Give thieves off-hand sword

in Thief

Posted by: Taka.1264

Taka.1264

Hi guys, I’m just wondering why thieves don’t have acces to off-hand sword? It’ll be like a dual blades ninja style and it’ll look amazing !

I would Anet give us this off-hand weapon with some nice skills like 3 : death blossom but with sword and reworked, or block and then (if blocking ) death blossom (without the dodge).

I’m not sure about the skills, I just want this for the style my thief will get !

Sorry for my bad english, this is not my first language…

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

+Swords gotta be on the back not on the sides.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Rassase.7943

Rassase.7943

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

in Thief

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

I rather be able to draw my swords before getting cut to ribbons, leave them on the side :P

in Thief

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Not exactly this, but I suggested a long time ago that all weapons sheathe on back. They look extremely ugly on the sides. Certain armours make them look even worse because of the angle of the armour where the weapons are held. Some end up facing away from your leg at a 45 degree angle and it’s such an eye sore.

All weapons should be sheathed on backs, even dual wielded weapons. Crossed Swords on back etc.

in Thief

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

I would like for ANet to give a “Free Hand” option to Thieves. A full skill set around a single weapon (You still need an off-hand weapon equipped to benefit from the stats, though).

I hate, hate, HATE how all games pigeon hole Thieves into dual wielding monkeys. I know its just a game, but dual wielding is NOT a practical form of fighting in real life, and I would like for more of a non-stealth Evasive//Grapple/Parry-Riposte style play with an “empty offhand” fighting style.

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Not exactly this, but I suggested a long time ago that all weapons sheathe on back. They look extremely ugly on the sides. Certain armours make them look even worse because of the angle of the armour where the weapons are held. Some end up facing away from your leg at a 45 degree angle and it’s such an eye sore.

All weapons should be sheathed on backs, even dual wielded weapons. Crossed Swords on back etc.

Especially dual wielded weapons!

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

You have to have the fastest reflexes in the game to be granted dual wielding.

in Thief

Posted by: Butch.4957

Butch.4957

Dual wield sword would be amazing! I have considered making a warrior only because they can dual wield swords lol. (before you say anything, yes. I know mesmers can dual wield swords and I have one that I love but I do not use all that much just because it is easy.)

in Thief

Posted by: Zahrexsiiszb.8472

Zahrexsiiszb.8472

nice idea to have off hand sword, but that crossed swords on back, that would be amazing, with Rox´s quiver .. !! cmon Anet….

What an amazing game it would be, if you can choose to have one handed weapons as swords/axes/maces on your sides or on your back

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

What if they added a copy of Cloak and Dagger to Sword Off-hand except it gave stability and protection instead of stealth and vulnerability? .-.

I would like for ANet to give a “Free Hand” option to Thieves. A full skill set around a single weapon (You still need an off-hand weapon equipped to benefit from the stats, though).

I hate, hate, HATE how all games pigeon hole Thieves into dual wielding monkeys. I know its just a game, but dual wielding is NOT a practical form of fighting in real life, and I would like for more of a non-stealth Evasive//Grapple/Parry-Riposte style play with an “empty offhand” fighting style.

Honestly this is how I feel with all games. Wielding only a dagger in one hand or even both hands just looks cool. They could always add 2 handed daggers, which actually makes sense it’s just certain attacks use both hands to stab harder and if Spear can do it why not. Alibaba in the anime “Magi” fights like that. :P Best dagger wielder ever.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

I rather be able to draw my swords before getting cut to ribbons, leave them on the side :P

it would be quite difficult to sneak with the Ortband of the scabbard scratching over the ground

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in Thief

Posted by: Xytl.8659

Xytl.8659

I completely support this. Would love to see a dual 1h weapon set, and in fact even have some suggestions for skills.

slot 2 skill: pretty much the opposite of Infiltrators Strike, you would pull the target towards you (similar to the Scorpion Wire) and apply either immobilize or vulnerability

slot 3 skill: similar to pistol whip, but less hits dealing higher base damage (about the same total damage as pistol whip) – this makes skill execution shorter, and your potential single target burst damage higher, but would lower sustained burst damage by eating all of your initiative so quickly

slot 4 skill: some kind of very short daze to interrupt (closest thing I can think of is Headshot)

slot 5 skill: something similar to Roll for Initiative or Burning Retreat (the elementalist fire staff roll) to get you out of combat quickly

Thoughts?

Aratyl ~Gate of Madness
Co-Leader of the Get Fresh Crew

in Thief

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

it would be quite difficult to sneak with the Ortband of the scabbard scratching over the ground

If the scabbard is dragging on the ground from the waist it is not actually physically possible to draw it from the back in the way that you are thinking. Not that we don’t break that notion every time we use a greatsword, but still, that’s a silly argument you’re making.

Aesthetically I’m okay with Sword/Dagger though; the daggers in this game are kind of ridiculously large that I just pretend they are shortswords held backwards for massive cool-points. Dual-Swords would make me feel better though, provided ANET can make a new weaponset without it being pathetically underpowered for a two years (here’s looking at you pistol). While you’re at it, change auto-attack animations to incorporate my off-hand weapon when applicable. I kind of hate how you just hold your other weapon like a trophy for most of the fight.

(edited by Warkupo.1025)

in Thief

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

Please… staaaaahp… rapier + dagger, saber + dagger, tomahawk + knife, axe + seax in the western world, dual butterfly knives, dual sabers, dual swords, dual axes, dual sais, dual hook swords in the eastern world – your argument about the reality issue is invalid.

in Thief

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

It’s a possibility for the new weapon possibilities they’re planning to introduce.

Though I’m not sure if it fits aesthetically. I mean, Thieves/Assassins typically use daggers, not swords.
I guess it depends on the skills.

in Thief

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

leave daggers and pistols on the sides……finally a game with side sheathe option for small weapons

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

GW2 swords are graphically really big, not ninja daggers at all. They were designed for warrior dual wielding. It will be almost impossible for thieves to deftly wield two of them and not look like an overmuscled beserk warrior. More than that the body mechanics for agile dodging and off hand sword wielding do not go together as you always need to commit your body weight into the off hand strike (unless you’re an overmuscled warrior) and that goes against the concept of a balanced, evasive fighter. If you want to parry and jab with the offhand sword then you should use a dagger, really!

Anyway if you want to look like a dual wielding ninja there are many long daggers that fit your bill.

in Thief

Doggie.3184

GW2 swords are graphically really big, not ninja daggers at all. They were designed for warrior dual wielding. It will be almost impossible for thieves to deftly wield two of them and not look like an overmuscled beserk warrior. More than that the body mechanics for agile dodging and off hand sword wielding do not go together as you always need to commit your body weight into the off hand strike (unless you’re an overmuscled warrior) and that goes against the concept of a balanced, evasive fighter. If you want to parry and jab with the offhand sword then you should use a dagger, really!

Anyway if you want to look like a dual wielding ninja there are many long daggers that fit your bill.

I don’t like when people try to claim ‘logic.’ The Class is Thief, it can do whatever it wants to… It’s a master of improvising in combat and taking down it’s enemies with any weapon it gets its hands on. Sure Assassin is better at it since Anet spiritually deleted Way of the Master by giving us only 4 weapons but whatever. A Thief still picks up and use whatever it wants to, there’s no reason for any limits at all when it comes to what weapon they use.
Some daggers are just as large as swords~especially that new mist one and the fact that you even agree with that goes against your point…. Body mass also has no reason to be put into an argument like this. o.O Not only is it possible IRL but this is a video game where any character appearance can do whatever they want to. My Warrior is scrawny.

My Thief also most likely does more damage than any other class in the game when it comes to picking up an Elementalist’s Greatsword. He doesn’t care how heavy it is. He’s a Thief. He picks up/steals any random thing he sees and masters it against someone’s face.

“If you want to parry and jab with the offhand sword then you should use a dagger, really!” Well ho ho lets just redesign Dagger off-hand then. They’re not going to though so a new off-hand needs to be added. The reason behind Dual Wielding swords IRL is for defense so regardless of what a Dagger can do a Off-Hand sword is still going to parry and since we can’t redesign Dagger off-hand~ well then let’s go. Dual Swords naow.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“I don’t like when people try to claim ‘logic.’”

Try aesthetics then. It will just look bad unless the sword animations look vaguely believable. I had to search around for a sword skin that doesn’t drag through the floor when my thief is just standing around so how those long skins will ever look credible as a parrying weapon is beyond me. You might not think that players understand how much muscle is needed to parry with a longer lever but they will know something is wrong when they see it on screen.

I would actually like a parry as a utility skill instead of a weapon skill on one weapon set. It gets around the all the problems of repeatedly blocking until initiative is drained.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Terrestrial Spear > offhand sword.

in Thief

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I have suggested this so many times.
I’m against ninja style though, it’s absurd.
1-1+2+1-2=1, thief off hand sword confirmed.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

in Thief

Doggie.3184

“I don’t like when people try to claim ‘logic.’”

Try aesthetics then. It will just look bad unless the sword animations look vaguely believable. I had to search around for a sword skin that doesn’t drag through the floor when my thief is just standing around so how those long skins will ever look credible as a parrying weapon is beyond me. You might not think that players understand how much muscle is needed to parry with a longer lever but they will know something is wrong when they see it on screen.

I would actually like a parry as a utility skill instead of a weapon skill on one weapon set. It gets around the all the problems of repeatedly blocking until initiative is drained.

Now you’re falling into the realm of picky opinions. ;/ It’s not something weird or impossible and it’s something that exists in other games already.

in Thief

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Please… staaaaahp… rapier + dagger, saber + dagger, tomahawk + knife, axe + seax in the western world, dual butterfly knives, dual sabers, dual swords, dual axes, dual sais, dual hook swords in the eastern world – your argument about the reality issue is invalid.

Ahh, thank you. People assume that because they aren’t automatically good at something while LARPing that it somehow means it isn’t effective with proper training.

or they compare it to wielding a sword and shield while forgetting that the shield didn’t conquere the world until it started being used in concert with other shields. Forcing the dual weilder to fight 3-5 opponents rather then just one with a shield. One on one, the best benefit of a shield is that it is effective with minimal training, meaning you can replace that warrior sooner then societies that may produce more skilled warriors but take a lifetime to replace.

in Thief

Posted by: Xytl.8659

Xytl.8659

I suppose this may be true, my opinion may be warped by the fact that I use a Bonetti’s Rapier main hand, so the idea of holding two of those is pretty realistic, since it’s one of the lowest profile swords in the game, but after going through a few of the other swords I see your point, a lot of them would be very unwieldy.

Aratyl ~Gate of Madness
Co-Leader of the Get Fresh Crew

in Thief

McFribble.2349

You want to know what all of the weapons you suggested had in common? Not a single one or combination of them was ever used in war. Dual wielding is nothing but high fantasy that is insanely impractical in reality (like the myths around katanas. They aren’t anything to write home about).

in Thief

Dustfinger.9510

You want to know what all of the weapons you suggested had in common? Not a single one or combination of them was ever used in war. Dual wielding is nothing but high fantasy that is insanely impractical in reality (like the myths around katanas. They aren’t anything to write home about).

Tomohawk/knife were common in war. Tomohawk/club also common. Miyamoto Musashi, long credited for being the greatest swordman in history created a two sword style while advocating that 2 swords is better against multiple opponents while one sword is better against a single opponent. Also sword/jute were common in feudal japan.

The Filipino martial art of escrima also focuses on dual wielding many different kinds of weopons and has been used very effectivey thoughout history in actual war.

Dual wielding is time and battle tested. And can be highly practicle and effective as history has shown as long as you have the training to do so effectively. krav maga also utilizes dual wielding.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Thief

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

Someone obviously doesn’t have the facts about a real katana.
Most people don’t, but that’s to be expected of a weapon that often carries a minimum $150k price tag. In fact dealers of genuine hand made katana wont even sell to just anyone, even if they have the money to pay for them.

Are the knock off and imitation nothing to write home about? You’d be correct but the real deal, that’s a whole nother enchilada.

As to the topic, I’d like to see all weapons opened to all professions personally.

in Thief

Dustfinger.9510

As to the topic, I’d like to see all weapons opened to all professions personally.

This. And a-net did say they are working to make it happen.

in Thief

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

They said they would rather expand existing weapons to other professions before introducing new ones. As it is right now they currently have no plans for expanding them unfortunately.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

in Thief

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

What does that have to do with war? The only professions who have actually something to do with war are warriors (yes – they can dual wield swords, not only an increased coolness factor but also done in the middle ages, not common but there is evidence), guardians and engineers – and all 3 can use shields. But yes, the shield wins big battles – shieldwalls, blocking projectiles and easy to handle for standard actions.

in Thief

McFribble.2349

What does that have to do with war? The only professions who have actually something to do with war are warriors (yes – they can dual wield swords, not only an increased coolness factor but also done in the middle ages, not common but there is evidence), guardians and engineers – and all 3 can use shields. But yes, the shield wins big battles – shieldwalls, blocking projectiles and easy to handle for standard actions.

Well, the ORIGINAL point was that I’m sick of thieves being reduced to dual wielding monkeys in every MMORPG out there. The reasoning is because it isn’t a practical form of fighting, especially for a class designed around THIEVING (hard to pick someone’s pocket when both hands are occupied).

The idea behind dual wielding is nothing but high fantasy (which is fine in Guild Wars, as it is a fantasy game. I just wish we had some more realistic options as well). I would also suggest people stop getting their knowledge about practical weapon use in war and fighting from trashy anime. Fencing is a sport, not a combat style, and most martial arts “weapon training” you see these days are for display purposes for tournaments only (this is coming from someone who has his black belt in martial arts).

in Thief

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Can we have above water spear. That would be amazing.

in Thief

Dustfinger.9510

They said they would rather expand existing weapons to other professions before introducing new ones. As it is right now they currently have no plans for expanding them unfortunately.

They actually said that they are currently working hard at giving all weapons to all classes.

in Thief

Dustfinger.9510

The idea behind dual wielding is nothing but high fantasy

This is false as I have demonstrated.

I would also suggest people stop getting their knowledge about practical weapon use in war and fighting from trashy anime.Fencing is a sport, not a combat style, and most martial arts “weapon training” you see these days are for display purposes for tournaments only (this is coming from someone who has his black belt in martial arts).

I was a hand to hand combat instructor in the Marine Corps. As I said before, escrima urilizes dual wielding and has proven highly effective for centurines even into this modern age.

The modern martial art of krav maga that the Israeli military uses and that the Marine Corps takes from also advocates dual wielding. Your asertions that it is only for high fantasy is plain wrong as it is utilized in modern military training.

meanwhile many of the dual wielding styles from the far east didn’t originate for the purpose of tournaments. They originated for the purpose of self defense. e.g.: Butterfly swords are the length of a human forearm because they were concealable in the sleeve or boots and carried while traveling the dangerous roads.

edit: Any weapon set or style that is effective for single self defense was just fine in barabarian style wars that focused more on the individual prowess of each warrior rather then the group cohesion of phalanx type stratagies. Native Americans are perfect examples of this.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)