How do you get your thief to one hit kill?

in Thief

Posted by: darksouls.3908

darksouls.3908

I saw a lot of thief’s on hit kill people and I do not know how they did it I have a thief and I can not one hit kill people so I don’t get it if someone reads this please help me

in Thief

darksouls.3908

ops I meant one not on

in Thief

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You might try the Thief sub-forum.

Good luck.

p.s. You can edit any of your posts by clicking the little pencil icon in the lower right.

in Thief

darksouls.3908

ops I meant one hit kill not on hit kill

in Thief

darksouls.3908

Where do I find that?

in Thief

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

in Thief

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I saw a lot of thief’s on hit kill people and I do not know how they did it I have a thief and I can not one hit kill people so I don’t get it if someone reads this please help me

Were they hitting someone in berzerker gear, while having all their procs to go along with a dodge-into-and-hit attack that triggered several damaging things. It’s not all that far away from 20k burst in one or two attacks, which is around the HP of a zerker player…

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Unless the Opponent. Is in full zerker Thieves can’t one shot kill, normally they use three attacks for most huge burst, one of the original huge burst combos was Coak and Dagger into Steal into Backstab after popping all signets.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Here’s some demonstration of 1 Hits. Feel free to PM me for information

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

While D/P and in Stealth: Shadow Shot -> (Dodge ->) About Face key (keybind R for me) -> Backstab+Steal -> Heartseeker
This is when they are facing you, and you need to get behind them for the Backstab. Shadow Shots bullet part doesn’t do damage so it doesn’t break stealth but you need to be dodging through the target as the projectile hits so the timing is of critical importance.
If you are not dodging at the right time, you will not go through your opponent and Shadow Shots dagger attack will commence, breaking your stealth.
That’s the hard part, now just turn around and assault your target with all you’ve got. Thieves certainly can’t 1-shot kill technically but it appears like that because the attacks happen in such a quick succession that there’s practically no difference.

The simpler rotation for when you’re alrdy behind your target is seen in Aikijin video, so I won’t comment on that further. (to be fair, this might’ve been in there as well, I didn’t watch all of it)

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

(edited by Yannir.4132)

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

While D/P and in Stealth: Shadow Shot -> (Dodge ->) About Face key (keybind R for me) -> Backstab+Steal -> Heartseeker
This is when they are facing you, and you need to get behind them for the Backstab. Shadow Shots bullet part doesn’t do damage so it doesn’t break stealth but you need to be dodging through the target as the projectile hits so the timing is of critical importance.
If you are not dodging at the right time, you will not go through your opponent and Shadow Shots dagger attack will commence, breaking your stealth.
That’s the hard part, now just turn around and assault your target with all you’ve got. Thieves certainly can’t 1-shot kill technically but it appears like that because the attacks happen in such a quick succession that there’s practically no difference.

The simpler rotation for when you’re alrdy behind your target is seen in Aikijin video, so I won’t comment on that further. (to be fair, this might’ve been in there as well, I didn’t watch all of it)

The Simple rotation is get behind the foe’s back and stab. There really is nothing to complex or complicated about it. Generally you will always see me with 12+ stacks of Lead attacks, with the Bounding Dodger damage modifier active as well. No shadowshot stuff needed.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: BikeIsGone.8675

BikeIsGone.8675

Since i see a lot of detailed explanations on positioning and damage-modifier stacking i think, I will give you a more basic break-down.

Firstly, it’s important to notice, that Steal has no cast-time and can therefor be used WHILE casting something else, without interrupting the original attack. This means for example, that you can precast powerful attacks even from range and use steal to get into melee-range just as the attack is about to hit. This is what allows you to do some incredible burst combos.

A few basic examples:

Backstab + Steal: BS has a very short cast time of .25 seconds, so you can precast it and steal to your target just before the cast is finished.

Heartseeker + Steal: Same principle applies here. Cast Heartseeker, and while in mid air, you can use steal.

Pistolwhip + Steal. Same principle as With backstab.

As said, this is the very base principal, which you can expand with various mechanics to get an even bigger burst.

(edited by BikeIsGone.8675)

in Thief

Posted by: rbbthole.9074

rbbthole.9074

Larcenous Strike + Steal: Since Flanking strike doesn’t actually have to hit the target to give access to the chain skill, you can use it as an evade. Then precast LS and steal as the cast is about to hit.

lol

in Thief

Posted by: BikeIsGone.8675

BikeIsGone.8675

Larcenous Strike + Steal: Since Flanking strike doesn’t actually have to hit the target to give access to the chain skill, you can use it as an evade. Then precast LS and steal as the cast is about to hit.

lol

true, lel. let me edit

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

lol

lol Whet?

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

lol

lol Whet?

Yea I’m not sure what he’s saying. FS needs to land in order to gain access to LS.

As far as the OP goes, you need to play an all-in full-offensive build for the most part, and connect with squishier targets. You will not OHKO anything tanky or when utilizing any meta build. You’ll need to likely play mostly Berserker or Valkyrie gear (issues with critting), maybe with a few pieces of Marauder.

CS/DA/DrD is optimal but CS/Tr/DrD taking all damage modifier traits or CS/DA/Tr can also get there, though core thief is kind of absolutely horrible except for the condi ghost build.

D/D technically has the best combo burst but D/P is very close and much more effective in general, typically. P/P has the highest single-target burst potential in the game per cast, and S/P follows closely and can deal more on engaging hits from on-interrupt effects like Impacting Disruption + Sigil of Draining on a double interrupt from SoH and the stun on PW. Post-CnD backstab (due to the new 5 vuln) is now tied with Vault for highest damage on a single hit.

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I still use my variation of this build (dash instead of bound and P/P instead of SB) and Ive one shot lots (usually 2/3 shot things). Very strong and consumables play a huge part in it.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

I still use my variation of this build (dash instead of bound and P/P instead of SB) and Ive one shot lots (usually 2/3 shot things). Very strong and consumables play a huge part in it.

Yeah man, The Food is one of the key components to how and why I hit so hard. And in my next montage(Coming soon), You’ll see me Backstab a foe for 17k (1shot) and spike him whilst I engage into their mini zerg. EU has been good to me, and I’ve already accumulated 60+ clips worth of footage.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Yeah man, The Food is one of the key components to how and why I hit so hard. And in my next montage(Coming soon), You’ll see me Backstab a foe for 17k (1shot) and spike him whilst I engage into their mini zerg. EU has been good to me, and I’ve already accumulated 60+ clips worth of footage.

EU is that bad in WvW?

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

EU is that bad in WvW?

No, EU is a ton better than NA Skill, and Tactics wise, everyone knows this. It was just an unfortunate circumstance the foe was in. He was full Health as well, you guys will see soon enough. I have 17ks, 15ks, 14k, 13k clips to showcase. My previous montage only showcased 10-12k stabs. I had to improve. And of course there are plenty of Outnumbered footage as well.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

EU is that bad in WvW?

No, EU is a ton better than NA Skill, and Tactics wise, everyone knows this. It was just an unfortunate circumstance the foe was in. He was full Health as well, you guys will see soon enough. I have 17ks, 15ks, 14k, 13k clips to showcase. My previous montage only showcased 10-12k stabs. I had to improve. And of course there are plenty of Outnumbered footage as well.

What server did you switch too?

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

EU is that bad in WvW?

What server did you switch too?

I Transferred to Blacktide with Kiritsugu. I guess Blacktide is paired to Piken Square. So I am Piken. Fought some very good players from Zen. FSP and Riverside was a treat. Now we are t3, and matched with Gandaara and Kodash. Very good roaming in EU, roaming fights are plentiful.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

How can you push more damage than in your previous vid? Most damage I gave from backstab is just shy of 13k.

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

How can you push more damage than in your previous vid? Most damage I gave from backstab is just shy of 13k.

Run full Signet Thief

in Thief

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Run full Signet Thief

Thats just being silly you silly goose. Full signet you lose so much for a bit of damage…I was also referring to his build in general…Only way to get it would be to replace bandits defense with power signet (but you lose your block). I personally ditched it for Imparing Daggers (the one that immobs cause…you know…if they cannot run then they is ded plus it adds a bit more damage)

in Thief

Posted by: Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Kawloon Fuathach.3807

I usually run a full Berserker’s P/D + X ; Force/Impact, with Scholar Runes; Trap build, stacking as many damage modifiers as possible in order to achieve the maximum amount of damage. Lose a hell of a lot of fights, but, that big ol’ damage number is always satisfying. CS + DA + Trk or DD for Traitlines.

Personally I’ve hit upwards of 21k+ With backstab alone in the most ideal scenario, a bit more if I use Mug instead of Trappers Respite, which tacks on an extra couple thousand damage. And mind you this is in sPvP, not WvW or PvE.

Trickery Varient

Daredevil Varient

Pretty much a standard glass, and both variants are nearly identical outside of the third traitline and heal skill.

Wilhelm The Pursuer

(edited by Kawloon Fuathach.3807)

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

It was just the Ele was most likely full Zerker, Scholar rune, full zerker trinkets, etc. I can provide you the link to the backstab. You can see that I didn’t have any former buffs or might stack on me either.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Run full Signet Thief

Thats just being silly you silly goose. Full signet you lose so much for a bit of damage…I was also referring to his build in general…Only way to get it would be to replace bandits defense with power signet (but you lose your block). I personally ditched it for Imparing Daggers (the one that immobs cause…you know…if they cannot run then they is ded plus it adds a bit more damage)

That’s just the nature of it, though. That or play with Sadow Trap and run DA/CS/DrD with HM/Bound as Trickery is technically a loss. Assassin’s Signet plays a substantial role in boosting damage to huge values since it scales everything as well. One can elect CS/Tr/DrD for a bigger backstab, but will lose out on damage overall from no longer having Mug.

As Aiki mentions, a lot of the crazy huge stabs come from the target being squish more than anything. This is rare now given HoT. His build honestly hurts mostly from the mixed and simultaneous hits of Mug, PI, and the stab combined into a smooth burst combo, and stacking into power and ferocity appropriately.

There is not really a universally good build that hurts so much consistently on Tankier targets. You’re either making big sacrifices for the most part or aren’t going to deal the damage as consistently.