Help Against Engineers in PvP

in Thief

Posted by: Platanos.8107

Platanos.8107

Hey fellow thieves,
I tried to do some sPvP and I probably 3/8 games I’ve played was against a 5 team engineer. When I see turrets on the point, I just sb a bit and then go in and poke the engie. However, when I am defending a point, they just rush up to me and places tons of turrets on the capture point (4 or 5 turrets per engineer) that I think are heavily traited (for sure Fortified turrets, takes ~15 Autos/5 auto attack chains to kill). Do I have to lose the point in order to kill the turrets? With 4 turrets, it’s impossible to kill these turrets with just S/D (of course I could be doing something wrong).

Any tips on how to deal with these engies?

And as a random question, does flanking strike automatically count as a flanking strike? Does it benefit from stuff like +10% damage when attacking from sides/back?

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

It depends on what engineer you are fighting some are soldier,rabid or zerk and still have turrets. There is no point of melee fighting turrets stick to SB in your case but to be honest the few pvp SA P/D and D/D thieves do well since AI helps with CnD and the stealth attack is burst and engi are low condition removers.

5 turret engineers? That’s the a fight I don’t want to be in it’s like having 5 consecration tank guard = you are not getting that cap.

Edit: Attack them out of point,force them to leave turrets behind or hope they are not coordinated engineers.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

There is ZERO percent chance to beat a turret engi as a thief. NONE. Not with short bow, not with some playstyle change, you CANNOT win. It’s like Necro vs Engi, engi always loses. You can live for 8 seconds on point if you slot daggerstorm, but then you waste an elite just for a small poke. If a turret engi is on a point, dont even try to 1v1. Let him camp and 4v5 and snowball the other points. Turret engi rotates slowly so if he does move off point it’s an easy backcap.

-Teef Teef Teef Teef

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

There is ZERO percent chance to beat a turret engi as a thief. NONE. Not with short bow, not with some playstyle change, you CANNOT win. It’s like Necro vs Engi, engi always loses. You can live for 8 seconds on point if you slot daggerstorm, but then you waste an elite just for a small poke. If a turret engi is on a point, dont even try to 1v1. Let him camp and 4v5 and snowball the other points. Turret engi rotates slowly so if he does move off point it’s an easy backcap.

-Teef Teef Teef Teef

I just said I beat them with P/D and I see D/D doing a better job then other spec >.> sure it depends on what amulet but not zero chance lol those sets counter AI so good. That’s one of the situations where I am pround of seeing SA in pvp action.

And that’s a zerker S/D doesn’t counter eh?

Edit: Just because you can’t cap in stealth doesn’t mean 0 thieves will use SA in pvp lol I’m dying over this zero chance against turret engi on thief.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Hmm… I haven’t tried this but what happens if you use S/P? Might be able to attack the engi and turrets at the same time using pistolwhip, and with the evade he/she can’t get you with that knockback. You could also use thieves guild for blind and damage, they also give the turrets something else to hit. Unfortunately, once the thieves are dead your kinda doomed.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I found that the best way to kill an engi dancing around his turrets is to stack power, put on signet of malice and then daggerstorm/CB the kitten out of everything. Don’t ask me how I exactly pulled it off because engis normally kill me.

in Thief

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

-Teef Teef Teef Teef

So how have I killed some on S/D + SB then? It’s not impossible, nor does a thief have zero chance, like any other match up that is perceived as difficult or tricky, you have to have patience and play smart.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

in Thief

Posted by: Sennis.9604

Sennis.9604

-Teef Teef Teef Teef

Thats funny. I’ve beaten Turret Engineers on my thief. As well as Necros on my Engineer, it’s all about how you play. You just have to play smart, nothing is impossible.

in Thief

Posted by: Mayama.1854

Mayama.1854

Thats funny. I’ve beaten Turret Engineers on my thief. As well as Necros on my Engineer, it’s all about how you play. You just have to play smart, nothing is impossible.

Assuming all players play their class perfect necro > engi, engi > thief

in Thief

Posted by: TrOtskY.5927

TrOtskY.5927

you will only kill the engi very very slowly if you do actually decide to stay and fight (supposing he isn’t a good player and you can actually overcome this horribly imbalanced fight) and he will definitely decap and most certainly cap the point as well. That’s a serious waste of time. Go do something somewhere else on the map. Turret Engis kitten me off that they can force a 1v1 cap-turnaround so instantly and so passively, but there’s no point in wasting your time fighting against it.

The best counterplay to this is to rotate the instant the engi drops his turrets. The quicker you can rotate the quicker you can emphasise the flaw in his build.

in Thief

Posted by: CobOfCorn.6352

CobOfCorn.6352

LOS them and cluster bomb their turrets away and spike when his turrets are down. It’s a hard matchup but not impossible.

Ably

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Leave them be. They are not unkillable, it’s just that it’s not worth it.
There is NO WAY that you are going to keep the point yours while fighting a Turret Engi. Best case scenario, it will take you a good 30s (if not more, especially if they have Supply Crate).
Kiting and all the LoS crap are good, but the engi will cap AND decap the point while you are fighting his clusterkitten.
Of course you can spec full SA condi braindead and kill them. I can make lots of build that KILL turret engi, but I can see no builds that can kill the turret engi before he even decaps the point you are trying to defend.

So, the best thing you can do is leave the point and go elsewhere.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Mayama.1854

If you try to kill a bunker spec on point alone you do what he wants you to do. The downside of a bunker spec is that the rest of the team has to fight 4v5 and because you are fighting him you turned it into a 4v4.

in Thief

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Everyone’s having problems with Turret Engis right now in Conquest. They’re a massive headache to fight.

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

I haven’t played it for a month or two but celestial 6 2 0 0 6 p/d sb does well against engis in general and gives you two options for not standing in the turrets themselves. Honestly though if you find a turret engi on a point with his turrets up, don’t even bother 1v1ing just rotate off and +1 another fight.

edit: Chaos armor does wonders against engis themselves, less so against the turrets, so when you throw down that gunk can always blast it once or twice with sb for some chaos armor.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

(edited by Helly.2597)

in Thief

Platanos.8107

Alrighty, thanks for your tips! I’ll probably just run away when an engineer supply drop + turret drop then.

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

When a engi runs in and uses his supply crate when you have the point.

Assuming you are not using S/P:

• Dodge CC
  • Steal gunk and throw it in the middle of the point
  • Use shortbow to kill the turrets, and #3 to evade
  • When turrets are gone: kill engi
* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in Thief

Platanos.8107

• Dodge CC

That is fighting inside the capture point? I suppose it is easy enough to trait signet of malice and spam 2 while in the capture point, but other than that, I think it’s difficult to camp the point and still stay alive.

in Thief

Mayama.1854

That is fighting inside the capture point? I suppose it is easy enough to trait signet of malice and spam 2 while in the capture point, but other than that, I think it’s difficult to camp the point and still stay alive.

Yeah I want to see how he survives fighting a decent turret engi INSIDE the point, thats like asking to get bend over.

in Thief

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

• Dodge CC

Its no where near that easy the thief will also be taking damage from turrets. Even vsing a average turret engi gonna take a fair bit of time should be able to kill him at all. As other have said go else where leave him on the point. Go outnumber his team mates and after killing them bring a friend and kill turret engi.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

when the engies run turret+reflect projectile turrets theres 0% chance of winning as a thief lets say same skill level cuz even if u go s/d d/p or d/d melees or shortbow aoes everything won’t work unless you’ve waited for 1 min running around until his elite turrets are gone then go for a kill!

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

• Dodge CC

Its no where near that easy the thief will also be taking damage from turrets. Even vsing a average turret engi gonna take a fair bit of time should be able to kill him at all. As other have said go else where leave him on the point. Go outnumber his team mates and after killing them bring a friend and kill turret engi.

Well this is what I’m doing normally, as there is not much else to do. Besides, when you take down his supply drop. You kind of ruined his elite. Most engi’s stay at the point with their turrets anyway, so if you manage to stay at max range. You can easily dodge all cc’s

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

• Dodge CC

Well this is what I’m doing normally, as there is not much else to do. Besides, when you take down his supply drop. You kind of ruined his elite. Most engi’s stay at the point with their turrets anyway, so if you manage to stay at max range. You can easily dodge all cc’s

the problem is Fortified turrets trait has surrounded reflective shield when created + self repairing turret trait

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

• Dodge CC

the problem is Fortified turrets trait has surrounded reflective shield when created + self repairing turret trait

It might be reflective vs. projectiles but it can’t reflect EXPLOSIONS!!!

in Thief

Posted by: Psymon.4750

Psymon.4750

Usually if im playing s/d thief against an engi i steal and hold onto the throw gunk ability till steal is off recharge. then i use the ability and spam dagger 4 through the field and stack tons of confusion on him. and once he wastes his condi removal/heal i steal and do it again then go in for a few auto attacks or cluster bombs to finish him off. since dagger 4 is a projectile finisher and it bounces the turrets become his own downfall as the confusion bounces back and forth to him and his turrets adding more stack of confusion usually about 2 each use of dagger skill try it out and see how ya like it. and if playing d/d thief same applies but you can also add in some ldb and dagger auto for bleeding and poison to go with ya high damage. i dont ever say a class cant be countered its just no one ever thinks of what tools they have and takes advantage of it.

in Thief

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

Isn’t thief about tactfully picking your battles and securing easier kills? If something about that leads you to fight a turret engy on point, then you are doing it wrong. I’ve played both sides of the coin and I can tell you that even if you think it’s worth going after a bunker turret engy; it’s not.

You should see the match roster at the start of the game and cross engy off the list of targets if you even think he may be running full bunker + turrets.

in Thief

Mayama.1854

Isn’t thief about tactfully picking your battles and securing easier kills? If something about that leads you to fight a turret engy on point, then you are doing it wrong. I’ve played both sides of the coin and I can tell you that even if you think it’s worth going after a bunker turret engy; it’s not.

You should see the match roster at the start of the game and cross engy off the list of targets if you even think he may be running full bunker + turrets.

Yeah exactly dont even freaking bother, people need to get of their high horse and think a thief needs to kill everything. If you try to kill the turret engi 1v1 you are actually play his game. He wants that. That is what he is build for, defending a point against one opponent forever. You wont win that and even if you do it would take so long that your whole team has to fight 4v5 throughout the entire match.

Play thief like hes a healer, rush to anyone in danger and peel/save anyone that gets crushed by a good 1v1 fighter on the enemy team. You are not the leadzor xxx assassin 420 you might want to be, you are freaking robin hood. Help the team. You know the guys that are not specced for 1v1 that help you with their aoe healing and boons. Just because a thief is designed in a egocentric way doesnt mean you have to play it like that.

Your team is the armor you are the weapon, play accordingly and dont let your team down by not freaking strike them at their weak spot.

(edited by Mayama.1854)

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Yeah, I personally don’t bother with an engineer unless they are distracted or wounded since there is way too much going against you and way too much you need to be aware of to win that fight

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]