in Thief

Posted by: Crowlen.3724

Crowlen.3724

(edited by Crowlen.3724)

Guild Wars 2 - Thief WvW roaming and fun

in Thief

Posted by: kaikalii.4198

kaikalii.4198

Interesting stuff. The 0 precision gear with hidden killer is kinda cool, but doesn’t that lock you in to just one way of bursting? Out of stealth, you simply won’t do as much damage, but I guess the survivability is nice. I run 20606 D/D, which I feel is a bit more flexible since you aren’t totally reliant on being stealthed to burst people. Either way, pretty good video.

Only thing I would say is to maybe roam in regular WvW next time, not EotM. Killing uplevels that outnumber you is cool and all, but it would also be cool to see this setup against more level 80 players. I’m sure that if played correctly, you could really outplay groups of 2 or more people.

Kaliiii (Thief) – SoS

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

@ kaikalii:
I’m running a similar build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAoYVlsMp7plPxzJ0PNxOBtdAq9E4+EdoEdNEA-T1SAABaq+DO7PomSwtUuVxDAAgDIAXKJu4QAwn+gHORAecEAIDg+YA-w
That’s the old thief meta build, I think (except the ridiculous skills).
I’m currently playing a lot of 1vs1 in pvp with a friend who mains thief as well. But he tests different builds and set ups S/D, D/P and D/D, while my build always stays the same (yeah, I’m lazy). Anyway, he’s good, so not a noob or anything. We analyzed my nooby setup because I own him 80% of the time, I have problems with D/P, other than that I mostly win – and we found that each of these stupid skills and traits I use have a viable purpose. So, he immobilizes me and/or I miss CnD = I use blinding powder. My health is low, he’s trying to get to me = I use daggerstorm, My health is low, I need to use shadow refuge = I run away and set up SR as far as possible (signet of shadows, swiftness when dodging) so he won’t have too much time to poke around. My increased flanking strike damage means that every CnD is a crit (because I’m always half tuned when casting it anyway). So, he uses every “meta” build there is and I still always have an advantage.
But this is against thieves. I currently don’t know how it’s against other classes as I took a longer break from wvw due to lag and have transferred a lot since then and haven’t really been in any 1vs1 lately or settled to my new server, so I’m currently not that interested in wvw and well, EU is different than NA, I did well with this build over here (EU) the first time around, just had some problems with eles, engis and medi guards.

Edit: But you’re right; with this build it’s better to be stealthed. My autoattack and CnD hurt a lot though.
Edit ²: In case you wonder: I wonder why people think that 20606 is better than the old meta. Even with boon steal. Not saying you shouldn’t use it but to me it’s sad that thieves invent builds that have no real value to them just to get one trait. You won’t need condi damage as a power thief. And that was kind of what I was answering, although I do have a decent crit chance ;) sorry.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

Only thing I would say is to maybe roam in regular WvW next time, not EotM. Killing uplevels that outnumber you is cool and all, but it would also be cool to see this setup against more level 80 players. I’m sure that if played correctly, you could really outplay groups of 2 or more people.

Outnumbered or not, killing uplevels this way is kind of lame. Even more lame is the part where he and 2 other thieves gang up on them. It’s stuff like this that gives the profession a bad image and prompts cries for more nerfs.

in Thief

Posted by: kaikalii.4198

kaikalii.4198

Edit ²: In case you wonder: I wonder why people think that 20606 is better than the old meta. Even with boon steal. Not saying you shouldn’t use it but to me it’s sad that thieves invent builds that have no real value to them just to get one trait. You won’t need condi damage as a power thief. And that was kind of what I was answering, although I do have a decent crit chance sorry.

I get what your saying, but there are some really good benefits to running 6 in trickery over 6 in crit-strikes for D/D. The ones that make it for me are the interrupt and reduced steal cooldown on SoH, and the extra initiative from the 3 point trait. Also, the fury from TotC makes up, in part, for the lower crit-chance. I think that for a lot of people, after you run 6 trickery for a while, it’s hard to go back. The utility is just so good, and it can more than make up for your slightly lower damage.

I will say, though, that for D/P, I do run 26006 for buttloads of damage.

Kaliiii (Thief) – SoS

in Thief

Jana.6831

Edit ²: In case you wonder: I wonder why people think that 20606 is better than the old meta. Even with boon steal. Not saying you shouldn’t use it but to me it’s sad that thieves invent builds that have no real value to them just to get one trait. You won’t need condi damage as a power thief. And that was kind of what I was answering, although I do have a decent crit chance sorry.

I get what your saying, but there are some really good benefits to running 6 in trickery over 6 in crit-strikes for D/D. The ones that make it for me are the interrupt and reduced steal cooldown on SoH, and the extra initiative from the 3 point trait. Also, the fury from TotC makes up, in part, for the lower crit-chance. I think that for a lot of people, after you run 6 trickery for a while, it’s hard to go back. The utility is just so good, and it can more than make up for your slightly lower damage.

I will say, though, that for D/P, I do run 26006 for buttloads of damage.

True, you’re right, but I don’t get why the 6 in shadow arts is necessary – there’s no power behind a build like that. 26006 is a whole different story.

in Thief

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

because with 2/0/6/0/6 you have 10 sec of fury, swiftness, vigor, 2 stolen boons, heal 2+k, +2 ini, and also poison and daze for your enemy every 21 sec. you have +3 ini to your ini pool and also steal is a gap closer. isn’t it enough?

ofc if you run in zerg, there is no need in trickery, x/6/6/x/x is more efficient. and CS thief will rect Trickery thief in 1vs1.

in Thief

Posted by: Ryyman.2196

Ryyman.2196

2/0/6/0/6 has better utility than 2/6/6 for reasons already covered. I’d just like to add that with air/fire sigils, the 2/0/6/0/6 does some solid damage. We’re in a meta where crit strikes isn’t as necessary as it used to be.

as for the video, not really impressed, moving along.

in Thief

Jana.6831

Ok, still I think it’s a pity that thieves have to trade all their power just to get one utility trait.