Heavy up the thief

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Inspired by this topic:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Heavy-Up-the-Engineer-Yes-another-one

Why the thief should be given heavy armor:

1) Primarily a melee class, but has the lowest health.
2) Free the slot open for a medium-class dervish, without disrupting the grid
3) Engie is ranged, so doesn’t really need the heavy armor
4) We would no longer get PvE prejudice and could get in on all the ‘heavy armor’ only PuGs
5) more useful in ZvZ, GvG, PvE due to being made more durable
6) Wouldn’t need to rely on perma-stealth abuse as much or at all and therefore reduce the hate

+1 this post if you want the devs to consider this proposal.

All is vain.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

You have to account for armor type aesthetics. But since I am all for thief buffs…. +1

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dragnela.6532

Dragnela.6532

+1

/123456789

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Ew… A thief wearing plated armor? No thank you.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

I like my medium COE and Human medium T3 Cultural armors…

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: TundraQualle.8204

TundraQualle.8204

I like my Thief in medium armor. So, no thank you.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Are you all serious? You want to put the THIEF in plate armor just so you can get an extra ~140 Toughness?
That would be completely ridiculous.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

My mesmer is wearing a sword, can he get heavy armor, too?

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

My mesmer is wearing a sword, can he get heavy armor, too?

no.

All is vain.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

During development the Engineer was supposed to have heavy armor, iirc the Engineer was supposed to be a mid-range heavy.

Giving the Thief heavy armor won’t make a dent in survival, thieves are designed to dodge and evade the dmg, not eat it. Even worse, you will see more thieves faceplanting, since they’d be thinking they’d survive because of heavy armor.

The Dervish is more or less integrated into the guardian (GW2 boons are comparable to GW1 enchantments and the holy warrior bit). Maybe it’s better to ask for a Dervish directly instead of changing the Thief in order to justify the Dervish. (But only humans have Dervish, so nvm)

Also at this rate, might as well ask for light and medium armor to have heavy armor values. And allow everyone to mix and match the skins they want.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

I don’t like the idea of a thief in heavy armor.
Wearing heavy armor clashes with the idea of high mobility.
I wouldn’t complain if they gave me more stats though

-Jeep-

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

(edited by OIIIIIO.7825)

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

can we have medium HP pools ??
i don’t want heavy, thieves don’t wear plate !
robes might be a better choice with upping the HP pool ?

(edited by DanH.5879)

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

If this happens, I’ll gladly be the first person to post a “Stealth up the Warrior!” thread!

If we’re going to teach you how to move and fight in 75 pounds of plate armor, it’s only fair you teach us the secrets to becoming a ninja

Fairs fair!

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Ew… A thief wearing plated armor? No thank you.

Except for the Heavy armor that looks like Medium, but is heavy anyways just to further spoil Anet’s sugarbaby professions. :/

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The slight durability increase won’t do jack. Survivability for Thieves comes from evasiveness, correct positioning and proper use of abilities eg. interrupts, Stealths, blinds.

Warriors have immense HP pools (with recently buffed healing skills to go along with it) and Guardians have immense access to defensive boons and tons of various small and large heals to keep the smaller HP pool at maximum.

The armor itself means nothing. Just having it won’t do anything to increase overall survivability for the profession. If you want more to increase durability for Thieves on a wide scale, then abilities themselves would need improvement eg. increasing radii of blind fields, extending benefits of Stealth, buffing viability of Venom builds, increasing damage co-efficients to allow more investment in Acrobatics or SA while not gimping DPS.

You’re not supposed to be sponging attacks. You can’t expect to just go and stand alongside Warriors and Guardians just because you picked up some shiny plate.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Smo.6520

Smo.6520

An agility based class and plated armor don’t mix. It doesn’t even make sense.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I like my Thief-coats a little too much to swap out for platemail. Not to mention, it’d not fix:

• lowball Health
  • minimal defensive Boons.
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: totalpwnage.6534

totalpwnage.6534

1) Primarily a melee class, but has the lowest health. – You have the lowest health because you can’t be seen/targeted for over 60% of a fight. Stealth equates to your lower health.
2) Free the slot open for a medium-class dervish, without disrupting the grid – As stated before, Warrior and Gaurdian effectively fill the role of a Dervish.
3) Engie is ranged, so doesn’t really need the heavy armor. – Engi ‘not needing it’ doesn’t justify thief getting it.
4) We would no longer get PvE prejudice and could get in on all the ‘heavy armor’ only PuGs. – You don’t get PvE prejudice because of your medium armor, you get it because thieves are not made for PvE. Everyone knows thieves were built around PvP ability, therefore adding extra toughness won’t change your low PvE usefulness.
5) more useful in ZvZ, GvG, PvE due to being made more durable. – If you are constantly zerging with a thief then you are doing it wrong. Thieves are a super high mobility/sneaky profession that excels a lot better at scouting areas or solo roaming. Thieves are good at GvGs since they can easily and quickly get behind enemy lines, have stealth stomp, can focus weakened/damaged opponents to finish them of with high burst, etc.. I covered thieves problems with PvE and basically more toughness doesn’t fix your bad PvE ability.
6) Wouldn’t need to rely on perma-stealth abuse as much or at all and therefore reduce the hate. – Trust me. Thieves getting extra toughness without sacrificing damage will NOT abandon permastealth. They will just be able to permastealth more/survive aoes better.

Yes, thieves are a melee class but you aren’t and never will be a guard or war since they are taking 100% of the attacks thrown at them in melee range whereas thieves take much less due to stealth prohibiting them from being targeted.

To sum up, it is a terrible idea and the reasons provided are not logical.

Happylittlevegemite of Darkhaven
Quick Load [LOAD]

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Gutts.8791

Gutts.8791

That was a beautiful post totalpwnage. Everything you said makes perfect sense, I cannot understand how people can’t see that the thief’s sustainability comes from stealth and evasion. 15 points into acrobatics gives absolutely insane evasion capabilities, something that I’d like the warrior to have as at the moment warriors are more or less thiefs without stealth.

(I mainly play both warrior and thief in WvW by the way)

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Yes the thief could need more life, but never heavy armor -.-

BTW I think the thief need a complete overhaul, more in way stealing, acrobatic and direkt dmg.

The truth is the thief is balance in pvp, but useless in every aspect, special in PvE and replaceable by every other class.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

try not getting hit. Thieves don’t have any issues surviving as is, it just takes a bit of effort.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Smo.6520

Smo.6520

I’m able to run 40+ fractals on my thief perfectly fine. You just need to understand the bosses and your own weapon sets/builds. We’re Actually pretty amazing in a few fractals.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

The guy who started that thread here.

I’m kind of amazed, to be honest. You guys actually address the idea of the change as opposed to going “This would ruin the class” without explanation, or “We’re going to throw a fit…because we never finished reading the first post before we went and threw our fit.”

So…Bravo.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Mesmers have melee weapons too? Engi’s are more “in the fray” then thieves most of the time and don’t have nearly as many escape mechanisms that thieves have yet you want to add more toughness to thieves? Not happening lol, whether people like this post or not. I’m sure Anet know’s better than to do something this insane.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

I lold this is a joke right, so… so many things wrong with this. (i posted something similar on the “heavy up the engi” post but that is at least arguable)

I also think thf needs to have more access to stealth and a little bit more burst.

And if we could only do something about our limited mobility.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: teonimesic.1403

teonimesic.1403

Oh my god this is ridiculous!!!!! I mean HEAVY armor really??

When was the last time you saw a thief/assasin ANYWHERE (real life, movies, other games, whatever), that just has full plating on?

I mean i would really laugh my balls off if i was walking down the street and some guy in full heavy armor just appeared out of nowhere, pointed his gun / knife at my back and was all like “gimme your wallet”…

But seriouly, thief has the highest game mobility, and also has stealth, so what’s the point of having armor? Yes we are a melee class, but we have the easiest disengage (basically pop your utility / health, and spam some skill to move away invisible), so if you are low on health then you should disengage, heal up and then come back for more. If your playstyle is standing in the heat of the battle and stay there swinging your sword, then you should be playing a warrior or a guardian.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: teonimesic.1403

teonimesic.1403

By the way, BATMAN doesnt counts.

Heavy up the thief

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

try not getting hit. Thieves don’t have any issues surviving as is, it just takes a bit of effort.

Lol I dont talk about me, I talk about that, that the dmg and survivability of the thief is to less for that, what he for pve need. Gaurdians, ele and warriors can do the 3x dmg of the thief and have much more deff and life + supportskills

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)