Guards and engis

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Mystogan.4157

Mystogan.4157

What do you guys do against these two, spesificslly, burn guard and scrapper engi. I find the guards getting ageis all the time and blind so i cant hit them. Scrappers just mess me up

Thy Shall Fear The Reaper (FxRe)

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

scrapper is just a brawl most of the time a waste of time.

burn guard you need to con them up then reset the fight. becuase there CD are higher then yours

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Don’t bother with them. Takes too long and it’s an uphill fight against most DH/Scrapper builds for a Thief if you’re on equal skill.

That said, burn guards are one of the easier DH/Guard builds to fight.
Bait out and either avoid the burst completely or take it completely before using a Cleanse. And then proceed with counter pressure.
Their cd’s are relatively high (compared to ours) and taking a bit of risk like that can pay off, just be careful about it when you do take all of it…

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Burn guard is hardest to take it before cleanse b/c burn is least forgiving condition over short periods.

But burn guard is at least squishy so you can often overwhelm them if you can avoid their burn burst.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Guards and engis

in Thief

Mystogan.4157

Ive been doing ok on the scrapper front.. starting to see more turrets pop up. Guards though… i fear them, its the only class i fear atm. Too many circles of death. There is no tell for their ageis buff and i end up either hitting in to it with a cnd or end up getting blinded, and at that point between his retaliation burn or traps ir whatever it js doing damage has already gotten me low, causing me to retreat, by the time im healed his skills are off cd.

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Scrappers and Power DH have an advantage over Thieves, if you’re not confident that you can outplay your opponent here, you might as well just avoid the fight.

Burn guardians are pretty much countered by a single trait: [Escapist’s Absolution]
They generally put down purging flames as part of their burst, and crossing the ring counts as an attack upon you, sooo…a simple dodge after seeing purging flames will do the trick – burn guardians don’t have a lot of cover conditions.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Guards and engis

in Thief

Mystogan.4157

Ugh i want PI so bad but ill try EA again. Its hard because PI gives me even more reason to hone my interrupt skill

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Given equal or greater skill on a DH, thieves are at a significant disadvantage. The build has massive sustain and can straight up flatten a 3k target with near 20k health in a matter of seconds. They can be beaten but most of the time it takes superior skill on the part of the thief to consistently win.

I enjoy fighting DH particularly the [Lgnd] guild on NSP. They are kittenish with the siege and seem to teleport hack through walls and down cliffs but crazy good DH fighters in there.

Scrappers I find are hard to bring down much like Bunker Tempests but I rarely have to worry about dying to one unless I get sloppy. Two are a handful for sure.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Hard part of fighting those two is they can reset with invulnerability and heal back up. You need to plan out how to stay alive long enough so their reset abilities can be triggered and then survive the reset long enough to finish them off.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Hard part of fighting those two is they can reset with invulnerability and heal back up. You need to plan out how to stay alive long enough so their reset abilities can be triggered and then survive the reset long enough to finish them off.

I can get one of them so close but their sustain is stupid good. If they were a bit more friendly, I would offer a duel but I never get out of a death with them without a half of gold of siege on my corpse. I wreck a lot of their non-DH buddies though so I guess that is some sort of payback to them.

Also not a fan of the terrain teleports they do. There may be a way of doing it that isn’t hacking but seems like they are running something that allows them to teleport ignoring Z axis (such as a teleport from Alpine NWT to the bottom of the switchback) and most obstacles (such as the walls at Alpine N Camp). I record all my sessions and have it on “tape” but don’t want to be a kitten about it.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Guardian hard counters thief since the beginning of the game.

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Burn guard – let them stack burns then cleanse them → they won’t have CDs and you can kill them with ease.

Scrapper is just no go. Not happening. Run.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

For both of them, you can effortlessly kill them by just juking a pressed attack. When you land a big hit at any time, they will need to pop something to defend. You can just whittle their skills down one by one. Your mobility is your greatest asset and is one thing alone that can win any fight.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Burn guard – let them stack burns then cleanse them -> they won’t have CDs and you can kill them with ease.

False. Bait out their passive elixir S by doing some burst damage (Save your steal or keep an interrupt ready) which will pop when they hit 25% HP. If this happens automatically, they are running Alchemy and will be shrunk for 3 seconds. Prepare your interrupt by counting (I use P/P so after 3, I unload)

If they are quick enough and pop their Elixir S utility, get ready as they are going to pop heal turret after. Either do another burst or interrupt. Typically when I force their passive elixir, they don’t have time to pop anything else thanks to a well timed unload or 2.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

Guards and engis

in Thief

Mystogan.4157

Still havin the hardest time with guards. The tips on scrapper will help. I can get him down to his elixer s but after he usually wrecks me, i will save my burst for after. Guards i just cant even get near. Too much passive damage going on with traps and blocks and burn. Its a mess for me

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

I enjoy fighting DH particularly the [Lgnd] guild on NSP. They are kittenish with the siege and seem to teleport hack through walls and down cliffs but crazy good DH fighters in there.

^ That’s Fate from Borlis Pass. We were pair with NSP, SBI, DB, CD , MAG. We were with Mag when they pushed to the top and beat BG. It was fun until anet kicked us on the 4th week.

I’m new to guild wars 2 so I’m sure your thief forum never heard of me

Well have fun!

Attachments:

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Very experienced DH here, I’ll throw in my 2 cents:

Make a DH and run through how their bursts work and what skills do good damage vs. which do not. Once you’re familiar with these skills and fight them enough, you’ll start to predict them more readily.

For actually fighting them: the very good ones will try and bleed out your mobility and defensive skills before laying on their burst. They will consistently try to land f1 on you (dodge this if possible, it severely cripples their offence). If you fail to avoid their f1, be sure you have either shadowstep or bandit’s defence ready to duck out of the incoming burst because they’ll usually pull you into a trap and/or use their teleport coupled with a burst.

Often times, when you go in for a burst, the best you come out with is a trade. Don’t trade if you you know the trade could kill you, just kite. If trading: after the trade, move out of range and be ready with your defensive utilities. kitten what skills the DH just blew (did they use their f2 and f3? Heal? teleport?) and whether they could kill you on the next trade (ex.: did they just blow longbow 2 and 3 and have no defensive utilities left?). If not, keep trading. If maybe, then reset and reengage when your heal/steal/utilities are up.

It’s a very uphill battle for thief. You have to consistently outplay them and come out on top of the trades multiple times in a row. It’s not a duel though; just reset and reengage, or pull off for the time being.

I’ve been downed in 1v1 by some very excellent roamer thieves who play smart even while only making few mistakes myself. Best case scenario for me is those thieves manage to escape after a single bad trade which can be frustrating and cause me to play recklessly the next time I see them. It’s overall in their favor so I usually end up running off (which is sort of a “victory” for the thief).

Guards and engis

in Thief

Mystogan.4157

Yea im just seeing block all the time now. I break ageis they shield block, after that another ageis pops. Then they use some invuln skill. Oh wait another ageis pops up..

Guards and engis

in Thief

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

Spvp there is risk. In wvw there is non you can semi sustain to easily overwhelm a dh. There are a few wvw bunny Power builds with staff and D/P meant to fight outnumbered and face tank a zerg. You lose 25% damage but gain like 3 -4 times sustain. You can do wonders with condi.

But in spvp it’s the time limit and the lack of playing field and limit armor stats you can use.

I mean roaming for wvw.

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

Guards and engis

in Thief

Cynz.9437

Burn guard – let them stack burns then cleanse them -> they won’t have CDs and you can kill them with ease.

False. Bait out their passive elixir S by doing some burst damage (Save your steal or keep an interrupt ready) which will pop when they hit 25% HP. If this happens automatically, they are running Alchemy and will be shrunk for 3 seconds. Prepare your interrupt by counting (I use P/P so after 3, I unload)

If they are quick enough and pop their Elixir S utility, get ready as they are going to pop heal turret after. Either do another burst or interrupt. Typically when I force their passive elixir, they don’t have time to pop anything else thanks to a well timed unload or 2.

are we talking about pvp here?

All is Vain~

Guards and engis

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Both (as I see this A LOT in both modes)

For DH, fight ranged in you can (SB or P/P)

If its a trapper, SB poison field will force them off their traps they are camping.

If its burn, let them burst some stacks and cleanse as most DH blow their load at first.

Guards and engis

in Thief

Cynz.9437

If its a trapper, SB poison field will force them off their traps they are camping.

If its burn, let them burst some stacks and cleanse as most DH blow their load at first.

PP is fodder for anyone with brain in pvp.
Half decent scrapper will not die to thief (unless they afk/cat poops on keyboard etc.)

All is Vain~

Guards and engis

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Half decent scrapper will not die to thief (unless they afk/cat poops on keyboard etc.)

I dunno…I think I have some vids i cropped of my teef in PvP vs as crapper or 2. Ill have to find them. Ive beaten lots of scrapper (I also dont camp P/P much as my main damage comes from D/P)

Guards and engis

in Thief

Cynz.9437

I dunno…I think I have some vids i cropped of my teef in PvP vs as crapper or 2. Ill have to find them. Ive beaten lots of scrapper (I also dont camp P/P much as my main damage comes from D/P)

I want to see you beating Zan, i really do.

All is Vain~

Guards and engis

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I want to see you beating Zan, i really do.

No idea who that is but im always down for fighting anyone or any class. Ill prob get beat but the only way to get better is to fight against better

Mind you I WvW more than PvP so Ill have some digging around to do.