Guild wars 1 Assassin Vs Guild wars 2 Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Jestersmiles.4365

Jestersmiles.4365

This one is obviously for Guild wars one players , Which style do you guys prefer the Assassin or thief ?

For my personal taste I still to this day think that Gw1 assassin are the best “Ninja” class out there in any mmo/rpg out there.

One thing I love about the sin is that it was built around Shadow stepping skills, for example..

I loved it when my twisted fang ( if Remember the build name correctly ^ ^) sin, would pop return on the monk , shadow step to the target , pop my combo and if something went wrong dispel return and I would appear next to the monk (who should be at safe distance ) and heal and then repeat.

While Thief does have some shadow steeping skills I feel it more build around stealth , which in my opinion was not needed since the sin from part one showed there was no need for stealth, a mechanic that proven very hard to balance in competitive games.

A other thing I liked about the sin was it combat mechanic, which was basically like Aion chain skill setup:

The sin had one primary skill which was followed up by two secondary and a finisher. You could not use a skill without first activating the previous one. I Found this system not only unique but fun, and really meshed well with the shadow stepping skills the sin has.

The Thief… Well it your typical energy consumption ninja/rogue/ w/e the hell used in other mmos. snore fest….ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It obvious which one I prefer , but what do you guys think? should the thief be more like the sin from 1 , is it just fine as it is, or you just don’t care lol?

Excuse my grammar as it not the best.

“Thank you for rezzing me”- Thankful Stranger
“Np, it part of the Job :) " – Proud Guardian.

in Thief

Posted by: Reynfall.1547

Reynfall.1547

Thief has tons more survivability with tons more damage and is in a game that isn’t dynamically and subtly against melee. Way more fun imo

in Thief

Jestersmiles.4365

Thief has tons more survivability with tons more damage and is in a game that isn’t dynamically and subtly against melee. Way more fun imo

Don’t know what more survivability you want in a sin since they could shadow step half the distance of your mini map xD.

in Thief

Posted by: Sco.9615

Sco.9615

Yes, I preferred the good old Assassin. I liked having chains and really getting to pick how I wanted those chains to go. I also really miss shadow stepping. Sure, its in this game but by no means to the degree it was in GW1. The “Thief” seems to be built around stealth and capitalizing on it. Although I don’t really know how someone gets away saying that considering there’s only 1 stealth attack skill worth using and only 1 skill to apply stealth worth using. So uh…lame much? (Not that I’m complaining, I love my D/D, just find the dual skill completely counter intuitive to the rest of the weapon bar.) I do kind of wish my ability to completely misdirect my opponents and lure/catch them out of position was as still intact but I just find the new Thief class as surprisingly straight forward with surprisingly useless utility skills. I want something where I can really mess with my opponents and then vanish and reappear across the map and accomplish my real goal; ganking the rest of your allies, while you thought I was after you. You just don’t get that feel with with the thief skills in this game sadly. But I guess that’s just how the game is built.

Communication is the greatest gift the world of today can offer us.
So why do we choose to ignore it?

in Thief

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

GW1’s assassin was a mess. Reliance on a single easily-removed enchant to survive in PvE, no utility besides raw DPS, one-trick glass cannon that had to go all out into an easily-countered offense in PvP, etc.

By comparison, the thief is much more balanced. He is squishy but has decent options to keep from dying all the time (ranged weapons, AoE blind and weakness, moves that give temporary invul), decent sustained DPS along with powerful burst options, and most importantly, is actually useful to a team in both PvE and PvP.

If you’re complaining about the current state of the thief you clearly didn’t get to play him in beta. Especially the second one, he was downright terrible in the second beta. The current thief is, like, super godmode compared to beta thief.

in Thief

Jestersmiles.4365

Well I don’t know about you but in Guild vs Guild every one ran a sin to kill guards quick, in the Underworld I was the one who rez my whole team after a bad pull , I and I was always sought after in my alliance for my sin.

I guess we both had different experiences with the sin in Gw1.

and they where far from the one trick pony you speak off.

in Thief

Posted by: Sco.9615

Sco.9615

I feel that was directed at me and if it was you sadly, but ofc, missed everything I was trying to say.

1.) I said I liked the thief and did not say it was bad. Has some useless skills, but who doesn’t atm.
2.) I was saying that I missed the focus on mobility and misdirection the Assassin offered. Where as the Thief is a straight up, “I’m here and I’m going to kill you” class.
3.) They are both 1 shot glass cannons and squishy. (Unless of course you spec’d your thief otherwise for some other purpose, but assuming that, you can do the same thing with an Assassin which blows that argument out of the water.)
4.) Simply to restate, I was pointing out my preference to the insane mobility and deception the Assassin offered as to the more direct approach given to the thief.

I was NOT “complaining” about imbalance or skills like you seemed to think I was (Yes, I mentioned it, but it was not a focus of the statement if you had bothered to read carefully) but was instead disappointed that “Assassin” and “Thief” have switched roles. The Thief is the deadly one and the Assassin is the trickster and my longing for an Assassin like class.

Communication is the greatest gift the world of today can offer us.
So why do we choose to ignore it?

in Thief

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I dunno, the hard-enforced weapon skill chaining kind of turned me off of long-term assassin play. The only thing I really enjoyed about assassin was it’s synergy with secondary professions, but sadly that is not a concern in GW2.

in Thief

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

GW1’s assassin was a mess. Reliance on a single easily-removed enchant to survive in PvE, no utility besides raw DPS, one-trick glass cannon that had to go all out into an easily-countered offense in PvP, etc.

I’m sorry, but I’m calling bullcrap on that PvE part. If you’re talking about Aura of Displacement, which I assume you are, you are SADLY mistaken. As an Assassin main in GW1, and a very successful Assassin, I never touched Aura once in PvE, and had a whole repertoire of successful, powerful, interesting, and non-PvX assassin builds that I used in PvE. I survived in PvE pretty darn well without AoD or PvX gimmicks, while dealing good to excellent damage and/or leaving mobs a mess with conditions. I usually refrain from the following statement, but in this case, I’ll make an exception: you’re just bad…at assassin.

Now, on to the main subject;

I can’t really say which I prefer. I like both the Assassin and the Thief. It’s hard to compare the two classes, when the combat mechanics for the two games are so completely different.

in Thief

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Thief is way better than Assassin. Keep in mind I also hated GW1, but love GW2.

in Thief

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I’m sorry, but I’m calling bullcrap on that PvE part. If you’re talking about Aura of Displacement, which I assume you are, you are SADLY mistaken. As an Assassin main in GW1, and a very successful Assassin, I never touched Aura once in PvE, and had a whole repertoire of successful, powerful, interesting, and non-PvX assassin builds that I used in PvE. I survived in PvE pretty darn well without AoD or PvX gimmicks, while dealing good to excellent damage and/or leaving mobs a mess with conditions. I usually refrain from the following statement, but in this case, I’ll make an exception: you’re just bad…at assassin.

Now, on to the main subject;

I can’t really say which I prefer. I like both the Assassin and the Thief. It’s hard to compare the two classes, when the combat mechanics for the two games are so completely different.

Yeah, I mained assassin too. So what? Ultimately the Assassin had one good use in PvE, and that was piling on DPS with Death Blossom spam. You could play some other builds too, but never as well as the original class (i.e. scythe sin was okay but just being a dervish was better). That said, DB spam was insanely high DPS, but raw DPS was never what anyone wanted in a teammate; compared to other classes who could still dish out respectable damage while providing a free, unlimited tank (Ranger), buff the entire party with defensive wards (Elementalist) or heal everyone (Ritualist), the Assassin just wasn’t worth it. You get the idea. By comparison the thief has a whole range of control and support options that not only make him useful in a group, but downright indispensable (Choking Gas and Smoke Screen, anyone?).

Also, the assassin had two severe issues that would get you killed 95% of the time. One, you relied on enchants to keep yourself alive. Not a whole bunch of spammable enchants, like the Dervish, either; you pretty much relied exclusively on Critical Agility, which was really good when it was up, but if it got stripped (and tons of mobs had enchant removal en masse) you were pretty much dead. Also, the skill-chaining system meant you effectively only had one attack; that attack got shut down (either they interrupted, blocked, or Diversion’d a skill in your chain) and you were completely useless until it recharged.

So, yeah.

in Thief

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

i preferred the first 6months of gw1 assa/monk when he could shadowstep all the map. after several nerfs i think it was useless and after those nerfs i prefer thief gw2

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I loved both. Dunno what you’re saying about Thief being a cookie cutter of rogue classes because he has a single damage move per set, to my knowledge rogues usually ran off a skill rotation. I like how resourceful Thief is. Most of his skills put more emphasis on utility then damage. As for Sin, my second main was an A/Mo with a focus on Shadow Arts and Protection Prayers. It was fun keeping myself protected from damage while snuffing out the enemy’s support.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

I played an assassin in gw and honestly the thief is way better than that class, but u really cant compare the two cuz in gw u could be any combo of class which made balancing harder.

Norn “cows” go moot.

in Thief

Jestersmiles.4365

@Guanglai Kangyi

I guess I just leave it that you really did not like Gw1 sin, I just hope they add more shadow stepping skills later on.

I still say sin was way more fun than thief.