Fix flanking strike! Suggestions?

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfbrand.6523

Wolfbrand.6523

What an awesome skill! It’s a shame Flanking Strike doesn’t have many practical applications other than as a utility boon removal. It would be quite awesome if the pathing was fixed, the damaged was increased, and perhaps it was sped up a bit.

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’d prefer more evade time and sped up over more damage. Don’t want FS to become S/D’s heartseeker.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: Lofat.2406

Lofat.2406

Flanking strike worked good for me. Just have to time it right. Might work to add an interrupt to it though.

P Sutton – 80 Warrior
Ferg Crossing

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

It should track better and steal boons.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: Blacksarevok.8104

Blacksarevok.8104

They should just make it instantly teleport you behind the target, then provide x amount of time of evasion. Alternatively, they could do something like….make both attacks instant and simultaneous, and give a block.

I think the ability does good damage, it just needs to deliver it faster.

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

I actually like the skill … I use it alot for boonripping or evading when my dodges are up .. kitten me right

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

There are many skills like FS that have bad tracking and don’t land, Anet didn’t fix any and I doubt they will ever do – if there was a solution it would be done by now.
The fact they never commented on this issue is proof enough for me.

in Thief

Posted by: Scarn.6810

Scarn.6810

I actually like the skill … I use it alot for boonripping or evading when my dodges are up .. kitten me right

I too like it. After a bit of practice, it’s pretty easy to know when/how you can land it. It’s a good situational and position dependent skill.

Thief, Maguuma

in Thief

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

I like it the way it is as well there is just one change I would like. Swap the effects around so the 1st hit rips a boon and the 2nd hit is unblockable. Currently the unblockable aspect of it kind of sucks.

in Thief

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

They really just need to fix the pathing and the skill will be great. Seriously increase in damage? The second hit hits as hard as cloak and dagger (the PvE version, not the nerfed sPvP version). If both hits crit you can hit for 9-10k with it.

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Actually I find it’s all fine. Fs isn’t that hard to make work at all.
Just wish the 2nd hit removed a boon or was unblockable.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in Thief

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

I like it the way it is as well there is just one change I would like. Swap the effects around so the 1st hit rips a boon and the 2nd hit is unblockable. Currently the unblockable aspect of it kind of sucks.

The first hit it unblockable to be able to remove boons through Aegis. Honestly, I prefer it that way since there are better ways of doing damage.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Love using the skill to rip off a big stack of might or stability from enemies.
Seeing them run all confidently at you with their boons… and then laugh when they are running away crying..

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

It’s supposed to be hard to hit with. S/D is a high skill weapon-set.

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

in Thief

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

The first hit it unblockable to be able to remove boons through Aegis. Honestly, I prefer it that way since there are better ways of doing damage.

Ah I see, I don’t know why I always assumed one removed and the other was unblock-able. So the first hit does both and the 2nd is just pure damage..

in Thief

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

I actually have grown to really like Flanking Strike, the biggest game changer for me was figuring out when to use it and the fact that you can move on the second strike, making it easier to hit.

When it crits, it can do some serious damage. Not backstab damage, but it is at least quickly repeatable, and can sometimes be much easier to land than Crippling Strike. Maybe if it had a higher crit chance on the second strike I’d consider using it more often.

in Thief

Posted by: Blitz of Spades.1960

Blitz of Spades.1960

yeah. they really need to fix the mechanics of the skill. it always rolls to the side and just misses.

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

yeah. they really need to fix the mechanics of the skill. it always rolls to the side and just misses.

Turn your back to your opponent before using it, will land the 1st strike almost every time, and you can re-position before second strike.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I like the skill almost as it is, I just wish it would do more than just roll to the right all the time. I’d like a little variety to the direction you roll in. Perhaps it could alternate direction each time you used it or it could move to the side that matched your movement direction the closest (so if you was moving to the left slightly (including left forward or left back) you would move to the left of your target). Or, if the enemy’s back was closer to your left of you than your right, you would roll that way instead.

Personally, I would like to see more control over which direction you rolled in. Then I would be completely happy with it.

I like the idea of shadow stepping behind your target, but I kind of like the fact you do a dodge roll, making it more an act of agility than trickery. And seeing as we already have a shadow step on skill 2, I think having another on FS would be a little too much shadow stepping for my taste.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Flanking Strike, in it’s current incarnation, is kind of a “dummy check”. Those who can’t pull it off are probably not ready for that weapon set as a whole just yet. It should stay as is.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

Got no problem with it.
Lol at dodging Eviscerate with Flanking strike. Oh I bet dat war was mad as hell. Feels good man. I would like if it removed a 2nd boon on the final hit but that’s just me.
Only thing with S/D is the off-hand ain’t that great right now. Dancing daggers doesn’t pull as much weight, but other then that it’s quite fine. Flanking strike is hardly what is holding it back.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Got no problem with it.
Lol at dodging Eviscerate with Flanking strike. Oh I bet dat war was mad as hell. Feels good man. I would like if it removed a 2nd boon on the final hit but that’s just me.
Only thing with S/D is the off-hand ain’t that great right now. Dancing daggers doesn’t pull as much weight, but other then that it’s quite fine. Flanking strike is hardly what is holding it back.

I dunno, having that ranged snare has prevented a couple of escapees in the past. Quite frequently after a warrior will do his “wilson charge” GS bit I’ll follow with infiltrators strike to close the gap then nail them with dancing dagger’s snare to get back on them.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Got no problem with it.

err, CnD -> Tactical Strike “ain’t that great”? With Flanking Strike, you can be a really annoying Thief compliment with Sleight of Hands.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Got no problem with it.

err, CnD -> Tactical Strike “ain’t that great”? With Flanking Strike, you can be a really annoying Thief compliment with Sleight of Hands.

Try teaming up with a GS warrior, you lock the target down he blows them up. Stupidly effective at killing everything from mobile eles to bunker guardians.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

Got no problem with it.

I dunno, having that ranged snare has prevented a couple of escapees in the past. Quite frequently after a warrior will do his “wilson charge” GS bit I’ll follow with infiltrators strike to close the gap then nail them with dancing dagger’s snare to get back on them.

It also provides kills. The reality however that doesn’t change the statement. Dancing dagger does not pull as much weight on the other skills on your bar “But other then that it’s quite fine”.

“Dancing daggers doesn’t pull as much weight, but other then that it’s quite fine.”
Reading the sentence that followed, explaining the train of thought would’ve saved you this post.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Got no problem with it.

It also provides kills. The reality however that doesn’t change the statement. Dancing dagger does not pull as much weight on the other skills on your bar “But other then that it’s quite fine”.

“Dancing daggers doesn’t pull as much weight, but other then that it’s quite fine.”
Reading the sentence that followed, explaining the train of thought would’ve saved you this post.

That sentence contradicts your prior sentence thus I ignored it in favor of stating your baseless opinion about “the off-hand ain’t that great " comment.

Just like other 4th-slot weapon skill, the skill is a utility rather than a source of damage (i.e. Pistol 4th skill – Headshot). Even then, Dancing daggers still hits harder incomparison to other 4th-slot weapon skills and has a potential of hitting the same target more than once.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

The pathing definitely needs work.
I only use it when I need to remove stability at the moment because other boons are not worth the relative high chance of it not landing at point blank and the rooting on the 2 strikes after invincibility frames end…

I think a more reliable implementation would be shadow stepping behind the enemy with about 300 effective range and compressing the two hits into a single strike with less animation time and less damage, but with evasion throughout the animation, much like how the evasion works on SB for disabling shot.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

the starting animation is way to slow, most of the times wen you need an evade and use SF you will end up eating the dmg anyway because it takes 1sec from wen you hit the key until it actually evades… its the worst evade skill we have atm. all others evade immediately on key press.