How much harassment have you got?

in Thief

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I started playing thief one day ago for sPvP.

I had 10 players harassing me saying I am a terrible player when they are on the ground dying. I never had received this much harassment while playing any other profession, especially the engineer which is my favorite and best class. Is this a thief only thing or is it just me?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

I tend to advise heartseeker spam thieves on how to improve. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing my main profession played so poorly

Aurora Glade [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

People don’t like thieves. Never have and never will…

I only tell people they are bad players when they play bad. Doesn’t matter what class they are on.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

People hate Thieves and put the blame on the class being cheap and for keyboard turning scrubs rather than learning their class and improving their own game.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

This right here:

Attachments:

in Thief

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I tend to advise heartseeker spam thieves on how to improve. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing my main profession played so poorly

Please teach me!

I do not consider myself a good thief even though I killed a lot of players. I heartseeker spam a lot because it kills. If a good thief knows better way, I want to learn.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

no HS spammer will kill anyone unless they are already dmg’d by somebody else alot. :P you cannot solo anyoen using HS. if they are 40% or so and under…HS is what u want. simple. its the trick/work to get them under that intial 50%

in Thief

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

IMO the haters are the ones who don’t have a firm grasp of the class mechanics. More experienced players who know how to counter thieves just don’t seem to carry the same hate. The fact you were in sPVP and on a brand new character, supports this.

I do not consider myself a good thief even though I killed a lot of players. I heartseeker spam a lot because it kills. If a good thief knows better way, I want to learn.

http://www.twitch.tv/loljumper/c/1817891

If you think heartseeker kills, check this twitch vid.

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

IMO the haters are the ones who don’t have a firm grasp of the class mechanics. More experienced players who know how to counter thieves just don’t seem to carry the same hate. The fact you were in sPVP and on a brand new character, supports this.

0:32

R.I.P. those days

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I had 10 players harassing me saying I am a terrible player when they are on the ground dying. I never had received this much harassment while playing any other profession, especially the engineer which is my favorite and best class. Is this a thief only thing or is it just me?

People just really hate Thieves. Especially dumb people.
Many many times I’ve downed a person in sPvP, only to have them say something like “lol HS spam!” because I finished them with two Heartseekers after they got low.

in Thief

Posted by: multani.1452

multani.1452

Meh I simply just let them cry and complain. Their tears fuel my existence in this realm anyway.

“I got ten voices in my head and NONE of them like you.”
~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

in Thief

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

A lot… and it comes in all forms…

- hot-join sPvP complains thiefs are OP
- tPvP complains thiefs are crap
- WvW you get party invites from opponents on other servers to QQ about how you suck for killing them in a small fight with a OP build.
- PvE dungeons pugs tell you to get another alt(warrior or mes) because thiefs die too easy (even before the first run)…

That was great!

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

Meh I simply just let them cry and complain. Their tears fuel my existence in this realm anyway.

This

I get a lot no matter what the spec I am running on thief or Ele… BUT… once they feel compelled to complain, I feel compelled to follow them around griefing them over and over It makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Here’s a pro harassment tip. Heartseeker was MADE to create anger. Hang around for a while until someone who bad mouthed you is limping around, doing well against multiple enemies… you know… having a great fight. Then smash 2222222222. And laugh maniacally.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

If you get accused of hacking, playing an OP build or just being a noob in general when you kill other players, I take it as a compliment and it means your playing the profession properly :P

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

It’s easy to identify bad Thieves.

1) Then don’t dodge/evade – Obviously they played other games where dodge and evade are passive even if they are just standing doing nothing.
2) They don’t stealth – They stay targetable for too long.
3) They don’t position well – There’s only 2 positions: behind and far away.
4) They waste initiative – HS spam is a big indication.
5) They try to take down some one when it’s obvious from the initial strike that they are on the losing end.

But I never harass anyone, that’s just an immature behavior.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

maybe you overuse HS. HS spam spam when their HP is @ above 50 or 60% is not a good idea. most newbie thieves doin that. i usually HS when goin to stealth or when enemy is atleast 30%hp below

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

This right here:

yea. haters gonna hate no matter what.. no matter how good or bad you are

in Thief

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

So please explain the counter for this…

Two thieves vs 20+

The only times when they are visible are;

When they have the ability to evade,
When they are out of range, and
When they are behind someone bursting them down.

While they did take damage, they didn’t take enough damage to die before that stealth debuff wears off and poof. They’re gone. When they become visible again, they have most (or all) of their health back, most (or all) of any conditions are gone.

Two against 20 and it was basicaly a stalemate. They were able to down players, but couldn’t finish any of us off. Too many people reviving.

No amount of skill can stand up to the sheer numbers we had. It is a crutch mechanic pure and simple.

in Thief

Posted by: multani.1452

multani.1452

It’s easy to identify bad Thieves.

1) Then don’t dodge/evade – Obviously they played other games where dodge and evade are passive even if they are just standing doing nothing.
2) They don’t stealth – They stay targetable for too long.
3) They don’t position well – There’s only 2 positions: behind and far away.
4) They waste initiative – HS spam is a big indication.
5) They try to take down some one when it’s obvious from the initial strike that they are on the losing end.

But I never harass anyone, that’s just an immature behavior.

6) They fight you in a straight line instead of maneuvering constantly around you

7) They always try and shadow refuge near you to escape (seriously people try and get some distance from me before throwing it down…I know yer still in there)

“I got ten voices in my head and NONE of them like you.”
~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

o.O’
I normally get whispered saying stuff like “good fight” and “well played” either if i win or lose.

I do the same as well and actually made some friends and got invited to join some tournament teams even.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

You’ll be yelled at if you spam HS or not, because people just hate Rogue archetypes. It’s as simple as that.

Fought a bunker ele in an sPvP duel (the quiet servers) – the whole fight was at least 5 minutes, and I think during that whole time I used it 3 times – twice as a gap closer (not in a row, just as he/she backed off two separate times) and the last time to finish him/her off. Apparently I “spammed” it, and I should feel bad.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

death blossom spam < HS spam
take note mindtrick
`

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Not much actually.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: Jinks.2057

Jinks.2057

Two thieves vs 20+

While they did take damage, they didn’t take enough damage to die before that stealth debuff wears off and poof. They’re gone. When they become visible again, they have most (or all) of their health back, most (or all) of any conditions are gone.

Two against 20 and it was basicaly a stalemate. They were able to down players, but couldn’t finish any of us off. Too many people reviving.

No amount of skill can stand up to the sheer numbers we had. It is a crutch mechanic pure and simple.

I’ve done this solo, and quite frankly it isn’t a crutch/OP thing.

This is simply not one of those 20 ppl using CC. In a 1v1 fight a good mesmer/ele/warrior/guard/engi/necro will abuse thieves with CC. How can someone beat that same thief 1v1 if 20 players can not? If those thieves were so OP to be able to take on 20 players…..a single player should stand absolutely NO chance right?

Problem is skill level. Those thieves completely and utterly outplayed every single 1 of you. Solo you yourself had zero chance of beating even one of those thieves, because you yourself were not as good as them.

Not trying to flame you, but I’m only here helping you understand what happened. Roll a thief and try to do what those thieves did. After dying horribly a few times you’ll understand what i mean.

p.s. Most new thieves nowadays tend to find a mentor type thief to help them learn to play the class. I personally on many occasions have taught thieves on a opposing servers how to play after dumping them repeatedly. Those are the players who understand what I’m saying and eventually become 1 of those 2 thieves you had problems with.

in Thief

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I’ve never been harrassed, but I have been left out. I mostly WvW and the thief just isn’t providing enough to the current meta for me to contirbute. I feel like all I do is blast finishers and shoot my shortbow at range until we’re at the stage we’re mopping things up or running for our lives.

I will also agree with what Jinks has said. I haven’t PvP’d with anyone else yet, but you’d be surprised how many thieves out there are willing to help with questions and answers about the class. I had an hour long discussion just the other day with a thief I never met before that day about issues I was having.

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

I’ve conquered Lupicus solo multiple times, I’ve soloed the entire CoE dungeon, I’ve done hundreds of fractals and thousands of every other dungeon. With all that said, I still can’t get a group to accept me for CoF. Wtf

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

in Thief

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Two thieves vs 20+

Worst 20 players ever. Enough said.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in Thief

Deamhan.9538

This is simply not one of those 20 ppl using CC. In a 1v1 fight a good mesmer/ele/warrior/guard/engi/necro will abuse thieves with CC. How can someone beat that same thief 1v1 if 20 players can not? If those thieves were so OP to be able to take on 20 players…..a single player should stand absolutely NO chance right?

Problem is skill level. Those thieves completely and utterly outplayed every single 1 of you. Solo you yourself had zero chance of beating even one of those thieves, because you yourself were not as good as them.

Not trying to flame you, but I’m only here helping you understand what happened. Roll a thief and try to do what those thieves did. After dying horribly a few times you’ll understand what i mean.

p.s. Most new thieves nowadays tend to find a mentor type thief to help them learn to play the class. I personally on many occasions have taught thieves on a opposing servers how to play after dumping them repeatedly. Those are the players who understand what I’m saying and eventually become 1 of those 2 thieves you had problems with.

I read the whole thing but should’ve stopped with the bolded part. You sir are beyond ignorant if you think that 20+ people consisting of every profession did not use CC. I alone, used both crippling shot and concussion shot and switched to my GS for Swoop to close the distance quick and follow it up with hilt bash. CD’s permitting of course. Then there are my pets which I bring for CC above all else as I like to kite with my SB over using the GS.

Since plenty of CC was used and didn’t counter it, I ask again. What is the counter?

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Since plenty of CC was used and didn’t counter it, I ask again. What is the counter?

Immobilisation.

You have now killed every cheesing zerg thief ever. You’re welcome.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Immobilisation.

Now I’m wondering what are these “plenty of CC” are. :P

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I read the whole thing but should’ve stopped with the bolded part. You sir are beyond ignorant if you think that 20+ people consisting of every profession did not use CC. I alone, used both crippling shot and concussion shot and switched to my GS for Swoop to close the distance quick and follow it up with hilt bash. CD’s permitting of course. Then there are my pets which I bring for CC above all else as I like to kite with my SB over using the GS.

Unless you were fighting a S/D thief they would probably have two or less stun breakers, so a simple stun and AoE the crap out of the area should have been enough. We just have a few stun breakers, so if the thief got stunned and then stealth we you should have attacked the area the thief were in and the area close. That would have killed them in 1 second…

To the OP:
Yes, I get harassed a lot. Even if I’m running S/P and not even stealthing once I’ll get told that I’m a HS spamming noob. People just hate us.

The other day I was playing my D/D Elementalist and the opposing team were calling me a HS spamming noob and say that thieves are OP. Looks to me like any class wielding daggers and kill other players are thieves in other players eyes…

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

When I see a party invite in WvW, I know I did something right.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Deamhan.9538

I’ve already listed the CC I used.

One cripple and two that are daze (stun if hit from behind). I went with duel spiders. Each with web (immobalize), and one has a stun. I could’ve brought more with utilities, especially being Sylvari but I shouldn’t have had to considering our numbers.

Although now I have a particular build in mind that I think I’ll try out.

in Thief

Posted by: Tengu.4209

Tengu.4209

I’ve had some hate for being a “Good” Thief and being able to kill people…let alone for my postings on the forum for my Mesmer Hate and Thief love I’ve had players post Guild Requests with my Screenname and account name saying a ton of nasty things about me and more but…as the picture said, Haters gonna Hate.

Devona’s Rest – [Tsuk]
Ajini – Thief – Commander

in Thief

Posted by: avilo.1942

avilo.1942

Immobilisation.

Omg, you’ve opened pandora’s box! Don’t tell the noobs about immobilization, they’ll think it’s a myth or witchcraft.

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Pretty much everytime someone /joins my party after I kill them (usually 1-2 times every ~2 hours of roaming) I get called cheap thief who has no skills while I look at their dead bodies on the ground. Many times a thief is even part of their group. ^^

in Thief

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Two thieves vs 20+

I call BS on this…

20 people focusing on a thief or 2 and dont get it killed?? With stealth not breaking channeled attacks?? with aoe?

20 people dont even need CC to get a thief down!
2 people need to CC a thief, not 5 or 10… 20?

You are just pulling stuff out of you bottom or you are walking around with the 19 worst players ever, when they all made new characters and are lvl 2 out of the tutorial using keyboard turn and mouse-clicking their 1 skill (into chat), while standing still and havent found out about the heal skill yet.

in Thief

Deamhan.9538

Two thieves vs 20+

I call BS on this…

20 people focusing on a thief or 2 and dont get it killed?? With stealth not breaking channeled attacks?? with aoe?

You are just pulling stuff out of you bottom or you are walking around with the 19 worst players ever, when they all made new characters and are lvl 2 out of the tutorial using keyboard turn and mouse-clicking their 1 skill (into chat), while standing still and havent found out about the heal skill yet.

Next time I’ll try to record it. It’s no BS at all. WvW Darkhaven up at Titan. After killing one thief (which took almost 10 min), there was just one more. That guy held out for 5+ min against 20 or more of us. I can’t remember if we finally got him or he ran however for 5 min it was a stalemate. I don’t have the check box for showing all friendly pc name tags checked. That 20 or so is an estimate on the name tags I could see and not including the players that were there that didn’t have name tags. Which is why I say 20+.

That was the most extreme case. I have, on many occasions, have been part of 5 or 6 man squads that get pushed back by just one or two thieves. No, I’ve not been running with the same 4 or 5 players every time. Much of the time it has been with at least one map commander (ie, Zen) who are very good pvp’ers.

It’s a ‘too often’ occurrence for it to be skill. I would see it if it was just the same one or two thieves every time but it’s not. The evidence of what actually happens on the field is just too overwhelming. It’s a straight up crutch mechanic that is low skill for high reward.

(edited by Deamhan.9538)

in Thief

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Two thieves vs 20+

I call BS on this…

Next time I’ll try to record it. It’s no BS at all. WvW Darkhaven up at Titan. After killing one thief (which took almost 10 min), there was just one more. That guy held out for 5+ min against 20 or more of us. I can’t remember if we finally got him or he ran however for 5 min it was a stalemate. I don’t have the check box for showing all friendly pc name tags checked. That 20 or so is an estimate on the name tags I could see and not including the players that were there that didn’t have name tags. Which is why I say 20+.

That was the most extreme case. I have, on many occasions, have been part of 5 or 6 man squads that get pushed back by just one or two thieves. No, I’ve not been running with the same 4 or 5 players every time. Much of the time it has been with at least one map commander (ie, Zen) who are very good pvp’ers.

It’s a ‘too often’ occurrence for it to be skill. I would see it if it was just the same one or two thieves every time but it’s not. The evidence of what actually happens on the field is just too overwhelming. It’s a straight up crutch mechanic that is low skill for high reward.

yup happened to us too. 1 thief in inner lordsroom kept stealthing, then visible for less than a sec and then kept whispering to us u will never find me losers….

we were 10 people trying to aoe the hell out of the lordsroom after 5 min we gave up.

u walk out of the keep and get ganked by 3 thieves hiding and just hoping to gank people…which other class does that?

keep is perma contested by 1 thief

that’s why people hate thieves.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Two thieves vs 20+

Invisibility=/=Invincibility.

Time their C&D, when you see them pop SR, AoE the hell out of it. As soon as they’re out of stealth, use an Immobilize or CC, they won’t be able to survive for more than 2 secs if you got 20+ people on them.

in Thief

Posted by: xmtrcv.5236

xmtrcv.5236

I get backlash and harassment on occasion, as do all Thieves, I am sure. I recently started keeping screenshots of all the comments directed either at me or Thieves in general. (see signature)

Let the Thief hate flow through you. ;)

Damage Dolly
we all began as something else

(edited by xmtrcv.5236)

in Thief

Deamhan.9538

CC =/= Anti-invisibility

Only stun, daze and fear can prevent active cloaking.

They don’t prevent passive cloaking. Once cloaked and everybody loses their target, the cc is only for a short duration anyway. Place-able AoE cc is even more limited and the ones you’d want at this point to immobilize him so you can apply damage to the area. They can escape immobilization at this point without breaking stealth.

Also if traited, loses one condition upon entering stealth, another 3 seconds later and regenerates most of the health back.

Don’t confuse having CC as being the only counter with have CC as a reliable counter. The only way the CC will work is if;

1. You messed up on your timings
2. You have all your ways to handle CC on CD while the other person’s CC is not.

Basically CC as a counter is a game of Russion Roulette. It’s also a game where greater numbers don’t really help because people are not gonna time their skills off each other causing a lot of wasted CC.

VS. a zerg of even 10 or more and it shouldn’t be Russian Roulette. The drum should be fully loaded at this point and the thief should bite the bullet.