Good Thief vs Good D/D or Scepter Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Is there a video of that matchup where the Thief wins? I’ve no idea how to beat a GOOD D/D or Scepter Ele in sPvP (WvW is easier since one backstab can take a good chunk out of their hp they can’t insta-heal).

I would create an Ele to better understand its weaknesses and mechanics but I’ve no more character slots and will probably never get enough gold to buy more since I’m no good at saving :P

EDIT: Btw, I the Thief can be any weapon set, I usually run D/P & S/D in sPvP.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Idk about good eles. Tbh the last one I faced just bled to death. I stayed out of their AoEs and kept laying on bleeds until they died. I think I was using SoM at the time though so my heals beat his heals out.

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

Not sure about how good the ele is, but Jumper is a top notch thief. The ele dies quick. Jumper does a voice-over and claims his build is actually very strong vs d/d eles. He does a lot of videos, so you might want to check some of them out on twitch.

Incidentally, jumper’s build is powerful, but very steep learning curve – I certainly don’t feel comfortable running it.

in Thief

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

Scepter ele: See them coming or die instantly to their burst.
D/D ele: Keep pressure on them. If you’re not constantly hitting them, you’ll never get them low enough to kill. Headshot their water attune #2, use basilisk venom not to open, but instead when they are weak with no utilities left (looking at you mist form), to ensure they can’t yoyo their health back up with water attunement. Poison from your auto attack chain helps, not for damage, but for really raining on their ability to self heal. Headshot ether renewal if they let you. And generally fight inside your black powder for a bit before heartseekering through it for stealth. Bunkers don’t instantly die to zerker thieves but they can be broken. It requires a lot of finesse though and usually your time is better spent elsewhere.

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I’ve played D/D ele for a while and I’m now playing a thief. It varies how you’ll find the D/D a challange based on how his traits/gear are set up. As Simplicity is touching, the D/D’s upkeep is by rolling through his rotations, in many cases due to the healing signet that gives healing on skills used. Ele’s pretty much need 30 in Arcana, which gives them only 5 sec cd on attunement swap, which further means they can stance dance and spam. Since OP cant make an ele and test in the mist, go to a calculator site and see the traits/skills. Learn every skill each attunement offers as itll give a good idea what to expect in x situation. For instance, when in fire, expect burst to inc, air may bring blind/kd’s, water healing/cond removal.
A D/D with 30 in arcana and somewhat high in water or earth should prove a challange to you, but I really advise you to read up on how the ele work since it has 20 skills to utilize vs another class’ 10 (weapon slot).

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Posted by: Dragnela.6532

Dragnela.6532

Not sure about how good the ele is, but Jumper is a top notch thief. The ele dies quick. Jumper does a voice-over and claims his build is actually very strong vs d/d eles. He does a lot of videos, so you might want to check some of them out on twitch.

Incidentally, jumper’s build is powerful, but very steep learning curve – I certainly don’t feel comfortable running it.

S/d is just a troll build, should be taking out almost every class in 1vs1..

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

S/d is just a troll build, should be taking out almost every class in 1vs1..

So S/D is the troll build now, and not D/P perma stealth troll or P/D troll build?

All is vain.

in Thief

Dragnela.6532

I never said its the only troll build a thief has.. but its just fotm atm for most tournament teams.

in Thief

Dragnela.6532

D/p is harder to master. S/d just dodge evade.. dodge evade.. hehe

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

D/p is harder to master. S/d just dodge evade.. dodge evade.. hehe

So you’re saying S/D is easy mode because you can just spam Flanking strike for the win?

All is vain.