How to beat PU Mesmers with GS + Sw/P?

in Thief

Posted by: ShadowNinja.1238

ShadowNinja.1238

I had a wall of text and a tl;dr but my computer shut down and so now I’ll just summarise it.

How do you beat PU Mesmers with GS + Sw/P as a d/p tanky hidden killer thief (0/30/30/10/0) I had a mixture of cavalier, valkyrie and berserker gear but mostly cavalier. Basically I get hurt by so much protection uptime and aegis and how the phantasmal duelist kinda counters stealth and phantasmal berserker hurts so much. Also the sword evades for so long as well as its burst. I don’t have a secondary weapon yet as I am still thinking which ones but so far I’m thinking about S/D to steal protection. Thanks for all your input!

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

you don’t lol.

Or you fight some 30 min long fight where both of you just do negative damage to each other, and regen/bore each other to death.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yeah, this is one of those fights where D/D actually does better. It’s still a pain though and 9/10 times it’s just better to walk away.

PU Mesmer that don’t want to die, won’t.

in Thief

Posted by: Domey.9804

Domey.9804

play dagger offhand , cnd on phantasms (they often die to it, cuz not traited).
so with cnd you 1. outstealth them , 2.kill their dmg source.
btw gs+sw/p is not a real power pu built and you could easily win if you wouldnt play cheese d/p. this mes has only 2 stealths (decoy+mass invis).

id played triple sword power pu in wvw too just to troll d/p thieves. but got melted by dagger offhand ones.

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

You don’t really need S/D, bountiful theft is usually enough. Sometimes it’s difficult to use FS among clones/illusions cos they get hit and die, and I get condis on me. Also to burn a lot of ini for 1 boon is just not that great.

I find the fight easier when I stay close to mesmer as much as possible and play aggressively to force mesmer play defensively. Most players when they start panicing, they just try to run away and give you their back. GS aa also deals more dmg the farther you are from mes.

Try to use terrain to break line of sight and when using shadow refuge – I drop it next to wall/cliff etc so the mesmer can’t push me out of it. Or dodge inside SR.

I think x/D is better for dealing mesmers, C&D alone deals nice dmg (I am a zerker though, my C&D hits for 4-9k).

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Just bring a pd set along with you, running either Power or Condi you will wreck any mesmer if you play properly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRif5d7jU8w here is a duel vid of me using power pd duelings some really great mesmers players.

At the end of this vid I engage 2 memsers you get an idea of what you need to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWM1j05AlX4&feature=c4-overview&list=UULforKFmWjekyotM8u3OlyA

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

(edited by vincecontix.1264)

in Thief

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I’ll chime in (PD) and agree with jamming in close to the mesmer. The ones that give me trouble are the ones I can’t quite get in on. That just turns into the stalemate until one of us wanders off.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: ShadowNinja.1238

ShadowNinja.1238

He had might on dodge food plus the vigor trait i don’t think its PU just maybe random boon. He got lots of might with vigor and yeah that burst!

Ill buy a x/d thanks everyone!

in Thief

Posted by: aLovedhater.4096

aLovedhater.4096

if it was a pu mesmer, use stealth and play them until they make a mistake, then capitalize on it and kill them. also watch their buffs and make sure you arent backstabbing a block, made sure you’re backstabbing then
if it was a shatter then dodge their stun/chain lock, and your fine
is it was a power build then dodge the stuns and dont let them get a combo off, also dodge their GS illusion, it hurts and cripples if they have a trait for cripple.

and their mesmers, their clones = free CnD’s and you get free stealths from d/p anyways, i main D/P and i find it easy to beat pu mesmers, it takes a hell of a long time (sometimes) the only thing that i find annoying is that right when you pop out of stealth, the mesmer’s illusions (gs and duelist) will instantly attack you, so eat the dmg or save a dodge roll. if i wasn’t clear or if you ahve any more q’s feel free to ask

in Thief

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

If you’re scared of iZerker, the best you can do is learn to spot the cast animation and dodge it. The Mesmer holds the GS high up in the air with both arms right before the cast, it’s one of the more recognizable skills.
It’s also unblockable, so you WILL get hit and the phantasm will spawn and hurt you unless you either
a) stealth before the cast finishes
b) dodge it
c)obstruct LoS

Same goes for iDuelist really, but the animation is less obvious. If you can realiably deny a Mesmer phantasms, you are pretty much on top because you will almost always beat him at the stealth game.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

i fought a mesmer that was like PU…not exact but close. and alot of his dmg came while he was invis. when i got him low (10%) he would hide/invis on corner or whatever.

so i did the same. i was at 85% hp and used my utilities…not for defense like i should but to get more stealth and attacks from it (i never stealthed more than 1-2secs). i then started using CND CND CND til a couple of them recharged. he had super high hp/defense so it wasnt a quick burst game.

THEN…he calls me cheese and quits. im like well u hide behind stealth AND Artificial intelligence. ive been saying forever they need to put more of a burden from the clones to the mesmer. or atleast cut their stealth times in half. the way it is…mesmer can get into stealth much easier and more steadily than a thief can. if a thief uses stealth…hes low on inititiative or blowing a 50-60 sec cooldown utility.

when a PU mesmer goes stealth…its for 3-4 secs at a time….. but the thing is they never really get “revealed” bc its their clones doing all the work… not an actual attack from themselves. its redic and cheese.

TIP: never feel bad losing to PU mesmer. the truth is you lost to the game…not the player behind it.

TIP 2: thieves guild thieves are weaker than clones…. (traited clones)….even knowing this if u were able to make 3 thieves at a time every few secs at will…u would crush the mesmer. MOST mesmers (like warriors) are not good. they are just relying on AI to do the work. blowing up or dmging from the “gs clone”