Greatsword

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Since the recent news has made it apparent that all classes will eventually get “all” weapons, greatswords for Thieves is by far one of the less ridiculous options and would likely not be so far off (compared to say, staves, scepters, foci, hammers, shields, axes, etc).
And in brainstorming ideas for skills, I feel it isn’t even as ridiculous a concept as many might think.
Examples;

Malicious Strike – Attack from Stealth to Leap and strike your foe, stunning them. Range 450.
Repeating Strike – Strike your target while remaining stationary. On a successful hit, subsequent activations cost significantly less Initiative and strike faster.
Flashing Blade – Whirl in place, striking nearby foes while evading and reflecting projectiles. Animation 3/4s
Shadow Fang – Throw your sword, striking and crippling foes in a line. Activate a second time to shadowstep to your sword.
Dark Defense – Block the next attack against you, enter Stealth and Shadowstep back. Stealth 3s, Shadowstep 450 distance.

With this it would work as a combination of AoE melee direct damage and defense.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

Why is staff more ridiculous than greatsword? Many rogue-like characters use staves. But I’m thinking they’ll start with utility skills, not new weapon sets.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

a bo-staff style fighting skillset could actually be really epic… less magic, more Asian martial arts.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

Where does it say that all classes will eventually get all weapons? I know Colin said that new weapons will eventually be added but I’ve never read that all classes will get all weapons.

Greatsword

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

It was from some sort of interview someone got. Anyway, that’s why I put it in quotes; regardless of what may have been said, I doubt EVERYONE will get EVERY weapon.
Warrior with a focus and such.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

It was from some sort of interview someone got. Anyway, that’s why I put it in quotes; regardless of what may have been said, I doubt EVERYONE will get EVERY weapon.

First thing that comes to mind is the warrior holding someone down with a focus and just smashing their face in. Now that’s the magic of brutality!

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Maybe it’s just me, but I imagine it looking more like….
(crap quality sketch, but it gets the point across)

Attachments:

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

and axes arent far fetched, already npc thieves have them.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Thieves with staff would be awesome! A melee staff weapon with nice crowd control. Imagine tripping enemies with staff before slapping their head with it ;]

I do like your idea of GS abilities though.

Melder – Thief

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

This sword-envy is getting obnoxious.
(Edit: Holy crap wish, that picture makes this comment all the more appropriate)

Anet, before you give classes weapons they don’t have access to, make some new weapons.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I want a staff on my thief, and I want it to play like this!

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

First thing that comes to mind is the warrior holding someone down with a focus and just smashing their face in. Now that’s the magic of brutality!

Lol. A Charr warrior just holding them in a headlock while fisting the focus into their face over and over. The imagery is hilarious. xD

The irony is it might be a more effective weapon that way than it currently is for other classes.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Maybe it’s just me, but I imagine it looking more like….
(crap quality sketch, but it gets the point across)

Bwhahaha I can totally see that. I love the picture

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Yeah, thieves with heavy weapons doesn’t make much sense at all…I could just imagine a thief in the shadows turns to move in for the kill, quite, slowly…then draws his/her weapon…and knocks down a pot smashing it to pieces as the the victim turns around to see the thief…shocked and frozen in place…eyes wipe open and jaw dropped to the ground….

lol….

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Conan was a thief with a greatsword. I don’t think my thief looks much like Conan though.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Thieves will -not- be getting greatsword…

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

We first need Maces with a crowbar skin so we can smash locks, Longbows since assassins used them, Shields with a powerful counter like Nine Tailed Strike, Torches so we can rob stores and commit arson and Hobo Thief walking stick staff to beat people with before looking into GS. Mine as well throw in bandit axes too to give that weapon more life.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Chew Magna.4830

Chew Magna.4830

I want my scythe back.

The good ol’ days of the A/D or D/A.

kitten I miss my derv.

Greatsword

in Thief

Doggie.3184

I want my scythe back.

The good ol’ days of the A/D or D/A.

kitten I miss my derv.

They’re scared we’ll create an MTSC style karma farm in GW2 if they give Thief (Assassins) Scythes again..

Greatsword

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

I want a staff on my thief, and I want it to play like this!

Well, as long as we’re doing that…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOiAxoy5HjQ

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

Looks like thieves are the first to get a new weapon. And that weapon is the Longbow! Now thieves can finally stealth and attack from long range! And we got pets too!

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Hammer thief gonna sneak up on you and smack you down from behind for suggesting something as ridiculous as a greatsword for thieves…

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polearm

I guess this would be a perfect weapon for thieves.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

We first need Maces with a crowbar skin so we can smash locks, Longbows since assassins used them, Shields with a powerful counter like Nine Tailed Strike, Torches so we can rob stores and commit arson and Hobo Thief walking stick staff to beat people with before looking into GS. Mine as well throw in bandit axes too to give that weapon more life.

Dont forget a brick, those are good for smashing windows.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

Greatsword

in Thief

Doggie.3184

Dont forget a brick, those are good for smashing windows.

I’d rather have a Van I can drive into store windows and fill with epic booty.

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

I just returned to the game and this is the first I hear of this. Would be great, just a tid bit more like buildwars again.

Greatsword

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

Just occurred to me.
Greatsword on a Thief would let me pair it with P/P, so I could go all Devil May Cry on people’s kittens.
I find myself desperately wanting this, now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvfbT36ao5E

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Just occurred to me.
Greatsword on a Thief would let me pair it with P/P, so I could go all Devil May Cry on people’s kittens.
I find myself desperately wanting this, now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvfbT36ao5E

GS, P/P, S/S.

Rebellion, Ebony + Ivory, Agni + Rudra.

I need this now.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

greatswords for Thieves is by far one of the less ridiculous options and would likely not be so far off (compared to say, staves, scepters, foci, hammers, shields, axes, etc).

… and with that, the entire Internet imploded under the sheer weight of the utter bullcrap that was added to it with every passing day.

You can’t seriously tell me that a greatsword fits a Thief more thematically than an off-hand sword, axes, scepters (all of our shadow art is a form of denial MAGIC), and focuses? Hell, even maces make more kitten sense than a greatsword!

If you want skinny characters wielding gigantic swords, go back to playing JRPG’s. This is Guild Wars 2, most of the crap in it makes sense. ;\

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

(edited by Incurafy.6329)

Greatsword

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

If you want skinny characters wielding gigantic swords, go back to playing JRPG’s. This is Guild Wars 2, most of the crap in it makes sense. ;\

Are you… What? Thieves and Rangers look identical.
Also, I never said it made more sense than off-hand swords.
Why get so kittened off at the idea of Thieves getting a weapon that already exists in the game? I think you’re the one playing the wrong game here if something like that drives you nuts.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Greatsword

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I’d like to use sword/ axe + great sword. Like my shadowblade from Daoc.

Just another noob thief…