How do I backstab?

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Kameron.9846

Kameron.9846

Hi guys, I don’t know if it’s just me but I’m having problems controlling my thief enough to get off a proper backstab, even on monsters. I’m only level 28, and I’m using a semi-traditional mouse and keyboard. It’s a R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse. I use C&D but then when I try to run around the monster, it’s hard for me to get my camera lined up in time to hit them in the back before I unstealth. Is there a way to roll around them or is there a camera setting or something, I should be using that will help me get back there faster? I’m pretty confused when it comes to this class. Also, do you guys have any pointers on what skills and traits I should be running with for just normal PVE play?

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Practice running around the dummies in Lions arch maybe? I never really had a problem with positioning. Remember CnD isn’t instant. As for the camera try keeping your right mouse button pressed at all times using it to pan constantly (this is pretty essential esp in PvP when you need awareness of whats behind/around you)

Here a post thats kinda dead atm, but hopefully will come up with some real answers for a good spec.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/The-best-PvE-build-for-thiefs/first#post2621949

(edited by Zepidel.5349)

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Put mouse sensitivity pretty high and comfortable.

Cloak and Dagger and hold the right mouse button and aim the screen towards the
monster run above 90 degrees around the monster strafing, then land your backstab.

Successful backstab area (it’s a crocodile from above ! ):

Attachments:

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Zepidel.5349

monster run above 90 degrees around the monster strafing, then land your backstab.

im pretty sure thats a platypus

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Like Ghostwolf said. I assume you’re just running straight ahead then turning, when what you should be doing is strafing sideways around your target while continuing to face them.

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Kameron.9846

Kameron.9846

Do you guys keep the camera locked or do you use free cam?

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

I assume that Zepidel meant to say hold down your right mouse button at all times while playing.

Two questions for you:

1. How do you turn? By this I mean, do you turn using your A and D keys?
  2. How do you use your skills? By this I mean, do you click on them on the bar?

The answer to those two questions will help a lot.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Zepidel.5349

I assume that Zepidel meant to say hold down your right mouse button at all times while playing.

Two questions for you:

1. How do you turn? By this I mean, do you turn using your A and D keys?
  2. How do you use your skills? By this I mean, do you click on them on the bar?

The answer to those two questions will help a lot.

ya fixed it sorry i got some weird binds. I’m assuming his problem is not panning around.

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Well, the only reasonable problem that I can think of is that he is keyturning, because to be honest I’ve never had a problem landing a Backstab in PvE and I just don’t see how it’s possible to have so much trouble with mouse turning. :S

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

im pretty sure thats a platypus

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Bjornen.5218

Bjornen.5218

There is also an option activated by default that makes enemies solid so you can’t go through them. If you deactivate it, it is easier to go for the target’s back.

How do I backstab?

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

PvE is a lot harder to back stab then PvP because a lot of monster have animation that auto track you in cloak turning them around.