Gear Advice D/D for WvW

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Bleenko.2763

Bleenko.2763

So im kinda lost how to gear my thief for WvW D/D so any advice or suggestions guys
a combination of exotic weaps+armor w/ ascended trinkets and back if possible
thank you very much guys

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Strength runes, strength/air sigil, and some combination of valk/cav/zerk

~15k health
~2.5k armor
~2100 power
~210-220% crit dmg
~40-50% crit chance

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Full berserker and Scholar runes.

Has good condi cleanse and you can heal upwards of 500/s in stealth. You don’t need any survivability in stats.

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It’ll depend a great deal on your build. If you go for the hidden killer trait, you can afford to slot less precision since you can get guaranteed crits on your backstabs. As such, valkyrie and cavalier gear can work well here since it provides you with a more durable foundation so that you don’t keel over in a few hits. You’ll still want to have some precision though so that your non-stealthed attacks can still crit reliably.

If you don’t want to use hidden killer, you’ll have to have a higher investment in precision to ensure you crit often enough, of make sure you can boost it up high enough with consumables or fury boons. I feel it’s usually better to have some sort of defensive stats from valk or cavalier gear since d/d doesn’t have the same mobility options that other weapon sets have, thus you need to put yourself in danger more frequently.

For reference, this is the particular build I’ve always run with: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAoYVlsMp8plOx7JsPNxOBtdAq9E4+EdoEdtDA-TlSBwAPeQAmVCiV53s9HQpvZxRIQyBQQzhAIn6PAOhAECQ3YA-w

Historically, I’ve gone with a valk/zerk combo, although cavalier or knight gear could also fit in well.

I also use runes of the eagle, but now that runes of strength were buffed to godlike status you should probably try and get those. I believe they’ll probably receive some sort of nerf though, so careful if you want to dump 100+ gold on a full set. Things like eagle, scholar, or pack runes can also be decent choices, but I’d also recommend traveler runes. The latter ensure that you aren’t left plodding after your opponent trying to catch up, and it means you don’t have to sacrifice a utility skill slot to keep your movement speed up. I have a problem with the eagle runes sometimes in that I’m just too slow, so I’ll often have to swap a utility out for signet of shadows, which sucks.

In any case, it’ll largely depend on your particular build as well as your personal preferences.

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

~15k health
~2.5k armor
~2100 power
~210-220% crit dmg
~40-50% crit chance

This is what I use. I also have precision stack from bow since your crit chance is lower than with zerker and bow is just movement weapon anyway.

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

what do you guys think about this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAoaVlsMp0plPx7JsPNBNhw9oaz8O83yaFA-T1BFABCcKFQS5XJ7Pkm+GAeSBFq+zVKBDAgAcz2sNvZ28m38mP6RP6RP6R7m38m38m3sUApsMC-w

The spec I desire to play in tpvp, however the cap mechanics dont favour stealth, so its only WvW…

Anyways, I find it really ‘thief-like’ lots of control and defensive mechanics, condi removal, etc. Tricky as hell, just like the thief should be imho. Missing a lot of dmg increasing traits though, but full zerker gear will make up for that. (Not to mention, that with scholar runes you can bring your PvE gear along too. But str. runes are better I guess. —> Thrill of Crime + Hidden Assassin)

ty

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

~15k health
~2.5k armor
~2100 power
~210-220% crit dmg
~40-50% crit chance

This is what I use. I also have precision stack from bow since your crit chance is lower than with zerker and bow is just movement weapon anyway.

Hey yo.

You can also free a sigil from your shortbow (and maybe go for sigil of energy or something) and equipping your precision stacking sigil on your water-weapon in stead. You always carry it around, but almost never use it.

I’m not sure if this works now, (?) but I used it about a month ago.

Yay for freeing up a sigil on your shortbow, right?

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

To much effort for me to be honest. Not normally at full stacks anyway or needing them. But it is a very good tip, not sure if it works anymore, seem to loose all stacks the moment I touch water.

Gear Advice D/D for WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

what do you guys think about this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAoaVlsMp0plPx7JsPNBNhw9oaz8O83yaFA-T1BFABCcKFQS5XJ7Pkm+GAeSBFq+zVKBDAgAcz2sNvZ28m38mP6RP6RP6R7m38m38m3sUApsMC-w

The spec I desire to play in tpvp, however the cap mechanics dont favour stealth, so its only WvW…

Anyways, I find it really ‘thief-like’ lots of control and defensive mechanics, condi removal, etc. Tricky as hell, just like the thief should be imho. Missing a lot of dmg increasing traits though, but full zerker gear will make up for that. (Not to mention, that with scholar runes you can bring your PvE gear along too. But str. runes are better I guess. —> Thrill of Crime + Hidden Assassin)

ty

I think I need to add to this, so:

First of all, do you think its complete BS? Taking 6 points in 2 utility traitlines is just over the top? Except for the newest S/D build, all zerker thief builds used to rely on CS traitline. CS+DA for PvE, CS+SA for WvW, CS+Tri for spvp, or Jumper’s old 1/6/0/6/0 S/D build, etc. And considering the the variety of possible strategies (take all the abilities a 1/6/0/0/6 P/D thief has and add all the tricks to that, that a WvW thief has) – it is just stunning to me how much control you get over the course of actions in a fight.

My thoughts for alternatives:

- could take stealth on steal trait from SA (works well with the lowered Steal CD) – though I have more than enough ways to gain stealth with this build, so I didnt take it

-could go D/D + SB instead of D/P + SB

Having added all this – I hope my idea is much more ready for discussion.

ty

enthusiastic noob