How is thief roaming? (WvW)

in Thief

Posted by: despair.1385

despair.1385

i prefer to roam/solo instead of going with the zerg, i made warrior but got bored of it so going to try thief next. is thief the best roaming class? and is it fun?

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Best roaming class, no. But it’s strong at escaping, and that’s always handy in WvW.
But as a thief you may find 1v1’s or 1v2’s that takes a lot more effort and carefulness than on other roaming classes like engineer, mesmer or warrior.
Do you like challenge? In return you may also find fights that can seem a lot more smoother than the ones you’ll find on the above 3.

Fun? That’s more or less personal, if you are a fan of assassins, thugs, bandits, rogues and ninjas it may always lead you to the class that represents them. Then however you might not enjoy the weaponsets or mechanisms. On thieves, pretty much your main dmg is always on #1, and on sets like S/P and P/P burst goes on #3, this may make you feel like you’re really limited in options how to deal your dmg to your foes, it’s fully the opposite to Elementalist which has many options on how to set up their dmg.
What really is challenging on thief is to know when to disengage or when to go full assault, what to use your dodges for (unless in a dodgy build) and how to counter your enemy. It’s many times unforgiving to fail a dodge, necromancers can for instance stack you with really long chills (7+ seconds), with a lot of other conditions on top of that, all while you are feared. And thieves don’t have any burst cleanse for conditions except runes of lyssa. But that 7+ seconds chill from staff is on 20 seconds cooldown, and you’re either dead or really low health after the necro has stacked his conditions, 10.8k base hp, a signet of spite + a dhuumfire proc goes through that if you don’t have any ways to cleanse.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Thief

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Yes. I’m at 700+ ranks, almost all from roaming / supply camp flipping. It’s usually insanely fun, or I wouldn’t do it.

Can’t right now, but I’ll come post some tips later.

in Thief

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Thief is the best roaming class, hands down. Unlike warriors, thieves can actually kill targets and easily escape danger.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: stinkypants.8419

stinkypants.8419

I enjoy it immensely, oddly calm and tense at the same time. Out solo I can flip camps, harass groups (see escapability), and look for fights which can go either way.

Best is small group roaming though. The ability to go stealth while your teammates are fighting give you many windows to misdirect the enemy and cause general havoc. Stealth stomps too are great to prevent those revives.

(Alvyn | Crystal Desert )

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Thief is by far the best “roaming” class, and escape class. But the class that get sponsored by Nike footwear are Warriors.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: execullent.8560

execullent.8560

Thief is by far the best “roaming” class, and escape class. But the class that get sponsored by Nike footwear are Warriors.

Haha yeah!!!

in Thief

Posted by: Steinpilz.5078

Steinpilz.5078

I like to join this thread.

I tried to make a build for solo roaming and would like to know if it will work.
The build is based on poisons.
Build.

in Thief

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Thief is the best roaming class, hands down. Unlike warriors, thieves can actually kill targets and easily escape danger.

Dead on.

And if you find thief to squishy, or too easy, you can roll ranger.
The playstyles are not too different, however the ranger can take more of a beating. The huge downside is that rangers are hated by everyone so you will be attacked by anyone hostile to you. Even ambient creatures dislikes you.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU