How do you take on D/P thief?

in Thief

Posted by: Karma Crimzin.5079

Karma Crimzin.5079

My current set up is S/D P/P and was wondering if someone can give me tips on how to take on D/P thief? the fight for me is pretty hard and i get rolled almost in seconds and i know there is something im not understanding about the match up and and getting out played like crazy thanks in advance. If it helps here’s a link to my build im using right now im focusing on structured pvp since wvw is a whole other dynamic im going to tackle on later once i get more control of match ups with different classes and fellow thiefs.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAsY6an8lCFPhNOBGmC8PhFYCzLNcGaDzhwTYLULBEA2NA-TpRSABAs/QrlBM+gAo9JAQ8jAA3PAAA

Karma Crimzin – Guardian
Guild: Legion Thirteen [LT]
Server: Maguuma

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

D/P has better stealth uptime. All you have is offhand dagger.

Both S/D and P/P generally require a target. If they have more stealth they can shut you down more than you can shut them down.

This gives most of the control of the fight to the D/P thief and lets them beat you without exposing themselves to much risk.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Oh its very easy. Condi, condi and even more condi. Just when he thinks you are done, add some more condi on top to overcome any cleanse.

In WvW d/p thieves is literally the reason condi roaming meta exist. Like, they’re not actual cancer but they are the cells causing cancer.

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

While dp has more stealth, u have more dodge with sword #3 n withdraw with #2. The matchup is hard, and what mostlikely kills u is continous backstabs from stealth, maybe try and predict by dodging. If u got distance n thief is stealthed u often hear dp #3 tp shot which gives u 0,3 sec to dodge. Dont burn ur stealfrom the get go, its a game of cooldowns

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Also, keep moving and changing directions. If you are visible you don’t have to be predictable.

Stay mobile and jump away or dodge the Shadow Shots to reduce your exposure. IR will probably be a good counter when you see blind appear on your bar.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

to the main point. you have 0 condi clear at all, nothing. unless you get seed from ranger or ecto from mesmer. the utilatys you have are a poor choice on d/p (that is assuming you are running the same skills)

you need shadow step and signet of agility at least to be useful because even the most passive condi procs will reck you hard.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

S/d CAN to an extent use 2 on the weaponset to try and avoid that atack incoming form stealth.

While the first part of 2 will not port, it does set a spot for a return port. If fighting d/p wherein he stealths up for his attack you can use #2 run across the map in some weaving way and direction and try and time another use of #2 just when he expected to attack. This can save you on dodges and generally if using this and a mix of dodges you will win the INI war.

Easier said then done and the higher access to stealth via DE might work to address this disadvantage.

in Thief

Posted by: Karma Crimzin.5079

Karma Crimzin.5079

S/d CAN to an extent use 2 on the weaponset to try and avoid that atack incoming form stealth.

While the first part of 2 will not port, it does set a spot for a return port. If fighting d/p wherein he stealths up for his attack you can use #2 run across the map in some weaving way and direction and try and time another use of #2 just when he expected to attack. This can save you on dodges and generally if using this and a mix of dodges you will win the INI war.

Easier said then done and the higher access to stealth via DE might work to address this disadvantage.

I was thinking the same thing when DE becomes available I feel it would work really well with S/D and P/P even Rifle might work when everyone gets use to the fact that its suppose to feel a little slower but harder hitting from the other weapons. so far i changed the build to add the condi removal signet but i don’t really like shadowstep I get the ground target but I like the condi removal to be instant not waste a dang 50 sec cooldown on 3 condi. That’s just me though as I’ve seen other people use the skill with amazing success.

Karma Crimzin – Guardian
Guild: Legion Thirteen [LT]
Server: Maguuma