Good PvP spec for an ultra noob

in Thief

Posted by: Avipt.9632

Avipt.9632

Ive always loved Thief animation and such, im having trouble in PvE cause i suck so hard with them cause they are squishy sure my guardian are squishy to but i can handle that with aegis and such.
With Thief i just die die die.
But PvP seems fun and i want to be good at it, but i dont know wich weapons and build to use that would suit me.
Any tips? Thief feels like the hardest class to play as :P

in Thief

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Many would agree that thief is hard as hell now compared to all the faceroll instagib in this game since HoT released, esp the AoE ones lol. Its really not for people that expect to live after a single mistake. I suggest starting D/P, check out metabattle.com.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Thief is incredibly difficult right now, nerfed too hard (with no end in sight. guildies taking bets on what they nerf tomorrow =P) but the best vanilla build is meta battle or stealth rezzer (mercy runes, sentinel ammy). The best DD is up to question, but if I fight someone who is pretty bad I can beat em up. If they are half decent, I’m dead.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

For complete noobs? P/D daredevil with dash.

It’s an easy rotation to learn, and you get to spend a lot of time in stealth without also having to do really tricky positioning to use it. Taking dash from daredevil makes you really slippery and the perma-swiftness gives you a tin of get out of jail free cards.

It might not stack up as you advance in rank and get matched against better opponents, but it’s very good for learning enemy skill animations and getting used to the overall flow of using stealth in PvP.

After a while you’ll probably want to graduate to more complex builds like the p/d or new staff stuff that most people run.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Ive always loved Thief animation and such, im having trouble in PvE cause i suck so hard with them cause they are squishy sure my guardian are squishy to but i can handle that with aegis and such.
With Thief i just die die die.
But PvP seems fun and i want to be good at it, but i dont know wich weapons and build to use that would suit me.
Any tips? Thief feels like the hardest class to play as :P

“Thief feels like the hardest class to play as :P”

It is. Get used to it. It won’t get easier.

There’s no upfront defense for thief, so you will need to learn to predict large hits in enemy rotation and dodge them or move physically out of the way/range of the attack.

I don’t know what to tell you about the weapons except that Shortbow is mostly required and many thieves run Dagger/ Pistol. Youll have to figure out what suits your playstyle more.

Dying is going to happen, theres no way around it.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I posted this somewhere else but here are the three steps to total thief domination:

Step one: Log the thief out.
Step two: Create Mesmer or Chronomancer.
Step three: Roll most thieves by pounding your nose randomly on keyboard.

Pro Tip: You can use your feet/toes freeing up your face/hands to eat a sandwich while playing a Mesmer and remain just as effective as a skilled thief. Life is hard these days for a thief especially when an untrained monkey with a Mesmer is a formidable opponent.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

lol at all the answers.

Either way my calls are:

S/D is easier to grasp then D/* builds.
I know I know, D/P is indeed better, but it’s simply to complex to play D/P right of the bat when you barely knows how the game works.

Tough weaker overall, S/D builds are easier to play for beginners. Just go behind a wall, use teleport (Sword 2#), spam 1# and 3# and return with 2# if you lose more than 20% of your health. And Repeat. Stealth stomp players with 5#.

It’s important to mention tough, that you should never jump in the middle of a brawl with a Thief.
Use Shortbow on the sidelines (1# and 2# have great AoE damage and 4# Poison is great in team fights).
If you notice any players is in the “edges” of the fight, change weapons and burst him.

Read, also, all guides about kitting http://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:PvP_Guides
Since kitting = your life as a Thief. You can’t directly face combat, plus your shortbow 5# is a spammable teleport, why would you?

(PS: Do not stomp. Important: DO. NOT. STOMP. It’s NOT your job to finish downed players. If you are ALONE, pick then at range or stealth stomp if you have enough health to do it)

Lastly and not less important, you may find sooner or later that fighting as a Thief is not healthy and you will start focusing more in the game instead of the fights.
I recommend reading guides about Conquest and learning how to roam properly in the field.

Capturing that free nodes and quickly finishing fights where your team outnumber the enemy is most of the time, your job.

Oh yeah, do not be afraid of running away. This comes from a player that plays Thiefs and bunker classes.
Its the bunker/tanker class job to protect the squishy members, if no one is covering you no one can blame you from disengaging earlier. Sadly most players don’t know how to play alongside Thiefs.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Just roll Sentinel amulet with Mercy Runes and grab Acro/SA/DD for max speed decap+rezbot. Screw +1.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Reroll guardian/DH or engie/scrapper and enjoy OPness

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!