How to deal with condis?

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Sword? I hope not. Im running into alot of necros these days who can drop just about every condition in the game on you in maybe 5 seconds. I literally just have to run away before I melt. How are people dealing with so many conditions?

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Are you talking about WvW or PvP?
Shadow’s Embrace is a good source of condition removal in WvW, but it’s not viable in PvP (as every other trait in the Shadow Arts traitline).
Pain Response is great, because every 30s you get a cleanse from 3 out of 5 damaging conditions (sadly, no Torment/Confusion cleanse). Sadly, it forces you to go 20 into Acrobatics, which is good only in a Sword setup.
So, your options are quite limited. Hide in Shadows is good, but it has a long CD. Lyssa runes are another option (if you’re facing a necro I suggest using it after he uses Signet of Spite).
That’s pretty much it though.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Infiltrator’s Return is good for managing conditions. It’s not fantastic and you don’t want to spam it to clear conditions, but if you need to heal and have only poison or have just had a bunch of bleeds applied, you’ll appreciate the cleanse.

Pain Response is fantastic defense against condition burst if you’re quickly brought below that 75% threshold by conditions. It’s also good removal if the timing is right, capable of removing a bunch of damaging conditions while you’re fighting.

Shadows Embrace is good, but requires being able to enter stealth reliably, and while you’re sitting in stealth to remove conditions, you’re not attacking. This method of cleansing gives your opponent breathing room too.

Alternatives outside traits and skills are runes and sigils. Lyssa is very popular providing a full condition cleanse every 45 seconds with Basilisk Venom, but the downside is you lose a damage modifier bonus you could get with another rune set, and you might want to use Basilisk Venom for its effect when you have no conditions on you.

Superior Sigil of Purity, and Superior Sigil or Generosity are both good, especially alongside Infiltrator’s Return. Generosity especially since it sends the condition back to your opponent.

The other way is to go for reduced condition duration through runes and food.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

Interesting you asked since yesterday I kept having a 2v2 vs a guardian and a necro in WvW, with a condi thief as my partner.

The Necro I think was a wellmancer power type.

I lost the first fight badly but then won 3 or 4 more. The key for me was having lots of patience. Get your burst in then stealth and move away. The wells are on Long CD – shadow’s embrace is absolutely key and I use HiS as well.

Against this Necro I found that an early shadowstep in to attack was good rather than steal – after my burst I shadowstepped out and removed 3 condis.

You can burst down necros if you immobilize them or perhaps he was bad, but i dont think so.

I have more trouble with engis – anyone have tips on how to beat engis in WvW?

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

hihey.1075

If they are so cheap as to use Supply Crate mid fight, Take out your SBow, AoE the turrets and reset the fight. It is an extremely cheap skill and don’t feel bad if you have to reset the fight because of it.
If they don’t use Supply Crate, just know that their cooldowns are limited. They have some powerful defensive tools, but they still have a cooldown. Also, since they are forced to run Rabid, they will be “quite” squishy: 4-5 backstabs will be enough to kill them. Just play the waiting game and let them blow their CDs while you are in stealth.
It’s a tough fight, even tougher if you are fighting in a narrow spot.

Another thing: engis completely lack ranged weapons. So kiting them with your SBow can be really effective . Just be sure to take it out when you have Shadow Refuge ready, so that you can use it to wait the needed time to swap weapons again.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Another thing: engis completely lack ranged weapons. So kiting them with your SBow can be really effective . Just be sure to take it out when you have Shadow Refuge ready, so that you can use it to wait the needed time to swap weapons again.

I’m not sure which game you are playing, but Engineers have a lot of ranged attacks. It largely depends on spec though, as to how effective they are.

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

hihey.1075

I’m not sure which game you are playing, but Engineers have a lot of ranged attacks. It largely depends on spec though, as to how effective they are.

Pistol 1, Pistol 2, Pistol 3… then what else? If you get hit by Grenades while kiting you are doing something wrong.
Elixir Gun? You can almost avoid its attacks by strafing.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

Another thing: engis completely lack ranged weapons.

Wat.

Please show me an engineer melee weapon that is not part of a kit, because I obviously missed out on something.

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

hihey.1075

Another thing: engis completely lack ranged weapons.

Wat.

Please show me an engineer melee weapon that is not part of a kit, because I obviously missed out on something.

I apologize – I used the wrong words.
What I wanted to say is that engis apply most of their condi pressure in melee-short range (Grenades, Bombs, Pry Bar). If you fight them while keeping a 600-700 distance you won’t have any problems with them unless you get pulled (which should be avoided) or unless they use the iWin Supply Crate.
I play Engi too, and I know the weaknesses of this class. Fighting against a good thief who kites with Shortbow is extremely difficult for me.
Of course this is different in PvP, since you have to stay inside that circle to give a meaning to your fight, but I don’t think we’re talking about that here?

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

I notice that many classes run Melandru Runes and Lemongrass/Poultry soup, but rarely see this set-up recommended for Thieves? Any specific reason(s)?

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

I notice that many classes run Melandru Runes and Lemongrass/Poultry soup, but rarely see this set-up recommended for Thieves? Any specific reason(s)?

Probably because most thieves run pretty glassy builds, because this is the best way to take advantage of backstabbing – end the fight before it really gets started, or throw people into a panic when you suddenly appear and take away most of their health. Melnadru runes/soup offer 0 offensive buffs, and (most) thieves are all about offense.

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

hihey.1075

That’s because Shadow’s Embrace is usually enough to deal with most condi classes. However I must admit that when facing Necros or Engis I might put on -36% condi duration food as if they are any good they will put too much condi pressure on me to go on the offensive.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

How to deal with condis?

in Thief

Posted by: Swagginator.3246

Swagginator.3246

lol, see it this way, a necro will destroy you if you get caught in his fear and you don’t have teleport to break it.

it’s managable without that utility though. you have to rely on evades or you’re destroyed, the bleeds poison and a dhuumfire proc + staff fear, ds fear and wall fear alone WILL kill you if you don’t have anything to counter it.
if you see everything on cooldown, relax, grab a cigarette and watch your thief die slowly… i mean within those 5 seconds…