason why they won’t be creating GW2-related content anymore. I’m sorry that you feel the way you do, but in all honesty you’re one of thousands that come and go each day.

in Thief

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

So you’re complaining because of a game mode which was never meant to be taken in any manner of seriousness (WvW) doesn’t have an even playing field? Ughhh doh? I can take a lvl1 into wvw that handicaps me and my server to begin with.

If anything build variety has increased since launch with nerfs and buffs to every class. Warriors went from complete and utter trash in PvP to a force to be reckoned over the course of a year.

The casual PvP’er is going to complain and whine till healing signet gets nerfed and roams around WvW with a lvl30 staff necro and whines when a lvl80 warrior specced to WRECK condition based builds kills him in the open field.

Your hardcore PvP’er doesn’t have to worry about having the opponent having a slight armor advantage from ascended vs exotic because THEY AREN’T IN WVW, but playing out of Heart of the Mists in which everyone has a level playing field.

Anyone who is actually into hardcore PvP isn’t playing WvW.

Sir what are you talking about ? The mists lobby is pretty much dead , in fact WvW is the only lasting good PvP mode out there. Since spvp lacks serious game modes and is basically the same 5 feet square map since game launch.

Only thing active in spvp nowdays is Hotjoin look it up.

play hard , go pro.