Hidden Thief Broken?

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: TakaEagle.9486

TakaEagle.9486

Hi,

So i tried a new build out today (P/D) which uses the trait hidden thief. I initially believed it would stealth me so i could immediately do a sneak attack afterwards. However, it instead stealthed me for a short amount of time and my sneak attack din’t go off. I also saw that the stealth cooldown signal was flashing indicating that it DID stealth me. So why would it not activate my sneak attack ability?

EDIT: It seems to work if the mob, enemy has not attacked me yet. But not if they are attacking me.

S H U N P O [TS]
Sea Of Sorrows Commander

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: Gungnir Grimm.7123

Gungnir Grimm.7123

it is a known issue with a pistol main hand. for some reason it makes you auto attack when steal connects making you get revealed. works just fine for other weapons I have used it with though.

Gungnir Grimm – 80 Thief
Gungnir Aurus – 80 Guardian
[AUX] Isle of Janthir

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

the reason is that when you steal you move faster then your bullet (like Remo Williams) so it goes like this:
pistol auto attack —> bullet flies to your enemy —> steal + stealth —> bullet hits your enemy —> stealth drops + revealed debuff

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: TakaEagle.9486

TakaEagle.9486

ah i guess this explains why if i initiate with the steal and haven’t attacked yet; it only works then. Guess i’ll be re-traiting >.>

S H U N P O [TS]
Sea Of Sorrows Commander

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

Why wasting such precious trait slot for a Hidden Thief?Just do C&D+Steal combo and trait something more useful.

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

Why wasting such precious trait slot for a Hidden Thief?Just do C&D+Steal combo and trait something more useful.

like what?

c&d requires 6 initiative and can miss

i use hidden thief and i find it almost mandatory for a heavy stealth build

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

ZLE.8293

like what?

I rest my case!

…the more heavy stealth builds like yours that need 6 ini for C&D,the more points for me…

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

so don’t post if you don’t want to share …

hope to find you out there …

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

ZLE.8293

Is it really so hard to figure it out?
>Shadow Protector
>Shadows Embrace
>Infusion of Shadow
>Cloaked in Shadow
>Shadows Rejuvenation
>Master of Deception(for those who run Shadowstep/Blinding Powder

Any of those is miles ahead of the s**ty Hidden Thief.

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Hidden thief is useless trait. End of story.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

so good there are different opinions … i think having 1 more skill that gives you 3 seconds of stealth (with all related passive benefits) is not so useless

i have shadow’s embrace and shadow’s rejuvenation so “steal” gives me
1 more way to have stealth
2 condition removed
2 stacks of might
3sec of rejuvenation

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

ZLE.8293

@Daendur Steal will still give you Stealth(with all related passive benefits). Just before Steal,you C&D.

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

again … c&d is c&d … steal is steal … 2 different abilities, 2 resource pools (1 time – 1 initiative)
having stealth on steal is better than have to c&d before steal

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I often sheath my pistol quickly before using instant-stealth skills such as hidden thief or smoke screen because pistol’s auto attack almost always messes it up.

Hidden thief is useless trait. End of story.

There’s a lot of creative things you can do with it in WvW, things that can help wipe a whole army.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: Halcyon.5340

Halcyon.5340

With Hidden Thief, stealing JUST after an auto-attack would break stealth, just like Gungnir and Daendur have mentioned; stealing and gaining stealth before your projectile attack hits the target, revealing and pulling you out of stealth as soon as your attack lands.

If you are running P/D, there is no need to get Hidden Thief. It’d just be a wasted trait since you already have a built-in stealth with your off-hand dagger. Just C&D ‘5’ with the off-hand dagger then press the steal button before the attack animation ends; it’s the same thing as gaining stealth “after” steal. Hidden Thief is only ideally for thieves that aren’t using an off-hand dagger or a complete glass cannon back-stab D/D thief with no Mug. I suggest you consider changing Hidden Thief for something else such as Cloaked in Shadow, Infusion of Shadow, Shadow Protector, etc.

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

you know that hidden thief trigger stealth even if no one’s around?
no initiative cost
no target needed
and you keep compairing it with c&d+steal combo …

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Karolis.4261

again … c&d is c&d … steal is steal … 2 different abilities, 2 resource pools (1 time – 1 initiative)

And again having Infusion of Shadow or Cloaked in Shadow outweights the benefit of ini free stealth via steal. Not to mention that it gives only 2 s of stealth, vs 4

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

And again having Infusion of Shadow or Cloaked in Shadow outweights the benefit of ini free stealth via steal. Not to mention that it gives only 2 s of stealth, vs 4

why a cost of 4 ini would be better than 0 ?
Cloaked in Shadow could be a good trait but in my opinion a free stealth is better than a blind.
Also the c&d+steal combo on a target running towards you will fail 99% of the times

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Karolis.4261

Cloaked in Shadow could be a good trait but in my opinion a free stealth is better than a blind.
Also the c&d+steal combo on a target running towards you will fail 99% of the times

Becouse you will get that CnD cost 4 ini all the rime, every other stealth skill u use will give you 2 ini from air and blind on stealth is simply huge. Compare it to ini free 2 second stealth every 45 second and you have the answer. And CnD+steal very rarelly fails even when oponent is running towards you. If hes charging at you, doesnt mean you should do the same while casting CnD.

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

Becouse you will get that CnD cost 4 ini all the rime, every other stealth skill u use will give you 2 ini from air and blind on stealth is simply huge. Compare it to ini free 2 second stealth every 45 second and you have the answer. And CnD+steal very rarelly fails even when oponent is running towards you. If hes charging at you, doesnt mean you should do the same while casting CnD.

i’ll try.

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Hidden thief is awesome IMO.

You can de-select any target and hit steal and get stealth. I use this sometimes when running away from a zerg or something.

Works really well when you are out of init and can’t cnd. Steal, stealth, BS or Daze…

Just another noob thief…

Hidden Thief Broken?

in Thief

ZLE.8293

What else can i say?If you like it,then so be it.Good Luck!